1/2 Price Electric Bills!

nidge

I just heard that the lady next door went to pay her electric bill yesterday and was told all electric bills are half price until January. :D

Are you serious? I just posted on the free water topic and it seems like my electric had gone up 10% over the last 3 months. I hope this is true. :o

As I've given up all other vices I allow myself unrestricted air con when I want it. Our electric bill is usually 1100 baht so what with that and the free water I get to save about 600 baht. Now I won't sleep tonight thinking on how I can spend it ! :o

There are several other topics open about this.

The water and electric bills will be free to those that use up to a given number of units per month.

Don't quote this number but I think for the water its 50 units and the electric is 80 units.

The government is trying to help those that are on low income and can be energy efficient with the huge increases seen due to oil prices. It is o be free until the Feb. invoices I think

My water bill was free this month and we just paid the electric as there is no way I could live on 80 units a month.

There are several other topics open about this.

The water and electric bills will be free to those that use up to a given number of units per month.

Don't quote this number but I think for the water its 50 units and the electric is 80 units.

I can't remember the exact number of units either.

For electricity, there are different limits. The lowest number of units is free, the next band is a 50% reduction.

Electric is free up to 80 units, until January, half price 81-150 units.

At a rough calculation, if your bill is more than 400 baht you don't get a discount/ freebie.

It is part of the governments anti-hardship measures, which include fuel subsidies and free bus/ train fares.

More info here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Water-Bill-t203798.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Water-Bill-S...se-t205713.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Free-Water-t205528.html

Edited by sweetchariot

I started living in an apartment building and pay under 3k/month for a fan room. 1/2 of the 40 rooms have A/C and cost over 3k. The landlord's accountant said his building didn't qualify. He didn't know why. How can I find out if this is true? Also the Bangkok Post article said the owner has to register by Aug 15, so I don't know if I'm out of luck for the full 6 months.

Just to totally clarify the position regarding electricity and water bills:

ELEC:

Use less than 80 units / month ..... Free usage

Use more than 80 units, but less than 150 units / month...... 50% discount.

Use more than 150 units / month ...... pay standard charge per unit. No discount allowed on any part of the bill.

WATER:

Use less than 50,000 litres / month ..... Free usage

Use more than 50,000 litres / month....... Standard charge per unit. No discount allowed.

Above rates are valid up to and including January 2009.

Hope that helps folks!

WATER:

Use less than 50,000 litres / month ..... Free usage

Use more than 50,000 litres / month....... Standard charge per unit. No discount allowed.

Above rates are valid up to and including January 2009.

Hope that helps folks!

Thanks, it sure does and probably explains why I didn't get a water bill this month - it's about 10 days overdue.

It seems a very, very high level to give it away free at - 50 cubic metres! My bill has only twice got to 30 m3 (excluding the 1,000 m3 erroneous bill :o).

I guess the meter reader just keeps the bill if it's less than 50m3.

• 4 months later...

My girlfriend says that the free electricity has been extended past January 2009, but the report said that the numbers have changed. Does anyone have the updated kWatt usage numbers where discounts will apply? A few months ago my gf's family home came in at 149 KWatt Hours, wheeew. Or maybe I'm just being too cheap.

--matt

What are the chances that those of us living in apartments will get to see any of these savings? None I suspect.

Correct, you're landlord is hardly likely to tell you. :o

If you are paying your electricity to the apartment block then they will be using over the limit and so they are paying the full amount.

Another reason why, if possible, you should always deal direct with the electricity company.

• 1 year later...