Printer Ink Replacement Options?

NguuMuu

I know there are a few posts around here that discuss various aspects of this topic, but I am still unsure of what I should do. My printer (canon pixma ip4500) is running low on ink. It seems there are a few choices to take care of this.

1. Buy new, but expensive canon ink cartridges (CLI-8 at ~475 baht each). Over 2000 baht to replace all the cartridges!

2. Buy some 'generic' cartridges. I'm not sure about this one. What copy-cat brands are decent? How do I know the cartrdige will fir into my printer? How much do these cost?

3. Bring in my cartridges and get them refilled. I don't know about this one either. How much does it cost? What brands? How is this done? Do I just bring in the cartridges, or does some adjustment (hardware or software) need to be made to the printer as well?

4. Buy syringes and refill it myself. Again, I don't know much about this except that I've seen other posts where the users refill it themselves. Seems to be very cheap. Any additional info on this would be appreciated.

5. Somehow mess with the printer's software, or shake the cartridges because they are probably not as empty as the software is telling me.

So anyway, I am definitely interested in saving money on this, but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality. I am not so concerned about the warranty since I think it's already past expiration. Are all of these choices possible with my printer, and what would be the best value?

Thanks!

Guest Reimar
I know there are a few posts around here that discuss various aspects of this topic, but I am still unsure of what I should do. My printer (canon pixma ip4500) is running low on ink. It seems there are a few choices to take care of this.

1. Buy new, but expensive canon ink cartridges (CLI-8 at ~475 baht each). Over 2000 baht to replace all the cartridges!

2. Buy some 'generic' cartridges. I'm not sure about this one. What copy-cat brands are decent? How do I know the cartrdige will fir into my printer? How much do these cost?

3. Bring in my cartridges and get them refilled. I don't know about this one either. How much does it cost? What brands? How is this done? Do I just bring in the cartridges, or does some adjustment (hardware or software) need to be made to the printer as well?

4. Buy syringes and refill it myself. Again, I don't know much about this except that I've seen other posts where the users refill it themselves. Seems to be very cheap. Any additional info on this would be appreciated.

5. Somehow mess with the printer's software, or shake the cartridges because they are probably not as empty as the software is telling me.

So anyway, I am definitely interested in saving money on this, but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality. I am not so concerned about the warranty since I think it's already past expiration. Are all of these choices possible with my printer, and what would be the best value?

Thanks!

Maybe you go for an external Tanksystem. Cost about 1,500 the first time incl. ink, 50-100 ml per color which is 5-10 times the normal Cartridge quantity, and rifill over the tank as they goes empty. If you print in average quite a bit, that's the best solution.

Cheers.

ext tank is a great option.  I don't do enough printing to worry about it, I worry about keeping the head clean because I don't use enough.  Refill is cheap at any ITciti etc. I was paying 40 a cart. before I started doing it myself.  I spent 180baht on all the colors and its been lasting a vary long time.  Mine are easy to fill some are a little bit arder.  Just google your type and refilling instructions.  I found pictures and even short vid on how to for mine.

1. For home use highly recommend - Canon is not the rip-off that some ink is and is much higher quality than any second party tank.

2. Found IJ good but do not believe cost/quality effective for normal home use - if you are printing a large amount then I would consider them.

3. You take your chance - I had about 20% disaster using refilled tanks and a big mess to clean up printer after they leaked. Not really much cheaper than 2 where you at least have a new tank. Canon does not use the Epson chip system and run till dry if you want.

4. About the same price as 3 above and at least they have some experience. My only try resulted in total disaster.

5. Canon, at least my 4000 Pixma, advises when getting low (about 15-20 prints remaining) but does not stop printing until completely dry unless you want to do so.

As said if you are running commercial quantities the external tanks make sense - although the ink quality probably will not be as good.

Using second party tanks/refills can really give some crap results - so remember it may just be the ink and not a printer problem.

Guest Reimar
1. For home use highly recommend - Canon is not the rip-off that some ink is and is much higher quality than any second party tank.

2. Found IJ good but do not believe cost/quality effective for normal home use - if you are printing a large amount then I would consider them.

3. You take your chance - I had about 20% disaster using refilled tanks and a big mess to clean up printer after they leaked. Not really much cheaper than 2 where you at least have a new tank. Canon does not use the Epson chip system and run till dry if you want.

4. About the same price as 3 above and at least they have some experience. My only try resulted in total disaster.

5. Canon, at least my 4000 Pixma, advises when getting low (about 15-20 prints remaining) but does not stop printing until completely dry unless you want to do so.

As said if you are running commercial quantities the external tanks make sense - although the ink quality probably will not be as good.

Using second party tanks/refills can really give some crap results - so remember it may just be the ink and not a printer problem.

If you use Pigment Ink in an external system, which I do, you'll not get problems with printheads. I use the Pigment Ink in an Epson R310 now 4 1/2 years, mainly for CD-Printing and didn't had problems.

Used an Canon with original Cartridges (BJC 6000) 1 year 3 printheads and I print a lot! Used the Caning Prixma 4500 with Tanks and original Canon Ink same problem as with BJC 6000. After changing to Pigment Ink, when had get a new Printhead, no more problems, except the quality isn't as a Epson. So I changed that Printer final to an Epson R 290.

Cheers.

I had the same head problem with OEM carts as well as my refills, if its sets for two weeks I have to dip the thing in warm water dab with lint free and they are fine again as for the print Quality I have seen no change cheap printer, cheap copy.  :o

For a Pixma 4500, not as easy as that. I had one previously.

The cartridges (4 or 5, forget how many) each have a chip on them, which records how much ink is used from that cartridge.

The printer will not work unless all the cartridges are functioning. If one cartridge runs dry, you must replace it.

If you use a generic, you must transfer the chip from the empty (Canon) cartridge onto the generic. But you must then go through a lengthy process to "fool" the printer that the new (generic) cartridge is genuine. And of course if you do that, you have no warranty.

Similar issues if you try to refill a genuine cartridge. The chip remembers that it is/was empty, and again an elaborate process to get it working (if indeed you can).

Good luck.

I found that mine does something like that.  If I tell it a refill is new it won't print, it knows that cart. is old.  restart printer pull out cart  and put it back and tell it is old and works fine.  Never tell it an old is new it won't work.  Some may have other controls which shows that most printer makers are in the cart. biz and not printers, but most have a work around.

The cartridges (4 or 5, forget how many) each have a chip on them, which records how much ink is used from that cartridge.

The printer will not work unless all the cartridges are functioning. If one cartridge runs dry, you must replace it.

If you use a generic, you must transfer the chip from the empty (Canon) cartridge onto the generic. But you must then go through a lengthy process to "fool" the printer that the new (generic) cartridge is genuine. And of course if you do that, you have no warranty.

Similar issues if you try to refill a genuine cartridge. The chip remembers that it is/was empty, and again an elaborate process to get it working (if indeed you can).

Good luck.

So I take it you were never able to manage this? If not, I guess I'll just have to settle for the expensive canon inks....

Good luck.

So I take it you were never able to manage this? If not, I guess I'll just have to settle for the expensive canon inks....

I did - sort of. Results were patchy (I tried both the generic cartridges, and refills), and very frustrating. In the end I reverted to genuine (and very costly) Canon.

Having said that, this occurred while I was still in Oz. It maybe that the clever Thai refill industry does it better than Oz - and will less legal constraints eg when I was investigating the possibilities in Oz, I read that the chips attached to the original cartridges are patented. Otherwise the generics manufacturers could simply copy the chip, and place it on their cartridges.

It is probably well worth a visit to somewhere like Pantip (assuming you are in Bangkok).

I use the after market ink well system in my Epson. It is a little quirky & had to spend 200 extra baht to redo one of the fillers, but is well worth the cost if you do much color printing. For really good pictures I have a photo shop take care so the colors last .

I have saved in a year well over 300 baht after the 2000 baht investment. ( make sure you wear grubbies when you fill the ink or your clothing cost will go up!) Oh & I wouldn't be to concerned with a warranty. I bought my printer at IT city & it is easier to repurchace than wait for 4 or 5 dweebs to play with the printer scratch their bozak for 4-5 hrs while I wait.

Edited by Beardog