Cheaper option to phone thai?

cofession

How can i phone thailand cheaper than BT's £1.09 a minute on my house phone.I have seen these numbers you can phone first and get it cheaper but don't know if there dodgy or not,some help would be nice as i'm spending a fortune.

thanks for your help Ben............. ???  ?

Try this http://www.telediscount.co.uk/accessnumbers.php#T

We use it - went over from onetel.

Thailand Land Line 4p per min.

Thailand Mobile 10p per min.

Scribbed this from their site:

1. Dial the access number for the country you would like to call.

2. Now dial the international number to get connected - that's all!

The price stated behind every access number is all-inclusive. There are no further subscription or connection costs (except when calling from a mobile phone ...

Access numbers are:

Thailand (landline) 4ppm - 0844 4 280 280

Thailand (mobile) 10ppm - 0911 9 122 122

Good luck. :o

Thanks alot for alot your input,much appriciared,that 4p a minute is unbeliable,i'll be able to feed the thai family again.i had a good look on the website and still abit unsure of how you get charged.Do bt charge 4p a minute and the company takes it share from them? thanks you all Ben........ :o

If you have internet access, you can use www.dialpad.com to call anywhere worldwide. Rates to Thailand are about 0.09c per minute. Voice quality is clear and overall their service comes recommended.

Sound quality is not too good on telediscount; onetel is much better, in fact as good as any full price call. Most of the phone card operates have really poor line quality; telediscound is much better than these, though. Telediscount is probably ok if calling Bangkok; up country can be hit and miss.

I'm quite happy to pay onetel rates rather than have a conversation where I constantly have to repeat myself, or shout to get the line opened up! How can telediscount do it so cheaply, its even cheaper than making a call from up country where my house is to Bangkok, and I assume all the phone operates will route through Bangkok.

cofession, yep they own trunk lines (rent from BT?) - You phone and the call is charged to your BT bill, they then get Xfer charged by the company - just like an 0898 number. BT keep say 1p and the company keep the rest. The Co. pay rental for the trunk line, not per call, so as long as the user base is up, they get profit.

Mai Chai, usually make calls to Helsinki and Bangkok, line seems OK for these. Occasionally wifey calls Thoern (Lam Pang) which is just below Chiang Mai, and she says its they same as OneTel - I think the problem is the phones Thai side upcountry. My wife has the usual Thai preoccupation with shouting so loud on the phone that she hardly needs to use a phone at all! so probably doesn't notice too much. I would have thought all incoming international calls are routed through the same exchanges anyway - I just suppose the problem could come with a mismatched user/bandwidth ratio - too many calls going down too few lines (like the card companies) - although I would thought most calls to Thailand would be directed at Bangkok (?)

Note on the web site it says 4p to Bangkok. It is probably more for other Provinces because they would be charged for routing too and pass that along.

Why just talk on the phone, see your loved-ones live on video. I can yak and see all day if i want and its for Free(because I have 24/7 internet access) In Bkk 1 telephone call is 3 mins regardless of time + internet access 63hours 600thb.So all in all the square root of 0 (1.5p per min ) to talk with 99% clarity and 85% visual.

I got fed up with the phone bills, so I made a small investment and bought a PC with a webcam, headset and BINGO we can talk and see each other when ever we want, maybe just a quick call to say log on, or send a text. On average I can talk 2 - 3 hours a day and my private phone bill is next to nothing, and by the way its (great if you want cyber sex)

Alpha blue card available at newsagents in the UK. 40mins for £5. There is no accesss charges or any other hidden charges just phone from a landline not a public pay phone. Be careful of access charges and hiden costs with other deals.

I can confirm Tele Discount is 4p per minute to Sukhothai. If I remember rightly, its 8 baht a minute Sukhothai to Bangkok; thats about 12p per minute... So how do they do it; telephone business is not exactly opened up to competition in Thailand.

I can confirm Tele Discount is 4p per minute to Sukhothai. If I remember rightly, its 8 baht a minute Sukhothai to Bangkok; thats about 12p per minute... So how do they do it

May be they have more than one direct exchange - i.e. no routing from BKK - 1 in each biggish town perhaps.

Just a guess. ???

• 3 weeks later...

OH BABY !

Check the link out at the bottom of my post, follow it

and you should find in their somewhere a card with a tiger

on, buy the £50 card , trust me it works fine.

I personally use this to phone "loom" from uk at 2.2p

a minute, then bought a t-mobile 750mins a month

for £14.

As for phoning a mobile, look for another card around the

7p - 8p mark and use this when phoning a mobile, I've

just bought a £20 planet talk (alien in ufo) for this at 6.7p per minute but it's naff, so I would stay clear of there make.

Let me know if you find a good source on the mobile,

PS. It's good 2 talk !  :o

• 5 years later...
How can i phone thailand cheaper than BT's £1.09 a minute on my house phone.I have seen these numbers you can phone first and get it cheaper but don't know if there dodgy or not,some help would be nice as i'm spending a fortune.

thanks for your help Ben............. ??? ?

Hi, I use VOIP, through a company called Pennytel, www.pennytel.com I use the unlimited plan, which means I pay 5 dollars Austrailian per month and for this I get 60 free calls per month (of any length) then about 3 pence per call wether it is 5 min or 1 hour this is to both landlines and mobiles.. I have used it for a couple of years now and it saves me a fortune. I have callserve (www.callserve.com) as a back-up just in case it goes down, which is very infrequent. callserve is less than 1 pence per min.

Hope you get sorted soon

David