The Sack Race

ThaiPauly

Well this season's "sack race" is underway and after 2 games there already seems to be pressure mounting on a couple of Premiership Managers.

The teams that have come up have by and large done OK, even though WBA have not won a game yet I think that Brom will stik with him for a while longer.

There seems to be a lot of discontent at West Ham from the fans POV. Only one big money summer signing, and Ferdinand now sold to Sunderland Zamora (who I believe was a good influence in the changing room) off to Fulham and a poor result at Man City yesterday could see AC heading for the exit door before to much longer. Belamy and Dyer still out injured must mean they are short on attacking options which maybe should have been addressed?

In an even worse predicament is Ramos at Spurs. Tottenham were expected to make an impact on the top four this season, but having let Keane go and surely Berbatov to follow leaves them up shit creek in my opinion and Ashvin's agent has said that he definately won't be going to Spurs...which means that no Berbatov, no Keane and no Defoe this year...and no points........

Gary Megson was close to losing his job last season, an indiferent start could get worse, the Bolton Board will want to see them pushing on for Europe as they were doing under Big Sam so Megson has to produce the goods or walk one way otr the other.

Roy Hodgson has made some decent signings and the win over Arsenal proves I think that this year wil not be the scrap for survival that last year was, which he got Fulham out of brilliantly.

That really just leaves Steve Bruce at Wigan. But even in defeat at home to Chelsea yesterday they looked a capable side, I think he is safe considering that there is not much expectation at Wigan, they know that every year is just a fight for survival.

So to sum up after just 2 games my predictions are:

Ist to go Ramos

2nd Curbishly

3rd Megson

In the Fizzy...you gotta feel sorry for Paul Jewell, Derby have not won a league game since last September and he has yet to win one as a manager. He has brought in 7 new faces, but how long will the board keep faith with him if they continue to lose. They now find themselves in the bottom three after 3 games and are facing back to back relegations if they don't start winning. Realistically I feel that if they have still not won by the middle of September he will resign, with Chris Hutchings probably taking over (sounds familiar) !!!..or Maybe Ian Holloway or Big Sam...after all Derby are a BIG club with BIG support...who knows? But Sam may hang out to get his job back at Bolton, the board obviously know he is still out of work, but won't be forever

What do you guys reckon?

I don't reckon Ramos will go. This will be his first full season in charge. He has not got off to a great start but to sack him now would be a once of the worst decisions in the history of THFC!

AC at West Ham has been under pressure for a while now. He doesnt seem to have won over the fans at all and the 3-0 defeat against City has not done him any favours. Moyes at Everton has not made any signings so far so he is going into the season without adding to his side. I think he is under pressure this season and might well be the first casualty.

My prediction is:

1. Moyes

2. Curbishley

3. Megson

moyes is a good call, but he's more likely to walk than be pushed. unless of course some mug decides to invest in everton.

think hodgson will be safe as houses at fulham, ince will probably be given time at blackburn and hughes should be alright at city whoever owns them.

I think the prem has pretty much been covered in terms of who will be first to go. Although I fully expect Keegan to walk as soon as things get tough.

For the CC championship. Jewell to go along with Boothroyd at Watford..........also Mcleish could go if Birmingham dont put in a sustained challenge.

As for the other two divisions.......that's anybody's guess as they seem to change managers at the drop of a hat !

Fergie to have a heart attack and keano leaves sunderland.

you heard it here first.

STOKE CITY to avoid the drop after signings 3 more quality players

much as i would go out and get drunk if that happened, if ferguson was going to have a heart attack he would have had one long before now.

I think the prem has pretty much been covered in terms of who will be first to go. Although I fully expect Keegan to walk as soon as things get tough.

For the CC championship. Jewell to go along with Boothroyd at Watford..........also Mcleish could go if Birmingham dont put in a sustained challenge.

As for the other two divisions.......that's anybody's guess as they seem to change managers at the drop of a hat !

I bet Billy Davies is laughing.Gets Derby promoted on a relatively small budget then gets the sack in the Premiership when they only win 1 out of the first 10.Paul Jewell is appointed,wins none of the remaining 28 Premiership games and now Derby are in the bottom 3 of the Championship despite him promising to get them promoted !

Think Jewell is skating on very thin ice.Surely no Premiership club would think about employing him in the future but thought that about Gary Megson :o

you heard it here first.

Wishful thinking by obviously a spurned spurs fan. (the part about fergie and keano)

If Mr Ince returns to UP & comes away with 3 points next week, the locals will definately be heard with their thoughts of Mr Curbishley still being in charge of the Club & he would then be hanging on by the skin of his teeth in my opinion..

If Mr Ince returns to UP & comes away with 3 points next week, the locals will definately be heard with their thoughts of Mr Curbishley still being in charge of the Club & he would then be hanging on by the skin of his teeth in my opinion..

Problem here is everyone seems to have decided he's going & that's that. For me, Curbs is on a loser what ever he does.

you heard it here first.

Wishful thinking by obviously a spurned spurs fan. (the part about fergie and keano)

Spurs fan,where did you get that one from.Did stoke city to avoid the drop not give you a hint,wakey wakey lol.

1. Curbishley - he's just never been accepted fully by the fans, and with a poor start, he's a deadman walking, even after two games.

2. Mugson -he's crap, and everyone knows it. Even the Bolton fan who I was out drinking with on Saturday said he'd be pleased to see him go.

3. Benitez- This is surely his last chance, and with all the discontent behind the scenes, it would be no suprise to see him go. Reasonable start so far, but look unimpressive, will be interesting to see how they fair against some of the stronger sides in the coming month. If they are left behing by December then surely it's only a matter of time. Will he learn from his previous mistakes? Who knows. I should say who cares, but don't want to upset Scouse. :o

Benitez is an interesting call. Wasn't he persuaded not to quit just recently over the Barry saga? He would walk before being pushed I would think.

Agree, that he is more likely to walk, bit it's difficult to realy understand what is going on with the owners. He could end up being the victim of the power struggle. In the end, he certainly needs to improve his results, can't see the Liverpool fans tolerating another season of mediocrity.

Benitez is an interesting call. Wasn't he persuaded not to quit just recently over the Barry saga? He would walk before being pushed I would think.

Agree, that he is more likely to walk, bit it's difficult to realy understand what is going on with the owners. He could end up being the victim of the power struggle. In the end, he certainly needs to improve his results, can't see the Liverpool fans tolerating another season of mediocrity.

liverpool fans are pretty understanding in the main and realise that the manager can't do the job he wants to do with one hand tied behind his back. this summer he has wanted to address key areas of his team and hasn't been allowed to, mainly thanks to the behaviour of those in administrative roles at the club.

that said, this season could be his make or break. . . .if we challenge properly for the title, i.e. are in the race with a month to go, have a good run in europe and pick up one of the domestic cups, most reds fans would be happy. we know we can't compete realistically with manyoo and chelsea. but exit europe early, be out of the title challenge in january / february and there will be major questions to be answered.

Poor old PJ got the vote of confidence from the Derby board...but after today's defeat at Barnsley they are now BOTTOM of the Fizzy

Surely it's time for him to admit "I am a <deleted> manager...where's the exit door"

I would really hate to be a Derby fan...what a crock of <deleted> they are

Edited as i am pissed and elated that Reading came from 2-1 down to beat Palace 4-2...oh happy days are here again

Edited by ThaiPauly

From an article by Nobby Piles in todays BKP about the sack race.

Quote from Bryan Robson " When the team wins it's down to the players...when they loose it's down to the Manager"

What a <deleted> job...only Fergie , Arsen, and Big Phil can count on their jobs beig secure right now

Every team below them including Raffa cannot say with confidence that their job is secure...although I reckon O'Neill, Southgate and Harry are pretty safe.

DEBATE?

Edied down to smelling pistakes

Edited by ThaiPauly

From an article by Nobby Piles in todays BKP about the sack race.

Quote from Bryan Robson " When the team wins it's down to the players...when they loose it's down to the Manager"

What a <deleted> job...only Fergie , Arsen, and Big Phil can count on their jobs beig secure right now

Every team below them including Raffa cannot say with confidence that their job is secure...although I reckon O'Neill, Southgate and Harry are pretty safe.

DEBATE?

Edied down to smelling pistakes

Think you're right about the managers who are pretty safe.

Curbishley has lived to fight another day, but still looks precarious. Newcastle were dire yesterday, so much for their revival, looked like they did last season, prepare for Keegan to skulk of to the toilet, cry and resign at some point. I still reckon Mugson is in with a good chance of getting the boot. Pressure could really be on Benitez too, and they have a pretty uncompromising European group, which has normally been there saving grace in previous seasons.

BTW, Paul Jewell is clearly a dead man walking in hius current job. One win in 7 months is it?

Below are what the bookies reckon. If I was allowed a teb I'd put a few Bob on Moyes & Benitez ( I wonder what price for a good Merseyside clearout... :o .)

The First Premiership Manager to be sacked or go

odds as at 28/8/08

M Hughes 5/2 S Bruce 12/1 H Redknapp 20/1

A Curbishley 11/2 D Moyes 14/1 A Ferguson 25/1

K Keegan 6/1 P Brown 14/1 A Wenger 33/1

P Ince 13/2 G Southgate 14/1 L Scolari 33/1

G Megson 10/1 R Keane 16/1 J Ramos 33/1

R Hodgson 10/1 R Benitez 16/1 M O Neill 33/1

T Mowbray 12/1 T Pulis 16/1 No Manager to Go 66/

Latest Manager Sacking Odds

11/2 favourite to be the first to go and also offer: 13/2 Keegan; 7/1 Megson; 8/1 Hughes; 10/1 Ince; 12/1 Benitez; Hodgson; Moyes; Pulis; Southgate; 16 Brown; 20 Mowbray; Redknapp; 25 Bruce; Keane; 33 Ferguson; O’Neill; Ramos; 50 Scolari; Wenger; None to go.

Below are what the bookies reckon. If I was allowed a teb I'd put a few Bob on Moyes & Benitez ( I wonder what price for a good Merseyside clearout... :o .)

The First Premiership Manager to be sacked or go

odds as at 28/8/08

M Hughes 5/2 S Bruce 12/1 H Redknapp 20/1

A Curbishley 11/2 D Moyes 14/1 A Ferguson 25/1

K Keegan 6/1 P Brown 14/1 A Wenger 33/1

P Ince 13/2 G Southgate 14/1 L Scolari 33/1

G Megson 10/1 R Keane 16/1 J Ramos 33/1

R Hodgson 10/1 R Benitez 16/1 M O Neill 33/1

T Mowbray 12/1 T Pulis 16/1 No Manager to Go 66/

Latest Manager Sacking Odds

11/2 favourite to be the first to go and also offer: 13/2 Keegan; 7/1 Megson; 8/1 Hughes; 10/1 Ince; 12/1 Benitez; Hodgson; Moyes; Pulis; Southgate; 16 Brown; 20 Mowbray; Redknapp; 25 Bruce; Keane; 33 Ferguson; O'Neill; Ramos; 50 Scolari; Wenger; None to go.

I take it the favourite in the " Latest Manager Sacking Odds " is Curbishley ??

There's an awful lot in the Papers this sunday & over the past few days that after the England Game next week, Mr Biulic could be returning to UP..

I'm not a massively Curbishley Fan BUT.............He kept us up when we were all but down, stabalized us brillitantly last year even if we didn't oplay the most attractive Football & this year, has given the Club it's best return in it's first 3 Premiership Games..

How mad is it that this Guy, based on the above, is still the Bookies favourtite ?? :D

After watching the Villa v Liverpool game, I'd say that Benitez's odds are shortening. As one of my scouse friends said, it was "<deleted> crap, and that's being kind".

They weren't great that's for sure..

With no Gerrard & without Torres for 60 mins, they look very average, but so would any Team with them 2 missing i would have thought..

This from soccernet.

Keegan quit rumours hit Newcastle

Updated: September 2, 2008, 12:12 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Kevin Keegan is rumoured to have quit as Newcastle United manager following a meeting with the club's directors on Monday night, according to Sky Sports.

Keegan did not take training on Tuesday morning and the Magpies are yet to comment on the speculation.

More follows...