PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

And now, as paranoia begins to set in...
Sondhi Discourages Female Protesters from Approaching Him

UPDATE : 28 August 2008

Sondhi Limthongkul, a key PAD leader, has warned female PAD protesters not to approach him. He cited a report that indicate a heavy presence of female undercover police officers in the midst of the rally.

He asked the female PAD protesters not to approach him and warned that any female who 'rush at' or approach him will be identified as undercover police officers.

Sondhi claimed some members of the human shield that surrounded the PAD leaders last night were members of the police.

I encourage female protesters to approach me instead and I don't mind if they are undercover policegirls as long as they are cute :o

Edited by h90

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who can read Thai, the Network of Conciliation for Political Revolution (note it's my own interpretation) which consists of several professors from various universities has sent an open letter to the government asking them to resign to take the responsibility for having abused their executive power in trying to forcefully amend the constution just for Thaksin's and their own sake...which has led to the current crisis. Here's the letter:

Of course, changing the constitution whilst you're in office is a dispicable thing to do, much better to stage a coup and change the constitution that way.

Why didn't they wanna go for a public hearing before the amendment? Why did they have to rush? Why did they only wanna amend the articles that'd put them in jail? Why didn't they wait and try to use the current constitution for a few years while solving other more urgent national problems like economy or education before actually reasonably amending it?

Amending the constitution itself is not wrong, we've been doing it for ages but it's how and what they wanna do with it that's been creating the crisis. Anyone who has even remotely followed the Thai politics should have known this without anyone telling him. Where have you been in the last few months?

PAD: Victory to Be Achieved with Govt House Seizure until Sunday

The People's Alliance for Democracy core leaders state that if their rally at Government House continues until Sunday, the PAD will certainly announce its victory.

People's Alliance for Democracy core leaders, retired Major General Chamlong Srimuang and Somsak Kosaisook insist that if the PAD protest at Government House continues until Sunday, the group will be able to announce victory.

Chamlong and Somsak guarantee that there will be no violence generated from the gathering of the PAD at Government House. They say the PAD core leaders will not use the people who join the gathering as shields if the police break through their barriers to arrest the core leaders.

The PAD core leaders say they believe the PAD rally to oust the government will be joined by increasingly more people and by PAD affiliates from other provinces.

Yesterday, arrest warrants were issued for the five PAD core leaders, the PAD coordinator, and three other PAD members. The Civil Court has also granted an injunction, filed by the Prime Minister's Office, for the PAD protestors to remove themselves from Government House.

The PAD's lawyers have petitioned to the Appeals Court to consider halting the injunction. The PAD core leaders say since the court order is final, they will respect the injunction but ask for additional time to launch the appeals process. The leaders state that so far, no one has negotiated with the group as claimed earlier by the police.

The PAD core leaders insist that there will be no threat against the press, recording news and events at Government House. They say the PAD is not attempting to stop police work at Government House by deterring food and provisions from being sent to the police officers in there.

Meanwhile, another PAD core-leader, Sondhi Limthongkul states that he is ready for the arrest and denies that he will use rally members as a shield. Sondhi says he believes that if the PAD rally at Government House continues until Sunday, the group will gain victory.

So that human wall that was being trained last night was just a late-night exercise group?

On NBT, Pallop confirms that if Chamlong is arrested, he will take Chamlong's place.

Ah, the true nature of the beast is beginning to show! Heaven help dear Thailand if that man ever becomes PAD's appointed Prime Minister!

first time i can agree with your choice of foe. i detest the likes of pallop. but:

1. to my knowledge the pad is not planning to build a new government and pm, just oust the incompetent incumbents.

2. what if this is just a propaganda chess move? if samak arrests chamlong he will inherit and oppose pallop instead. scary, isn't it?

and pallop will have a lot friends within the army, that is for sure not something samak will like...

Alone all the southern paramilitars and former ex-communist units....if he can only talk a few of them in violent actions than you have a full scale civil war

Please enlighten me, do you wish to see the disappearance of vote buying or full scale civil war. There is rather a big difference.

How about Samak and the other clowns just resign and get some pardons at court and we get rid of both dangers?

Politics is about win or lose, especially in this country. If one steps down you get the other, so now is time to make up your mind which you prefer.

Politics is about working for the country, doing the best for the country. Not about winning the jackpot and filling your pockets.

Democracy is about getting the best one for the job, not about which clown knows the best tricks to fool the other.

On NBT, Pallop confirms that if Chamlong is arrested, he will take Chamlong's place.

Ah, the true nature of the beast is beginning to show! Heaven help dear Thailand if that man ever becomes PAD's appointed Prime Minister!

first time i can agree with your choice of foe. i detest the likes of pallop. but:

1. to my knowledge the pad is not planning to build a new government and pm, just oust the incompetent incumbents.

Glad we can agree on something! As I said before, I think most people here do share a common love for this Country, and each in their own way is seeking what they feel is best for Thailand.

Sadly, the New Politics of Sondhi clearly sets out his goal of a new 70/30 appointed/elected parliament, and people like Pallop, if he's riding the triumphant wave of leading the overthrow of the Government just don't have a habit of walking away into retirement. No, you can bet your bottom dollar he'll demand the top job, and from his past record he'll not be afraid of disposing of anyone, friend or foe, who stands in his way.

I hope for the sake of all that my prophesy is wrong, I NEVER want to have to post "I told you so" in this forum.

I don't know why you come again and again with that appointed parliament which is in that way you tell it simply not true.

Really??

Bloomberg

BKK POst

Politics is about working for the country, doing the best for the country. Not about winning the jackpot and filling your pockets.

Democracy is about getting the best one for the job, not about which clown knows the best tricks to fool the other.

This would be funny if it were true - it should be plainly obvious that many of the previous governments were more concerned about filling their pockets.

And I'm not a coup-for-all kind of guy, but the verdict that the supreme court's delivered to disband TRT and ban their executive members had pointed out the blatant weaknesses in the previous constitution. It let evil crooks like Thaksin and his people abuse their power in whichever way they'd like to illegally further enrich themselves without a proper check-and-balance system. With the current constitution, at aleast there's some respectable organizations which can still somewhat balance the power. Had it not been for the coup, Thailand might even be in a bigger mess than we are right now.

wow 56 pages of comments!

Thailand's current debacle is glowing proof of the problems that stem from buying votes and endemic corruption. Among other things, PAD supporters appear to be saying they have no faith in the ways things get done in Thailand, and not much faith that anyone (or any group) of politicians have the basic skills needed to govern decently - as PAD haven't put forward a candidate or cabinet to replace the current bunch of crooks and bumblers in the power seats.

Best would be a firm declaration from big shots on both sides of the fence - to do all the can to ensure fair elections - and then go forward on that. Nothing is going to clean up Thai politics anytime soon, but there may be some incremental emprovements over the years - if positive and decent attitudes are given vent.

2. what if this is just a propaganda chess move? if samak arrests chamlong he will inherit and oppose pallop instead. scary, isn't it?

and pallop will have a lot friends within the army, that is for sure not something samak will like...

Alone all the southern paramilitars and former ex-communist units....if he can only talk a few of them in violent actions than you have a full scale civil war

Please enlighten me, do you wish to see the disappearance of vote buying or full scale civil war. There is rather a big difference.

How about Samak and the other clowns just resign and get some pardons at court and we get rid of both dangers?

Politics is about win or lose, especially in this country. If one steps down you get the other, so now is time to make up your mind which you prefer.

So with the departure of Samak et al you would say that Pallop et al will simply go back into retirement on the golf course satisfied at having created a better world.

Which knight on a shining white horse then appears to save us all.

Nice idea, but without power, money or usage to those who have it, that better person is not going to get even remotely near the election stand.

For the moment we have to make do with what there is.

Glad we can agree on something! As I said before, I think most people here do share a common love for this Country, and each in their own way is seeking what they feel is best for Thailand.

Sadly, the New Politics of Sondhi clearly sets out his goal of a new 70/30 appointed/elected parliament, and people like Pallop, if he's riding the triumphant wave of leading the overthrow of the Government just don't have a habit of walking away into retirement. No, you can bet your bottom dollar he'll demand the top job, and from his past record he'll not be afraid of disposing of anyone, friend or foe, who stands in his way.

I hope for the sake of all that my prophesy is wrong, I NEVER want to have to post "I told you so" in this forum.

I don't know why you come again and again with that appointed parliament which is in that way you tell it simply not true.

Really??

Bloomberg

BKK POst

First of all that are commentary, second:

"New Politics turns out to be a startlingly reactionary proposal to move Thailand's parliamentary system towards a form of appointed corporatism, or what might be called a selectoral democracy: 30% of MPs would come from elections, perhaps one per province, and the rest of the MPs would derive from various occupations and associations. Mr Sonthi says the proportion is not fixed, it's up for debate."

This was a thinking by Sondhi, not hard facts. Something which can be discussed and no other of the leader ever spoke about it.

That's one single thing in a 24/7 speaking for almost 100 days.

It is a nice idea to change the story......forget about all the corruption and vote buying of the current government, because you found a few weird sentences somewhere.

30 % of elected MPs is that in your opinion more or less than the amount of current MPs without vote buying?

So with the departure of Samak et al you would say that Pallop et al will simply go back into retirement on the golf course satisfied at having created a better world.

Which knight on a shining white horse then appears to save us all.

Nice idea, but without power, money or usage to those who have it, that better person is not going to get even remotely near the election stand.

For the moment we have to make do with what there is.

Samak can ask HM the King for a temporary appointed government to repair the current problems. Whatever happens than will be accepted by everyone....

I think such things happened in the past.

So then, Sondhi first made the announcement that HRH The Crown Prince was not coming to the Government House venue and then Samak decided to follow it? :o

It's rather a lose/lose situation for Samak either way...

Incorrect, what Sondhi said is that there was no ceremony planned at Government House on saturday

So he just happened to guess absolutely correctly that Samak would change the venue and did so just before the decision was made? :D

Please read again: Sondhi didn't even know there was a ceremony planned. Otherwise, he would not have gone to the Government House and run the risk of inconveniencing the royal family (which he does right now).

copy/paste from the nation:

Sondhi claims Kowit lied over royal ceremony at Government House

Sondhi Limthongkul, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, claimed Thursday that Interior Minister Kowit Watana lied about the royal ceremony to be chaired by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn at Government House.

But Sondhi told the crowd at the rally site inside Government House that he had checked with the Royal Household Bureau and learnt that the Crown Prince had no plan to chair any ceremony at Government House on Saturday.

The Nation

This was a thinking by Sondhi, not hard facts.

I agree with h90.

We should not just concentrate on what Sondhi is saying or thinking as this is not representative.

You should focus on his actions, I mean it is not like he is illegally occupying state buildings and calling for the overthrow of a popularly elected government.

If he were doing that then maybe his anti-democratic speeches would have some substance.

copy/past from toc webpage

PAD: Victory to Be Achieved with Govt House Seizure until Sunday

The People's Alliance for Democracy core leaders state that if their rally at Government House continues until Sunday, the PAD will certainly announce its victory.

People's Alliance for Democracy core leaders, retired Major General Chamlong Srimuang and Somsak Kosaisook insist that if the PAD protest at Government House continues until Sunday, the group will be able to announce victory.

Chamlong and Somsak guarantee that there will be no violence generated from the gathering of the PAD at Government House. They say the PAD core leaders will not use the people who join the gathering as shields if the police break through their barriers to arrest the core leaders.

The PAD core leaders say they believe the PAD rally to oust the government will be joined by increasingly more people and by PAD affiliates from other provinces.

Yesterday, arrest warrants were issued for the five PAD core leaders, the PAD coordinator, and three other PAD members. The Civil Court has also granted an injunction, filed by the Prime Minister's Office, for the PAD protestors to remove themselves from Government House.

The PAD's lawyers have petitioned to the Appeals Court to consider halting the injunction. The PAD core leaders say since the court order is final, they will respect the injunction but ask for additional time to launch the appeals process. The leaders state that so far, no one has negotiated with the group as claimed earlier by the police.

The PAD core leaders insist that there will be no threat against the press, recording news and events at Government House. They say the PAD is not attempting to stop police work at Government House by deterring food and provisions from being sent to the police officers in there.

Meanwhile, another PAD core-leader, Sondhi Limthongkul states that he is ready for the arrest and denies that he will use rally members as a shield. Sondhi says he believes that if the PAD rally at Government House continues until Sunday, the group will gain victory.

end paste

What I do not understand....If they stay there till Sunday....Samak does not make anything, just waits.....

What will be on Sunday different than today??

Samak can make his meetings in the Dusit Thani Hotel and just don't care....

This was a thinking by Sondhi, not hard facts.

I agree with h90.

We should not just concentrate on what Sondhi is saying or thinking as this is not representative.

You should focus on his actions, I mean it is not like he is illegally occupying state buildings and calling for the overthrow of a popularly elected government.

If he were doing that then maybe his anti-democratic speeches would have some substance.

expensively bought into power...is what you mean, or?

so you mean they should have a chance to get their pockets full before they leave?

Really??

Bloomberg

BKK POst

Never brought up so far here is Sondhi's most interesting idea from the BK Post.

In part, the answer for the PAD lies in who controls the military. An important feature of Mr Sondhi's speech that went unreported in the press was the proposal to take the Ministry of Defence out of government control and place it under the Crown. At a time when Thailand is urgently facing the need to institutionalise its politics around public rules, the PAD is proposing to formally enhance the power of the monarchy.

It has some startling significances now, and longer term.

Postulating ideas is not the same as actually putting them into action.

Academics say many things, thoughts can make us see many possibilities.

If one pushes against a bull one must often move as if intending to move farther

than we actully intend to go. When pushing against someone who will inevitable

try and push back, sometimes it's best to push farther than we intend,

so that when it gets pushed back on it rests ABOUT where we hoped for.

PAD got rid of Thaksin and Sondhi didn't run for office,

He didn't do more than move to the sidelines,

until it became apparent what Thaksin's minions were up to for the 2nd round.

So he started pushing against seeing that the original move was being erased.

So the rhetoric of new government has escalated, as it logically would.

But where they want to end up, and how to get there as things are

'On The Ground', are two different animals. both in a state of flux

jockying for advantage with many unknowns in

a 80 years post feudal society that we can barely grasp.

PAD is pushing back hard because Thaksin's machine pushed back.

BOTH sides are playing hardball now.

..New elections without vote buying would be the solution.....but how to get that??

easy enough! don't go after 53 million potential vote sellers. go after the about 500 big vote buyers. there are undercoveragents, mics, cams, witnesses. vote buying secretly is useless, since the voters don't know, who to vote for and where to get how much money. that cannot be more difficult than to find someone not wearing a helmet. it's done in the open public. my suggestion: everyone caught offering or demanding money for selling or buying votes loose his job immediatelly and is fined 100 times the money involved. just set a few warning examples and present them everyday on television. the swamp will dry out quickly. no big funds and not much police are required, just the political will! samak go home! we need decent politicians, no billionaire gangster puppets.........

So, how many ultimatums by Samak and his corrupt police force so far? :o

Mostly the police and a smaller portion of the army differ on the issue.

There's no way out of this mess for Samak by using any of both forces.

Brains they simply don't have unless a new scam requires so for personal profit.

Edited by Tony Clifton

PPP MP deplores senators for siding with PAD

Certain senators might have committed contempt to the judiciary by showing moral support to the People's Alliance for Democracy inspite of its defiance for arrest warrants and eviction order, People Power Party MP Wisut Chainarun on Thursday.

Wisut was reacting to the news that 10 senators paid a visit to the PAD's rally inside Government House and that some 30 senators cast doubts on treason charges filed agianst the nine PAD leaders.

"These senators have been the advocates for the judicial review but are acting curiously when the PAD is being targetted for the judicial proceedings," he said.

The Nation

Doesn't these PPP MP too side with Thaksin when he flee to London and say the judiciary was unfair to him.

Oh, h90, do wake up. You actually posted on the "new politics and the PAD challenge" thread....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/new-Politics...ge-t199105.html

let me quote from the opening headline.....

“A challenging proposal by the leaders of the PAD is the 70:30 model, where 70 percent of political officeholders will be appointed while 30 percent will be elected.”

Source: Manager Online, 25 June 2008

Now make up your mind, either I'm making it all up or you are just in denial of the truth!

Yes, its true. If they stay till sunday, - 100 hours - the PAD have won, and they get to nominate the next prime minister.

Its in the Constitution.

...its somewhere towards the back .....in the small print.

Thats a fact, and I deal in hard facts.

It's the line written in blotched biro and bad handwriting. :o

They also receive a free Hello Kitty pencil, a compilation of the 50 worst Karaoke songs and a model of my hoooooooing friend (with real sound effects - you just have to turn him upside down and upright again.... hoooooooooo)

Yes, its true. If they stay till sunday, - 100 hours - the PAD have won, and they get to nominate the next prime minister.

Its in the Constitution.

:o:D :D

I guess so.....I have no better explanation why they would have won on Sunday and not Saturday or Monday....

It must be somewhere on the last page of the constitution....

Oh, h90, do wake up. You actually posted on the "new politics and the PAD challenge" thread....

“A challenging proposal by the leaders of the PAD is the 70:30 model, where 70 percent of political officeholders will be appointed while 30 percent will be elected.”

Now make up your mind, either I'm making it all up or you are just in denial of the truth!

My english is not very good, but I think the word "proposal" means that it is just a proposal.....

Its in the Constitution.

Thats a fact, and I deal in hard facts.

It's the line written in blotched biro and bad handwriting. :o

They also receive a free Hello Kitty pencil, a compilation of the 50 worst Karaoke songs and a model of my hoooooooing friend (with real sound effects - you just have to turn him upside down and upright again.... hoooooooooo)

That guy (forgot his name) with the black teeth and the pipe, wrote it in the last minute on the last page, but only in Sondhis copy.

I got told Samak is also producing a CD....maybe they could make a Karaoke competition, who wins become Premier

wow 56 pages of comments!

Thailand's current debacle is glowing proof of the problems that stem from buying votes and endemic corruption. Among other things, PAD supporters appear to be saying they have no faith in the ways things get done in Thailand, and not much faith that anyone (or any group) of politicians have the basic skills needed to govern decently - as PAD haven't put forward a candidate or cabinet to replace the current bunch of crooks and bumblers in the power seats.

Best would be a firm declaration from big shots on both sides of the fence - to do all the can to ensure fair elections - and then go forward on that. Nothing is going to clean up Thai politics anytime soon, but there may be some incremental emprovements over the years - if positive and decent attitudes are given vent.

Do you think that the PAD legions and those funding them would be content to accept the outcome of even the most pristine election that genuinely reflected the aspirations of the majority- which just happens to be poor?

Treason charges too harsh for PAD leaders: senators

By The Nation

A group of 30 senators on Thursday questioned whether police were too harsh in charging the nine leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy for treason.

"Protesters do not have sufficient arms and strength to change the administrative regime and overthorw democracy," senator Tuang Anthachai said.

Tuang said his fellow senators were worrying about the confrontation between the government and the PAD which might degenerate into violence.

The senators were also doubting whether the Tuesday's raid at NBT station was a frame-up, he said.

This sentence doesn,t sound right to me, could be misquoted a little and is meant to reflect that the raid was a set up.

marshbags ????

Senator Rosana Tositrakul said 80 per cent of protesters inside Government House were women and children who participated in the rally at their free will.

Rosana called on authorities to avoid using force against peaceful protesters.

She said from her own experience as a former activist, police often exaggerated the charges filed against protesters. She said she once successful sought the judicial intervention to order police to reduce the charges.

Senator Somchai Sawaengkan said although he condemned the NBT station raid as a gross violation of media freedom, he had doubts about the incident.

Many news clips about the raid looked like the event had been staged to expose the protesters and not the police, he said. The authorities failed to release the complete footage on what the police were doing during the raid, he added.

Unquote

Par for the course regarding the underhanded tactics the PPP / TRT surrogates and their on the run sponsor employ to discredit the peaceful objectives of the PAD and further polarise Thai society, nationally.

I also believe as in all previous protest that rogue ellements are mixing among the supporters of the PAD up and down the country.

By the way i live in a We LoveThaksin ( well we love his hand outs anyway. ) area of the North East and suprisingly i have yet to find a non supporter of the opposition and objectives to oust the surrogate CEO Samak and his party / ties .

Most places, shops ect. in the town i have visited in the last few days are glued to their T.v. sets and tuned into the ASTV stations. ????

I,m more than a little curious about this unusual interest when i think about what happened in the park re certain thugs hel_l bent on causing mayhem and injury to innocent demonstrators.

Far from PAD loosing support, if this is anything to go by, it is increasing big time.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

My english is not very good, but I think the word "proposal" means that it is just a proposal.....

OF course it was just a proposal- they were hardly in a position to enshrine it in law. But to make such a proposal is indicative of a contempt for democracy. And comes as no surprise to some of us who have been following their antics over the last few years.