PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the opinion that the initial PAD protests on Tuesday were "poisoned" somehow. Nothing we've seen from the PAD before and nothing we've seen from the PAD over the past two days (not including Tuesday obviously) seems to match the behavior of people that morning.

I just wish the leaders would make an official statement on their opinions of events. Maybe now is not the time...

I had that thought almost instantly. It was just all out of character,

the time line was off, but it fit the character of the opposition very well.

That observation never grew less, only more.

I think they wanted to set a precident for hard action against PAD,

'They were violent, so now we can be.' But someone of great wisdom

stepped in and fore bade that course before it was set in motion.

I think any comments PAD leaders made about it were delivered early on

in ignorance of what went down. Bad inteligence, and when it became obvious,

they stopped asking for the release of any of the 85...

Many bought this sham hook line and sinker.

PS... Radio Mike one problem with that.

PAD was still at Makkewan Bridge talking up a storm about going at 5:45am

and the false PAD was at the station tearing it up, while masked at 5 AM...

And not one weapon was used against police as they were taken away,

drugged out as they allegedly were...

Real PAD never showed up till 6:30 with 2,000 in tow.

And the normal everyday perpwalk and public shaming of the 85 has not happened.

No faces shown just a bunch of weapons and blather. Still no faces shown.

But an attempt to implicate one organizer who was at Makkewan Bridge at the time,

and make people think he was there too. Purest B.S. right from the lawn buffaloe.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the opinion that the initial PAD protests on Tuesday were "poisoned" somehow. Nothing we've seen from the PAD before and nothing we've seen from the PAD over the past two days (not including Tuesday obviously) seems to match the behavior of people that morning.

I just wish the leaders would make an official statement on their opinions of events. Maybe now is not the time...

If one would have observed the PAD with open eyes the ugly events of Tuesday morning were just in line with their continuing radicalization.

One month ago the PAD guards - the "Srivichai Warriors" - started open displays of weapons such as batons, golf clubs, slingshots, and also carried camouflaged swords and hidden knifes.

Also during the last two days there were several incidents that were completely out of order. Such as yesterday night there were 9 women locked together with the police contingent in government house. These women were simple sellers of food in government house. They have begged the PAD at the barricades to let them go home. The PAD guards refused to let them out, even though several ordinary protesters were willing to let them out. They could finally leave the enclosure sometime this afternoon.

Several journalists were intimidated. Journalists are constantly photographed by PAD members.

Paranoia is constantly pushed up by the leadership. Ideology is given, debate not allowed.

More than a few ordinary protesters also appear to have second thoughts, as some of the methods now employed by the PAD were not what they have stood for, especially the overbearing guards.

Outside the protests, normal Thais who do not care much about politics either way, are increasingly opposed to PAD tactics.

First on Pallop.

He's a tough soldier who doesn't mess about. He ordered Krue Sue massacre and he probably doesn't feel sorry for it because he believes in his cause. What makes him different from the likes of Thaksin and Samak is that he won't lie and twist the truth and smile without any shame - "people died because of Ramadan", "there was only one victim in 1976" and so on.

Lying and covering your tracks is far worse in my book. Pallop, on the other hand, would probably take it like a real soldier if anyone comes to arrest him for Krue Sue.

I suspect Samak would be ashamed to look him in the eye.

Curiously, wikipedia talks about his involvement in Thaksin bombing incident. If you dig up relevant TV threads you'd see that hardly anyone believed in this story and Pallop was probably framed. He was unceremoniously fired only two hours after the car was discovered, btw, before any investigation even commenced.

But it's on wiki now, so it must be true.

Yeah, for those who weren't there when it happened.

Second, the "new politics".

It was a proposal and it was quickly dismissed as too wacky, I don't think even Sondhi has any interest in it left. The only people who still talk about it is anti-Pad brigade.

BUT, if you look at the big picture, the idea of electing/selecting/appointing half the parlament, and especially the government, from professionals in various fields is not too bad considering the alternative - the same old corrupt policians that have lost public trust long long time ago. Even Prawit, Nation's staunch anti-coup/anit-Pad journalist, admits that these crooks has a monopoly on the electoral system. They won't go away and courts can't deal with a staggering amount of transgressions - these guys don't even intend to follow laws. Do you remember that even the last year's elections still haven't been settled yet? It just doesn't work.

"New politics" would prevent them from running and there will be a new class of politicians to replace them.

The electoral battle grounds would be somewhere else - among professional assosiations, in the media, among various social groups with a direct stake in the governing. The old feudal lords with their vote buying networkds will be left out.

After all, the whole vote buying works only because people don't care what the MPs do in parlament with their 200 baht mandates, they just look at the local results - "that's our pooyais who take good care of us, that's all we need from them". That won't work among rubber tree growers who'd have to select their representative to protect their interests. They'd have a direct stake in the process.

Some people here are crying for the death of democracy, the majority will lose their voice - yeah, right, how many farmers are in parlament right now? How many small traders? Mom&Pop shops? Taxi drivers? Noodle vendors? Teachers?

NONE.

The first half of this year saw almost daily demonstrations - rice growers, bus and boat operators, taxi dirvers - they all take to the streets. Why? Because there's nowhere else to go. They don't have their representation in the government. So, what have they got to lose? Nothing.

Anyway, that's how I saw this "new politics" proposal - to give people better representation. Some see it as military appointed government. Well, no one has ever considered the selection/election process yet, only the end result. Why don't the critics look at the end result first and worry about potential for abuse later? With the current subversion of electoral system the abuse can't get any worse anyway.

Third, on Animatics posting format.

On my wide screen monitor his short lines are a lot easier to read - they fit into one "eyespan". Normal width posts are too long and need shifting eyes at least three times to read the whole line.

The longer this goes on the more people will become tired of PADs anti-social antics.

Its quite obvious PAD has thrown caution to the wind in this final surge to create chaos in the hope the military would be forced to intervene. Well that didn't happen and now seems more unlikely to happen as the drama drags on.

What we have now is a stalemate waiting game to see who quits first. An anti-climax. The King has told Samak to go softly and gently to avoid violence so it seems certain there will be no major confrontation. Just a game of attrition.

While both the government and PAD have lost face (ironically by PADs aggression and violence and the governments lack of violent response) in the eyes of almost all observers, including those internationally, it seems certain that the elected government of Samak will still be there when the PAD mob eventually decides to pack up and go home.

Although that appears to be the perception among many posting here, support for the protests is currently growing, not shrinking, judging from the numbers flowing into BKK from other provinces. Several Thai friends of mine just arrived from Chiang Mai today specifically to take part. They spent their own money to come. I was surprised as this particular bunch previously showed little interest in the PAD cause. Now they all want to be part of kuu chaat. Call it bangwagon-jumping if you will, but Sondhi's movement is gaining strength at the moment and their strategies are clear and difficult to foil. What we're seeing now is a relatively new trend in Thai politics, a professional gadfly corps.

yep. Some drunk cops may have joined the rally too right? All the way down from Pai. Any idea of the numbers of those folks making their way down? Or is it just "numbers"?

Well, the latest news in on a new thread - Trains to Stop Nationwide - some stopped tonight and others stop tomorrow. The workers put in for sick leave.

Curiously, wikipedia talks about his involvement in Thaksin bombing incident. If you dig up relevant TV threads you'd see that hardly anyone believed in this story and Pallop was probably framed. He was unceremoniously fired only two hours after the car was discovered, btw, before any investigation even commenced.

Wiki is a good resource - but it is not necessarily fact as it has an open format. Nevertheless, a lot of people may have believed he was framed because he was against Thaksin - and naturally most people didn't support Thaksin by then.

However - you cannot just explain away the fact that it was his own driver behind the wheel, with 67kg of explosives for which he (the driver) could not provide a good reason for (construction son deen). People don't just drive around the city with a bunch of explosives without reason. If they had wanted to frame the driver, a few sticks would've been plenty enough - it is kind of hard to hide 67Kg of stuff without the driver knowing, after all.

You can believe or disbelieve this story, since it isn't conclusive - but Pallop himself says that he is not as patient as Chamlong, and he obviously wasn't patient when he ordered the invasion of Krua Se. Forget the explosives - they aren't necessary to lend additional credence to the fact that Pallop is not exactly Mr. Nice Guy.

Even Prawit, Nation's staunch anti-coup/anit-Pad journalist, admits that these crooks has a monopoly on the electoral system. They won't go away and courts can't deal with a staggering amount of transgressions - these guys don't even intend to follow laws. Do you remember that even the last year's elections still haven't been settled yet? It just doesn't work.

Pravit has long been known as the devil's advocate - he is willing to stand up against anything he does not agree with, and his views quite often reflect the community at large. You can't call him pro-government, that's for sure - but he believes that the PAD has gone too far as well. Frankly, I think that quite a few of us fall right in between - nothing unusual about Pravit's stance at all. He sure as heck wasn't pro-Thaksin either.

First on Pallop.

He's a tough soldier who doesn't mess about. He ordered Krue Sue massacre and he probably doesn't feel sorry for it because he believes in his cause. What makes him different from the likes of Thaksin and Samak is that he won't lie and twist the truth and smile without any shame - "people died because of Ramadan", "there was only one victim in 1976" and so on.

Lying and covering your tracks is far worse in my book. Pallop, on the other hand, would probably take it like a real soldier if anyone comes to arrest him for Krue Sue.

I suspect Samak would be ashamed to look him in the eye.

Yeah, for those who weren't there when it happened.

It was a proposal and it was quickly dismissed as too wacky, I don't think even Sondhi has any interest in it left. The only people who still talk about it is anti-Pad brigade.

BUT, if you look at the big picture, the idea of electing/selecting/appointing half the parlament, and especially the government, from professionals in various fields is not too bad considering the alternative - the same old corrupt policians that have lost public trust long long time ago. Even Prawit, Nation's staunch anti-coup/anit-Pad journalist, admits that these crooks has a monopoly on the electoral system. They won't go away and courts can't deal with a staggering amount of transgressions - these guys don't even intend to follow laws. Do you remember that even the last year's elections still haven't been settled yet? It just doesn't work.

"New politics" would prevent them from running and there will be a new class of politicians to replace them.

The electoral battle grounds would be somewhere else - among professional assosiations, in the media, among various social groups with a direct stake in the governing. The old feudal lords with their vote buying networkds will be left out.

After all, the whole vote buying works only because people don't care what the MPs do in parlament with their 200 baht mandates, they just look at the local results - "that's our pooyais who take good care of us, that's all we need from them". That won't work among rubber tree growers who'd have to select their representative to protect their interests. They'd have a direct stake in the process.

Some people here are crying for the death of democracy, the majority will lose their voice - yeah, right, how many farmers are in parlament right now? How many small traders? Mom&Pop shops? Taxi drivers? Noodle vendors? Teachers?

NONE.

The first half of this year saw almost daily demonstrations - rice growers, bus and boat operators, taxi dirvers - they all take to the streets. Why? Because there's nowhere else to go. They don't have their representation in the government. So, what have they got to lose? Nothing.

Anyway, that's how I saw this "new politics" proposal - to give people better representation. Some see it as military appointed government. Well, no one has ever considered the selection/election process yet, only the end result. Why don't the critics look at the end result first and worry about potential for abuse later? With the current subversion of electoral system the abuse can't get any worse anyway.

Third, on Animatics posting format.

On my wide screen monitor his short lines are a lot easier to read - they fit into one "eyespan". Normal width posts are too long and need shifting eyes at least three times to read the whole line.

That is really great news. But, if the anti-PAD people are relying on it so heavily, would it not benefit PAD to issue a press release stating that it is no longer under consideration. I am sure that would go a long way towards finding a peaceful resolution.

First on Pallop.

That is really great news. But, if the anti-PAD people are relying on it so heavily, would it not benefit PAD to issue a press release stating that it is no longer under consideration. I am sure that would go a long way towards finding a peaceful resolution.

Other than this is pure misinformation, because the idiocy of "new politics" is still constantly propagated from the PAD stage. Just go there and listen to it yourself.

Also the Preah Vihear issue and its ultra-nationalist PAD idea on it as well.

Also the most rabidly nationalist songs are sung there on the stage as well.

Be under no illusion - PAD is consistently getting more radical, their megalomaniac delusions of power are beyond the bearable.

you cannot just explain away the fact that it was his own driver behind the wheel,

I cannot explain that - it wasn't his driver at all, just a guy working for ISOC. But if wiki says so, it must be true, right?

That 'car-bomb' hoax has been exposed long time ago. Why revisit it now? Any "new" news? It stopped when the police had taken away their investigation files on the night of the coup and hasn't returned despite the new, anti-junta government.

I only mentioned it because people posted that misleading and incorrect information from wiki in relation to Pallop. He is a bad motherfuc_ker as it is, no need to add nonsense to his image.

The song from the young Thai woman about an hour ago hit home....how can you hold your head up...how can you sleep at night.....

Here is a bunch of people trying to make Thailand a better place. Don't leave them to fight on their own....go and join them...

Power to the people...and in this case, the people have exercised their democratic right to demonstrate peacefully. This peaceful movement can be a future example for any people who are fighting for justice around the world.

There is power in the masses, there is power in the Unions. When people stand together, change happens!

The song from the young Thai woman about an hour ago hit home....how can you hold your head up...how can you sleep at night.....

Here is a bunch of people trying to make Thailand a better place. Don't leave them to fight on their own....go and join them...

Power to the people...and in this case, the people have exercised their democratic right to demonstrate peacefully. This peaceful movement can be a future example for any people who are fighting for justice around the world.

There is power in the masses, there is power in the Unions. When people stand together, change happens!

A year from now when it is university students demanding free and democratic elections and knowing that a corrupt vote buying government will be elected, will you have the same opinion?

Try that at the White House premises

..or maybe Downing Street 10 ?

Neither are the seat of Government. Sorry to be so pedantic.

that's a lesser prob. the greater is: try any civil disobedience in the free west today and riot police will club you down as the english did with ghandi 1897 in africa and 1918-42 in india. these times are hardly changing.........my last known example was the 33rd g8 meeting in germany 2007. check out this link (includes pad!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience

I cannot explain that - it wasn't his driver at all, just a guy working for ISOC. But if wiki says so, it must be true, right?

Like I said, Wiki is an open project - thus you cannot really treat it as authoritative. But either way, car-bomb or not... Pallop is a tough guy.

That 'car-bomb' hoax has been exposed long time ago. Why revisit it now? Any "new" news? It stopped when the police had taken away their investigation files on the night of the coup and hasn't returned despite the new, anti-junta government.

I only mentioned it because people posted that misleading and incorrect information from wiki in relation to Pallop. He is a bad motherfuc_ker as it is, no need to add nonsense to his image.

Um - well, just as you may not believe it's correct, you can't call it incorrect without proof otherwise, right? I don't for one minute put it past the Thaksin government to have framed him - but at the same time I wouldn't for one minute put it past Pallop to have thought up a stunt like that either.

Edited by onethailand

kurt! you are so optimistic! you've made thai visa a better place already. thanx

Power to the people...and in this case, the people have exercised their democratic right to demonstrate peacefully.

How can that fable of a "peaceful protest" still be propagated here?

Haven't you seen the footage of the storming of NBT? Knifes, a gun, batons?

How can it be called a "peaceful protest, when PAD guards armed with batons and whatever else command the doors of government house, and all entries to the rally site on public roads?

How can it be called a "peaceful" rally, when government installations have been damaged, when constant calls for a military coup are voiced from the stage, when their leaders resist court ordered arrest warrants?

How can this be called a peaceful rally, when one of their main rallying points is the takeover of Preah Vihear, and even the main temple, which is not even disputed by the Thai state to be on Cambodian territory. And on which issue the main protest leader Sondhi Limthongkul has publically announced that he would go so far as to start a war over Cambodia over this issue?

And as to the topic od songs - i would advise to carefully listen to the text of many of their songs: rabid ultra-nationalism.

It is a protest - though neither peaceful, nor democratic.

Edited by fuzedcon

These people are only allowed to sit there because powerful people want them to sit there

Imagine if a group of 35000 from the southern provinces decided to seize the government house - it would have been a blood bath

there is no democracy in thailand and definietly no freedom of speech or expression

it looks to me like nothing is going to change around here anytime soon

but who cares its not like governments elsewhere are all that less corrupt or silly

they just dont even attempt to hide their "sillyness" here - example - did you see samak rambling on and on during the foreign press interviews? can you imagine george bush giving a speech like that? of course not - firstly he never actually answers any questions directly and every word out of his mouth was written and prepared by someone else - things here are much less organized and much more out in the open

Edited by lifeisrandom

Um - well, just as you may not believe it's correct, you can't call it incorrect without proof otherwise, right? I don't for one minute put it past the Thaksin government to have framed him - but at the same time I wouldn't for one minute put it past Pallop to have thought up a stunt like that either.

don't put anything past those rogues for even a second! they constantly frame each other and everybody. let's get rid of them once and forever. legalize honesty!

Um - well, just as you may not believe it's correct, you can't call it incorrect without proof otherwise, right?

I see absolutely no reason to reconsider the opinion I formed back in 2006. There was plenty of proof then, it should hold just fine now. Simply stating an opposing view doesn't make it legitimate. Anyone can think up millions of different opinions and claim leigitimacy these days. Waste of time.

These people are only allowed to sit there because powerful people want them to sit there

Very true.

One of those powerful people is Gen. Saprang - an extremist in the military, who has not got the highly desired Army Chief position one year before his retirement, and who wants to keep power beyond retirement.

There are several Democrat MPs who see this as a way to gain more local power by financing transport to the site in their constituencies, and hope to create enough chaos so that they have a chance to form a new government that way, get posts, and be part of the usual gravy train they have been cut off since 2001.

And there are others who benefit from this purposeful destabilisation of the country, no matter the economical desaster that is looming.

Edited by fuzedcon

What makes you think, the new class of policticians would be any better ?

NONE.

Yes, in this case Thailand isn't any different from say The Netherlands, last time I looked there weren't any taxi drivers, farmers in our parlement either. They are represented by professional politicians, who are affiliated with a certain party. I see nothing wrong with that.

A proposal to have this 70/30 split is the death of democracy, it's not very difficult to grasp that I would think.

I'm sure the PAD is not so much against vote buying (which I agree isn't an ideal situation). They are against the influence that some people might have when having normal elections, as they have witnessed with Thaksin in his two landslide victories. Which by the way, were one of the cleanest elections ever in Thailand. People who explain his popularity on vote buying alone, are wrong.

Um - well, just as you may not believe it's correct, you can't call it incorrect without proof otherwise, right?

I see absolutely no reason to reconsider the opinion I formed back in 2006. There was plenty of proof then, it should hold just fine now. Simply stating an opposing view doesn't make it legitimate. Anyone can think up millions of different opinions and claim leigitimacy these days. Waste of time.

Slow down... LOL... no one asked you to reconsider your opinion. You did, however, say it was misleading and incorrect, as if there are facts to show otherwise (which I don't recall having seen before).

I also didn't state an opinion - I pointed out what was posted on Wiki, without prejudice.

Power to the people...and in this case, the people have exercised their democratic right to demonstrate peacefully.
How can that fable of a "peaceful protest" still be propagated here?

It is a protest - though neither peaceful, nor democratic.

fuzedcon = conservative "device of combustible matter for igniting a bomb or explosive charge" knows nothing about peace and democracy and pretends to know nothing about disinformation, propaganda and undercover actions. he tries to make us believe, that he believes everything he sees on a biased television channel. there are no conspiracies, no disguises, no set-ups.....if these people on television would have worn green berets, he would have sworn that is was john wayne.............how easy it is to fool a fool (tax-sin knows!)

Pretty words but quite far from the truth.

People with clubs and canes are not demonstrating peacefully. Screening yourself from arrest by using your own children? Those are human shields by any other name. They are one group of selfish people trying to take by force what they lost in the ballot box. They only seek power and money for their own group.

Peaceful demonstrators do not block bridges and government buildings for days and weeks, disrupting the lives of tens of thousands of citizens and employ paid thugs to protect themselves. They know the government is too fragile to evict the trespassers without the army intervening, so their own thuggery goes unpunished.

They have no plan, no agenda other than to bring down the present government, just as they did the last.

In any 1st world nation they would have been arrested long ago, using measured force to meet those who resist being arrested.

I used to have sympathy for the causes put forth by PAD but no longer.

They have evolved to be just another group grasping for power and to line their own pockets by any means possible.

~WISteve

It's a broken record,

over and over the same short catch phrases of fear.

Few reasoned arguments or alternative possibilities

It's all black and white for some.

Even if the world is profoundly gray.

The use of fear to divide a people, and gain power,

Machiavelli, Lenin too, and certain more recent purveyors also.

If you can't pull ALL the people together

use one group as the boggie man and scare

enough of them together so you have some power.

Effective if you have the stomak for it.

Edited by animatic

....Thaksin in his two landslide victories. Which by the way, were one of the cleanest elections ever in Thailand. People who explain his popularity on vote buying alone, are wrong.

sure they are wrong. tax-sin is not a billionaire by accident. he is cunning....he not only bought voters, he also buys parties, politicians, judges (obviously he didn't pay enough, meager 2 millions, what an insult!), businesses, generals (also poor judgement, the wrong ones!). he simply tried to turn thailand into his 100% owned enterprise (see his 100% tax-evasion!). he was too greedy and too thrifty at the same time (a clear sign of megalomania!). let us forget about him and his 'clean' politics and let us look forward into a better future for all the thai people (other than tax-sin and his cronies alone)......

Oh yes support is wanning fast:

Trains to stop nationwide as SRT unionists join protest

BANGKOK: -- Train services are expected to come to a halt tomorrow morning as part of the protests against the government by employees of the State Railway Authority.

A 45-year-old SRT worker in Nakhon Si Thammarat said the unionists have coordinated with SRT workers nationwide to carry out the civil disobedience against the government.

He said officials in charge of train services, such as drivers and engineers have submitted their leaves since Thursday.

He said trains that leave main stations will stop at the first sub-station, and thus will block all the routes and paralyze the services nationwide.

-- The Nation 2008-08-28

Partial train service stoppage begins

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) announced that it will stop providing northern and northeastern rail services, starting 12am Friday. It claimed that its employees are not ready to work, causing disruption among commuters.

The chairman of the SRT’s labour union in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Sathorn Sinpru, said almost 100 engine drivers, usherettes and repairmen have taken a sick leave for at least two days, reasoning that they are not happy with their work. He said if they are still not ready to work after two days, the suspension could prolong as their performance could cause dangers.

According to reports, members of the SRT’s labour union took part in the mass rally led by the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) at the Government House. The reason behind the SRT’s halt of operation could be the government’s provision of free transport for the protesters who wish to return home.

So far, five trains routing from Bangkok to Northeastern provinces have already suspended the operations since Thursday evening, deputy governor of the SRT Thawin Sarmnakorn said in a television interview on Thursday night.

Mr Thawin said he has ordered substitutes to replace the staff who have taken leave, but the number of the substitutes is inadequate for all the services to fully operate.

He added that he plans to hold talk with SRT staff on Friday to prevent the suspension of train services in other regions.

The discontinuation of rail services will likely affect more than a thousand people in Ayutthaya who come to work in Bangkok every morning.

Latest reports say train services from Taphan Hin in Pichit will be halted starting 5am Friday.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-08-28

Oh so many upper midldle class people, running the trains,

wanting to help the hi so elite regain power. :o

As I was saying about paranoia earlier today...

Run-in with the press

By Sathien Viriyapanpongsa

The Nation

Published on August 29, 2008

People's Alliance for Democracy guards had a run-in yesterday with three reporters whom they feared were opponents of the protesters.

Poowadon Songprasert, a social science lecturer at Kasetsart University and a prominent PAD member, shouted rudely and grasped Sasinapa Wattana-wannarat, a female reporter from Matichon, round the body as he tried to shoo the reporters away.

PAD guards and protesters were preparing a barrier to try to prevent a police raid. On seeing the reporters, the guards shouted: "They [opponents] come in disguise."

More guards surrounded the three and told them to leave the second floor of the Banchakarn Building. When the reporters showed media identification cards, the guards said they did not care, as they could be fake IDs and the people could be opponents in disguise.

The guards became threatening, saying they should leave or they would attack with slingshots. Protesters then surrounded the reporters to force them to move.

Sasinapa and her two colleagues then went to the press room, where about 50 reporters were based.

Later, PAD leaders sought to make amends. Sondhi Limthongkul escorted Sasinapa to her car. Co-leader Pibhop Dhongchai told journalists the PAD would tell its guards to understand and protect reporters.

Meanwhile, PAD protesters gathered near the press room to see what happened and news reporters were unable to get out of the room for a while.

Earlier in the day, National Broadcasting Television (NBT) told viewers its reporters would not identify the site in Government House from which they were reporting because of fears the protesters would harm them.

... and more about Panlop's pact with Chamlong...

Panlop to step in if Chamlong arrested

By The Nation

Published on August 29, 2008

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Chamlong Srimuang said yesterday his old military ally Panlop Pinmanee would take over his role if he was arrested for alleged treason.

"Panlop told me he was ready to be my replacement if police arrest me and other PAD leaders," Chamlong said at the rally inside the Government House compound.

Panlop and Chamlong are graduates from Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy Class 7. The two have been friends since entering politics in the 1970s.

Police have court-approved warrants to arrest nine PAD leaders, including Chamlong, since Wednesday.

Panlop said he and Chamlong had been buddies since their days in the military.

"Chamlong and I have a secret agreement to carry on one another's legacy," Panlop said.

He said he had made two long-standing promises with Chamlong - one was to be his replacement if something happened to him during the "Black May" drama in 1992. The second was to carry on any unfinished business if Chamlong was arrested.

Panlop said he would participate in the PAD-led protests should Chamlong be taken into police custody.

But he said he considered himself an aggressive strategist unlike Chamlong, whose approach was moderate.

"If I become involved in the protests, I will need just three days to force the government to tender its resignation," he said.

It might be wise for Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to resign now rather than being forced out of office, he said.

Prince of Songkla University lecturer Wichai Kanchana-suwan voiced concern that Panlop might cause the situation to degenerate into violence. He said the arrival of Panlop might hasten the government to declare a state of emergency.

Known for his hardline position on politics and security issues, Panlop consistently emerged onto political scenes at critical moments, including controversial ones, such as the storming of the Krue Se mosque which killed more than 30 lightly armed Malay Muslim separatists.

The former deputy director of Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) came under another unwanted spotlight when one of his officers was linked to a failed assassination attempt on then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in August 2006.

Edited by onethailand