PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Interesting point h90

The 'coup installed junta government',

USUALLY buzzwords for corrup violent and extraordinarily repressive,

was basically orderly and pretty much like curmugeonly grandfathers.

The griped about morals of the children and made vague attemps

to regulate societal mores, to little effect. They were actually if anything

to light handed considering how the election turned out.

They did get a consitution that is strick enough to need PPP

making a serious attempt at an end run.

They certainly DID try to repress the TRT / PPP propaganda machine,

with apparently little success. And it seems the country is paying the

price now for that lack of success.

No Anand's gov. wasn't perfect, but yes, the before and after must really be confusing

some of the Thais, and might go a long way to their being less bothered about

another army take over vs the corruption in their face.

Just some thughts on the matter.

Interesting thoughts, indeed. While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point h90

The griped about morals of the chiuldren and made vague attemps

No it wasn't perfect, but yes the before and after must really be confusing

Want to add: That even if a "coup installed junta government" is performing well for a short time, it is sure that it will degenerate after a year or so, as there no check and balance systems (but I can't see them now as well).

Government threatens to fire 'sick' railway strikers

BangkokPost.com) - The Ministry of Transport plans to replace many hundreds of absent employees of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), as their absence has greatly disrupted rail services across the country.

Many of the SRT staff, including conductors, engineers, technicians and train operators, have gone on strike to show their support for the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said the ministry will have to see how long the workers will go on strike. He said new employees would be hired to allow the rail operation to be restored soon.

The SRT is a state enterprise that continues to face profit loss, and its tax burdens fall on public members, Mr Songsak concluded.

Anyone know how to operate a train? Does having had a Christmas train set as a kid count?

In reality, how is SRT going to enforce its threats? Where is SRT going to find qualified engineers and personnel? Empty rhetoric doesn't contribute to the situation.

Edited by Publicus

'Resign, Mr Samak'. Mr Samak was not amused. "The people who caused airports to close are causing damage to the tourism industry," he said. "They are smashing our rice bowl."

here everybody can clearly see his only interest: his rice bowl! (and that of his puppetmaster, thus our!). if he would be only interested in the 'rice bowls' of his thai fellow-countrymen, he would step down and not cling to his & toxins 'rice bowls' already filled with billions of baht!

Still I see posters that seem to think this is about ending corruption in Thailand. I guess it's nice to believe in something. Surely the PAD and it's leadership don't want that.

They want to get their hands into the cooky jar again, that's all..

Who could imagine stopping corruption here in out lifetimes,

or anywhere for that matter. Curruption is part of the hman condition.

But lowering it to a more typical level vs world wide is not

a bad thing to shoot for.

Or are you say don't even try?

See the record of Chamlong when he was governor of Bangkok. There was a minimum of corruption.

I am not so happy if religion and politic get mixed. But that's my smallest concern.

(on the other side Samak and the Rosenberger firetrucks: Corruption estimate 50 % of the total (very reliable source, there is no more reliable source)

Interesting point h90

The griped about morals of the chiuldren and made vague attemps

No it wasn't perfect, but yes the before and after must really be confusing

Want to add: That even if a "coup installed junta government" is performing well for a short time, it is sure that it will degenerate after a year or so, as there no check and balance systems (but I can't see them now as well).

My point was less that they were performing well,

but were suprisingily benign in effect, especially in comparison to todays bunch.

Metropolitan police chief transferred

By The Nation

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Asawin Kwanmuang, who was in charge of handling the protests in Bangkok, is transferred to an inactive post on Sunday.

The order gave no reason.

The transfer came just a month before an order which promoted Asawin to a post of assistant police commissioner became effective in October.Asawin said he was not upset about the transfer.

Asawin was said to have close connection with Sondhi Limthongkul, a co-leader of People's Alliance for Democracy, and other anti-government activists. He has been known for not favouring severe measures against protesters.

However he said, "What I am worried much is about the protest as I do not want any violence to happen."

He said he did not know who will replace him. He said sarcasitically that the new boss will have better vision than him.

Someone know who is who? Friend of Thaksin, friend of Chamlong, friend of who?

Friend of who ?

In an other country this question wouldn't have any sense.

TIT !

Samak is close to Thaksin, Royals, the Army and also Chamlong. Funny, huh?

You are missing the point. 'The Pig' owes heavy duty to the coalition members of the current government. They all want part of the money pie that he promised, they all have vested interest in the mega projects that he has promised. So that is why he is still the PM. But what will happen when it becomes clear that they will not get there serving of pie, well they will drop him like jot cakes. How long it will take for them to realize this is not clear, but my guess is that it could take a while. Like Mr T deserting his loyal servants, ie Mrs Ts secretary and Mr Ts lawyers. The 'P' will desert his post too

The ever-changing, but always-weird looks of Samak continues... :D

In times of national turmoil, it's always reassuring to turn to the Leader and be faced with a tie-less, dissheveled old man who looks like he's coming off a 3 day bender....

1220159173.jpg

Thai PM reiterates: Won't dissolve House, nor resign; Parliament will meet

On a positive note, it seems he's at least sobered up from his national television address and also managed to find a tie and a clean suit before opening a joint session of Parliament. :o

but of course, he still maintains his "always-weird look" status...

r1216414136.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej speaks in parliament in Bangkok August 31, 2008. More than 1,000 government supporters marched on Thailand's parliament on Sunday as lawmakers began a special debate on street protests threatening to topple Samak.

REUTERS

=====

Quite interesting the number of DAAD-red ties were out in Parliament today...

Edited by sriracha john

I see someone making an attempt to tie PAD, the Democrats and Muslin terrorism together in one handful.

Because of some tenuous connection to 'The South'. Right nice try.

How stupid to you REALLY think we are to buy that one?

Well guess what the south has 2 coasts and MANY different cultures.

Many also have lived in Bangkok for a time. Many places in the south

have people from ALL over Thailand, living and working,

and MOST of them dislike Samak.

Many watched Thaksin cut of development funds because they didn't vote for him

just as he said he would.

Do you think ANY want a continuation of that legacy.

I have asked people from 7-8 different areas of Thailand;

What do you think of the new government you have now?

Most give me a look like :

please why do you give me bad taste in mouth,

I was happy before you asked. And then explain at one

level of language or another why it is not good, as they see it.

Ubon, Udonthani, Narkon, Roi Et, Chaingmai, Kohn Kaen, Ayuthaia, Sukothai and others.

Same story.

Edited by animatic

Warning over Thailand unrest. ....Britons should "exercise caution, avoiding any demonstrations ....

i agree: britons, americans, germans etc etc should exercise caution, avoiding any demonstrations, even on tv. do you see, that some people are really concerned about your safety (and their safety to do uninterrupted business with corrupt politicians, like profitable arms sales)

The ever-changing, but always-weird looks of Samak continues... :D

In times of national turmoil, it's always reassuring to turn to the Leader and be faced with a tie-less, dissheveled old man who looks like he's coming off a 3 day bender....

1220159173.jpg

Thai PM reiterates: Won't dissolve House, nor resign; Parliament will meet

On a positive note, it seems he's at least sobered up from his national television address and also managed to find a tie and a clean suit before opening a joint session of Parliament. :o

but of course, he still maintains his "always-weird look" status...

r1216414136.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej speaks in parliament in Bangkok August 31, 2008. More than 1,000 government supporters marched on Thailand's parliament on Sunday as lawmakers began a special debate on street protests threatening to topple Samak.

REUTERS

=====

Quite interesting the number of DAAD-red ties were out in Parliament today...

Yeah and a better tailor than NattuWhat earlier.

This AM his nostrils looked more awake than his eyes by 5 points.

.....stay away from the demonstrations!......

and do so in australia, uk, usa and everywhere in the 'free world'. you are only allowed to protest in 'rogue-states' like russia, china, tibet and north korea. otherwise you are clubbed down, imprisoned and perhaps sent to guantanamo. very much unmasking

.....stay away from the demonstrations!......

and do so in australia, uk, usa and everywhere in the 'free world'. you are only allowed to protest in 'rogue-states' like russia, china, tibet and north korea. otherwise you are clubbed down, imprisoned and perhaps sent to guantanamo. very much unmasking

well some of the rogue-states are more friendly than the free one.

Interesting point h90

No Anand's gov. wasn't perfect, but yes, the before and after must really be confusing

Interesting thoughts, indeed. While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

I have said it before so some here might get a bit miffed at me repeating it but basically the situation is that Thailand is in a transitional period between a feudal system and democracy. With the powerful elite ruling class pushing for an extension of the old feudal system and the majority poor peasant class pushing for a more equatable democratic system. Throw an entrenched cultural system of corruption into that conflict and you have a very confusing mix. The democratic system has been badly corrupted for sure by those elite class who used it to gain power. But the bottom line is that a democratic system of government would be far better for the country economically and socially than a feudal system which makes virtual slaves of the poor masses and brings great wealth and power to the minority elite class. The current impasse is but a blip in Thailand's progression towards democracy. They will get there eventually, but first they have to rein in the rampant corruption which is part of the culture and very much a part of the old feudal system embraced by the minority elite ruling class who would like to turn back the clock. Any move now away from an elected democracy would be a move backwards.

Edited by ando

The PAD has become an embarrassment and vote losing liability to its party faves, the Democrats.

Why do I say this? Only because my wife says she's switching her vote from Democrat to PPP after seeing the PAD's shenanigans and the antics of Sondhi "I don't want to pay back my overdraft" Limtongkul.

And she was a big Democrat supporter - walked a mile to vote for Apirak Kosayothin whilst pregnant.

Anyway, many of you seem to base your iteration of Thai political philosophy on what your wives hector/ nag you about, ao why should I be different! :o:D

Why not have a PAD faction to switch. you only suggest a leftist solution.

could you explain how you see PAD to be leftist?

Sir,

If you don't know what side of the political spectrum that PAD lies at, I ask you why the heck are you commenting on in a political debate?

I see someone making an attempt to tie PAD, the Democrats and Muslin terrorism together in one handful.

Because of some tenuous connection to 'The South'. Right nice try.

How stupid to you REALLY think we are to buy that one?

Well guess what the south has 2 coasts and MANY different cultures.

Many also have lived in Bangkok for a time. Many places in the south

have people from ALL over Thailand, living and working,

and MOST of them dislike Samak.

Many watched Thaksin cut of development funds because they didn't vote for him

just as he said he would.

Do you think ANY want a continuation of that legacy.

I have asked people from 7-8 different areas of Thailand;

What do you think of the new government you have now?

Most give me a look like :

please why do you give me bad taste in mouth,

I was happy before you asked. And then explain at one

level of language or another why it is not good, as they see it.

Ubon, Udonthani, Narkon, Roi Et, Chaingmai, Kohn Kaen, Ayuthaia, Sukothai and others.

Same story.

My mistake for not mentioning that I disagree with the Muslim statement. I am quite aware that they are many from other parts of Thailand in the south and it is not only muslims living in there.

My answer was in reference to the airport question and I will stand by that. The party I was talking about has been in bed with PAD since the begining. Including the April 06 election boycott.

I'm evacuating my family out of Thailand next week to join me overseas.

Smiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3006.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3000.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3004.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3002.gif

The PAD has become an embarrassment and vote losing liability to its party faves, the Democrats.

Why do I say this? Only because my wife says she's switching her vote from Democrat to PPP after seeing the PAD's shenanigans and the antics of Sondhi "I don't want to pay back my overdraft" Limtongkul.

And she was a big Democrat supporter - walked a mile to vote for Apirak Kosayothin whilst pregnant.

Anyway, many of you seem to base your iteration of Thai political philosophy on what your wives hector/ nag you about, ao why should I be different! :o:D

Well then, I suppose it's good for the Democrats that she won't be here to vote and there's always a good chance of her absentee ballot getting lost in the mail.

btw, how's the "evacuation" coming along? Tomorrow is it that the family leave Thailand?

Interesting point h90

But the bottom line is that a democratic system of government would be far better for the country economically and socially than a feudal system which makes virtual slaves of the poor masses and brings great wealth and power to the minority elite class.

Well, given that the elected government under Thaksin was one of the most corrupt in recent history, is there really a difference between those elected and those assuming power under the old feudal system? Certainly democratic elections look better, but at the end of the day is the result any different?

National News Bureau 2000 hours

"Some Senators and MPs still calling for resignation of PM

After the Parliamnt's upper and lower house met today to discuss a remedy to the ongoing political and social situation of the nation, it was found that many of the Senators and MPs still supported the notion of the Prime Minister reconsidering his role or resigning from his post to dissolve the situation. Bangkok Governor Rossana Tohsritrakul (รสนา โตสิตระกูล), who supported the notion, stated that the presence of Senators in the People's Alliance for Democracy rally was to find information about the gatherings and not was not a sign of support, the senators she stated also took the time to commend police and security officials. Miss Rossana said that she does not want to see the nations' citizens divided over political matters and also called for the govenrment to investigate the use of tear gas against the rally.

Democrat MP Alongkorn Polbutr (อลงกรณ์ พลบุตร) echoed Miss Rossana's sentiments asking that the PM not be too attached to his position and act in the best interests of the nation. The MP put out 6 requests to the premier, the first being that he resign, the second was for the coalition government to withdraw and a new government be erected, third to have a national government established to solve the country's problems, fourth to dissolve the parliament and hold new elections, fifth to realize the dangers of sustaining the current government and sixth to accept the possibilty of revolution and the Prime Minister position's connection to the security and stability of the nation and its economy."

r4290995902.jpg

An injured protester is assisted after riot police used tear gas during clashes outside the metropolitan police headquarters in Bangkok August 29, 2008.

REUTERS

w111.jpg

Anti-government protesters carry the injured protester after Thai police fired tear gas into the air in Bangkok, Thailand, Friday, Aug. 29, 2008.

Associated Press

PM Samak Claims Police Never Used Tear Gas against Protesters

During his weekly televised address PM Samak Sundaravej claimed that police never used tear gas against PAD protesters.

- TOC

Edited by sriracha john