Bringing Jewelry Into Thailand

FreedomDude

Please don't ridicule me for not buying the jewelry IN Thailand. I know, I know, I could have gotten a much better deal in LOS. Whatever.

Anyhow, I'm flying into BKK in a few days with a necklace. It's worth about 12,000 Baht. I've read the Thai customs info website, and I'm still a little confused. Plus, I'd like a little practical advise.

Would you declare this? If I do, how much will I have to pay? Anyone with prior experience on this? Should I just shove it in the side pocket of my carry-on luggage and walk right on through?

Thanks for your time.

My wife buys her jewellery in HK and carries it into LOS without declaring - she reckons the quality (of diamonds) is better and with better guarantees. I have also bought in jewellery in my pocket. Never had a prob.

I would just put it in your pocket and treat it as personal effects - especially if your entering on a tourist visa.

pnusdedt: Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I can't even recall if you have to pass through a metal detector at Don Muang. I'm usually completely out of it at that point having spent about 28 hours on airplanes. Won't it look suspicious, though, if I empty my pockets to reveal a woman's gold necklace, obviously not mine, before walking through the metal detector (if there is one)? Not so sure it will bend to fit in my wallet.

Wear it around your own neck and then it's your own personal item. Even if they do spot it and question you and you're on a tourist visa or 30-day stay, you'll be taking it out as well. Keeping it in the pocket and getting searched will only show that you're intending on selling it or a gift item, which should be liable to duty. No metal detectors this end, that's all done before you board the plane.

Guest bluesky

What about the juwelery,collected during marriage (27 yrs) and brought into Thailand during the retirement move?

Moving company will not accept these items to be shipped.

Anybody know the procedures?

Dutch and Bluesky

What about the juwelery,collected during marriage (27 yrs) and brought into Thailand during the retirement move?

Dutch and Bluesky

Hi Dutch & Bluesky

My wife frequently takes a lot of jewellery in and out of Thailand in her hand luggage - I'm talking a few million baht worth. I'm sure she'll do the same when we move for retirement. She certainly would not trust a moving co. with them. :o

Dutch and Bluesky

Hi Dutch & Bluesky

My wife frequently takes a lot of jewellery in and out of Thailand in her hand luggage - I'm talking a few million baht worth. I'm sure she'll do the same when we move for retirement. She certainly would not trust a moving co. with them. :D

Same here. OK, it's only 1 year of marriage and it isn't a few million baht worth but my wife just brought all her jewellery hand baggage when we came. The most valuable parts are either worn or in her handbag. Her jewellery goes in and out of Bangkok when we go on holiday and we've never had any problems.

As a general comment, I've never had any problems having to declare things when coming into Thailand - my laptop goes in and out every week or so, jewellery goes in and out, etc. I get the feeling (may be wrong) that Thai Customs aren't worried about personal effects, they are more worried about people smuggling in items to sell. I've walked through in smart suits after a 2 hr flight or scruffy after a 12 hr flight - same effect! Of course, I may just have got lucky! :o

Duty Free Allowance

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

Above is the official explanation by Thai customs. Seems a bit outdated to me, I just google some prices, a jacket at Euro 160.00 for example, which equals Baht 8000 already. Add some pants and you reach your limit. :o

In daily practise I see no problem to carry personal jewelry for personal use in and out. Probably in the beauty case for ladies. For men in an attachee case.

Would say, customs, if they check at all, would only be suspicious if it is still in an original packing from a jewelry shop abroad.