Which Way To Go ?

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand on and off since I was 21, I am now 29. I have known my GF for over 5 years and we will get married in the UK ASAP. She owns her own property in Thailand and has rarely been unemployed. Last year she took an extended vacation to stay with me in the UK which lasted around 4-5 months.

She had no problem getting the visitor visa but I am worried about the marriage visa. I have been unemployed for a while but have been working steadily for the last 4 months.

Basically my question is this : will it be easier for her to visit the UK again and then we get married here while she applies to stay ? OR is it better to have the marriage visa approved beforehand ?

Also my job doesn't pay that well but is an average, steady salary. Is that more important (or as relevant) as having tons of cash in the bank ?

Hmmmm all very confusing I hope somebody can help. We have been apart for a long time :o

Thanks.

Edited by kankaroo

It's better to apply for the settlement visa beforehand as a visitor, generally speaking, can't seek to extend their stay beyond the six months in any capacity. The Immigration Rules do not specify that you have to have had a demonstrable emplyment status for a prescribed period of time; they simply require that you and your wife can show at the time of application that you can support yourselves in the UK and that this is likely to remain so. You don't need to have savings, but to show that your income is adequate for the purposes of taking care of yourselves.

Scouse.

...I know that I have to show the last 6 months of bank statements.

Not strictly true. The visa officer might ask to see such, but the submission of your last six months' bank statements is not a requirement of the Immigration Rules. Providing you can demonstrate by means of any evidence which attains the balance of probabilities that you and your wife can maintain yourselves without recourse to public funds, that particular criterion of the Rules should be satisfied.

Scouse.