Id requirement in Thailand

There is a discussion on another board about tourists carrying there Passports around for ID purposes, so is it necessary to do so. I have heard that a drivers license for eg with your picture on it will do as a means of ID. As the other board points out there is nothing at at the Airport Immigration on arrival to indicate to new arrivals that you are required to do so ???????.

Bigmike.

It's true. Carry your pp at all times. It's a bummer.

The Oz gov't site tells prospective travellers to do the same, re Thailand.

They must have had a lot of reports of bent cops demanding 2000+bt from unsuspecting tourists.

Where are you from (passport)?

udon I'm from Australia. I also just checked the Australian Government travel information web site and could find no reference to carrying passports in Thailand.

In fact they advise the opposite and advise travelers to keep there passports in a secure place.

Bigmike.

ways of doing it -

1) carry it in a safe place wherever you go ( the best way to go around anywhere in the world)

2) place it in the hotel's safe deposit box, so if the police does stop you ask the hotel to send it over to wherever you are (if the hotel would do that)

3) keep it in the room safe box, but make sure one the people that travels with you have their passport with them cost if there is an ID check the person with the passport would go to the hotel to retrieve it and back to the place to save all the other's a55's.

4) get a Thailand Driving licience

Explorer :o

I also just checked the Australian Government travel information

In fact they advise the opposite and advise travelers to keep there passports in a secure place.

Bigmike.

That is the sensible advice, but you are required to carry ID here.

The British government does advise traveller to carry their passport.

If you have a Thai driving licence that will probably suffice, it does for a Thai,

and is acceptable in banks here as well.

I have scanned my passport id page and front page, on my computer and printed them, credit card size, before laminating them back to back.

Makes a sort of ID card.

However I have never been asked to show my passport to the police, except after

a road traffic accident.

Mike, I think my info came in a newsletter from the Oz embassy in BKK, just recently and I have dumped it..

I'll have a word with the Minister to get it on their website, I guess Little Johnny and friends are a bit busy taking the pith out of Labour this week :D

This is a law that has been on the statute books for years but not enforced until some smartarsed, bent cop realised that they could make personal money out of it.

Many expats got away with 200-500 bt in the hand when stopped..... no receipt, surprise, surprise.

It is the law, but I have yet to hear of a report that its the Immi cops, just the corrupt, street plods. :D

I doubt if you will be stopped outside the tourist areas, but saying that, someone here will shoot me down :D

Australians are reminded that when overseas, they are subject to local laws. A violation of local laws in a foreign country may result in a jail sentence, served in a local prison. Consular assistance cannot override local law, even where local laws may appear harsh or unjust by Australian standards.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/General

Don't forget to register with the Oz Embassy in case the <deleted> hits the fan and don't come here without good health and accident insurance.

Here endeth the lesson :o:D

udon thanks for the information but I have visited Thailand quite a few times (twice last year at Pattaya) and never been asked for any ID, sure I have heard and read that they ask for them in Bangkok but I was just asking from curiosity. May be next time I'll get a Thai drivers license, it can be done.

Bigmike.

I have been in Thailand 5 years and never ben stopped but have met quite a few guys who have been fleeced.

One was a Yank Dr. outside Bumrumgrad (sp) he had a photocopy of his pp, a work permit and a Thai drivers licence. Silly bugger still paid plod 2000b.

It is the law.

If you have to ID yourself..?Is it like somebody suggested here,to make this minipassport in plastic,and is driverlicense from EU sufficient.Would be nice to keep valuabels in safetybox...

They want the original passport. You might get away with it. Make sure that the arrival stamp and arrival/departure card is included.

If you have to ID yourself..?Is it like somebody suggested here,to make this minipassport in plastic,and is driverlicense from EU sufficient.Would be nice to keep valuabels in safetybox...

If the copper wants to be stubborn and by the book, neither will suffice and you're liable to a fine, in my own experience. Get a Thai drivers licence if you have an 'O' or 'B' visa.

I made my own.

Scanned the front and id pages of the passport on the computer.

Prined them out credit card size and the laminted the two, back to back.

Not so much for the police here, but as a general id, in case I have an accident when I am travelling overseas.

I like carrying my passport.

I can't wait for some dummie to try to con me out of 2Kb.

I'll go thru the motions of searching everywhere on my person, all the time watching their faces and when they think i haven't got it........ hey Presto!, here it is.......!

2 pithed of cops wander off , empty handed. Ho Ho :o

Just my sick sense of humour. :D

Wondering if there are any regulations set for those who have their Passport at Immigration for Visa issue or reneval purposes, or have them at a foreign Embassy for a Visa issuing?

Common sense should tell you you should be able to sort this out with the Police man in such a Situation, maybe by producing some paper, but common sense don't get us too far in Thailand some times.

So, could it happen that a tourist / resident of Thailand will be kept in the Monkeyhouse for Days as he cannot show the Passport, as the other Boys have it in custody to extend his Permit of stay?

Is this possible, or are ther some by-rules officially stated for these situations?

Sunny

Wondering if there are any regulations set for those who have their Passport at Immigration for Visa issue or reneval purposes, or have them at a foreign Embassy for a Visa issuing?

Common sense should tell you you should be able to sort this out with the Police man in such a Situation, maybe by producing some paper, but common sense don't get us too far in Thailand some times.

So, could it happen that a tourist / resident of Thailand will be kept in the Monkeyhouse for Days as he cannot show the Passport, as the other Boys have it in custody to extend his Permit of stay?

Is this possible, or are ther some by-rules officially stated for these situations?

Sunny

Immigration does not issue visas so if your passport is at immigration you should be with it. They do not keep it for extension of stay.

If you leave with foreign Embassy you should have a receipt and just hope that police will accept that. Hopefully you will have other photo ID that might help such as a drivers license or copy of your passport.

Sunny

Immigration does not issue visas so if your passport is at immigration you should be with it. They do not keep it for extension of stay.

If you leave with foreign Embassy you should have a receipt and just hope that police will accept that. Hopefully you will have other photo ID that might help such as a drivers license or copy of your passport.

Those two things will get you past the barrier every time Lop.

Immigration does not issue visas so if your passport is at immigration you should be with it.  They do not keep it for extension of stay.

I had my 30 Day stamp extended last Year in Pattaya. Came with Passport, Fotos, Copies, Money (was one of the last 500 Bt Days). They took everything from me, including the Passport, gave me a Piece of Cardboard stating a number (no stamp or anything else on it) and told me to pick up my passport the next Day.

Sunny

Immigration does not issue visas so if your passport is at immigration you should be with it.  They do not keep it for extension of stay.

I had my 30 Day stamp extended last Year in Pattaya. Came with Passport, Fotos, Copies, Money (was one of the last 500 Bt Days). They took everything from me, including the Passport, gave me a Piece of Cardboard stating a number (no stamp or anything else on it) and told me to pick up my passport the next Day.

Sunny

Suspect "last 500 Bt Days" had much to do with that. :o

If the copper wants to be stubborn and by the book, neither will suffice and you're liable to a fine, in my own experience. Get a Thai drivers licence if you have an 'O' or 'B' visa.

OK,,I have three visas( two old), there is nothing with textual comentary with O or B,just tourist,what does O and B stands for?And when I`m at it,how do you get a Thai driverlicense?

OK,,I have three visas( two old), there is nothing with textual comentary with O or B,just tourist,what does O and B stands for?And when I`m at it,how do you get a Thai driverlicense?

"O" is other

"B" is business

"TR" is tourist

You do not have an O or B visa.

It is the law.

What Law???

Please refer

Its actually the law for all people to carry a form of official govenment issued ID. In thailand, all Thai nationals have to have an ID card on them at all times. For foreigners it is their passport.

I think though that Thailand should follow the example of places like Hong Kong and Singapore, who issue temporary ID cards to workpermit holders, and those with visas allowing them to stay for more than 60 days.

You can be sure though that a sensible reform like this will be vigourously opposed by the police!!

For the guys with Thai wives/hubbies you should carry a copy of their Thai I.D card.

If you are stopped just suggest that they(ploddies-immi-border police-Burmese freedom fighters) call them to identify YOU.

Dont forget its Thailand...lose of face.

I never travel without it but then I have never been stopped. :D:o

Also helps if you want to get rid of a persistant Bar lady...........Para-ya Kon Thai.....arggg......and they are OfF-ski :D big time.

When in doubt, I like to get it straight from the horse's mouth and when I read about that matter recently I wrote to the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Sent : 17 August 2004 09:18:43

To : ███████████████

Subject : Re: passport requirement

| | | Inbox

Dear Sir ,

According your mail we would like to inform you that ,normorly you have

to carry your passport with you all the time ,for more information I recomment

you visited in web site : www.tourist.police.go.th

e-mail : [email protected] and call direct to touris police tel:1155

Best regards,

W.N.

Information section

E-mail: [email protected]

Tourism Authority of Thailand (www.tat.or.th)

Quoting ███████████████

:

>

> Is it true that tourists in Thailand must carry their passports with them all

> the time while in Bangkok? I read the following today in a letter to the

> editor of The Nation:

> ***

> My wife and I are in Thailand for about three weeks as tourists. On Sunday,

> after dinner, we wanted to have a drink at the well-known Q Bar on Sukhumvit

> Soi 11. Both of us and another friend could not enter the place because we

> didn\'t bring along our passports, which we kept at our hotel, the Conrad. I

> understand that the Interior Minister in Thailand is very eager to prevent

> underaged patrons from entering pubs and bars. However, all of us are around

> 50 (yes, 50) years old. Today I read in your newspaper that many foreigners

> were fined the day before at the same bar because they didn\'t carry their

> passports.

> ***

> Source:

>

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news....19134&usrsess=1

>

UNQUOTE

--

Xakero

Despite being told that "it is the law", I have never seen anyone produce a copy of the law that states a foreigner must carry his or her passport at all times. Has anyone on the board actually seen this law in black and white? If so, I for one would be interested to know the name of the law and the relevant provision. I have spoken to several Thai lawyers who all say the same thing - there is no such law.