Kroo Ae From Mtl Thai School

MTLae

Hello everyone,

my name is Ae and I m a teacher from My Thai Language School.

During my free time, I'll be very happy to answer to any question you have about Thai language so please feel free to ask me.

Regards.

Kroo ae. :o

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone,

During my free time, I'll be very happy to answer to any question you have about Thai language so please feel free to ask me.

Regards.

Why does มันส์ have a ส์? Any idea of the origin?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

Regards.

Thanks in advance.

Could it be a slang word using the combination of "มัน" and "สนุก". มันสนุก - มันส์ ?

Hello everyone,

Regards.

Thanks in advance.

Could it be a slang word using the combination of "มัน" and "สนุก". มันสนุก - มันส์ ?

Dear aanon and 5tash,

For the world มันส์ it's an expression when you do something exciting

and มัน=it, we use to call thing with this word

Looking in the dictionary, both "มัน" and "สนุก" can mean "to enjoy". I know that in Thai it's quite a stylistic feature to combine two adjectives of similar meanings. For example "สวยงาม", "ใหญ่โต". Could it be a possibility that "มันส์" is slang for the combination "มันสนุก" ? Or am I looking a bit too far into this ?

As for being a middle age person and had heard this word since I was young, I would say the word มันส์ is just a plural term of มัน (enjoy, fun). We learn that most English plural term have 's' at the end of the word, then we just imitate it by adding 'ส์' at the end of Thai word. :o

Looking in the dictionary, both "มัน" and "สนุก" can mean "to enjoy". I know that in Thai it's quite a stylistic feature to combine two adjectives of similar meanings. For example "สวยงาม", "ใหญ่โต". Could it be a possibility that "มันส์" is slang for the combination "มันสนุก" ? Or am I looking a bit too far into this ?

I just think it interesting that this slang word has a ์. It would seem a bit unusual for such a slang word to have come from a Pali or Sanskrit root - especially since the word has no other meaning. With a ส์ on the end, an English derivation is another strong possibility, but I can't think of a candidate word in English. Perhaps another language that I don't know (there are many).

all the best.

note: just saw yoot's post. interesting possibility. if มัน is fun, then มันส์ must be at least twice as much fun!

assuming you're right, are there any other words that follow this kind of logic? i think of names like จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย as borrowing their structure from English (is this right?) but using the morphological features of another language within a single word is another thing.

Edited by aanon

Another word which has this kind of logic but might not so popular as this word is มากส์, a greater degree than single มาก. It's the same มันส์ which have a greater degree than a single มัน. It means very fun.

Edited by yoot

Whilst searching Lexitron for another possibility of a word where "ส์", "pluralizes" a Thai word I came across this interesting word "บ๊องส์" - [V] be half-crazy, be unbalanced; be cracked; be potty.

Now the ไม้ตรี and ส์ are crying out "loanword". Could it be from the English "bonkers" ?

Whilst searching Lexitron for another possibility of a word where "ส์", "pluralizes" a Thai word I came across this interesting word "บ๊องส์" - [V] be half-crazy, be unbalanced; be cracked; be potty.

Now the ไม้ตรี and ส์ are crying out "loanword". Could it be from the English "bonkers" ?

5tash, this is a good one.

The word is actually spelled บ๊อง.

It's the same as other examples above. We often say something like "เอ็งนี่ ไม่ใช่บ๊องธรรมดานะ บ๊องเติมเอสเลยแหละ" which became "บ๊องส์".

It is not. We use ส์ with some Thai words only such as ยากส์ (more difficult) มันส์ (more fun) บ๊องส์ (crazier) etc.

Can you clarify how these words are spoken because I would have assumed that the ส์ ending is not voiced (due to the 'gaaran' mark).

I think that Thais are able to identify that a word such as "มันส์" is a loanword from English because of the "ส์", therefore pronounce it as "mans". Strictly speaking though, it should be pronounced as "man" for the reasons Rak Sa_Ngop suggested.

Dear all,

I'm agree with 5tash that we use ส์ in case we neet to express a greater degree of word (surely that we borrow this usage from English...when we have to fill S to change singular to plural)

However, this slang is still popular in writing more than speaking (nowaday Thai teenager seldom say มันส์), but we still found it in the commercial field like ... http://www.tevada-tokmun.com/

PS. The rule of use the mark ส์ (gaa-ran) in Thai is make the letter which appears under it silence, but due to มันส์ is the slang word, so the user break that rule by pronounce it "mans".

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

Dear all,

I'm agree with 5tash that we use ส์ in case we neet to express a greater degree of word (surely that we borrow this usage from English...when we have to fill S to change singular to plural)

However, this slang is still popular in writing more than speaking (nowaday Thai teenager seldom say มันส์), but we still found it in the commercial field like ... http://www.tevada-tokmun.com/

PS. The rule of use the mark ส์ (gaa-ran) in Thai is make the letter which appears under it silence, but due to มันส์ is the slang word, so the user break that rule by pronounce it "mans".

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

thanks everyone for the replies. i'm glad i asked - this is a new area of thai linguistic creativeness that i wasn't aware of.

all the best.

It also breaks a fundamental rule of the Thai language which does not allow a syllable final consonant cluster. Thus I would imagine this slang to be quite localized in speech as most Thais would have as much difficulty pronouncing such words with a final /s/ as do most Westerners when trying to pronounce in Thai a syllable initial /ng/.

My guess is that it is slang used amongst a young, urban, and educated social crowd as this middle aged curmudgeon who hangs out with his Thai age peers in more rural settings has never encountered it.

Just as an supplement to this discussion, from the Royal Institute’s “Dictionary of New Words, Volume 1” comes the following:

มันส์ ก. สนุกมาก เช่น หนังเรื่องนี้มันส์สุดๆ สู้กันตั้งแต่ต้นเรื่อง

“Verb. to be a lot of fun, for example, “This movie is a lot of fun; there is fighting from the very beginning.”

This version of the RID is very scrupulous regarding word origins and for the word มันส์ there is no indication of origin.

Dear all,

However, this slang is still popular in writing more than speaking (nowaday Thai teenager seldom say ส์), but we still found it in the commercial field like ... http://www.tevada-tokmun.com/

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

Interesting that I was just going through my Thai class notes yesterday and in the lesson when we were learning about elephants there was an expression 'tok man/mun' ตกมัน which the teacher defined as ช้างที่ไม่ได้ผสมพันธ์เเล้วบ้า or an elephant that goes crazy due to not being allowed to breed (in must).

I assume the difference between ตกมัน and ตกมันส์ is clear from context.

Pardon my ignorance, but leaving aside the "s" addition to signify "extra fun," I am confused about the definition of "fun" for the root word. Is that also slang? None of the seven dictionaries I consulted has that definition. :o

From the Domnern and Sathiengpong CD Rom dictionary;

มัน to feel like (doing something), be /itching/stewing/(to do something; to be fun; to like, enjoy

Dear all,

However, this slang is still popular in writing more than speaking (nowaday Thai teenager seldom say ส์), but we still found it in the commercial field like ... http://www.tevada-tokmun.com/

PS. The rule of use the mark ส์ (gaa-ran) in Thai is make the letter which appears under it silence, but due to มันส์ is ธthe slang word, so the user break that rule by pronounce it "mans".

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

Interesting that I was just going through my Thai class notes yesterday and in the lesson when we were learning about elephants there was an expression 'tok man/mun' ตกมัน which the teacher defined as ช้างที่ไม่ได้ผสมพันธ์เเล้วบ้า or an elephant that goes crazy due to not being allowed to breed (in must).

The word "ตก" has many meanings, one of them can be "to meet, arrive". I think that in the context of the movie "เทวดาตกมันส์", "ตกมันส์" means "to have fun".

EDIT; Sorry I didn't read your post thoroughly, I think "ตกมัน" can also mean "to have fun". I think the title of the movie is a play on the two possible meanings, "to be fun and crazy".

Edited by 5tash

Pardon my ignorance, but leaving aside the "s" addition to signify "extra fun," I am confused about the definition of "fun" for the root word. Is that also slang? None of the seven dictionaries I consulted has that definition. :o

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/18069.html

No, that is not the root word - it is the bastardized spelling, as discussed in this topic. But I am asking about the root word. Even the page you cite gives the definition "it."

Edited by mangkorn

Dear all,

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

Doing a little research, it would seem that your teacher's definition of "ตกมัน" is slightly off. I think that "ตกมัน" describes the condition where a thick tar-like substance (musth) secretes from the side of the bull elephants head, it is accompanied by a significant rise in testosterone, which causes highly aggressive behaviour.

Okay, finally found it in Thianchai Iamworamate's huge Thai-English dictionary, which gives one definition as: "to satisfy one's craving, to enjoy oneself to the full."

Outstanding dictionary, by the way.

hey mangkorn,

you inspired me to do a quick search. here are a few other dictionaries/reference works I found to have มัน listed with the meaning we've been discussing:

RID (thai-thai)

so sethaputra (thai-english library edition)

domnern sathienpong (thai-english)

matichon (thai-thai)

คลังคำ [groups related words, with definitions] (thai-thai)

Dr Wit Thiengburanathum (thai-english)

all the best

Dear all,

I think that there are many meanings of มัน in Thai (excluding มันส์ that we cannot find in the formal writing)

In case of phrase ช้างตกมัน that you refer, it's in the meaning of elephant condition in mating season because there are oily face and genital. In the other hand, มันส์ that is the main topic we mention is funny, then I think that we cannot use มันส์ with this elaphant condition (eventhough most of elephant usually feel that).

Take care,

Kroo Ae