Bangkok’s Worldwide Identity.

PhilHarries

Patpong, sure, but there isn't a specific image of Patpong that is iconic in the way the OP is talking about. For Bangkok, really, such a thing does not exist. The closest thing I do agree is a tuk tuk, but there are thousands of tuk tuks, so that isn't one image of one thing, like the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not every city has ONE iconic image. I think that is the posters point. You don't need to have one. Some have one, some don't.

Another example, Los Angeles does not have ONE iconic image, while St Louis Missouri does.

Edited by Jingthing

The Hollywood sign is about is iconic as iconic gets.

Hollywood walk of fame.

Sunset boulevard.

Venice beach.

LA has a ton of iconic places you really must have never watched a television or movie.

You didn't get the point of the OP. The Hollywood sign, maybe, but Sunset Blvd and Venice Beach, they are not a singular IMAGE. These icons are usually pieces of architecture in the cities that have them. It is true some cities have multiple icons, of course. Wash DC has the trifecta: white house, Capitol, and the phallus monument. This isn't an exact science, of course. San Francisco, of course the GG Gate bridge, but it is often bunched up with the Transamerica pyramid and Coit Tower, again all ARCHITECTURAL features.

Here is a real easy one: PISA

Edited by Jingthing

The Grand Palace should be the icon of BKK IMHO

Sure, that makes logical sense, but in reality, Bangkok does not have any one iconic architectural feature that is the equivalent of Paris/Eiffel Tower, St Louis/Arch, Rio/Christ the Redeemer statue (you may not know the name but you know the IMAGE), Sydney/Opera House.

umm Something physically attached to the landscape is an architectural feature. Both the walk of fame and the Hollywood sign are architectural features. I really don't mind though if you don't get it. More people world wide would recognise the hollywood sign than any "architectural" feature in Bangkok.

Edited by anotheruser

umm Something physically attached to the landscape is an architectural feature. Both the walk of fame and the Hollywood sign are architectural features. I really don't mind though if you don't get it. More people world wide would recognise the hollywood sign than any "architectural" feature in Bangkok.

I previously agreed with you the Hollywood sign is an LA icon and it is also an architectural feature, but it doesn't rate as a great singular icon compared to some of the other examples (Paris/Eiffel tower) etc.

True, a unique physical icon probably doesn't exist per say, but instead represented somewhat by the whole Eastern Asian Mysticism type branding, ie, reclining Buddhas, classic Thai dancers, and the obligatory tropical beach sunset with attendant longtail boat.

All else failing, the post card rack will be the defining influence. :o

Just an aside, but it is indicative of how much is known abroad about Bangkok. I read in a UK newspaper a couple of days ago that a senior police officer who is waging a war against prostitution in Glasgow doesn't want the city to be known as "the Bangkok of the Northern Hemisphere". Somebody should inform this worldly-wise campaigner that there already is a place that is known as the Bangkok of the Northern Hemisphere. Its called Bangkok!

So what bought you to Thailand ?

There is your own personal answer.

Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, it was work and a British Airways 747. But before setting foot in Thailand, although I knew where the country was geographically, I had absolutely no mental image of the place. It wasn't just me either, I remember some people arriving to start their assignment who were surprised, nay almost shocked, that there were paved roads.

But I'm thinking of the family man trudging down Slough high street on a wet November day thinking "Where shall I take the family on holiday next year?". What image could he see in a travel agent's window that would say Thailand? And I'm not thinking about the girls around the chrome poles that would make him think "<deleted> the family I'm going where ever those honeys are at".

As far as modern architectural icons go the Rama VIII Bridge takes some beating.

Japanese built, Tokyo has a dozen of them.

Really? No Thai workers or engineers involved? :o

By the way, I've seen a Discovery Channel show about the constructions of the subway and a new bridge in Thailand. Strangely, there seemed to be plenty of Thai workers/engineers at the sites, and not a single Japanese. :D

Like this....note of thanks to Japanese for investing money. Now, the same Japanese are funding second runway at Suvarnabhumi.

If it were up to Thai engineers and workers, neither the bridge or Suvarnabhumi would have existed.

(Sorry for bad picture, it's just after immigration counters, a quick snap)

post-7277-1219883627_thumb.jpg

Phil without Googling images for Thailand the following come to my mind as Thai iconic images.

P.S. I feel for the posters who's friends and aquaintances only associate Thailand with sex.

Yes Ken these are just the images that we all know instantly as being of Thailand. But for the uninitiated Chatuchak market could be anywhere in south east Asia and the same with the beach (probably less so since the film of the same name). Unless you are familiar with Thai architecture the temple could come from any Buddhist country of which there are a few.

But yes those three images are probably the closest you'll come to the mystical iconic one, but which one would you choose? I suppose in a way that speaks volumes about the diversity of Thailand that there isn't one image that conveys the message.

The smiles.

Thailand is famous for and try to associate itself with the smiles.

Easy as that.

I know this will hurt those of you wanting to put the sex trade image on the country.

But the smile, is the symbol for the country.

:o

You are correct after all it's not known as the Land of Smiles for nothing but the picture of a smiling Asian girl could equally be Singaporean, Malaysian, Indonesian etc. Very few people would know the difference.

Much as we may dislike the image of the sex trade hanging over Thailand you step into a British pub and announce you are off to Bangkok on holiday and see the looks and hear the comments you get. But, funnily enough, you substitute Singapore for Bangkok and the reactions will be a world apart despite Singapore having a thriving sex trade.

But I'm thinking of the family man trudging down Slough high street on a wet November day thinking "Where shall I take the family on holiday next year?". What image could he see in a travel agent's window that would say Thailand? And I'm not thinking about the girls around the chrome poles that would make him think "<deleted> the family I'm going where ever those honeys are at".

In that case, I would still stand with the suggestion of Wat Phra Keow which in it's own right is a showcase of Thailand. Assuming the person knows nothing about Thailand, it (and the surrounding area) is architecturally striking and can represent an exotic land worth seeing. Secondly, the style, though grandly magnificent, is typical of other Thai wats seen around the country.

I cannot think of one single image that screams Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, to the world.

Old, grey haired Fat westerners taking advantage of their comparative wealth ?

Unfortunately, my caustic friend, age is a byproduct of survival and grey hair is the alternative to no hair. Fatness is avoidable with hard work but hard work is what you do when you are young and trying to prove yourself. Wealth is an almost intolerable burden we martyrs have to endure and you are most welcome to add to our burden so that we can prove our total commitment to the cause. :D

So you see that the old, fat, grey haired, rich westerner sat on the bar stool is merely keeping the seat warm for the day you are able to step up to the plate.

But hurry up, I want to go home to bed. :o

As far as modern architectural icons go the Rama VIII Bridge takes some beating.

By the way, I've seen a Discovery Channel show about the constructions of the subway and a new bridge in Thailand. Strangely, there seemed to be plenty of Thai workers/engineers at the sites, and not a single Japanese. :D

Like this....note of thanks to Japanese for investing money. Now, the same Japanese are funding second runway at Suvarnabhumi.

If it were up to Thai engineers and workers, neither the bridge or Suvarnabhumi would have existed.

You said "Japanese built", not "Japanese funded". Is "built" the same as "funded"? Is this what's called "distortion of truth" in English? I'm just asking. :D

You said "Japanese built", not "Japanese funded". Is "built" the same as "funded"? Is this what's called "distortion of truth" in English? I'm just asking. :D

The pyramids, the Great Wall of China, built by slave labor. Who cares?

I think we all know that sadly it is people who willingly sell themselves for sex that has made Thailand famous / infamous. A stigma which I can't see Thailand getting away from. How many times have people asked me where I live and I reply "Bangkok" only to get the raised eyebrows and knowing smile.

Sad but true.

Well in that case a picture of one of the many ' parlours of non medicinal massage' might be appropriate as a logo.

The pyramids, the Great Wall of China, built by slave labor. Who cares?

So why did you say that it was "Japanese built" then? :o:D

To make you run rounds. :D

This is more complicated: in WW2, Japanese used western PoWs as slaves to build the bridge over the river Kwai. On Thai theritory.

That has not made it into icons at all, many who have heard or watched the movie don't even remeber or know it was in Thailand.

This is more complicated: in WW2, Japanese used western PoWs as slaves to build the bridge over the river Kwai. On Thai theritory.

That has not made it into icons at all, many who have heard or watched the movie don't even remeber or know it was in Thailand.

If you were Thai, I would think that you must definitely have been one of the "Nor Por Gor" or PPP people. :o:D

If you were Thai, I would think that you must definitely have been one of the "Nor Por Gor" or PPP people. :o:D

I told you so. It was too complicated.

I cannot think of one single image that screams Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, to the world.

Old, grey haired Fat westerners taking advantage of their comparative wealth ?

Unfortunately, my caustic friend, age is a byproduct of survival and grey hair is the alternative to no hair. Fatness is avoidable with hard work but hard work is what you do when you are young and trying to prove yourself. Wealth is an almost intolerable burden we martyrs have to endure and you are most welcome to add to our burden so that we can prove our total commitment to the cause. :D

So you see that the old, fat, grey haired, rich westerner sat on the bar stool is merely keeping the seat warm for the day you are able to step up to the plate

But hurry up, I want to go home to bed. :o

:D Now that is the best comeback ever. Very clever and could only be written by a genuinely fat, grey hard haired moderately wealthy westerner