Convert Tourist Visa To Non-immigrant-o (marriage Visa)

I would like to convert my tourist visa to a non-immigrant O. I will get married in Bangkok (US citizen). My fiancee is a Thai citizen. I read the US Embassy and Thai immigration website information and wanted to clarify a few things.

Step 1. It seems that I need to go to the US Embassy and fill in an ‘affidavit’ that states that I am currently single. This is notarized at the Embassy. The affidavit has to be translated into Thai. I take the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) who authorizes the papers (2 days).

Step 2. These documents (and several other documents) are then taken to the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 3 are issued and the marriage becomes legal.

Step 3. I take these documents (and several other documents) to immigration and can change my tourist visa to a non-O (90 days). I can than apply for an extension for 1 year prior to the 90 day non-O visa expiring.

The questions I have include:

1) For step 1, I don’t think I need my fiancée with me. Can I do this several months before the visit to the Amphur?

2) For step 2, I need my fiancée with me. Is this done in the Amphur where her property is…or where we will live (a different city)? Is the KR2 and KR3 issued that day?

3) For step 3, does this need to be done in Bangkok, or can I do it in Pattaya where we will live?

4) For step 3, is it possible to get a 1 year non-O rather than starting with a 90 day non-O?

Thanks for your help.

1. You don't need your fiancee with you. You can do it well before you get married but the affadavid can not be older than 3 months. (not sure if it is 2 or 3 months).

2. Can be done at any amphur.

3. You can do it in Pattaya as well.

Note that the way you want to do it is possible, but if you are on a tourist visa (or visa exempt entry) you need to have at least 21 days left on your permitted to stay stamp. Otherwise you have to do a visa run and get a 90 day non-O visa from aconsulate or if possible get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then convert to a non-O visa as you planned.

4. To my best knowledge it is not possible.

I would like to convert my tourist visa to a non-immigrant O. I will get married in Bangkok (US citizen). My fiancee is a Thai citizen. I read the US Embassy and Thai immigration website information and wanted to clarify a few things.

Step 1. It seems that I need to go to the US Embassy and fill in an ‘affidavit’ that states that I am currently single. This is notarized at the Embassy. The affidavit has to be translated into Thai. I take the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) who authorizes the papers (2 days).

Step 2. These documents (and several other documents) are then taken to the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 3 are issued and the marriage becomes legal.

Step 3. I take these documents (and several other documents) to immigration and can change my tourist visa to a non-O (90 days). I can than apply for an extension for 1 year prior to the 90 day non-O visa expiring.

The questions I have include:

1) For step 1, I don’t think I need my fiancée with me. Can I do this several months before the visit to the Amphur?

2) For step 2, I need my fiancée with me. Is this done in the Amphur where her property is…or where we will live (a different city)? Is the KR2 and KR3 issued that day?

3) For step 3, does this need to be done in Bangkok, or can I do it in Pattaya where we will live?

4) For step 3, is it possible to get a 1 year non-O rather than starting with a 90 day non-O?

Thanks for your help.

Relating to question no 4, if you play it right, depending on which office, it is sometimes possible to get the 90 days and the 365 days in one go, resulting in 15 months.

I got that in Nong Khai.

Nong Khai?

Yes, Nong Khai!

Really?

Yes, really!

Edited by hansnl

I'm sort of in a similar situation so I'm going to carryback my question on yours, thanks :o

was wondering for the proof of 40k, what that specifically needs to be. Our store, recently opened in my fiance's name just the last two months. We can show receipts for the last month over 40k. Will this suffice?

Also, is my understanding right from the previous responses theres no need to leave the country to change to non-imm-O and for the extension?

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's comments. I added some additional information for the question Thaigecko had.

For Step 1, I will probably do this 2 months prior to getting married. I checked the US Embassy website, but I didn't notice what the time limit was. I'll probably just call them.

For Step 3, I'll do it in Pattaya. I'll have more than 21 days left on my visa when I visit immigration, so I am ok on that issue. I noticed another post mentioning that an extension can be done at immigration if needed. So no need to leave the country if you can extend your visa 30 days at immigration.

As for the $40k/mo, my fiancee makes more than that amount. On the immigration website, the following information was listed. I just listed the pertenient information related to my posting. Check the immigration website for all the documents needed.

From Immgration Website

===================

For conversion to Non-Immigrant O

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

- Copy of marriage Certificate(Kor Ror.2)

- Copy of marriage Registeration Papers (Kor Ror.3)

For 1 year Extension of Non-Immigration O

==============================================================

Incase of Working

1. A copy of work permit or receiving work permit form ( WP.2 )
  2. The letter from the applicant’s company to certify salary that the applicant receives not less than 40,000 baht per month (identifier position and salary) or husband or wife working has Income including at least 40,000 baht/month
  3. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt

==============================================================