Offshore Banks--guarantees?

Hopefully this has not already been asked and answered--if so, sorry.

What with all the worries about UK Banks etc...going 'tits-up' and the recommendation not to put more than 35k [ soon to rise to 50k] in any ONE Banking Institution--where does the investor stand with regard to offshore accounts--either based in Europe, Channel Isles or Asia [singapore, Hong Kong]??

Also, to kill 1 bird per stone--where do you learned folk recommend as being the easiest, best, most reliable of these various options?? Not--under YOUR mattress!

Not so good protection with offshore but if you choose a large bank you should be ok. I think Isle of man has a little more protection i think it might be up to £15000. No protection on channel islands. Hope that helps

What with all the worries about UK Banks etc...going 'tits-up' and the recommendation not to put more than 35k [ soon to rise to 50k] in any ONE Banking Institution--where does the investor stand with regard to offshore accounts--either based in Europe, Channel Isles or Asia [singapore, Hong Kong]??

Also, to kill 1 bird per stone--where do you learned folk recommend as being the easiest, best, most reliable of these various options?? Not--under YOUR mattress!

Just by chance I discussed above with a Kiwi guy yesterday.

For six months fix you can get 8%, tax on interest 20%, low risk and that looks very promising to me as a Swiss with as little as we can get.

And opening an account with this bank in Kiwi land is just a mouse-klick away.

For six months fix you can get 8%, tax on interest 20%, low risk and that looks very promising to me as a Swiss with as little as we can get.

You can make those kind of numbers in the UK these days. egg.com were offering 3 yr bond at 8% p/a. Tax, 20%. And if you pension'd it so to speak, tax free.

Off-shore, why not just go for HSBC or similar if concerned about banks viability? Too big to fail.....................hopefully.......... :o

Go and have a look at Citibank international personal banking in Singapore, best bank I have ever been with, the customer service with HSBC is dire..

you get the same % (and more) in Singapore TAX FREE. no need to go all the way to Kiwiland and pay taxes.