Thai Marriage Certificate

sezzo

I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I live in Ubon province and am planning to marry the little lady in the next month or so. I was informed by my prospective brother-in-law that because a farang is involved (namely me) that the arrangements for the marriage certificate needs to be done in Bangkok instead of the "Town Hall" equivilant in the nearest major town.

Has anybody encountered this before and if so please post some information here to enlighten me. Eagerly awaiting some responses.

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.  I live in Ubon province and am planning to marry the little lady in the next month or so.  I was informed by my prospective brother-in-law that because a farang is involved (namely me) that the arrangements for the marriage certificate needs to be done in Bangkok instead of the "Town Hall" equivilant in the nearest major town. 

Has anybody encountered this before and if so please post some information here to enlighten me. Eagerly awaiting some responses.

Brother-in-law must be refering to the certification of your affirmation to marry document which has to be translated. Get the affirmation from your embassy, get it translated and then certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi (I think) Bangkok. You can then take this document along with your passport to your local Amphur to get wed.

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.  I live in Ubon province and am planning to marry the little lady in the next month or so.  I was informed by my prospective brother-in-law that because a farang is involved (namely me) that the arrangements for the marriage certificate needs to be done in Bangkok instead of the "Town Hall" equivilant in the nearest major town. 

Brother-in-law must be refering to the certification of your affirmation to marry document which has to be translated. Get the affirmation from your embassy, get it translated and then certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi (I think) Bangkok. You can then take this document along with your passport to your local Amphur to get wed.

The American Embassy web site spell out the requirements fairly well as probably your embassy (you didn't say what home country you are from). It pretty much is as outlined by "jackr".

US Embassy, Bangkok

This is correct (not sure about location though).

VERY IMPORTANT!

Once the documents have been translated, be sure that the content is EXACTLY the same on both Thai and English documents before handing them over to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It`s usually a couple of hours wait. Our english document was missing the translation of something insignificant and our certification was DENIED. We had to get the documents translated over again and wasted more than 6 hours sitting in BKK traffic, the wife also wasting a day off work...

Good Luck! :o

Penzman

We got all the relevent foriegn (Canadian) documents done at the Canadian Consulate in Chiang Mai. Had everything translades and the translation service also included the cost of sending them to Bangkok and having them stamped there. Took about 1 week.

Make sure you have the relevent documents Divorce decree if you were married, in my case myxwife's death certificate. (not the one i was marrying)

We married in the amphoe in Phayao and it was mor waiting than anything else. Then went back to our house had the ceremony the next day..

You will require translations of a few documents, english - thai and visa versa, if you are getting married and want a spouse visa.

Personally I found we needed to go to Bkk because the embassy is involved, so we used a translation service, who not only do the translation but organise the marriage at an amphur. There is a fee involved, but I feel the cost was well worth it, it can be all done in one day and it's just hassle free.

Thank you one and all for the responses and valuable information that was presented. I shall get myself down to the Oz embassy and start the ball rolling. As a relatively newcomer to Thailand, I have found this website and forum system invaluable to my transition to the good life over here.

Once again thanks to everyone involved