Why Do Many Of Us Tip More Than The Orientals In Orientalland?

Jingthing

My father is a food and beverage manager in Las Vegas, and my brother is a restaurant manager in Boston. I have always considered myself to be a good tipper, and tipping is ingrained in American culture. It used to be 10%, but now it is as much as 15-20% of the total bill. In America, bartenders will ignore you if they consider you to be a "cheap Charlie", however if you are known to be a decent tipper, you will often get 5 star treatment upon your next visit (same with many restaurants). I find this to be the norm in the LOS as well. Usually you will find yourself getting much better service if you are known to be a decent tipper. Being a decent tipper in Thailand is a fraction of the tip you would leave in the west, so there is no reason to be a "cheap charlie" People may bitch about this, but this is how the(food & beverage) service industry operates (or at least in America). In America, many restaurants will add a service charge of 15% for larger parties (8-10 people). This service charge is considered the tip, but if the service was exceptional, it is not uncommon for everyone to pitch in and give the service staff a little extra.

Living in the LOS, I often find myself tipping based on the quality of service and services rendered. If there is a service charge attached to the bill, I consider that to be the tip, because it is, but depending on the quality of service, I may give a little extra. It is unlikely that I will leave a tip for 1 or 2 beers, but if I am sharing a beer tower with a few friends and there is no service charge, then I feel that the beer hostess deserves a good tip, assuming that she is a good hostess. A good beer hostess never keeps you sitting with an empty glass. :o

Edited by mizzi39

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Penny for your thoughs. Orientals are welcome to post as well, if you are able. We European descent people understand your Oriental ways and that you are eating spicy peppers night and day and are often squatting on the Oriental toilets, so of course too busy and sticky to post.

To the OP (no pun to others)

In CA i tip $5 at most farang serving diner i ate in, in Europe i tip 5 - 8 Euros depending on my small change. Why i tip? Well it's a pitty sight to see europeans or in CA we orientals call it "white thrash" or in Thailand - Farang or Falang working their butt's off to serve an average oriental person like me. And of course i do everytime tip when i am in "Oreintaland", THB 60 - 100 as they say "up to you" when you are here in Thailand. FYI- in "Oreintaland", i don't collect change below THB 200 if the service and food is good, infact i would add if the change return are too small.

And before i forget - we humble orientals, understand you european ways of thinking that cleaning with toilet paper is sufficient enough and a skid is a norm even at adult age :D

My personal advice - stop whinning and being racist, if you have a problem with Orientaland, you are free to go back to farangland.

nuff said :o

Explorer

Tipping on the golf course is an issue for some (like me :o ). I'm enjoying myself, on a meager income, trying to live my dream playing golf in LOS, but I have to contend with tipping habits of "loaded" golfing holidaymakers raising expectations. I regularly see tips of 500 baht plus going to the caddies. And then there's tips at four stops at kiosks for water etc., the drink in the clubhouse before AND after the round, the guy minding the locker room.....

I've given up tipping driven by pier pressure and emotional defects pointed out by Jing, and now tip 5 baht here, 10 baht there plus the odd 20 for someone who's done something to earn it. The caddy gets (the club "minimum tip") 200 baht (on top of the 200 I pay at the begining of the round) plus a drink at a kiosk.

I guess someone is now going to brand me as a "Cheap Charlie" tell me I should give up my passion if I can't afford around 1000 baht a day in tips to match execs here on holiday :D .

On the tipping issue, I'll typically tip in the average range stateside (TX) and will usually just adjust it to local rates here (just like everything else): that is, not tipping for every single drink here... whereas I would in most bars in Texas. I'd go a little extra for any kind of out of the ordinary service anywhere.

That said, as for treatment of wage type workers: I also pay higher wages to employees stateside than I do to employees here, but wouldn't hesitate to ax employees stateside in an economic downturn. Here, we usually keep everyone on board.

It balances out.

:o

Edited by Heng

Penny for your thoughs. Orientals are welcome to post as well, if you are able. We European descent people understand your Oriental ways and that you are eating spicy peppers night and day and are often squatting on the Oriental toilets, so of course too busy and sticky to post.

To the OP (no pun to others)

In CA i tip $5 at most farang serving diner i ate in, in Europe i tip 5 - 8 Euros depending on my small change. Why i tip? Well it's a pitty sight to see europeans or in CA we orientals call it "white thrash" or in Thailand - Farang or Falang working their butt's off to serve an average oriental person like me. And of course i do everytime tip when i am in "Oreintaland", THB 60 - 100 as they say "up to you" when you are here in Thailand. FYI- in "Oreintaland", i don't collect change below THB 200 if the service and food is good, infact i would add if the change return are too small.

And before i forget - we humble orientals, understand you european ways of thinking that cleaning with toilet paper is sufficient enough and a skid is a norm even at adult age :D

My personal advice - stop whinning and being racist, if you have a problem with Orientaland, you are free to go back to farangland.

Explorer

Ignore the OP explorer. He never has anything nice to say about anything. I think that he would come off as a "bitchy queen" in America, or at least this is how he comes off here on TV :D

Edited by mizzi39

What I'm curious about is whether and how much to tip the food delivery people (McD's, KFC, BK, Pizza Company, Food By Phone, Chef XP, JJ's, Subway, Zanotti, etc). If there is a delivery charge of 20-80 bt, is it necessary to tip? When I don't tip these guys I feel like a cheap charlie, but when I do it seems unwarranted. I always get this queasy feeling when the delivery guy knocks.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

What I'm curious about is whether and how much to tip the food delivery people (McD's, KFC, BK, Pizza Company, Food By Phone, Chef XP, JJ's, Subway, Zanotti, etc). If there is a delivery charge of 20-80 bt, is it necessary to tip? When I don't tip these guys I feel like a cheap charlie, but when I do it seems unwarranted. I always get this queasy feeling when the delivery guy knocks.

I tip them about 40 Bt, just cos it wouldn't feel right not to, especially when it is raining

Explorer

8 euros tip at 10% means you just enjoyed a $120 lunch :D . Man, you're way out of my league.

Farangland can keep those fancy pretentious restaurants that want to charge for the chandeliers and the artificial ambience. Lunch for me in Thailand, with a beer and 10% tip comes to less than your 200 baht tip alone.

I tip them about 40 Bt, just cos it wouldn't feel right not to, especially when it is raining

I usually go with 20 bt. Sometimes, if I'm in a bad mood or if the driver is surly, I'll just give him whatever coins there are from the change. The raining point is good - I always tip 20-30 bt in this case.

I tip to put money into the pocket of those delivering. I appreciate good service (in this case delivery to my home, not to my table). And while they are already getting paid to deliver, as it's to me, it's personal. Also, I often get the same delivery people over and over again, so again, more personal.

McDonalds = 20 baht tip (yes, they have a delivery charge, but it's often raining...)

(Samurai Pork Burger meal = around 120 baht.)

Pizza = 40 baht tip (again, they have a delivery charge)

(Pizza, salad, glue, sometimes beer = around 700 baht)

Villa Market delivery = 100 baht tip (no delivery charge)

(Has nothing to do with how much I spend. It's all about the heavy stuff I don't have to lug upstairs - sacks of kitty litter, alcohol, a weeks worth of shopping)

On all of those, no matter what I order... McD's is always 20 baht. Pizza always 40. Groceries always 100.

If I get a grateful smile in return with maybe a wai, then it's an added plus for my day. If not, no biggie. It's more about me not getting out in the rain, or the traffic, or carrying heavy supplies. Without much of a wait.

I tip to put money into the pocket of those delivering. I appreciate good service (in this case delivery to my home, not to my table). And while they are already getting paid to deliver, as it's to me, it's personal. Also, I often get the same delivery people over and over again, so again, more personal.

McDonalds = 20 baht tip (yes, they have a delivery charge, but it's often raining...)

(Samurai Pork Burger meal = around 120 baht.)

Pizza = 40 baht tip (again, they have a delivery charge)

(Pizza, salad, glue, sometimes beer = around 700 baht)

Villa Market delivery = 100 baht tip (no delivery charge)

(Has nothing to do with how much I spend. It's all about the heavy stuff I don't have to lug upstairs - sacks of kitty litter, alcohol, a weeks worth of shopping)

On all of those, no matter what I order... McD's is always 20 baht. Pizza always 40. Groceries always 100.

If I get a grateful smile in return with maybe a wai, then it's an added plus for my day. If not, no biggie. It's more about me not getting out in the rain, or the traffic, or carrying heavy supplies. Without much of a wait.

Sounds like a good plan. I tip back in the old country too.

Have you had training in Professional Victimhood or are you just a gifted amateur?

i guess if I have to TELL you it is satire, then either

(1) it is lousy satire

(2) you are an idiot

I am serious about the tipping questions. I can't seem to shake my American conditioning to always have to tip the Orientals, even in places where it is not the custom to do so.

And for some reason so many on here complain about taxis and tuktuk over 30baht extra.. man im confused.

Just offer him an apple or something…

I find the whole reference to "Orientals in Orientalland" to be more than a bit offensive. There are what, about 15 different countries and maybe 50 different cultures in what some may consider to be "the Orient?"

There are different customs in each country and within various cultures in the country. If someone is traveling to or living there, then it would make sense to learn about them. For example, unless you are getting hammered at some anglo-bar in Roppongi or some other westernized establishment, it is considered offensive to tip in Japan and people will not accept it. In some cases, the wait staff will think you forgot it and will follow you out the restaurant to try to return it.

Since this is a Thai forum, I'll assume you are talking about Thailand. From where I've been, in little roadside cafes, hardly anyone tips. If anything, when the change is returned, the notes are kept and the coins are left.

If I am out at my favorite watering hole in Soi Cowboy, I won't tip. However, I will buy fruit, dinner and drinks for all of women I know who have been there for the years I've been going there. From my experiences, a good meal, some drinks and conversation are appreciated much more than a few baht in tip.

I find the whole reference to "Orientals in Orientalland" to be more than a bit offensive. There are what, about 15 different countries and maybe 50 different cultures in what some may consider to be "the Orient?"

There are different customs in each country and within various cultures in the country. If someone is traveling to or living there, then it would make sense to learn about them. For example, unless you are getting hammered at some anglo-bar in Roppongi or some other westernized establishment, it is considered offensive to tip in Japan and people will not accept it. In some cases, the wait staff will think you forgot it and will follow you out the restaurant to try to return it.

Since this is a Thai forum, I'll assume you are talking about Thailand. From where I've been, in little roadside cafes, hardly anyone tips. If anything, when the change is returned, the notes are kept and the coins are left.

If I am out at my favorite watering hole in Soi Cowboy, I won't tip. However, I will buy fruit, dinner and drinks for all of women I know who have been there for the years I've been going there. From my experiences, a good meal, some drinks and conversation are appreciated much more than a few baht in tip.

This is the whole point of the OP spee! I think He (she) is, trying to stir some shit with his references to "oriental" and "orientalland" because the term "farang" offends him so much. Many feel that 'farang' is an offensive term (I personally don't) and that all white foreigners are generalized by Thais regardless of cultural differences (which we are, but who really cares) :o

What annoys me about tipping:

when you pay the bill in the bar and the server brings back the change and the hovers over you waiting for the tip :o Usually then I don't leave a tip.

By the way I work in a bar and constantly tell the staff to move away one they have handed over the change "if s/he's going to leave a tip s/he will"

So how many countries in FARANGLAND then, mate? If Oriental is offensive, why don't you object to FARANG? Can't have it both ways!

The funniest part of this little ORIENTAL exercise is that I have been accused of RACISM for promoting it. By the very same people who assert that the way FARANG is used in Thailand is not RACIST. So which is it, then? You have to choose.

BTW, many ORIENTALS abroad STILL use the FARANG word even though they know very well what country they are in.

And also many ORIENTALS here will still call us FARANG even when they have learned our name and/or specific nationality. So this behavior is OK for the ORIENTAL but not OK for those of us of European extraction?

Why do you think that way? Do you have self hatred about your identity? You don't feel you are as good as or should have the same freedoms here as the Oriental locals do?

Edited by Jingthing

What annoys me about tipping:

when you pay the bill in the bar and the server brings back the change and the hovers over you waiting for the tip :o Usually then I don't leave a tip.

By the way I work in a bar and constantly tell the staff to move away one they have handed over the change "if s/he's going to leave a tip s/he will"

I was in MK one day and this chick brought me my change and before I had a chance to take it she picked it up and walked off with it, I was speechless, cheeky cow. I must admit to making them wait if they hover for a tip though, I find it rude.

It used to be 10%, but now it is as much as 15-20% of the total bill. In America, bartenders will ignore you if they consider you to be a "cheap Charlie", however if you are known to be a decent tipper, you will often get 5 star treatment upon your next visit (same with many restaurants).

Being a decent tipper in Thailand is a fraction of the tip you would leave in the west,

5% tip is enough for anyone, anywhere.

If I have to rely on "being a decent tipper" to simply achieve 'standard' service from a barman - I would go elsewhere.

It is irrelevant to compare the absolute amount of tip in the west and east. Leave 500 Baht tip in a Pattaya bar and it is probably equivalent to 3 days wages.

If you think that it makes you look like a big man to tip big or, your 'generosity' buys loyalty/better service - think again, you and they are only getting a short-term fix.

Tip a server 200 baht and you've just doubled their daily wage for them, on the spot! In UK/Europe, would you tip your server £40 / €60 ?

Tipping the delivery guy 100 baht is like giving them £20 / €25 . I guess people have their reasons to throw their money around, but building establishment's employee's expectations for questionably high tips to be the norm doesn't do any of us "mere mortals" living in LOS any favors.

Any one know if leaving a 20 baht tip results in a "loss of face"?

Rugs are Oriental.

People are Asian.

I am confused? Why do the Orientals call us farangs? Shouldn't we conform to their Oriental ways (we can never understand the Oriental mind, it has been said) and be polite, and call THEM as they call US? I think we should!

FARANG/ORIENTAL/SAME SAME/GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!

you are a sad little man. i doubt you would fit in wherever you chose to live.

on a side note, congratulations for finding a way to blend two of the most pathetic thai visa cliches into a single post.

you and your ilk are why i spend considerably less time reading this site

Tip a server 200 baht and you've just doubled their daily wage for them, on the spot! In UK/Europe, would you tip your server £40 / €60 ?

Tipping the delivery guy 100 baht is like giving them £20 / €25 . I guess people have their reasons to throw their money around, but building establishment's employee's expectations for questionably high tips to be the norm doesn't do any of us "mere mortals" living in LOS any favors.

on a 10 000 baht dinner bill it most certainly does.

have a tipped 100 dollars for a dinner at home yes indeed, on many occasions.

dont try to justify the fact you are a cheap bastard, just accept it or do something to change it.

on a 10 000 baht dinner bill it most certainly does.

have a tipped 100 dollars for a dinner at home yes indeed, on many occasions.

dont try to justify the fact you are a cheap bastard, just accept it or do something to change it.

I have never had a 10K baht dinner tab here.

But just out of curiosity, can you say what you would tip on a 10K tab? And what do you think the typical Oriental would tip on the same tab (if you are not Oriental)?

In the US, I would tip 1500 to 2000 baht. Here I would probably tip 1000 baht. But I think the typical Oriental would tip less unless they were making a big face show for some reason or another.

Edited by Jingthing

Surely it depends on how much the meal cost? If I pay 300 baht for lunch then a smaller tip is OK, when I spend 3000 on dinner it warrants a bigger tip.

Surely it depends on how much the meal cost? If I pay 300 baht for lunch then a smaller tip is OK, when I spend 3000 on dinner it warrants a bigger tip.

That is way Americans think about tips, but I have heard many times Orientals here think differently about it.