Why Do Many Of Us Tip More Than The Orientals In Orientalland?

Jingthing

Tip a server 200 baht and you've just doubled their daily wage for them, on the spot! In UK/Europe, would you tip your server £40 / €60 ?

Tipping the delivery guy 100 baht is like giving them £20 / €25 . I guess people have their reasons to throw their money around, but building establishment's employee's expectations for questionably high tips to be the norm doesn't do any of us "mere mortals" living in LOS any favors.

Any one know if leaving a 20 baht tip results in a "loss of face"?

Surely it depends on how much the meal cost? If I pay 300 baht for lunch then a smaller tip is OK, when I spend 3000 on dinner it warrants a bigger tip.

Obviously to a point I'll agree with you on that one. But the tip is for good service. What has the price of the food and wine got to do with what you think the service is worth?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip a server 200 baht and you've just doubled their daily wage for them, on the spot! In UK/Europe, would you tip your server £40 / €60 ?

Tipping the delivery guy 100 baht is like giving them £20 / €25 . I guess people have their reasons to throw their money around, but building establishment's employee's expectations for questionably high tips to be the norm doesn't do any of us "mere mortals" living in LOS any favors.

Surely it depends on how much the meal cost? If I pay 300 baht for lunch then a smaller tip is OK, when I spend 3000 on dinner it warrants a bigger tip.

Obviously to a point I'll agree with you on that one. But the tip is for good service. What has the price of the food and wine got to do with what you think the service is worth?

It's not the amount, the fact that you tip is thanks for the service, it would be too much for me to pay 100Bt tip on a 300 Bt meal.

Reply in red:

on a 10 000 baht dinner bill it most certainly does. And what if the service is crap?

have a tipped 100 dollars for a dinner at home yes indeed, on many occasions. Is that to compensate for having an extremely small member t.s?

dont try to justify the fact you are a cheap bastard, just accept it or do something to change it. I know who my father is, thank you very much t.s. Why do people with way too much money feel they can go around calling people with less "cheap bastards"? So uneducated.

It's not the amount, the fact that you tip is thanks for the service, it would be too much for me to pay 100Bt tip on a 300 Bt meal.

I once tipped 1,000 Bt after a 1,000 Bt meal. dam_n those 100's and 1000's & 10w light bulbs :o

I only tip if i like the waiter/waitress,or if they had made a big effort,even if that meant that they were largely faking that they gave a sh!t,they have to earn it otherwise i could be encouraging cr*p service.

Lets face it though alot of people think that money=importance,& goodness=irrelevant,so flashing money around does impress alot of people.Thats why alot of thais respect the americans so much,because money equals power.

I would say that alot of farang leave a large tip to give themselves abit of an ego boost,sort of like "this really means nothing to me,but maybe alot to you.........& maybe we can meet up after hours". :o Then there are others who are embarassed at leaving anything,& would rather leave the money there after the waiter/waitress has left the table.

Also due to instances of overcharging it could be said that you are tipping some of the time in certain parts of asia anyway so why worry.

Why do people with way too much money...

Off topic, but I just have to ask...

What sum is too much money?

How much you make?

How much a delivery boy makes?

What? What is the magic sum?

I've had money. Sure. But never in my life have I had too much money...

I find the whole reference to "Orientals in Orientalland" to be more than a bit offensive. There are what, about 15 different countries and maybe 50 different cultures in what some may consider to be "the Orient?"

So how many countries in FARANGLAND then, mate? If Oriental is offensive, why don't you object to FARANG? Can't have it both ways!

I'm not sure why you are intent on painting this as an either/or issue.

Thai people use the word farang as part of common everyday language. My Thai-English dictionary tells me that the word farang means "caucasian." The fact that some Thai people may use the word as part of some derogatory statement is somewhat irrelevant. I suspect that most Thai people use the word in the defined context. This is certainly the case with Thai people I've been associated with.

No dictionary or thesaurus that I know of discusses use of the word "Oriental" to describe Thai people, or any other nationalities and cultures in the region. Your thread could just as easily have been titled:

"Why do many of us tip more than the Thai people in Thailand."

Yet you chose to refer to Thai people as "Orientals" and Thailand as "Orientalland." Not only is the reference in poor taste, in hindsight it is also a bit bizarre (as is the confrontational and argumentative nature or your responses).

Why do people with way too much money...

Off topic, but I just have to ask...

What sum is too much money?

How much you make?

How much a delivery boy makes?

What? What is the magic sum?

I've had money. Sure. But never in my life have I had too much money...

Having "too much money" it seems is the point at which you feel the justification to call someone a "cheap bastard" for not tipping to your self-set standard. It has nothing to do with the finite amount but there may be a link between arrogance and wealth :o .

Having "too much money" it seems is the point at which you feel the justification to call someone a "cheap bastard" for not tipping to your self-set standard. It has nothing to do with the finite amount but there may be a link between arrogance and wealth :o .

If you actually bothered to read back through the posts, you'll find that I never called you a cheap bastard. Actually, I never referred to you at all except to ask that one question.

While from your end, apparently I'm arrogant and ts has a little weenie?

And what about these comments?...

I once tipped 1,000 Bt after a 1,000 Bt meal. dam_n those 100's and 1000's & 10w light bulbs

So you attempted to give 100 baht tip for a 1,000 baht meal, but somehow tipping 100 baht for a heavy 4-6,000 baht grocery delivery is somehow... wrong?

I guess people have their reasons to throw their money around, but building establishment's employee's expectations for questionably high tips to be the norm doesn't do any of us "mere mortals" living in LOS any favors

Do the maths... If I took a taxi home with my groceries, it'd be 20 baht tip to the guy flagging down a taxi then putting the groceries into the trunk, then 40 baht for the taxi ride home. And then I'd have to take all the heavy groceries upstairs on my own. That's 60 baht in total. So sure, I'll tip 100 baht for someone (half the time it's two people) to lug my groceries out to vehicle, drive to my house, get the groceries out of the vehicle, then haul all upstairs and inside.

If you actually bothered to read back through the posts, you'll find that I never called you a cheap bastard. Actually, I never referred to you at all except to ask that one question.

While from your end, apparently I'm arrogant and ts has a little weenie?

Hey Desi, NO remarks were directed at you, sorry if the post made it look that way. I was just taking the opportunity while replying to you to attempt a childish dig back at t.s using his immature and arrogant "bastard" comment to illustrate a point. Check back a few posts and you'll see why the need to vent my spleen.

I once tipped 1,000 Bt after a 1,000 Bt meal. dam_n those 100's and 1000's & 10w light bulbs

So you attempted to give 100 baht tip for a 1,000 baht meal, but somehow tipping 100 baht for a heavy 4-6,000 baht grocery delivery is somehow... wrong?

Generous maybe, but not "wrong", no. I too am sometimes "guilty" of the "very appreciative" tip, - normally when I'm out with the girlfriend. When she's controlling the reward for service, she gets very sympathetic with the plight of the downtrodden multitude, and so do I after a few Changs :o . Hard labour and stairs deserves a tip above the poverty line. But flicking the top off a beer in a bar and then handing over the bill is another thing....