Ayara Roofing Tile

Beardog

Hi I am getting ready to draw plans for my house & looked at an awesome roof tile setup. Araya tiles are very light so I think it requires less support than cement or adobe- clay tiles. I was quoted in Pattaya at home mart a basic 600 baht sq.meter installed.

Does anyone have more info on this style product. I found a topic similar where Crossy was talking to Missmiggins & was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the product. I have seen it in The U.S. but never got to install it, just asphalt shingles & cedar roofing shakes. I know the roof is best of class & cost more- but was told it is a similar price as they use different materials (lighter gauge) as the roof is much lighter.

Anyone have any experiences & prices & or where they got the roofing tile supplies from? I live in Bang Sare _Pattaya Sattahib area. I know of one other buider(roof team that is doing an awesome job on a custom house in the area- The welding is great tight beads & good penetration into the steel & they look pro!) I want to find out more before i inquire to be sure to ask the right questions as my girl has gotten quite good in construction & conveying in Thai what I want{ as long as I am clear & makes sure she understands what to ask} Any input would be great so I can start designing the roof for the house. :o

Here is a pic of the type I want to use. "Edit "sorry about the pictures quality when it is enlarged. I scanned it from the catalog.

Thanks Beardog

post-32440-1220111048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beardog

I had the Ayara people down when I was ready for the roof, the tiles are really crisp and look great when finished.

The downsides seems to be are that you have to use their entire system and the total cost is about four time greater than a C Pack system once you add in their corners, ridge tiles,end tiles and tile support rails. I still have the comparitive quotes somewhere.

The other problem is they are so slick no one wants to work on them for fear of falling/sliding off.

It is also very difficult to get the valleys right because of the large tiles and unusual shape, not everyone can work with these tiles. I also suspect but don't know for sure that the thermal value is not as great as C Pack because the tiles are so thin.

From what I discovered and what has been posted here people either use the Ayara contractor if they want it right or ditch the idea and use C Pack which everyone can install.

I should still have all the details and samples somewhere if you want them.

Go see Bo at Ban Ampur Trading (Home Mart) on sukhumvit just opposite and past the Ambassador she will arrange for comparitive quotes for you and get the Ayara rep to call you. Tell her I sent ya!

We also looked at them, the upside is that they come with a very detailed installation booklet with clear illustrations as well as written instructions. The reps are very keen to sell and when we called the company for info the staff were very well informed and able to answer my partner's questions. Like Rimmer ultimately we liked them a lot but they were expensive for our little holiday home and it seemed finding someone in our rural area to fit them properly would have been difficult.

Hi I am getting ready to draw plans for my house & looked at an awesome roof tile setup. Araya tiles are very light so I think it requires less support than cement or adobe- clay tiles. I was quoted in Pattaya at home mart a basic 600 baht sq.meter installed.

Does anyone have more info on this style product. I found a topic similar where Crossy was talking to Missmiggins & was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the product. I have seen it in The U.S. but never got to install it, just asphalt shingles & cedar roofing shakes. I know the roof is best of class & cost more- but was told it is a similar price as they use different materials (lighter gauge) as the roof is much lighter.

Anyone have any experiences & prices & or where they got the roofing tile supplies from? I live in Bang Sare _Pattaya Sattahib area. I know of one other buider(roof team that is doing an awesome job on a custom house in the area- The welding is great tight beads & good penetration into the steel & they look pro!) I want to find out more before i inquire to be sure to ask the right questions as my girl has gotten quite good in construction & conveying in Thai what I want{ as long as I am clear & makes sure she understands what to ask} Any input would be great so I can start designing the roof for the house. :o

Here is a pic of the type I want to use. "Edit "sorry about the pictures quality when it is enlarged. I scanned it from the catalog.

Thanks Beardog

Beardog,

I sent you a PM regarding this -the roof is expensive, but doesn't blow off in a wind and yes it looks nice too! Just make sure you get someone with an ounce of skill to fit it otherwise you will be in tears!

They have a factory in Lampang, you can get all you need there!

I think I mentioned in a previous thread about buying the "touch up paint" ...make sure you buy the reccomended acrylic, not the TOA shit, otherwise you will be touching up those areas every year!

• 5 months later...

Beardog,

I sent you a PM regarding this -the roof is expensive, but doesn't blow off in a wind and yes it looks nice too! Just make sure you get someone with an ounce of skill to fit it otherwise you will be in tears!

They have a factory in Lampang, you can get all you need there!

I think I mentioned in a previous thread about buying the "touch up paint" ...make sure you buy the reccomended acrylic, not the TOA shit, otherwise you will be touching up those areas every year!

Hi BearDog

Can you let me knw if this tile contains asbestos , Maybe a stupid question but just to check

Nirvana

One of the luxury homes in Bang Sare area had 2 roofs made with the roofing. After they got done(not really) they could not tie the ends together. The pitch was built at 30 degrees. I think the owner came to inspect the site (from England) To find the team bumbling & stumbling on finishing the job.The house was leaking like a sieve. The owner had the contractor take off the complete roof & redo the pitch to an aggressive 45 degree pitch. I am not sure if it was his architect or the contractor that screwed the pooch on this plan. They were able to use I guess most of the tile. As another poster put down it is possible to have problems with this tile (unlike conventional c-pac monier tile) The cost is every bit of 300% more & actually requires more steel than less to install Or the same amount . I had a very hard time getting a straight answer from 2 companies that install. One said less steel & the other said more.

I decided with the lack of knowledgeable people in this type of roofing + cost That I will be using the status quo C-Pac monier. Everyone has it & most tile workers can tell you exactly the figures of how much of every ingredient is needed to build a roof.

That way if there is ever a problem when Somai or Somchai comes out to repair the roof in time ... it will be easier than with Ayara roofing. I also designed the roof to only have one valley trough on the whole roof(usually the area that a blockup would occur & leaks will start. Jo Jo Thai has helped me on how to install the valley trough as well. Making sure the trough is not screw gunned into the battens to hold them in place , but held in by clips (reversed to hold the trough in place & then THE CLIP is screws into the batten to insure the roof will not leak due to holes in the valley trough. From what I understand it is a very common practice by home mart & most other companies to install this way. Probably due to the fact you have to take the clip & reverse the way it holds the tile down- if they made the clip the right direction it would probably force the installers to not put holes in a critical area & not leak. And I will be on the roof installing the trough to make sure it is done properly- along with the foil to get it put on right- so when the workers trample the foil area it does not get torn to shreds rendering the foil useless in the torn spots.

I am pretty sure the way the roofing tiles look with Ayara roofing tiles - they contain some amount of asbestos.

Barry

One of the luxury homes in Bang Sare area had 2 roofs made with the roofing. After they got done(not really) they could not tie the ends together. The pitch was built at 30 degrees. I think the owner came to inspect the site (from England) To find the team bumbling & stumbling on finishing the job.The house was leaking like a sieve. The owner had the contractor take off the complete roof & redo the pitch to an aggressive 45 degree pitch. I am not sure if it was his architect or the contractor that screwed the pooch on this plan. They were able to use I guess most of the tile. As another poster put down it is possible to have problems with this tile (unlike conventional c-pac monier tile) The cost is every bit of 300% more & actually requires more steel than less to install Or the same amount . I had a very hard time getting a straight answer from 2 companies that install. One said less steel & the other said more.

I decided with the lack of knowledgeable people in this type of roofing + cost That I will be using the status quo C-Pac monier. Everyone has it & most tile workers can tell you exactly the figures of how much of every ingredient is needed to build a roof.

That way if there is ever a problem when Somai or Somchai comes out to repair the roof in time ... it will be easier than with Ayara roofing. I also designed the roof to only have one valley trough on the whole roof(usually the area that a blockup would occur & leaks will start. Jo Jo Thai has helped me on how to install the valley trough as well. Making sure the trough is not screw gunned into the battens to hold them in place , but held in by clips (reversed to hold the trough in place & then THE CLIP is screws into the batten to insure the roof will not leak due to holes in the valley trough. From what I understand it is a very common practice by home mart & most other companies to install this way. Probably due to the fact you have to take the clip & reverse the way it holds the tile down- if they made the clip the right direction it would probably force the installers to not put holes in a critical area & not leak. And I will be on the roof installing the trough to make sure it is done properly- along with the foil to get it put on right- so when the workers trample the foil area it does not get torn to shreds rendering the foil useless in the torn spots.

I am pretty sure the way the roofing tiles look with Ayara roofing tiles - they contain some amount of asbestos.

Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks for the info, I may be asking as they say after the horse has bolted the stable as just had one put on a new house.

Can send some pics if interested.

As for the Asbestos i guess i am stuck with it ..

Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks for the info, I may be asking as they say after the horse has bolted the stable as just had one put on a new house.

Can send some pics if interested.

As for the Asbestos i guess i am stuck with it ..

I wouldn't worry to much about the asbestos used in tiling materials with the roof. the hazard with asbestos is in the cutting of the panels & airborne particles, unlike asbestos used in the interior in the asbestos abatement programs to remove hazardous asbestos in the past.

You're more likely to die from a coronary from watching some of the unethical ways they build houses in LOS!

I hope your roof is good for you!

• 1 year later...