Phuket, Krabi Airports Still Shut

george

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to get from HKT to BKK to catch an international flight I would still plan on taking the bus for the next few days. It will take quite a few days for PG, FD, TG to get back up to speed what with coordinating flight crews and equipment rotations. Also there are a lot of passengers queued up for flights, so it might take two or three days to get back to normal?

I assume they'll try the same thing next Friday - Sunday unless the political situation changes drastically or PAD modifies their disruption strategies.

the airport is open say hi to simon whom is in there .its choas but you will fly unless the mob sober up .

For those who want to see Simon and some tourists at Simon's hotel in interviews on television, we plan to show this morning on Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps relays/repeats on local Cable TV channel 1, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Monday 1 September 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

We also have news on the latest situation at the airports, plus other news as usual...

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

Obviously the situation needs to be monitored day by day.. But at the moment things are getting back to normal with air travel, that could all change if the BKK situation degrades but reading it now I would say your looking ok.

wow thanks for your reply , i tot i am being ignored here . Its my gf's first trip to overseas and we are seriously upset with the protest . I hope tat i am not playin with fire by going to phuket ... and btw , my destination is krabi , is tat place affected as well ?

MiniVDO: Interview Simon, Owner PhuketAirport Hotel & 2 Australian guests during protest blockade

is now on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=583

or

We spoke on Saturday afternoon to Simon, a foreign Tourist Police volunteer who is also the Phuket Hotel Airport Manager, who helped since the beginning of the protest. Let's hear what his experience was: ........... We also talked to 2 Australian tourists who got stuck at the airport and stayed at Simon's hotel on Saturday. They said they were heading for a family function in the Philippines and hoped that the airport re-opened in time, as they told us more: ----- Contact: [email protected]

--------------

MiniVDO: Phuket International Airport's flights finally restarted yesterday after it was shut down for 2 days due to PAD protests.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=584

or

(includes footage of first blockades & reopening of gates)

The Thai Airways International Flight TG 213 touched down at Phuket International Airport at 3.47 pm yesterday bringing relief for officials and local tourism sectors, but more importantly tourists & passengers who got delayed by the protest which started on Friday afternoon. It was approximately 47 hours before the flights were allowed to take off and land at the airport after the facility was forced to shut down since 4.45 pm on Friday August 29th . The flight carried about 330 passengers, including Phuket Governor Niran Galanamitr who had gone to Bangkok to attend and receives flags under the national activities called "116 Days from Mother's Day to Father's Day" and got stuck there.

Less than an hour later, the Thai Airways flight TG 214 took off for Bangkok's Suwannaphum airport with a full load of passengers, showing a sign of normal flights restarting as scheduled at the airport.

The PAD had announced that they stopped their protest at Phuket Airport at 3.30pm on Sunday. After the statement they helped open the gate of the airport. The statement however insisted that their members would return if the government applied violence. The members said they will travel to Bangkok to support others in pressurizing the Prime Minister to resign.

Meanwhile, a Phuket International Airport press release reported that since the closure of 29 August, until 11am today 31 August, a total of 181 flights from 11 airlines and about 30,000 passengers had been delayed. Among these, 13,000 were out-going, with 17,000 in-coming. Around 137 tonnes of cargo goods could not be transported. Thai Airways International was most affected as it had 21 flights per day. The Phuket Tourist Association president Somboon Jirayus estimated the damage caused at up to approx. 250 million baht per day with ongoing effects, as safety is a sensitive issue for travelers.

The PAD members gathered in front of Phuket International Airport at around 2pm on Friday 29th August, demanding that the Prime Minister resign and the violence was used. The protest ended yesterday afternoon.

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps relays/repeats on local Cable TV channel 1, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Monday 1 September 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ Send comments to [email protected]

i and my gf will be heading over to krabi on the 6TH this month , do u think its still advisable to go there ?

songofsonaca, i would do as LivinLOS advises and monitor it on a daily basis. having said that, i do not believe that tourists are in any physical danger. once you are on phuket, you should be fine.

i and my gf will be heading over to krabi on the 6TH this month , do u think its still advisable to go there ?

I will stick my neck out even further than the 2 other experienced and esteemed posters and say that the only problems you are likely to experience here A. Too much Rain (It is the rainy season you understand) B. you'll probaly suffer from at least 1 mild case of 'Delhi Belly" (If you haven't been up this neck of the woods") and C. You'll probably pay too much forTaxis,T'shirts and tours, (statistically all the odds are with me)

..but on a more serious note I think it's safe to say that all the locals are very friendly, are appreciative of your custom and want you to come again.

All with the proviso when travelling to any country, respect the local laws & customs, don't get into any confrontational situations, stay away from dark Sois late at night etc (A quick read of any reputable travel guide will fill in the rest.)

Cheers & Enjoy your holiday (I like the lifestyle so much I stayed) :o

L.K.

this is terrible news. i havent seen the pictures yet, but i would not be prepared to lose my life for a political party. not ever.

having said that, westerners are safe as long as they dont get involved in these protests. go about your daily lives and stay out of it and i would say you would be safe.

I've been watching some of the live video on Thai TV this morning. It's frightening to watch this mob running about with big sticks and crash helmets on. These are very angry people. Have to say that the pro-PM mob are tough looking thugs causing trouble, whereas the anti-PM mob have seemed quite peaceful, lots of women, just sitting in a peaceful protest.

My wife's view is that the troublemakers want to start violence, thus giving the PM a reason to call in the army to clear out the PAD protesters.

The comedy gold is the PAD claiming the 2 day airport closure was the work of non PAD people now.. I guess they realized that they messed up and pissed of some powerful island biz owners and want to pretend it wasnt them.

Of course now we have the issue where the conditions for PAD to reclose the airport (bangkok violence) have been reached, so will the PAD close the airport again, or how about the 'pretend PAD' ??

My brother has flights for sat booked.. Tense to say the least.

I flew into Phuket airport last night arriving at 5:50pm no sign of any protestros or trouble, got a taxi straight away. I flew in from Samui where i was actually stranded for a few days because they locked down the ferry peir and cancelled a majority of flights, and no taxies where running around the island.

this is terrible news. i havent seen the pictures yet, but i would not be prepared to lose my life for a political party. not ever.

having said that, westerners are safe as long as they dont get involved in these protests. go about your daily lives and stay out of it and i would say you would be safe.

It's not for a 'political party'. It's for taking a stand on the direction in which you wish your country to be headed.

It's not for a 'political party'. It's for taking a stand on the direction in which you wish your country to be headed.

And thats done by removing the elected leader ???

And please dont start all that brainwashed bull about 'buying' the elections.. whose 'buying' thier rally supporters ?? They all pay for votes, only this time the elite crowd were too mean and forgot that the rural lot actually want a bit more than some free rice bowls and a concert.

What is the most comical is the deafening silence from PAD about what it is they want AFTER thier goals of getting rid of Samak and the PPP are ?? Nothing ?!?! Totall idealogical bankruptcy !!

Update:

No Phuket airport blockade, says PAD;

tourism suffers as tourists cancel trips

PHUKET: -- Supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in Thailand's southern resort island of Phuket vowed to continue their protests despite the announcement of a state of emergency, but would not block the island's international airport.

Natcharong Eakpeumsap, head of the PAD support group in Phuket, said the anti-government protest supporters on the island would not block the airport as airline service was the only and the fastest mean of transportation which could take them to join the PAD protests at the Government House compound and at Makkawan Rangsan Bridge in Bangkok.

The Phuket PAD leader said the airport blockade would have a greater impact on international tourists rather than local travelers. The PAD would instead demonstrate at the city's Sapanhin Park.

Meanwhile, Apichart Sangaree, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents or ATTA, said the political turmoil had threatens to damage the country's tourism industry.

The ATTA president admitted the current situation had impacts on travel agents as September was the high season of Australian and Asian travelers.

Mr. Apichart also expressed concern that if the turmoil does not end soon, the tourism industry would suffer, as from October onwards is the 'high season' period when a million European travelers usually travel to the kingdom.

The ATTA president added that the association must evaluate the situation daily and hoped the government would not declare a curfew as this would frighten the tourists.

-- TNA 2008-09-02

and who do you expect to lead the country in this new direction, tamsin? khun daeng and her husband khun wit from the noodle shop down the road?

of course its political.

and who do you expect to lead the country in this new direction, tamsin? khun daeng and her husband khun wit from the noodle shop down the road?

of course its political.

and what's even crazier is that you think things are going to change?

You don't think Thai Rak Thai-PPP will again rearrange into another party and be back in place again in six months?

Where will this latest stuff lead? Ever seen a dog chase it's tail? That's what we've got here.

to be honest huggy, i dont see the country changing at all, no matter who ends up as the 'winner' in this current turmoil. the country has been chasing its tail for years now, and i dont see it changing in this generation.

PHUKET CITY: People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters began gathering at Phuket Provincial Hall (Sala Klaang) at 8 am this morning, their numbers increasing all morning to reach about 500 by 11:30 am.

The protesters, taking cover from the sun under six tents, plan to board five tour buses to Bangkok to join fellow PAD protesters in the capital.

The coaches are expected to depart this afternoon.

The Phuket PAD travel plans come despite Bangkok being declared under a state of emergency following a clash between pro- and anti-government supporters there early this morning, at about 1:30 am.

Under the emergency decree, which applied only to the capital, gatherings of more than five people are prohibited.

Officials at Phuket Provincial Hall provided the PAD with electricity for their public address system, Gazette reporters at the scene noted.

Some 200 PAD protesters at Phuket International Airport have also been asked by the local PAD leaders to come and join the group at Provincial Hall, where they plan to present Governor Niran Kalyanamit or one of his deputies with an official letter explaining why Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej must resign.

Also at Sala Klaang this morning, Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit held his weekly security meeting with Phuket Provincial Police Commander Apirak Hongtong and other officials.

However, by noon there was still no report that the Governor had met with the PAD protesters.

Employees of state enterprises and teachers are also joining the protest.