100 Things You Didn't Know About Expats

qwertz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's bounce the ball back shall we.

What does OP thinks/believes to be the downsides of living in Thailand?

Having lived here for nearly 20 years now, I would be lying to say there are none, but I have yet to find a country where there are no downsides, and I believe that these are not the same for everyone.

I'm happy here, more than I was in my home country and that's enough for me.

cheers

onzestan

Many settle, just as many become disenchanted.

What makes them keep coming, despite the hurdles?

As for the second question regarding breaking new ground in neighbouring countries I think, with certain exceptions, it is the lack of a comfortable supporting infrastructure that keeps most focussed on Thailand. Let's face it, most people like to have others of their own nationality and background at least in the vicinity so they have a source of information to fall back on when problems arise. Yes there are those that boldly go where none have gone before but they are in the minority. The other major draw is the relatively well developed infrastructure of Thailand compared with other developing nations in the region, healthcare being top of the list.

I think this about sums it up. I lived in Singapore for 10 years, but it's expensive now and I'd need to work for another 5 years to be able to afford even a half decent life. I spend most my time in Phuket and it's really only half Thai because of all the Western influence and infrastructure around.

Actually, we're beginning to enjoy ourselves more in Issan these days because it's still comfortable for a Westerner to live...but less Western!

I'm one of those that bailed out of his home country due to a combination of factors but over 25 years of working, had accumulated enough cash to ensure a comfortable, if moderate lifestyle here. As I always say to people who ask, compared to the UK, although my salary is way lower (I work part-time) my quality of life is way higher. Having had the fortune through work to have lived in a few other non-English speaking countries I also concur with Geriatrickid about the bubble effect - if it doesn't directly affect me, then I am not too bothered. That may come across as a bit "head in the sand" and I do take an interest in Thai current affairs but you won't find me posting on subjects I don't fully comprehend or wish to understand :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Nignoy speaks for me.

I've lived and worked in Germany as a freelance translator and interpreter for some 18 years now and the work finds me.

I repeat, there is no hassle for a Brit who want to work here, has skills to offer and paays the dues.

I note that several posters voice the the same thoughts as mine - why do so many expats hang on in Thailand when they find

it's not the paradise they expected?

Hi :o

Now i hate to speak exactly like the people who were one of the reasons for ME (German!) to LEAVE Germany - but truth can be told. Indeed, it does not seem to be a big problem for a FOREIGNER to find a job in Germany. But try it again if you're a GERMAN.

Sounds weird? It is, gentlemen, and i've been there and done that. As you probably know, Germany has this "practical education system" where you start learning a trade (profession) right after secondary school, i.e. very few people attend university (only few professions require it). Germans are proud of this system for it yields skilled professionals in every trade.

For ME right after the education was finished and i had my diploma, able to call myself a "fully qualified professional" in that trade (electrician), i was out of work - and should stay out of work for THREE AND A HALF YEARS to come! Because just nobody hired electricians! And the downside of that system is that if you're an electrician, you can't just go and work something else - other than extremely low paid jobs that are otherwise done by uneducated people.

How did i manage to get employed again? Don't laugh - i started a SECOND "practical education", this time to become a motor mechanic. So now i have two diplomas. And now i live in Thailand :D Here, they require university degrees for every fart you let rip, so naturally most Germans can't legally fart in this country - still i love it here and won't go back.

Best regards.....

Thanh

For those without the above financial reasons for coming to Thailand, many like myself have gotten sick of it really fast, even though I thought it would be sublime to live here when I first came.

There are a lot dull farangs out there that seem to be constantly suprised and enchanted by Thailand even though they've been here 20 years or something. I've found the country to be really monotonous and predictable after a year, and now it's just a hot, smelly place with self-absorbed people. I fear that in earlier times, I would have been a benevolent colonist rather than a siamophile...

This begs the question, why are you still here (if indeed you are)?

And, if your not here, why do you still bother to post on a thai forum when u hate the place so much...

After 3 extended vacations ( 6months each) over the last 3 years. I have decided to leave my wonderful home country, and relocate to the LOS, next year One more winter to go....

My reasons for wanting to move are mostly selfish ones.

Fed up of paying 35%- 40 % tax

Being able to afford a house (would need $500,000 + with the market the way it is in Canada)

Wanting to live in a land that dos not have 301 different words for Snow.

Frustrated at a government that wants to passive-aggressively control every aspect of my life...

I love the food

And lets face, it you never want for female attention.

Uh No one mentions and I'm assuming from the attacks whenever feminist ideals pop up side that most of the members of Thai Visa are boys, (and highly chauvanistic boys, ) but as of yet on this thread no one acknowledges that just perhaps the reason they stay on - despite the pitfalls is because of ...

Thai women.

C'mon boys, admit it .

Totally trained to serve, cook ,clean bear children , AND can hold property and business registrations

The totally aquiescent, smiling Thai Woman.

I wish I had one.

Uh No one mentions and I'm assuming from the attacks whenever feminist ideals pop up side that most of the members of Thai Visa are boys, (and highly chauvanistic boys, ) but as of yet on this thread no one acknowledges that just perhaps the reason they stay on - despite the pitfalls is because of ...

Thai women.

C'mon boys, admit it .

Totally trained to serve, cook ,clean bear children , AND can hold property and business registrations

I wish I had one.

One cannot deny that very thing is one of the strong attractions.

For those without the above financial reasons for coming to Thailand, many like myself have gotten sick of it really fast, even though I thought it would be sublime to live here when I first came.

There are a lot dull farangs out there that seem to be constantly suprised and enchanted by Thailand even though they've been here 20 years or something. I've found the country to be really monotonous and predictable after a year, and now it's just a hot, smelly place with self-absorbed people. I fear that in earlier times, I would have been a benevolent colonist rather than a siamophile...

Actually more people should have this feeling and go back home to US or Europe, as we are enough white faces here already !

And to the next ones coming here, I also hope that they won't like it, as the weather is too hot, the local too stupid, the food too spicy, etc....

THere are many great places in the world, and all offer their own charms. I am American, and I love the US for many reasons ranging from the food, the channels on television, the people, the scenic beauty, and so on.

LOL - I am loving the fact that food and TV take primary positions on the list of attributes for that fine country :o

I can say the same for Thai food here, but sadly not Thai Telly...I came here 5 years ago without a job, put some hard work and effort in and luckily found one with a decent expat package. I've not looked back since and frankly never intend to go back to the UK.

Life is never a 100% bed of roses wherever you are, but the bed I've made here is a lot more comfortable than the one I'd be lying in if I were back in the UK

(and yes my Thai wife is a godsend)

many come to fulfill their secret wishes and fantasies

many come to escape their past lives and even debts,

many come out of love and respect for their thai partners

many burn their bridges and are scared of the ridicule in returning to their home countries,

but I think no one could settle in thailand without the financial security and pensions they have accumulated in their working lives, in those home countries,

....not everyone, but probably most..

I think most farang come to Thailand to <deleted>. That may be what some call "secret fantasies" ;-) The remaining lot comes because of the weather and cost of living being relatively low.

For those who eventually settle here life is not easy as imigration is never easy in any given country. There is a culture shock most evident 6 months to a year after settling in. Some cannot cope and go back. Some stay mostly because they invested good money here and it's not easy to get them back. Some are very adaptable and always look at the bright side of life so it is easier to get over the pitfalls of LOS and continue. As someone said here, it all depends on ones' altitude to life and ability to enjoy .. anywhere. But a lot of others are suffering which comes across to me through even discussions like this. In my opinion LOS is a particulary xsenophobic place where although a lot of people are very nice also have great distance to travel before they realise their wrong altitudes to foreigners. That of course goes for the governmets here as well as they try to please local believes.

As for other countries in the region I think Malaysia is looking increasingly attractive. I've lived in Singapore before and although I enjoyed that and didn't experience any bad treatment or discrimination from local people or authorities ( wow .. comparing with LOS) I found the place a bit small and preassurised. To be able to enjoy a good living standard one needs to be making tons of money there. Across the border in Malaysia however there is so much more space that allows for better quality of life. People are friendly, many are English educated and if not still speak much better English than in LOS, roads and infrastructure are good, food is diverse and mostly good, houses are affordable and the authorities are making it very foreign-settlement friendly by offering Malaysia my Second Home program which entitles to 10 year visas, shipment of duty free car and belongings and real estate ownership under ones name (dream-on for LOS). But of course for some the lack of bars and working ladies at every street corner may put Malaysia out of the picture. For me, if I wasn't financially and business-wise tied down in LOS I would probably give Malaysia a shot. Has anybody got anything bad or good to comment about Malaysia?

but I think no one could settle in thailand without the financial security and pensions they have accumulated in their working lives, in those home countries,

What has money from the country got to do with it. My salary in Thailand is over 100,000 baht /month. Its enough to live a simple but comfortable life here. Many expats of course are on much better packages.

a lot when you are retired like Nignoy and me. my uneducated guess is that most farangs who have to make a living by working in Thailand have not come on a "package" and do not earn 100k Baht a month. ask the average farang teacher how much he makes and on what "package" he is.

I think most farang come to Thailand to <deleted>. That may be what some call "secret fantasies" ;-) The remaining lot comes because of the weather and cost of living being relatively low.

For those who eventually settle here life is not easy as imigration is never easy in any given country. There is a culture shock most evident 6 months to a year after settling in. Some cannot cope and go back. Some stay mostly because they invested good money here and it's not easy to get them back. Some are very adaptable and always look at the bright side of life so it is easier to get over the pitfalls of LOS and continue. As someone said here, it all depends on ones' altitude to life and ability to enjoy .. anywhere. But a lot of others are suffering which comes across to me through even discussions like this. In my opinion LOS is a particulary xsenophobic place where although a lot of people are very nice also have great distance to travel before they realise their wrong altitudes to foreigners. That of course goes for the governmets here as well as they try to please local believes.

As for other countries in the region I think Malaysia is looking increasingly attractive. I've lived in Singapore before and although I enjoyed that and didn't experience any bad treatment or discrimination from local people or authorities ( wow .. comparing with LOS) I found the place a bit small and preassurised. To be able to enjoy a good living standard one needs to be making tons of money there. Across the border in Malaysia however there is so much more space that allows for better quality of life. People are friendly, many are English educated and if not still speak much better English than in LOS, roads and infrastructure are good, food is diverse and mostly good, houses are affordable and the authorities are making it very foreign-settlement friendly by offering Malaysia my Second Home program which entitles to 10 year visas, shipment of duty free car and belongings and real estate ownership under ones name (dream-on for LOS). But of course for some the lack of bars and working ladies at every street corner may put Malaysia out of the picture. For me, if I wasn't financially and business-wise tied down in LOS I would probably give Malaysia a shot. Has anybody got anything bad or good to comment about Malaysia?

I lived in Malaysia for 10 plus years. Discrimination abounds. The three main races hates other while proclaiming that "they get along harmoniously".

You would be just another opportunity. I could break it down by race but it wouldn't really add anything.

Just try to get something fixed around the house. If you want to do it yourself you buy junk at the hardware store that you can't find anything in because the junk is piled up. The owner seems to know where everything is but getting the point across is mostly impossible. And you still buy junk. If you want to have someone do it for you it will just as shoddy a job as you will get in Thailand but cost twice as much. If they will do the job just depends on if they think they can get enough money out of you.

Basically it's about like Thailand but much more expensive (RM 7= B70) for a beer at the store. And no matter what anyone says I like the Thais a whole lot more. :o

<br />many come to fulfill their secret wishes and fantasies<br />many come to escape their past lives and even debts,<br />many come out of love and respect for their thai partners <br />many burn their bridges and are scared of the ridicule in returning to their home countries,<br />but I think no one could settle in thailand without the financial security and pensions they have accumulated in their working lives, in those home countries,<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Lets cut the crap,

As a retiree married with a Thai lady for more than 30 years, and as most retirees I was able to save some money, and I have a pension who is equal to a senior management salary in Thailand. That afford me to have a lifestyle that is just impossible iun my home country.

I know that moving will have many downsides. First of all the limited choice of product(just look to the limited models of cars and food products), an expensive healthcare. Even my wife hesitated to go back home. Because I live in a town that have an unlimited choice of foreign and local restaurants, theatres, shopping streets, historical center and all of this in walking distance from my home.

But the economic reasons influenced the final decision to move up.

Thai women.

C'mon boys, admit it .

I wish I had one.

First, specifically, if you think Thai women are totally acquiescent, wishing you had one is as close as you're going to get. I could go on, but I prefer to address the general case:

Expectations.

The OP's assumptions about the downside to Thailand, stem, I offer, from failure to meet the generally false assumptions which cause people to pull up stakes and head for Thailand. A simple summary would be the assumption that everything works in a similar fashion to the way things work in [name your country], only cheaper, and with a pleasant smile. I couldn't keep track of how many bitterly angry people complain about the lack of real customer service, efficency, diligence, etc. And if you get past your week on Sukhumvit, to actually meet a regular Thai woman, perhaps fall in love, and set up housekeeping, you will find out how acquiescent and subservient they are. Not.

The key is recognizing what you want from Thailand, and then asking yourself how YOU can adapt to life here, NOT the other way around. All due respect to those highly paid expats, who can insulate themselves from actual life in Thailand, or take it in managable doses; money merely prolongs the fantasy. The more Thai you live, the more you will have to adapt. Some of us, who have a choice, find that interesting; others find it frustrating.

The notion that men stay here because of the women, presumes that they can live the fantasy semi-indefinitely: bars, MPs, discos are inherently self-limiting pursuits. Either you run out of cash, or you run out of stimulation. Either way, it's hardly enough to keep you here.

Sateev

Edited by MiG16
last part of post deleted. please make yourself aware of forum rules and refrain from comments against the rules:MiG16

Many settle, just as many become disenchanted.

Wouldn't it be easier to break new ground in neighbouring lands nowadays.

:o Haven't we had this conversation before on this forum?

Climate---a big no to snow and cold winters. That eliminates a lot of European countries.

Cost of living----I can't really afford to live in most EU countries (with the current Euro/Dollar exchange rate) on my pension/social security. I can still manage in Thailand (this is for after I retire from work that I'm talking about)

Othe countries in S.E. Asia area----Philippines...crime rate is high. Malaysia...fine if you follow the rules, but I personally have been told that flats were not availbale to rent except for Malays, and no alchohol allowed please in Malaysia. Laos...I've never been there, but I have no friends and family there.

Cambodia...I was there quite a few years ago...they shot at me then. I know it's a different world, but I still feel a little wierd returning to a place the people once tried to kill me. Singapore...costs as more or more than places in Europe. Indonesia...Bali sounded nice until the bombings a few years back.

But the biggest reason for staying in Thailand...I have friends and family here.

No place is perfect, but if I have to be in an imperfect place, I'd rather have it be Thailand than most other countries.

:D

Its Me again, :D Just like to answer a few of the comments on things I have said in this thread,Firstly tpp thanhs comments about germans not being able to get work, Cobblers!!the german people made a rod for their own backs, firstly in the late 60,s and 70,simporting 2.5million Gast arbeitern(guest workers) to do the dirty jobs!! because there were plenty of them to be done, when the foreigners were given residential permits they put down roots and brought their families, take Berlinfor example with its turkish workers germans did not want too sweep streets, clean toilets , and all the other crap jobs, now 30 years later racial prejudice and violence is coming back because now the opinion is all these 2nd and 3rd generation foreigners are taking jobs away from german people,

My english wife shares my interests in thailand, we always travel together, so I dont need a thai girlfriend, there was a comment about living in malaysia, I had lecture engagements there in 2004 for 7 months so I leased a 3 bedroom furnished apartment in Petaling Jaya near for the equivalent of 500 dollars australian a month ,we are moving to the same place after xmas for a couple of months no problems with rent or visa,s , also very handy for Airasia to los ,singapore, Bali,goldcoast, why must so many readers only look for the bad things in people and places, go in with a smile, you will be answered with a smile, even when I feel like victor meldrew I get a lift when I see a smiling face :o

The more Thai you live, the more you will have to adapt. Some of us, who have a choice, find that interesting; others find it frustrating.

and there are others who live here who neither give a thought concerning adaption nor finding Thailand interesting or frustrating. they just live their lives according to their preferences and enjoy the various advantages the country provides whilst taking the disadvantages in a stride because they can't change or influence existing facts :o

The more Thai you live, the more you will have to adapt. Some of us, who have a choice, find that interesting; others find it frustrating.

and there are others who live here who neither give a thought concerning adaption nor finding Thailand interesting or frustrating. they just live their lives according to their preferences and enjoy the various advantages the country provides whilst taking the disadvantages in a stride because they can't change or influence existing facts :D

Yep. :o

Some people though never get over the "how things should be vs how they really are" syndrome that affects expats in every country other than their own. Disaffection ensues...

now 30 years later racial prejudice and violence is coming back because now the opinion is all these 2nd and 3rd generation foreigners are taking jobs away from german people,

i beg to disagree Nignoy. most of my country fellows who revived racial prejudice are low class, uneducated and lazy people who enjoy the benefits of a "Sozialstaat" and its "soziale Netz" as they are still not willing to take most of the jobs held by "gastarbeiter". to divert from their own shortcomings and vent their frustration (the latter due to reduced social benefits) it has become for them a pastime to blame the foreigners.

hi all. i'm early retired living in south florida and considering an expat life. i've good friends here though many scattered around the usa. i've great family who have means to visit me wherever i might be. i can afford to stay put and i'm still a good looking guy who can pretty much get laid when i want.

i'm not considering thailand for sexual pleasure or to jump from a burnt bridge or to afford a better standard of living. if anything, likely life there will not be as comfortable as i have it now. so i'm surprised that this is the first post of this thread to mention adventure & education in answer to the op's question of why come to thailand.

i'm planning my first visit to last a few exploratory months later this year or next. in researching the place, the pictures i've seen are stunning. i love thai food (i've three thai restaurants within walking distance from my home which i frequent). i've enjoyed the thai people i've met here (in those restaurants, mostly), also i am a student of buddhism (dzogchen, in particular, but i'd like to learn of other schools as well). life in my own country is wonderful but i already know that. i want to experience more.

i want to force my brain to work harder. to shop at a market where i don't already know where every item is located. i want to see elephants in the wild. maybe do some volunteer work. i don't want a hard life and i've pretty much already assured that, but also i don't want life to be too easy. i think that with effort comes reward and so the hurdles of which you speak do not deter me but intrigue.