Railway Strike Completely Paralyzes North

george

Lack of railway service completely paralyzes North

CHIANG MAI: -- Railway services in Thailand's northern region have been paralysed after all northern line train service in Chiang Mai were suspended on Sunday.

Passengers have no choice but to change to other modes of transportation. An assistant to the Chiang Mai train stationmaster, Silrat Deewajee, said it is unclear when service can resume.

The State Railways of Thailand (SRT) labour union's work stoppage has disrupted train service nationwide. However, Chiang Mai airport is still open amid tightened security.

In the south, Hat Yai airport resumed operations on Saturday after a two-day blockage of the facility. Some passengers traveled from Phuket to embark from Hat Yai airport as the island resort's airport remains closed.

Meanwhile, Surat Thai airport resumed service Sunday after some protesters, who blocked the airport on Saturday, dispersed.

-- TNA 2008-08-31

Lack of railway service completely paralyzes North

CHIANG MAI: -- Railway services in Thailand's northern region have been paralysed after all northern line train service in Chiang Mai were suspended on Sunday.

Passengers have no choice but to change to other modes of transportation. An assistant to the Chiang Mai train stationmaster, Silrat Deewajee, said it is unclear when service can resume.

The State Railways of Thailand (SRT) labour union's work stoppage has disrupted train service nationwide. However, Chiang Mai airport is still open amid tightened security.

In the south, Hat Yai airport resumed operations on Saturday after a two-day blockage of the facility. Some passengers traveled from Phuket to embark from Hat Yai airport as the island resort's airport remains closed.

Meanwhile, Surat Thai airport resumed service Sunday after some protesters, who blocked the airport on Saturday, dispersed.

-- TNA 2008-08-31

Anyone have an idea of what their next move may be?

I remember when the air traffic controllers went on strike in the US paralyzing the entire transport system and damaging the national economy. Reagan ordered them back to work while negotiating - those that didn't were fired. Problem solved; never happened again.

I remember when the air traffic controllers went on strike in the US paralyzing the entire transport system and damaging the national economy. Reagan ordered them back to work while negotiating - those that didn't were fired. Problem solved; never happened again.

but that works in the USA only.

No, it works in every country where the government actually respects and enforces the rule of law.

Obviously not the case here in Thailand, at every level.

I don't see why it couldn't work here, some people are being paid to rally. A Thai friend supports PAD and has closed his restaurant and took all his staff on full pay to show support for PAD, of course the staff get money for nothing, who wouldn't go? Wish my boss would pay me to sit in a park and eat and drink all day.

No, it works in every country where the government actually respects and enforces the rule of law.

Particularly the incumbent government, na? :o

I don't see why it couldn't work here, some people are being paid to rally. A Thai friend supports PAD and has closed his restaurant and took all his staff on full pay to show support for PAD, of course the staff get money for nothing, who wouldn't go? Wish my boss would pay me to sit in a park and eat and drink all day.

Again. And again. And again. THEY. ARE. NOT. BEING. PAID.

Edited by jitagon

Again. And again. And again. We know people that are, so you are wrong. Have a nice day.

Thai workers don't give a d@mn about anything. The only things that can motivate them is a beer, a meal and a couple of banknotes.

How long have you been leaving in Thailand ?

Again. And again. And again. We know people that are, so you are wrong. Have a nice day.

Indeed they are being paid - I know quite a few people that were offered 500bht per day. They politely declined, however they know many who did take up the offer. (lot of dosh to turn down for the avg thai, so one can't blame them)

Indeed they are being paid - I know quite a few people that were offered 500bht per day. They politely declined, however they know many who did take up the offer. (lot of dosh to turn down for the avg thai, so one can't blame them)

but beside you no one else is reporting that.

Train service between Penang and Thai capital remains suspended

BANGKOK, Mon.:

The train service between Penang and the Thai capital remains suspended as Thailand’s anti-government protests continue to paralyse the railway service, affecting thousands of passengers and even disrupting onshore oil production in northern Thailand.

Thanongsak Phongprasert, Chief of the Southern Centre of the State Railways of Thailand (SRT), said railway workers had not come to work since Friday and there was no indication when the service would resume.

He said that besides the daily Bangkok-Penang service that takes about 20 hours, about 20 train services were also affected in the country’s southern region.

“About 7,000 passengers are affected daily as our train services run up to Sungai Golok in Narathiwat (on the Malaysia-Thailand border),” he said when contacted in Hatyai.

Beginning Friday, SRT workers took sick leave en masse to support the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) which has been staging a protest against Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej’s government since May 25, and led a siege on the country’s nerve centre of administration, the Government House, on Aug 26.

In Bangkok, passengers with tickets for the Bangkok-Penang train service were advised to look for alternative transportation.

“Those who have already bought tickets can come to Hua Lamphong train station to get a refund,” an SRT spokesman said.

The Phuket and Krabi international airports resumed operation today after they were forced to close by protesters on Friday and Saturday, while Hatyai Airport started operation on Saturday after a one-day shutdown.

The ongoing railway strike is also disrupting oil production in the country’s biggest onshore well, the Sirikit Oilfield, located in Phitsanulok province, 377 km north of Bangkok.

PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) has cut down its daily oil output from about 20,000 barrels per day to just 3,000 due to the difficulty in transporting the oil to refining facilities in Bangkok, while production of LPG and NGV gas was going on as these are used by the electricity utility firm, EGAT, for consumption in the northern part.

A PTTEP spokesman, who confirmed the reduction in output, said they could not transport the crude oil without the railway service, adding that they were losing millions in revenue as only 3,000 barrels could be ferried daily by trucks.

- Straits Times / 2008-09-01

Edited by sriracha john

It may be that a lot depends on the amount of whiskey they consume on their sick day, if any is left, and what funds they have in hand. Not much different to any normal working day, except the private sector plan for this with additional people a phone call away.

Thai workers don't give a d@mn about anything. The only things that can motivate them is a beer, a meal and a couple of banknotes.

How long have you been leaving in Thailand ?

1) are you living in Thailand?

and

2) Glad to know you have such a poor opinion of Thai people

I think some people are arguing the wrong point. There is little difference between most Thais and Westerners--the only difference is how much it will cost. Are people being 'paid' to attend rallies--they are. A friends wife and a whole bunch from their village are down at the protest area. They were given 200 baht, a bus ride and free food to attend. Do they care about PAD--No. They all were supporters of Taksin, but like they said, 'for 200 baht and a free bus ride and free food, we'll go to the city. Nothing to do here.'

And the gov't supporters will probably have the same sort of thing going on.

For some people it is about politics and beliefs, but for a whole lot of people it isn't.

I think some people are arguing the wrong point. There is little difference between most Thais and Westerners--the only difference is how much it will cost. Are people being 'paid' to attend rallies--they are. A friends wife and a whole bunch from their village are down at the protest area. They were given 200 baht, a bus ride and free food to attend. Do they care about PAD--No. They all were supporters of Taksin, but like they said, 'for 200 baht and a free bus ride and free food, we'll go to the city. Nothing to do here. And it's enough to undergo the very real risk of ending our lives for it'

And the gov't supporters will probably have the same sort of thing going on.

For some people it is about politics and beliefs, but for a whole lot of people it isn't.

Do any of them say the above red text or is that asked in a question format to them prior to departing?

Although it is disheartening to learn of their accepting payments for their rallies in London.

Edited by sriracha john

yes Germany worked very well in the second worldwar also Stalins Sovjet. Nothing was illegal it was law and enforcing the law.

Shoot that Jew, it is law.

If it is law it is legal and OK....

And different than the German example PPP was not even democratic elected as the EC ruled that today

LOL,

people that think the folks standing up to Samak right now are getting paid must be daft!

Does that include those PAD protesters in London as reported by Brit?

Only if they pay baht in the UK :o

Yeah I thought was kinda strange too... but hey, you just can't beat on-the-ground local reporting.

yes Germany worked very well in the second worldwar also Stalins Sovjet. Nothing was illegal it was law and enforcing the law.

Shoot that Jew, it is law.

If it is law it is legal and OK....

And different than the German example PPP was not even democratic elected as the EC ruled that today

Quite an astute comparison... Did you actually go to school in Europe H90? Just curious where you acquired your historical knowledge and ability to think so critically.