Laptop To Tv Via Wireless Network

richard10365

I have a satellite t.v. system that originally was a Dynasat set up. I bought a new Dreambox 500S receiver which hooks up to my wireless router via an Ethernet cable. This puts my receiver on my home network and I am able to watch satellite t.v. on my laptop anywhere in my home.

With that in mind, I think it is possible to reverse the process and send my laptop signal to my satellite receiver and output to my t.v.

I have read it's possible but I can't seem to find a user friendly way to do this. Has anyone done this before? If so, is it easy to do?

Thanks for your help.

no, it's not possible.

the dreambox can send a mpeg2 flux thru the RJ45 with a big loss in quality but that's all.

From the RJ45 to my wireless router the Dreambox sends the 802.11G signal out to my laptop with pretty good quality. It's not high definition but I think it's as good as the signal you get on UBC.

There is a also feature on the Dreambox called NGrab. Which works to copy the incoming signal from the Dreambox to your computer's hard drive. However, I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

There seems to be many features of the Dreambox I am discovering. This past weekend I discovered how to use the shoutcast program that is selectable with the Dreambox remote control. It downloads all internet radio stations on Shoutcast. You pick the one you want (picked country music) and it streams the internet radio station to the Dreambox. No computer involved.

This feature makes me wonder what other features are associated with the dreambox. Since I am able to change the channels on my Dreambox using my laptop, I imagine there is a way to stream data from my laptop to the Dreambox and out to my TV so I can watch internet TV on my main TV without using cables.

I have read it's possible but I can't seem to find a user friendly way to do this. Has anyone done this before? If so, is it easy to do?

Yes this can be done and lots more besides.

We have recently updated the wiki-pedia on the Pli (the people who write the firmware for your boxes) website where it explains step by step how to do this.

Movieplayer streaming (most video formats) here Pli Wiki - Movieplayer

Generic streaming here (most video formats including HDTV & IPTV) here Pli Wiki - Generic streaming

Regular mpeg files residing on your PC can be played by the dreambox directly.

You first have to mount your PC's hard rive on the dreambox, if you google for it you'll find much info on how to do this.

Then you can go into file mode with your dreambox and just play the files.

Alternatively, you can use VLC on your PC, which is able to convert any video file on the fly into mpeg and stream that to the dreambox (I think that is what joncl's solution is doing)

<br />Thanks Jon and Monty. I appreciate the responses. There is a definite learning curve to the Dreambox. I think I am still in the novice stage but learning quickly. I appreciate the link.<br />

i misunderstood your question, i thought you were talking about sending the signal from your laptop including the desktop, programsetc , not only for movie playing.