Help Please!

Hi all,

I've been reading through quite a few posts regarding visa issues and I am now a little bit concerned. My current situation is that I have a one-way ticket booked for Thailand in 6 days, my intention was to try and find a teaching job within the first one or two months of my stay and transfer my 30 day visa exemption to a Non-Immigrant B visa during that period.

My worry is that I read a post saying this - 'Do not come to Thailand without a visa. Without a visa you will need to show a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. If you don't have one the airline will probably not let you board the airplane'. Will this be the case if I don't have a visa and only a one-way ticket?

Secondly, my understanding of the visa exemption is as follows - You are entitled to a 30 day stay with a limit of 90 days maximum (two border runs) within a 6 month period from the first day you entered the Kingdom. I am presuming that after that 6 month period is over it resets and you are allowed a further 30 days within a 90 day limit? The reason I ask is that I did some voluntary work in Mae Sai in January/February this year in which I left and re-entered the Kingdom twice.

Considering I am set to leave in less than a week I am getting a bit nervous about this now. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dj.

Hi all,

I've been reading through quite a few posts regarding visa issues and I am now a little bit concerned. My current situation is that I have a one-way ticket booked for Thailand in 6 days, my intention was to try and find a teaching job within the first one or two months of my stay and transfer my 30 day visa exemption to a Non-Immigrant B visa during that period.

My worry is that I read a post saying this - 'Do not come to Thailand without a visa. Without a visa you will need to show a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. If you don't have one the airline will probably not let you board the airplane'. Will this be the case if I don't have a visa and only a one-way ticket?

Secondly, my understanding of the visa exemption is as follows - You are entitled to a 30 day stay with a limit of 90 days maximum (two border runs) within a 6 month period from the first day you entered the Kingdom. I am presuming that after that 6 month period is over it resets and you are allowed a further 30 days within a 90 day limit? The reason I ask is that I did some voluntary work in Mae Sai in January/February this year in which I left and re-entered the Kingdom twice.

Considering I am set to leave in less than a week I am getting a bit nervous about this now. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dj.

Regarding your airline ticket question CALL THE AIRLINE and ask them directly. If they say it is ok, then record the person's name you talked with, time and date etc so that if you have a problem at check-in, you can provide the information. Better yet, if you have the time.....inquire via email so you can print out answer and have PAPER saying it was ok.

The law about entering under the "visa exemption" program says you cannot use this type of entry/stay for more than 90 days in any 180 day period. If you use 90 days consecutively, then you have 90 days you cannot enter or stay in Thailand using the "visa exemption" program. Anyone wanting to go for possibly a long time should secure a multi entry tourist visa before departing their home country and keep the 3 "exemption" allowances in reserve.

Can one secure a Non-B while in country????? I'm not sure of that, I was thinking you had to leave the Kingdom or even possibly have to go back to your own country to get that one.......I'm not sure though.

I've been offered a teaching position in my Thai hometown but I have a lot of responsibility to get lifted here in the states before I can accept and go. My Thai wife would love to go but when one has physical assets that require regular financial support, it is hard to go to the other side of the world and work for only enough to live month to month over there.

Regards,

Martian

Good Luck

I think it's possible you could have trouble with the airline letting you board without a visa. Also, maybe everyone has different circumstances, but I do not understand why people do so many border runs. Appears to me it would be much easier and not any more expensive to get a "Tourist Visa". For many nationalities, good for 60 days and normally very easy to get extended for an additional 30 days. Also, can get multiple entries many places. Depending on your location, you may still have time to get one from an Honorary Counsulate in your area. You didn't mention where you are located.

For a transition to another type of visa within country, you would have to meet the "Extension of Stay" requirements. That would depend on your employer meeting certain requirements for you to qualify. More likely, I think you would have to exit the country to apply for a "B" visa.

Edited by beechguy

Hi all,

Cheers,

Dj.

Regarding your airline ticket question CALL THE AIRLINE and ask them directly. If they say it is ok, then record the person's name you talked with, time and date etc so that if you have a problem at check-in, you can provide the information. Better yet, if you have the time.....inquire via email so you can print out answer and have PAPER saying it was ok.

The law about entering under the "visa exemption" program says you cannot use this type of entry/stay for more than 90 days in any 180 day period. If you use 90 days consecutively, then you have 90 days you cannot enter or stay in Thailand using the "visa exemption" program. Anyone wanting to go for possibly a long time should secure a multi entry tourist visa before departing their home country and keep the 3 "exemption" allowances in reserve.

Can one secure a Non-B while in country????? I'm not sure of that, I was thinking you had to leave the Kingdom or even possibly have to go back to your own country to get that one.......I'm not sure though.

I've been offered a teaching position in my Thai hometown but I have a lot of responsibility to get lifted here in the states before I can accept and go. My Thai wife would love to go but when one has physical assets that require regular financial support, it is hard to go to the other side of the world and work for only enough to live month to month over there.

Regards,

Martian

Good Luck

No You Cannot Even check in on a one way ticket.Without a Visa or an onward ticket (and a visa to that destination).

You can purchase a oneway(or return) (onward journey) on airasia.com or bangkokair.com.I would advise to say Penang or KL Malaysia.(Malaysia has a free entry for 90 days for most countries. Check the Malay info websites to be sure your nation is included)This "E-ticket" will suffice to appease ALL of your onward journey.Print a couple of copies in case you loose one.

If You apply for a "Tourist" (60day + 30 extention option) Visa at the Nearest Thai Embassy ,You won't need the onward journey on checkin or arrival in Thailand.( Cost about 75USD).

You can stay "on arrival" 3*30 days "in out *3" .Therafter You cannot utilize Visa exept again for 6 Months.You can However Leave the Kingdom and aquire a "Tourist' Visa(Double entry best!)

Those You are allowed only twice in a row.

Your eventual None B can be obtained by a "Visa" run across the Border to a Thai embassy.Your Prospective employer will Help You sort that out if They want You.

Check out ajan.com ,a website for hooking up teachers in Thailand.(You can find a position there and or Leave Your resume and it will find You) In Bangkok with proper credentials expect @ 50Kbht a month.

country side @ 30kbht to start.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Edited by HelterSkelter

I have been in and out of here every 6 weeks for the last 5 years and my company only does one way e Tickets, I have never had a problem. Never been asked for an onward ticket.

What kind of visa have you for six weeks?We are discussing Visa exempt,Tourist visa and eventuall

Non imm B.After the 1st options.I have been asked for and onward on border runs twice in about

20 runs.And they were more recent.The immigrations have stepped up the "Check".It has always been a requirement.Just never Really enforced until recently,(Like wacky in Amsterdam).

Don't lead this fella astray! It is better he enter properly his first time.No one wants a hassle.

...Never been asked for an onward ticket.

Of course you haven’t, because you have a non-O visa. It is the combination of having a one-way ticket only and having no visa that creates the risk of being refused at check-in.

--

Maestro

...Never been asked for an onward ticket.

Of course you haven't, because you have a non-O visa. It is the combination of having a one-way ticket only and having no visa that creates the risk of being refused at check-in.

--

Maestro

I only had Non O a couple of times, most times just arrived without a visa and did visa runs to cambodia.

My current situation is that I have a one-way ticket booked for Thailand in 6 days, my intention was to try and find a teaching job within the first one or two months of my stay and transfer my 30 day visa exemption to a Non-Immigrant B visa during that period.

If you dont have a visa stamped in your passport OR a ticket out they will most likely hassle you when you checkin .  IF you have any kind of visa stamp, say from the thai embassy in your country you will be fine.

Should you not have the time to run to the thai embassy and get a visa (really good idea btw) then you can tell the airline that you want to sign a liability waiver. 

The problem is that IF you are denied visa on entry the airline will have to foot the bill etc. to get you out of thailand. The liability waiver means that if you are denied entry you will foot all costs involved (more than just a return ticket most likely).

I had quantas pull the no visa/no exit ticket/ no way thing on me, I asked for and signed the liability waiver and was able to get on to and into thailand with no problem, but that really depends on your situation.

NEVER say that you are coming to work unless you have the WP/letter of interest already. 

Should you not have the time to run to the thai embassy and get a visa (really good idea btw) then you can tell the airline that you want to sign a liability waiver.

The problem is that IF you are denied visa on entry the airline will have to foot the bill etc. to get you out of thailand. The liability waiver means that if you are denied entry you will foot all costs involved (more than just a return ticket most likely).

I had quantas pull the no visa/no exit ticket/ no way thing on me, I asked for and signed the liability waiver and was able to get on to and into thailand with no problem, but that really depends on your situation.

NEVER say that you are coming to work unless you have the WP/letter of interest already.

Agreed Try to get the Tourist Visa Before leaving!Wisdom indeed!

I had Emirates Pull this Denial Move in the Beginning of the policy being enforced(@ 5 years ago?)

I tried the "Sign a Waiver" move But they flat out said no way Hose´! I had to go to the Ticket counter and puchase a single onward to Malaysia at 4 times the price of Bangkok!(In London at Malaysian Air)

Then it took 9 Weeks to refund it! I asked Malay in BKK office if they sent the Ticket to KL refunds By "Special Monkey" or Elephant!

I only had Non O a couple of times, most times just arrived without a visa and did visa runs to cambodia.

If what you posted yesterday or the day before, ie that your current multiple-entry non-O visa is about to expire, is true and if, as you say, you travel to Thailand every six weeks then you have the last seven times done so with a visa. I’d rather hear from members who within the last three months were able to check in at a UK airport for a flight to Thailand with a one-way ticket and with no visa. I have seen no such reports and even if there were any it would be no guarantee that the OP would be equally lucky.

A “visa run to Cambodia”, ie a border crossing into Cambodia and return to Thailand without a visa, is a different thing and not what the OP plans to do in six days. He will fly from the UK to Thailand, and we are not talking about arriving in Thailand but about checking in for a flight, ie about refusal by the airline, not by Thai immigration.

--

Maestro

Well it's down to the job of airline check in employee.

7 years I fly with return tickets bought in Thailand, which means my return leg is to Bangkok.

Yes I do have non-O and extensions (never would take the risk of getting refused to board aplane)

But only once have they checked my visa status.

Oh, and I don't fly out of the UK...

Why the OP hasn't got himself a visa ? Or he could have purchased a return ticket with the possibility of modifying the return date (usually a small fee)

Go figure :o

Thanks to all for your tips and advice. I made the lengthy trip first thing this morning to the nearest Thai consulate and applied for a tourist visa - 60 days with the option of extending it another 30, which should give me plenty of time to find a job. I'm impressed that they will have it ready for me tomorrow where I'll look forward to the lengthy drive again! I feel a lot better now, thanks all.

Dj.

...But only once have they checked my visa status...

Are you saying that only once did you have to give your passport to the check-in staff?

Or are you saying that you had to give your passport every time to the check-in staff but they talked to you only once about your visa status? If so, this does not mean that the other times they did not also check your visa, but without talking to you about it.

--

Maestro