Help . . . Is The £ Going Into Free-fall?

what's the best guess for timing? I was thinking 55 soon rising to late 50s in few months - I ask because I'm due to transfer a considerable sum in the next month or two

My comment on 8th April when all the Doom and Gloom merchants were saying its heading for the toilet - bit lucky maybe but got my transfer at 54.30 - not wanting to risk the second half of my prediction 'late 50s in few months' because I am doubting that a little now... if you want to transfer I would do it now IMHO - DYOR and good luck)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deleted

At the end of the day, it's all about the bottom line and accepting you've made the jump when you did.

I've a friend who bought a unit in one of the best condos in Pattaya, a month after he transferred the Bht halved in value - he was kicking himself.

Right now, the same unit would have cost him five or six times what he paid and he had several years of rental income off of it.

Edited by GuestHouse

Deleted

At the end of the day, it's all about the bottom line and accepting you've made the jump when you did.

I've a friend who bought a unit in one of the best condos in Pattaya, a month after he transferred the Bht halved in value - he was kicking himself.

Right now, the same unit would have cost him five or six times what he paid and he had several years of rental income off of it.

Hi GuestHouse - so what you are saying is a line from the original famous film, that caused massive controversy, it is "GET ON WITH IT". Though the new version was very funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedazzled_(2000_film)

• 2 months later...

If you take the rather simplistic assumption that you dont know much and that the fundamentals dont change much against the US, I think you have to assume that sterling is about right. On any historic base it was overvalued at 2.06 and therefore likely to fall and having fallen to 1.37 in six months it was bound to get either a trading bounce or a fundamental one.

At the current price it is hard to get too excited. I doubt anyone likes its fundamentals but who would get too excited about the dollar or yen. A couple of currencies do look to have good fundamentals - say Nor Kr - but they are just about the most overvalued in terms of PPP.

I do happen to like baht on a relative basis - ok fundamentals, ok compared to PPP - but have plenty of useless Thai assets on which I wouldnt like to increase my exposure.

So I would like to sell GBP on the basis of crap fundamentals and a decent bounce, I just cant really think of a credible currency to be bullish of.

Come on you beauty 57 nearly 58...PLEASE make 60 by mid-August :D

RAZZ

P.S. I think I had 66 in the sweep for my Christmas prediction :)

You've obviously got cash coming in, what about us, going out!?

Regards Bojo

I tend to lean toward the positive story, and am in the process of moving my capital from USD into GBP.

Merry Christmas all

:D :D Are you being bloody serious or pulling a few hundred legs here ?

You might as well start bringing water into the Pacific Ocean...

LaoPo

I guess everyone choses their own particular brand of poison Lao, mine is a good Merlot or Cabernet though :D I do concurr with your sentiments however, anyone moving their Dollars or Euros into Sterling at this time, definately are in need of some serious financial counseling :)

I moved my capital from GBP into USD at 1.97 in June 2007, I'm moving my capital into GBP from USD December 2008/January 2009 at approx 1.48, so I'm locking-in what is already a substantial gain.

Lets comg back to this at the end of 2009, maybe I will be wrong and need conselling :-) but will hold off on making my appointment for now. :-) always keen to learn and thanks for your input :-)

At the moment from my perspective I have your goodself and maybe a few other people on this forum in the USD strength camp with many stratigists on Bloomberg in the USD weakness camp for end of 2009.

I think the main difference between you and these stratigists on Bloomberg is they believe the economic will pick up toward the end of 2009, ie a recession of approx 4 qtrs but not a depression, whilst I think you believe it will take longer?

GBP does seem to be doing well, and after all, I think I will not be in need of serious financial counseling as VegasVic thought.

I do think going forward, countries at some piont will begin to increase their base rate, as and when they do their respective currency will strengthen proportionatley to other currencies.