Bangkok Bank Credit Card

I went to Bangkapi's Bangkok Bank branch to apply for a 30,000B worth of Credit Card and they want me to open an account with them which I immediately did. Then they wanted me to deposit 60,000B into this account and the BB will freeze this amount until I return or cancel the Credit Card with them.

The thing is that I really don't understand why they want me to deposit a huge amount while all I need is a CC for 30,000B. I don't really need the credit card but when it comes to buying or booking online, the CC would come handy. Plus, I have all the documents that they require. I really don't want the money to be kept frozen there.

Has anyone experienced anything like this from BB or any bank? Thanks.

Yep....... BB are just securing their money. I had the same issue. I wanted a 100'000 CC for business expenses and they wanted 200k frozen. I bank with BB and have much more than this already sitting in their account.... but I can see their point. Many Falang here are drifting through, even like us with WP ...still often than not only good for max 1 year! Anyway..... the money you "freeze" will still gain interest and you will have all the servises you require. I got all Western about it and took my bat and ball home..... then thought again and went back with my tail between my legs :-)

Good luck ........stick with small limit though .... I have had mine stolen and used and trying to get any help with this issue at any of the Thai banks is ........ Like pulling teeth!

All the best!

Just a security issue so you won't do a runner. The doubling is to cover your initial credit limit and additional interest payments in case of default. I think you'll still get interest on the deposit but not sure if it'll be at the fixed rate or the normal savings account rate.