State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

Democrat Party believes influential figures caused clash between PAD and DAAD

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) called a meeting of Democrat Party members of parliament in order to assess the nation's current political situation, following a recent clash between the People's Alliance for Democracy and the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship which resulted in several casualties and the implementation of the 2005 Emergency Decree by the government last night.

Following a 2 hour long discussion, Mr. Abhisit conducted a press conference to announce the Democrat Party's condolences to the victims of last night's clash. Mr. Abhisit also said his party believed last night's incident occurred due to the manipulation of influential figures who wished for violence betweeen PAD and DAAD protesters. The Democrat Party leader also believes that the Prime Minister's decision to convey full authority to the Army Commander in Chief to handle the nation's political situation was an attempt to shift responsibility.

Mr. Abhisit adds that, in his capacity as leader of the opposition party, he has no further appeals to the Prime Minister, but affirms that Mr. Samak and the government must take responsibility for recent violent political events. Mr. Abhisit asked the Army Commander in Chief to resolve the nation's political situation peacefully, justly, and rationally.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 September 2008

Abhisit....boring as always....telling nothing.

How about one time one clear sentence from him? Or do I want too much?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just thought this bears repeating:

The 70:30 proposal by PAD is just that - a proposal. For it to become law, it requires a democratic act to abolish democracy, barring some unilateral action by a coup-maker. The PAD are in no position to make the rules.

Just because the PAD is (or isn't) successful in removing Samak from office does not automatically mean that a 70:30 proposal will become law.

Yes. That is true. But it is a proposal and until they retract it, it shows where their hearts really are. It is disturbing that people see them as defenders of democracy because of their name.

The imminent High Season for tourism in Bangkers Kwanke_rs has just gone up the Wazoo.

somewhat concerned about this myself as i have elderly relatives coming over from the UK in a few week, first stop BKK. though they are from manchester to be fair so they're more than used to the odd burnt out car, riot and war zone.

The 70:30 proposal by PAD is just that - a proposal. For it to become law, it requires a democratic act to abolish democracy, barring some unilateral action by a coup-maker. The PAD are in no position to make the rules.

Just because the PAD is (or isn't) successful in removing Samak from office does not automatically mean that a 70:30 proposal will become law.

But would he have half the support he has now if more people knew that may be what he believes? He has postulated on the collapse of the monarchy, which certainly doesn't seem imminent but no doubt has encouraged some protestors to rally.

If people want to step into the public domain, statements and actions like these are fair for debate. If he was a communist in his youth people would want to know wouldn't they? A statement like that is worth noticing and publicising. He might like wearing women's clothes at home, but I don't care about that, much less want to envision it.

I could forgive him his business dealings, since he may or may not be corrupt and have believed that he was acting for the good of the country. These business dealings do serve to make him look to every personal reason to ruin Thaksin's life.

The 70:30 statement takes me to believe he maybe part of a much larger idea, which in the crazy place of Thai politics has every chance of coming to reality as not.

Interior Ministry instructs provincial governors to keep an eye on political movements

Permanent Secretary for Interior Pongpayome Vasaputi (พงศ์โพยม วาศภูติ) instructs provincial governors nationwide to closely monitor political movements in their provinces following the government's enforcement of Emergency Decree in Bangkok.

The permanent secretary also prohibits the ministry's officials from taking off work and requests them to urgently explain the situation to people. He urges the officials to report any political conflicts in their area to the ministry.

Mr Pongpayome also asks the officials to contact the ministry immediately if people in their province travel to Bangkok in a large group in order to prevent them in time.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 September 2008

DAAD disperses

The Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship dispersed its rally at Sanam Luanga at 10:40 am.

Its leaders thanked the demonstrators and announced the cease of demonstration by the group, saying the government was now in control after the state of emergency was announced.

DAAD demonstrators were handed out foods and many left Sanam Luang on buses.

The Nation

They did the job Thaksins side ask them to do, got paid and went home. Now we are left with a State of Emergency, where the Government can attack the PAD at will, shut down TV stations and so on. Wonder what will happen from here on in?

are you suggesting that the army is on the goverment's side? I thought that the army was the one who threw taksin out..

hope everyone will just resort to more peaceful ways to solve their indifferences.

Ministry of Interior affirms state enterprises will continue to supply water, electricity

The Spokesperson to the Ministry of Interior, Mr. Supachai Jaisamut (ศุภชัย ใจสมุทร) affirms that 4 major state enterprises, including the Metropolitan Electricity Authority, the Provincial Electricity Authority, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, and the Provincial Waterworks Authority will not cease operations due to the current political turmoil.

He affirms that these organizations, under the supervision of the Ministry of Interior, will continue to provide water and electricity to public and private sector sites, including government facilities.

Mr. Supachai said that if state enterprise employees left their post to join People's Alliance for Democracy demonstrations, substitute employees would be found to replace them. Retired or former state enterprise workers will also be called upon to temporarily return to duty to assist.

The Spokespersons to the Ministry of Interior called upon employees of the nation's state enterprises to refrain from joining political demonstations, as this would cause hardship for the public.

Authorities to issue arrest warrants for ASTV administrator and accomplices

The Secretary General to the Minister of Interior's Office, Mr. Supachai Jaisamut (ศุภชัย ใจสมุทร), in his capacity as Spokesperson to the Ministry of Interior, said that People's Alliance for Democracy members who continue to disregard the Emergency Decree will face charges of public gathering of more than 5 persons, which carries a penalty of a maximum of 2 years imprisonment. Other charges include trespassing on government property, and insurrection against the state.

Mr. Supachai called on protesters to respect the law. Meanwhile investigative officers are summarizing warrants for the arrest of Mr. Chithnat Limthongkul (จิตนาถ ลิ้นทองกุล), an administrator of the ASTV channel, as well as more than 30 accomplices on charges of insurrection, and trespassing, charges which the nine leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy also face.

The Spokesperson to the Ministry of Interior said that officers will also be responsible for shutting down ASTV broadcasts under the Emergency Decree.

Yes. That is true. But it is a proposal and until they retract it, it shows where their hearts really are. It is disturbing that people see them as defenders of democracy because of their name.

their name is as big a political misnomer as i've seen. and if they don't plan to implement 70:30, why would it even be on the table? of course they intend it.

I was too young to stand for anything in 1992. So that is not applicable. I have stated time and again that I do not support PAD, but I do support peace. I believe we need to clear the way for peace and since the PAD are not going to accept anything - and bloodshed will continue - we have to at least dismantle PAD peacefully, and the government needs to step down and we need to find a way forward from there onwards. There is no use bleating about how wrong PAD is, in many ways they are very very wrong, but the facts remain that they are going to continue. So what are the options? Confrontation? Well, sorry, I am Thai, I do not support bloodshed of my pepole...or option two - for the government to make a sacrifice. This government is hardly the victim, let's not forget that most people in Thailand who get to hear unbiased media, will agree that this government has a lot to answer for and is corrupt to the core. There is no right here. They are both wrong. But as I said, PAD will not step down, so the government has to.

The protestors don't step down and said they are "the majority of Thai people" fighting for the right. No, majority of Thais supports Khun Thaksil and Khun Samak for what they do to the country. Thai developed a lot during Khun Thaksil's time. Could anyone clear that huge IMF loan? Only Khun Thaksil could. That was why Khun Samak won the election. People know who to vote for.

NBT is anything but neutral. If it is, why has there not been ONE interview from a PAD supporter for over 100 days. Not one. NBT is glaringly biased. As is ASTV. ASTV is privately owned and subscription based, which allows it to be whatever it and its fans want it to be. NBT is paid by the people, it has no right to be taking sides. Which it so obviously is. Last night it had government officials being interviewed urging the red lot to come into Bangkok to support the government. Is this in anyway calming the fires? Just look at ThaiVisa, with its polar opposite views from each member. The passion and the conviction is so strong here, think what it must be like for people who are actually born and bred in this country,[/b] who are on the streets being roused by rhetoric and acts of aggression. If you lot can't see the woods for the trees, try to understand that it would be even harder for those actually participating. There is so much wrong, and there is too much righteousness. That is why I have said from the start that while I do not support PAD, the government must be the bigger man, must be the sensible party and step down. And we can calm the situation and then start rebuilding. This is not giving up, not giving in, it is simply sensible and necessary to stop further bloodshed. But then I suppose you won't agree with me, so we are all back to our righteous indignation. Sad times.

Jiang Mai:

I could not agree more. I and my wife are in the USA...We do have Thai TV....She was at the rally in 92 when so many students were killed and wounded....She hates the corruption in Thailand and especially Thaskin for what he and his government did to "her" Issan.

Tonight she has a bed role on the floor in front of ASTV....she is hanging on exactly everything that is happening to the protesters. She has asked me for over a month for money and a ticket so she can go back and join Sonthi in the protest.

We have been married since 96, and actually I am quite proud of her passion for politics. Here was a typical Issan farm girl, literally no education, that became the #1 woman in her village, runs several farms, and 1 business, and when we visit her "home" people and relatives come from miles around to listen to her advise and judgment.

Yes the emotions and passions do run high with people about this....and while we sit and discuss as the foreigner maybe we should pay a little attention to the words of the Thai national anthem.....it is certainly not a song of peace on tranquility.

I think you are the perfect person to ask this of. And I ask in all sincerity because I am trying to understand. Does she not know about the PAD proposal to limit democratically elected officals to be only 30% of the government? Does she know and not care? The popular belief is that PAD proposes this to keep Isan from electing corrupt candidates because they are not smart enough to know better. In 1992 what was she protesting for?

Yes she does indeed know....however, this principal has been seldom stated, and I do not put a lot of value on it. It does not seem to be a bedrock of the PAD.

However, I have listen to my wife stand up and lecture village people in 3 different languages about how stupid they are to sell the votes for 200 to 500 baht. She even had a big go-around with the pu yi ban, as he was the one bringing money. from what I could understand she told him if he did not quit it, she would buy everybody in the village and have him replaced... :o

(he is aware she has a lot more money than he does).

I do not see PAD as moving to take power, but both of applaud the getting rid of the corrupt people in government...(maybe not in my lifetime) but people like Thaskin MUST pay for the crimes they have committed, and I do see a change in the upper court system....the little courts have a long way too go.

Thanks for the reply. I think we are all trying to get to the same place on different roads, but democracy with little corruption is a long way off.

Democrat Party believes influential figures caused clash between PAD and DAAD

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) called a meeting of Democrat Party members of parliament in order to assess the nation's current political situation, following a recent clash between the People's Alliance for Democracy and the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship which resulted in several casualties and the implementation of the 2005 Emergency Decree by the government last night.

Following a 2 hour long discussion, Mr. Abhisit conducted a press conference to announce the Democrat Party's condolences to the victims of last night's clash. Mr. Abhisit also said his party believed last night's incident occurred due to the manipulation of influential figures who wished for violence betweeen PAD and DAAD protesters. The Democrat Party leader also believes that the Prime Minister's decision to convey full authority to the Army Commander in Chief to handle the nation's political situation was an attempt to shift responsibility.

Mr. Abhisit adds that, in his capacity as leader of the opposition party, he has no further appeals to the Prime Minister, but affirms that Mr. Samak and the government must take responsibility for recent violent political events. Mr. Abhisit asked the Army Commander in Chief to resolve the nation's political situation peacefully, justly, and rationally.

Taking it as the opposition, so with a grain of salt,

it still is a well stated and non-inflamatory speech.

A well considered logic through out.

The state of emergency also prohibits news publicity in a way that terrifies the public.

-- The Nation 2008-08-02

I know this situation isn't funny . . . I had to take a bus up from Phuket cuz my flight was canceled (honest)! No, seriously, however strange this situation is, it really is a serious drag, and pretty scary, but I think everyone here understands that.

However, the semantic pedant within me just can't resist a poke at The Nation for the above sentence. One might well respond, " The poor public, receiving such a terrifying prohibition!" I hope the next time that the state of emergency, if it has to prohibit news publicity (whatever that is), will find a kinder, gentler way. :o

....mindful that Gen. Chamlong says he wants to take away the voting rights of the 'common man' if he deems him to be under-educated! Both 'sides' in this stand-off are unsavoury !

i deeply believe and strongly support, that anyone -educated or not- who sells his voting rights to the highest bidder must be deprived of this right immediatelly. anyone who attempts or buys votes must be banned from politics for the rest of his wretched life. and anyone who promotes soap operas, gameshows, violence or weapons over democratic education is unfit for any office.

I think you can throw most issues - including this one - out the door.

To boil things down: the people backing PAD don't like Thaksin or Samak. The people backing DAAD like Thaksin and Samak (or don't like Sondhi). It's not an issue of 70:30, or the failure of democracy, or anything of the sort.

Stevie - The PAD are in no position to implement anything - they are not the lawmakers, nor are they the military. I can guarantee you that the Democrats will not support a 70:30 proposal, nor will most coalition members.

Do we want democrasy in Thailand?...

no, we don't! this is neither a democracy nor a democrasy my dear friend zappo. this is democrazy. khao djai mai?

You are telling me that one has to come from an English speaking country to anticipate in this forum? Is that DEMOCRASCZY

The Secretary General to the Minister of Interior's Office, Mr. Supachai Jaisamut (ศุภชัย ใจสมุทร), in his capacity as Spokesperson to the Ministry of Interior, said that People's Alliance for Democracy members who continue to disregard the Emergency Decree will face charges of public gathering of more than 5 persons, which carries a penalty of a maximum of 2 years imprisonment. Other charges include trespassing on government property, and insurrection against the state.

Mr. Supachai called on protesters to respect the law. Meanwhile investigative officers are summarizing warrants for the arrest of Mr. Chithnat Limthongkul (จิตนาถ ลิ้นทองกุล), an administrator of the ASTV channel, as well as more than 30 accomplices on charges of insurrection, and trespassing, charges which the nine leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy also face.

The Spokesperson to the Ministry of Interior said that officers will also be responsible for shutting down ASTV broadcasts under the Emergency Decree.

So the plan was bring the guys. Replace the police chief and remove the police batons. Let the boys walk kilometers unmolested with police around. Guys Start a ruck. Police not equipped to deal and no recalcitrant police chiefs around. Declare a state of emergency. The boys go home with a few baht in their pockets. Use the SoE act to use the military to smash the PAD demo and to take ASTV permanently off air. Stick all opponents in jail. In a few days no more SoE and all opposition to government in disarray.

Interesting and very easy to see plan. The question is will it work?

So what is really going on right now? who is in power? Where are things heading in the next couple of days? Anyone have a good idea? :o

I'll hazard to say that soon--real soon--you will see soldiers in the streets of Bangkok. The lurking danger in Samak's State of Emergency call is that he may very well lose control of military, which at this time appears to backing him. But once armed soldiers are in the streets and in position, it won't take but a command for a coup.

All of this anti-PAD rhetoric is based around "one man one vote" priniciple. However, you'd never get to see it quoted - it's a hearsay repeated over and over again to feed our members personal delusions.

PAD had a proposal for consideration, to be discussed by the public and academia. They have never ever said they'd impose it on Thailand unilaterally. And it was two months ago.

Some people here imply that enforcing this proposal was the reason for PAD escalating their protests in the past week and taking over Government House.

What nonsense.

>>>>>

Samak was elected to be Prime Minister of Thailand, that means working for the benefit of all Thais. Now he is effectively in the state of war with the people he is supposed to lead, less than a month in his self-declared "116 days of unity".

He should resign simply for not being able to keep the nation together.

He failed as a leader, he should go and let someone else take charge, he is not in control of the country anyway.

Would actually implementing this order involve raiding the station and taking all in?

A recipee for conflagration. Not something we should be looking for.

Is running a business where 5 people work, who are in opposition,

enough justification to close it?

I think you can throw most issues - including this one - out the door.

To boil things down: the people backing PAD don't like Thaksin or Samak. The people backing DAAD like Thaksin and Samak (or don't like Sondhi). It's not an issue of 70:30, or the failure of democracy, or anything of the sort.

Stevie - The PAD are in no position to implement anything - they are not the lawmakers, nor are they the military. I can guarantee you that the Democrats will not support a 70:30 proposal, nor will most coalition members.

cheers man, i'm with you there. it's more surprise on my part that thai people are prepared to take to the streets for a party which proposes something as backwards as 70:30 as part of their manifesto. the PAD don't appear to be for anything, they're not for the people, they're not for democracy. . . .the only thing they do seem to be for is power for them. i'm aware that the current lot are no saints at all, but. . .

So the plan was bring the guys. Replace the police chief and remove the police batons. Let the boys walk kilometers unmolested with police around. Guys Start a ruck. Police not equipped to deal and no recalcitrant police chiefs around. Declare a state of emergency. The boys go home with a few baht in their pockets. Use the SoE act to use the military to smash the PAD demo and to take ASTV permanently off air. Stick all opponents in jail. In a few days no more SoE and all opposition to government in disarray.

Interesting and very easy to see plan. The question is will it work?

Can it work? You bet. The wild card is the potential for an explosion of violence. PAD has shown no inclination whatsoever of giving up without a fight. If somehow, the police with the backing of the military can peacefully take apart the protest piece by piece, they may succeed.

Effectively outlawing political parties is about as undemocratic a move as can be done. I would question whether or not this decision or enforcement thereof is by written law, or simply by edict and political will.

It's the law:

Ok. Fair enough. I was not aware of this.

From the Bangkok Post:

After the clash, Sondhi Limthongkul, a PAD leader, went up the stage and said the UDDT had attacked the PAD, causing a large number of wounded. He called for people around Bangkok including Chon Buri and Nakhon Pathom to come for PAD’s help. Mr Sondhi declared a civil war had started and that the protesters must be prepared to fight with everything they had in hands.

As all can see, cooler heads prevail... NOT! Now both sides, Samak and Sondhi, are about to get what they really wnted: to fight it out on the street.

We all wait now at which side the military will weigh in.

I'll hazard to say that soon--real soon--you will see soldiers in the streets of Bangkok. The lurking danger in Samak's State of Emergency call is that he may very well lose control of military, which at this time appears to backing him. But once armed soldiers are in the streets and in position, it won't take but a command for a coup.

And you know what, I think Samak has already accepted that, by effectively handing over the keys to the military. It's for him a face-saving way to step back, without stepping down.

It seems we will soon again have the dictatorship that PAD and the "Democrat" party craves.

Watching the live news conference from the Supreme Command, I am developing a healthy respect for Gen. Anupong. He is very calm and collected and patient, answers some tough questions, many repeated questions as well - without batting an eye.

He has repeated that he will stand with the people, and that he has no desire to take sides, and that there were no plans to call in military reinforcements.

edit-> brilliant... asked by a Thai reporter to explain in English, he calmly apologized and said that he did not want to be misinterpreted, and asked the reporter to kindly translate his earlier remarks - then a foreign reporter asked him a question in English, and he answered - again without batting an eye. His English is actually not bad at all.

Edited by onethailand