Bye Bye Kevin Keegan ...

Sunderland

Just read this.

Mike Ashley, the embattled owner of Newcastle United, could be offered an early opportunity to follow Kevin Keegan out of St James’ Park after it emerged that there is fresh interest in the Tyneside club from abroad.

It is becoming increasingly likely that Reliance Communications, the Indian-based telecoms giant, will seek formal talks with the Barclays Premier League club’s board with a view to a £220 million takeover.

However, of greater significance to those furious Newcastle supporters determined to oust Ashley is the revelation that Anil Ambani, the owner of Reliance, has identified Keegan as the only credible managerial candidate capable of moving the club forward.

Less than 24 hours after Keegan announced his departure from St James’ Park as manager for the second time, the odds on him being reappointed had fallen to 14-1. Ambani is a great believer in continuity and his representatives are aware of the standing of the so-called “Geordie Messiah” among the club’s supporters.

He was first linked with a buyout of Newcastle last month, but his representatives denied suggestions of a £260 million move. It is understood that Ambani baulked at that price because Newcastle had failed to strengthen the squad.

However, Reliance has followed developments at the club and the team that it assembled to investigate the viability of a bid believes that the time is right to test Ashley’s resolve.

Aware of the vitriol aimed at Newcastle’s owner by fans who feel that Keegan is an innocent victim of mismanagement, the Indians are ready to move fast with an offer that more realistically matches their assessment of the club’s value.

Ashley paid £130 million for Newcastle in July 2007 and wiped out debts estimated at £80 million, but rumours persisted that the businessman was seeking a sale after becoming disillusioned with his investment.

Highly placed sources suggest that Reliance and others were invited to bid in excess of £250 million for Newcastle this summer.

Those sources said yesterday that Ambani was ready to revive interest in his favourite Premier League club, with Keegan at the centre of an ambitious public-relations policy aimed to get disillusioned season ticket-holders and deserting businesses back on board.

They are talking about boycotting everything from to programs to replica shirts. I have been reading genuine supporters comments at their forum. Not a happy bunch.

That is a pointless exercise as most seats have been bought and paid for by season tickets.

Mike Ashley did save the club from doing a Leeds, though he's balls'd things up big time with his bizarre management team.

Mass protests to get rid of Dennis Wise and co is a better bet so they know not to come further North then that Yorkshire town of Middlesboro.

Here are Keegan and Wises unbiased CV's

Wise -

1990 - Involved in infamous 19 man brawl for Wimbledon vs West Ham

1993 - Reaches 41 disciplinary points for the season

1995 - Jailed for assaulting Taxi driver

1998 - 11 bookings in first half of season

1999 - Bites Real Mallorca defender

2001 - Sent off on away debut for Leicester city

2002 - Breaks Callum Davidsons Jaw after he tried to break up a separate fight Wise was having

2002 - Sacked as a player by Leicester City

2003 - Becomes Milwall Player-Manager

2004 - Sent off 4 minutes in to his playing debut!

2004 - Finishes career "high" 10th in league

2005 - Quits Millwall

2006 (May) - Becomes manager of Swindon

2006 (Sept) - Shows extreme loyalty as he quits Swindon to become manager of Leeds

2007 - Leeds relegated from Championship

2008 - Quits Leeds to become executive director of Newcastle

Ended career with a total of 13 red cards and hated by all the clubs and grounds he has ever visited (apart from Chelsea - who are separately hated by everyone else)

On the other hand - Kevin Keegan;

1973 - League Championship Winner

1973 - UEFA Cup Winner

1974 - FA Cup Winner

1976 - League Championship Winner

1976 - UEFA Cup Winner

1977 - League Championship Winner

1977 - European Cup Winner

1978 - European Footballer of the Year

1979 - German League Winner

1979 - European Football of the Year

1993 - First Division Title with Newcastle

1998 - Second Division Title with Fulham

1999 - Qualifies England for Euro 2000

2002 - First Division Title with Man City

Edited by billybonker

How funny, saw on Sky Sports half an hour ago, Kevin Keegan is 16-1 to become Newcastle United's new manager.....!!!!!

there long odds, 6-1 would be about right.quite amazingly the day after he took the job he was still 2nd favorite for the chop,same as the 1st day of the season curbs being 1st and boy were the bookies right,clever dicks.

redrus

So it seems that newcastle's problems are:

(1) the owner

(2) dennis wise

so get rid of 1 and 2.

but bringing back Keegan?when things get tough or dont go his way he'll always do a runner.Shearer?too scared of being a failure!maybe bring in a foreign manager is the answer.

I think they are two, of a multitude of problems.

Report: Keegan and Ashley hold talks

Updated: September 12, 2008, 9:48 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has reportedly met Kevin Keegan for talks in London tonight.

The subject of the talks was unknown, and it was unclear whether Keegan could be in line for a return to the club.

Keegan resigned as Newcastle manager on September 4, stating: 'It's my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want.'

Sky Sports News have reported Keegan met Ashley and that discussions took place before the meeting came to an end.

Keegan's departure led to a backlash from supporters against the Newcastle board, and specifically owner Mike Ashley and executive director of football Dennis Wise.

Protests have been planned ahead of tomorrow's Barclays Premier League match against Hull at St James' Park.

Keegan may have to pay compensation to Newcastle for leaving his post after less than eight months, and discussions over that issue could also have prompted a meeting with Ashley.

Keegan made a celebrated return to Newcastle in January when he replaced Sam Allardyce, whose reign at the club had been short and unsuccessful.

Although his team struggled in his opening games, Keegan had Newcastle playing attractive football towards the end of the season and an impressive run of results saw them pull well clear of relegation danger.

Hopes for this season were high, and the signings of players including Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez appeared to strengthen Keegan's squad.

However the dealings in the final week of the transfer window left Keegan dispirited and led to his departure.

Keegan's assistant Terry McDermott and reserve team coach Adam Sadler have also left the club this week.

McDermott had been taking first-team coaching since Keegan's position at the club were first cast into doubt on September 2.

McDermott had a long coaching association with the club dating back to Keegan's first stint in charge in 1992.

Tomorrow's match will provide the first real focal point for a mass demonstration by supporters and the city's police chiefs are preparing for a large-scale operation.

Some supporters are expected to boycott the fixture, while others are set to march in protest against the board.

Newcastle captain Michael Owen has insisted he and his team-mates cannot afford to be distracted by events off the pitch as they attempt to collect three vital points.

He said: 'Whatever the events of the past couple of weeks off the field, all the players here are proper professionals, we are all paid to do a job, and we have to go out and continue to do that job.

'The only thing the players can do is play to their best and get good results for the club, and we have to focus on doing that.'

Owen added in his programme notes: 'We are all in it together, we all have to pull together and we all want the best for this football club.'

Whether Ashley will be at St James' to take his usual seat in the directors' box tomorrow remains to be seen. If Keegan is present, it would represent a staggering turn of events.

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton had seemed likely to be at the helm for as many as three matches.

More than a week of speculation has seen a host of names put forward as manager but three -- those of Tottenham number two Gus Poyet, Blackburn boss Paul Ince and former France captain Didier Deschamps -- emerged at the top of the pile.

The apparent meeting between Keegan and Ashley tonight led some bookmakers to stop accepting bets on who would be the club's next manager, after a plunge on the former England boss.

One of Keegan's reasons for deciding to leave the club was his belief he had not been able to strengthen his squad enough to compete, and his fears appear to have been well-founded with injuries leaving it desperately thin.

James Milner's departure and Joey Barton's suspension apart, the Magpies have concerns over Habib Beye and Gutierrez, who suffered a shoulder injury on international duty with Argentina, while Jose Enrique and Damien Duff are also sidelined.

Geremi and Claudio Cacapa are available again, but on a day when fans have been urged to boycott club outlets, they could face an uncomfortable afternoon watching their team.

Newcastle old boy Peter Beardsley has urged the Toon Army to give their backing to the players.

'Whatever happens tomorrow, the most important thing is that the crowd gets behind the team and we get a win,' he said.

'Newcastle United the football club will always remain the most important thing.'

This from the BBC. Similar to the above but with some extra info.

Keegan & Ashley in surprise talks

Keegan said he resigned due to a lack of control over transfer activity

Former Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has met the club's owner Mike Ashley for talks just eight days after his surprise departure from St James' Park.

The League Managers' Association, which is in contact with Keegan, said the talks covered several issues, but did not reach a "satisfactory conclusion".

It was unclear whether the meeting was primarily to discuss a possible return or negotiate terms of Keegan's exit.

Keegan, 57, quit after eight months in his second spell as Magpies boss.

Nicknamed the 'Geordie Messiah', fans' favourite Keegan stepped down as manager on 4 September after stating he had no control over transfer dealings.

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard indicated Ashley may have gambled on being able to lure Keegan back at the talks in London on Friday.

"As I understand it the dice have been rolled by Mike Ashley, and they won't be rolled again with Kevin Keegan present," said Legard.

We appreciate things may be difficult for the fans at the moment

Newcastle coach Chris Houghton

He said it would require a radical restructure at the club for Keegan to consider returning.

"Kevin Keegan has to have overall charge of transfer policy and overall charge of first-team affairs. In that sense the talks were doomed," added Legard.

Keegan's contract with the club is thought to have included a clause that whichever party broke it would owe the other £2m in compensation.

It has been suggested Keegan could try to counter this by pursuing a claim for constructive dismissal.

When news of Friday's meeting broke, some bookmakers responded by suspending betting on Keegan taking over as the next manager.

Protests by supporters followed Keegan's resignation, with some laying the blame on Ashley and executive director for football Dennis Wise, who is believed to be largely responsible for transfer dealings.

And supporters angry at his departure and Ashley's running of the club are due to stage demonstrations before, during and after the home game against Hull City on Saturday.

As many as five separate demonstrations may take place in Newcastle city centre on Saturday.

Northumbria Police say extra officers will be on duty and have urged fans to vent their frustration peacefully.

606: DEBATE

I'd love to think that Ashley is backing down and giving Kevin the kind of control that any manager should have over a club

NuFc4ever

Coach Chris Hughton has been placed in charge for the visit of Hull and has appealed to supporters to get behind Newcastle's players.

"We appreciate things may be difficult for the fans at the moment," said Hughton.

"But one thing Newcastle supporters are renowned for is their support of the team."

Following Keegan's departure Newcastle issued a statement insisting that Keegan was fully aware of his role within the club's management structure.

Keegan quit a day after West Ham boss Alan Curbishley resigned, also unhappy over his club's transfer policy.

On Friday, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said they "did the right thing" by leaving.

"You must have your pride and you must have control," said Ferguson.

Newcastle have yet to comment on the talks between Ashley and Keegan.

Poor old Newcastle ... it really is turning into Kevin Keegan's Soccer Circus.

This turn of events is bizarre especially as it is played out in public holding all concerned up to ridicule. Ashley knows that the fans will be going ballistic this weekend and who in their right mind would want the job with the current structure.

The most worrying thing for me isn't Ashley and Wise controlling the club, or Kevin Keegan's dispirited feelings. The most worrying thing is the performance on the field if yesterday is anything to go by. Newcastle deserved to lose to a very ordinary looking Hull. The whole performance was flat. There was absolutely no creativity from the midfield and as for Shola Ameobi :o What a complete waste of space!

It looks like its going to be another season of doom and gloom. :D

Surely if Dennis Wise had an ounce of decency in him he would resign so the club can take one small step forward, there would be a riot if the pensioner beating thug put a foot anywhere near St. James Park, you cant do a job when it is impossible to go to your place of work.

The gobby midget cockney is hanging around for the big pay off.

Edited by spiderman2

I'll be keeping my Newcastle shirt on.

As for the current crisis, maybe this is the all time low they need to reach before things really do get better.

If Ashley thinks the offer from the Arabs was bad he should have sorted things out earlier and sold when the good offers were on the table.

Good on the Toon fans for hurting Ashley in the pocket.

Here's looking to better times when the A holes have gone.

I'll be keeping my Newcastle shirt on.

As for the current crisis, maybe this is the all time low they need to reach before things really do get better.

Despite having some good players were playing like relegation certainty's so IMO they can still sink a lot lower. We need Spiderman, Beye and Obi back, Nzogbia isnt the kind of player id want in the trenches with me sooner he clears off the better.

I can understand not liking Wise, but can't understand the ill feeling towards Ashley. He more or less saved the club from sliding into deep shit and put more time and money into the club than anyone else was willing to. But because Keegan had his usual sulk, the fans turned against him. He's the best thing that's happened to Newcastle for a long time and you're going to lose him because he won't let Keegan squander his millions on has beens.

Have Newcastle never heard of the Nigerian scams ?

The club will be on ebay next week :o

hehe. got a good email this morning as it goes:

To: [email protected]

Subject: Attention lucky winner

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 9:00:00

Dear Mr Ashley. Greetings. Firstly, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make anyone apprehensive and worried, I assure you that all will be well at the end of the day.

Let me start by introducing myself to you. It may surprise you to receive this email from me, since there was no previous correspondence between us. I am the representative of a Nigerian Consortium. My purpose in contacting you is to help secure the football club you are in the process of running into the ground. My clients have £400m (or £480m, or £350m, depending on which paper you read) in an account at a Bank.

This Bank has issued me a notice to contact anyone in possession of a) a football club and :D a creeping sense of panic and desperation. Hence I am contacting you with regards to ensuring a happy and amenable swap. Just send us your bank details and football club and we will deposit £400m (or £480m, or £350m, depending on etc and so on) into your account. In return, you must give up this ridiculous notion of hiring Kenny Dalglish, Terry Venables or David O'Leary and, instead, give Newcastle hero Kevin Keegan his job back. We have a further £75m to deposit in his account so he can blow it on tat like he did at Manchester City. Oh, and he has to sign Yakubu, 'cos he's Nigerian.

If you wish to achieve this goal with me, kindly get back to me on my private email address: [email protected].

Regards

Nigerian Consortium

I can understand not liking Wise, but can't understand the ill feeling towards Ashley. He more or less saved the club from sliding into deep shit and put more time and money into the club than anyone else was willing to. But because Keegan had his usual sulk, the fans turned against him. He's the best thing that's happened to Newcastle for a long time and you're going to lose him because he won't let Keegan squander his millions on has beens.

Keegan was told he had control of player recruitment for the first team, then Dennis Wise took control over this and bought players without Keegans consent, IMO this wasnt a sulk he had a genuine right to walk away as if the players dont impress he'll take the blame. The article that Keegan wanted all them superstars was leaked by Wise, Jiminez and was probaly b0110x

I think Ashley has had a major over reaction against him, but he shouldnt have got his mates who have no experience in running a football club doing so from London and on a PT basis, theyve sold Milner and not replaced him, how about bringing a player in for Milner then selling him, looks as if we need him now with all these injuries. - http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_pre...njury_table.php

Why was Michael Owens contract offer released to the press? a publicity stunt maybe, how about getting him to sign a contract then releasing it to the press, instead of trying to force a true professional by media.

Why cant they get Terry Venables then release his signature to the press instead of creating anohter mess by telling the press about the meetings only to be turned down by him 24 hours later.

Why couldnt they manage to sell Shola Amoebi when plenty of teams wanted him, before he got his monthly injury, this guy is as bad a player as you can get in any league.

Why have we got the smallest squad in the Premier League after 3 transfer windows of Ashley.

Ashley as good as a businessman as he must be, just doesnt seem to have a clue about running a football club.

To be fair to Ashley, when he first took over things looked positive and he did wipe out a lot of our debts. Then the credit crunch happened and from what I read Ashley lost a lot of money. It became more and more evident as time progressed that he was wanting out of Newcastle and when the fans turned on him that was the green light for him to put the club up for sale. I think most people wouldn't begrudge him if he was to get his money back on his investment, but he is wanting to make a profit on the sale of NUFC. The inflated price will put of most prospective investors.

Looking at the players recruited by Wise and Jimenez, in my opinion they aren't any better than the players that they replaced. I know it's still early days but for the money that was spent on Coloccini, Xisco etc., surely there must have been better players available.

The club are in turmoil at the moment. I just hope that over the next few weeks that we don't get too far adrift at the bottom. With Martins being out injured and Joe Kinnear as temporary manager for the upcoming fixtures, it's safe to say that we won't win many games. Thankfully teams such as Stoke, WBA, Hull, Bolton, Blackburn and dare I say it Tottenham don't look that strong either. If we can keep up with them, then hopefully the mess will be sorted out and our new owners and management could lead us to the dizzy heights of mid-table come May.

coloccini's good, very good in fact and gutierrez looks a player. not sure about xisco.

ashley made some really stupid mistakes really. not completing the due diligence, appointing keegan, appointing wise, trying to be one of the fans etc. he's just a bit out of his depth really.

Coloccini may well be good but he is playing alongside Steven Taylor so that makes him look average. Spiderman impressed in his first couple of games but then got injured playing for Argentina.

Couldnt agree more about Taylor no matter how many of his Churchill esq speeches he makes, he has never had more then 2 good games on the bounce, That was a disgrace the other night v Spuds.

I just cant see how we can beat Blakcburn in at 3pm today, not long to find out if im wrong, it can be viewed on the following link - http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=...amp;part=sports

The second half performance wasn't too bad but it was too little too late as we were 2-0 down by half time.

What terrible defending by both Collicini and Taylor maybe they were trying to out do each other.

The thing is weve had no midfield to protect the defence for years and its just the same now, Butt's 5 seasons past being a decent player. I'l give Duff some credit he is about the only one he seems to want to put some effort in.

Id sooner Ashley started from scratch now by getting rid of Wise etc... as opposed to getting some Nigerians, South Africans, Arabs to buy the club as much as he's fcuked up and by god he's made mistakes like no other chairmen before......but i believe he does have the best interests of the club at heart and its better the devil you know.

Id sooner be crap with some integrity (if any can be salvaged) then to be like Chelsea or what Man City are about to become.

What terrible defending by both Collicini and Taylor maybe they were trying to out do each other.

The thing is weve had no midfield to protect the defence for years and its just the same now, Butt's 5 seasons past being a decent player. I'l give Duff some credit he is about the only one he seems to want to put some effort in.

Id sooner Ashley started from scratch now by getting rid of Wise etc... as opposed to getting some Nigerians, South Africans, Arabs to buy the club as much as he's fcuked up and by god he's made mistakes like no other chairmen before......but i believe he does have the best interests of the club at heart and its better the devil you know.

Id sooner be crap with some integrity (if any can be salvaged) then to be like Chelsea or what Man City are about to become.

don't really agree that ashley has the best interests of the club at heart, or else why is he looking to make a whopping profit from the sale? think football lost its integrity some time ago and will struggle to ever get it back.