Best Visa Option

What is my best visa option?

I am too young for a retirement visa. I have been married to my Thai wife for 7 years. I have 2 English sons by my ex-wife who are attending school in Thailand on ed visas. I work overseas and have my salary paid into my Thai bank account so monthly income is not a problem. I don’t want to go back to the UK every year on a set date. I almost certainly wont be available for 90 day reporting.

I only get 2 weeks leave every 3 months at the moment so I have been flying in and out on 30 day stamps for the last 2 years but I am about to change companies and will be home a lot more often.

In your situation, your best option for frequent trips to Thailand is the multiple-entry non-immigrant visa type O, for which you can apply at the Thai embassy or consulate in the country where you work.

--

Maestro

Based on what others have reported, I would be somewhat doubtful as to the OP's chances of getting the one-year Non-O outside of his home country.

I would recommend getting the Non-O (whichever type you can get) and applying for extension of stay based on marriage. So long as you are not in-country over 90 days at a shot, the reporting becomes a non-issue. The only downside would be the yearly renewal...you would have to make your application for extension in person within 30 days of your expiry date, then report for the follow-up 30 days later.

If you are fortunate enough to get the one-year multi-entry Non-O, then you have put this off for 11 months. In the case that they give you a 90-day single-entry Non-O, you can get a Re-Entry Permit if you have to leave again before that 90 days is up...then come back with about a month left and apply for the extension of stay.

Based on what others have reported, I would be somewhat doubtful as to the OP's chances of getting the one-year Non-O outside of his home country...

I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. First, we don’t know in what country he lives. Second, those married to a Thai wife and having difficulty getting a multiple-entry non-O are foreigners who live permanently in Thailand and go to a neighbouring country to apply for the visa. This is not the case with the OP; his is a classical case for the multiple-entry non-O.

--

Maestro

In your situation, your best option for frequent trips to Thailand is the multiple-entry non-immigrant visa type O, for which you can apply at the Thai embassy or consulate in the country where you work.

--

Maestro

if he isn't adverse to paying tax on his income then he could just get the non-0 extended and get a re-entry permit ... and never have to deal with visas again (he's married with over 40k monthly)

No tax due in Thailand for income earned outside Thailand when extending stay based on income.

For the OP, the problem with the marriage extension is most likely that he cannot be sure to be in Thailand for minimum 30 days at about the same time each year, ie starting during the last 30 days of his extension validity. Not sure if the same procedure applies to dependent extension, but probably does.

--

Maestro

No tax due in Thailand for income earned outside Thailand when extending stay based on income.

For the OP, the problem with the marriage extension is most likely that he cannot be sure to be in Thailand for minimum 30 days at about the same time each year, ie starting during the last 30 days of his extension validity. Not sure if the same procedure applies to dependent extension, but probably does.

--

Maestro

That would be a potential show-stopper...but he could make a trip, do the application, go work again, come back 27 or 28 days later, make his report date, go again.

Since he would have plenty of lead time to schedule, it should be do-able.

He certainly has some options.

What have you been doing up to this point?

With your new job, how often to you anticipate visiting Thailand, and how long on each visit?

I have been flying in and out on 30 day entry stamps

I will be home for 2 weeks ever 3 months plus a long weekend inbetween and may manage over a month over the xmas period's

Based on what others have reported, I would be somewhat doubtful as to the OP's chances of getting the one-year Non-O outside of his home country...

I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. First, we don’t know in what country he lives. Second, those married to a Thai wife and having difficulty getting a multiple-entry non-O are foreigners who live permanently in Thailand and go to a neighbouring country to apply for the visa. This is not the case with the OP; his is a classical case for the multiple-entry non-O.

--

Maestro

I work in India

Thanks for all the replys. At the moment I am thinking of flying back to the UK and getting a Non O from Hull. I may not be able to fly back to renew it when renewal is due so would I be ok flying in and out again on 30 day entry stamps again untill I had a chance to return to the UK?

You do not have to go to the UK. Email the consulates in Oz and they will tell you the rules. I did a while back and perhaps 3 from 4 said no problem with only a letter and some documentation.

I have another solution.

Presuming you are a UK passport holder.

Apply for a second passport. No problem in the UK especially when travelling to places like India on business. Then have one passport sne to the UK each year to get your visa.

Failing the two pasport routes, courier your passport to someone in the UK from India and have the visa issued then couriered back to you before you return to Thailand. Search for many threads on this.

I work in India

Have you ever tried to get a multiple-entry non-O visa from a consulate in India for the purpose making periodic visits to your wife and children in Thailand? You are the ideal candidate for this type of visa.

--

Maestro

I work in India

Have you ever tried to get a multiple-entry non-O visa from a consulate in India for the purpose making periodic visits to your wife and children in Thailand? You are the ideal candidate for this type of visa.

--

Maestro

Afraid not because I work up in kashmir and its a hel_l of a trip to delhi. My next project is near hyderabad which has no consulate or embassy. Its a good idea though and will make enquireys. If it can be done in a day it would be worth the hassle but I would hate to spend more than a day in delhi or mumbai

You do not have to go to the UK. Email the consulates in Oz and they will tell you the rules. I did a while back and perhaps 3 from 4 said no problem with only a letter and some documentation.

I have another solution.

Presuming you are a UK passport holder.

Apply for a second passport. No problem in the UK especially when travelling to places like India on business. Then have one passport sne to the UK each year to get your visa.

Failing the two pasport routes, courier your passport to someone in the UK from India and have the visa issued then couriered back to you before you return to Thailand. Search for many threads on this.

I have been meaning to get round to having a second passport as mine is always being sent off for visa's and residential permits. Can I apply for a second passport at the british embassy in BKK

I am too young for a retirement visa. I have been married to my Thai wife for 7 years. I have 2 English sons by my ex-wife who are attending school in Thailand on ed visas. I work overseas and have my salary paid into my Thai bank account so monthly income is not a problem. I don’t want to go back to the UK every year on a set date. I almost certainly wont be available for 90 day reporting.

I only get 2 weeks leave every 3 months at the moment so I have been flying in and out on 30 day stamps for the last 2 years but I am about to change companies and will be home a lot more often.

May I suggest you check this web site: thaivisa.com, yes this one you are currently read it give info on all types of visa and what is require to apply for each visa. Sure you can find one to fit your needs. :o:D

Edited by BigSnake

Have you ever tried to get a multiple-entry non-O visa from a consulate in India...

Afraid not because I work up in kashmir and its a hel_l of a trip to delhi.

Call them and ask if it can be done by mail. I’m confident it will be possible.

However, even then it is a good idea for you to get a second passport, seeing that yours gets sent around a lot for one permit or another. I guess, though, that you would have to apply for it at the British embassy in your country of residence, ie India. Nevertheless, no harm in asking the embassy in Bangkok about it, but two weeks will be a little tight for a new passport.

--

Maestro

May I suggest you check this web site: thaivisa.com, yes this one you are currently read it give info on all types of visa and what is require to apply for each visa. Sure you can find one to fit your needs. :o:D

My net access is via a sat-link and takes ages to open each web page so searching through this site would take forever. Thanks anyway for your input snake :D