Samak Will Announce Resignation Thursday Morning?

george

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours spread Samak will announce resignation Thursday morning

BANGKOK: -- Rumours had it throughout the day that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej was granted an audience with His Majesty the King to inform His Majesty of his intention to resign.

The rumours said Samak had booked time slot of Radio Thailand at 7:30 am to announce his resignation.

-- The Nation 2008-09-03

For the nation to be printing this kind of "rumour" in light of the situation in Bangkok, must go down as some of the most irresponsible reporting I have ever seen in my life. Only 10 hours to go, lets hope the mob is living in a goldfish bowl and doesn't hear it too.

Edited by Thai at Heart

That's a load of rubbish, just seen samak on BBC World News, saying he will never stand off or resign, watch the video here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7595473.stm

Posted at 08.45 GMT, ie. 15.45 Bangkok time. So around five hours before the Nation published its rumour story.

Plenty of time for him to have changed his mind.

Edited by bkkbaz

That's a load of rubbish, just seen samak on BBC World News, saying he will never stand off or resign, watch the video here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7595473.stm

That BBC article was posted at 08:45 GMT, Wednesday, 3 September 2008 09:45 UK. (3:45PM Thai Time)

Things have changed since then. I strongly believe he will quit tomorrow morning.

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

I would take anything ripped from The Nation's website with a grain of salt. I worked there for two years after many years as an investigative reporter in the U.S. They're standards for writing articles are quite low. I had many run-ins with reporters trying to write one-source stories based on an interview with an "anonymous" source. The paper is getting worse these days having laid off the majority of its foreign editors and pared down the local staff to a skeleton crew.

Sir - Their standards.............not "They're standards"........

Who are we to talk about standards, Sir? And you worked there for two years? Did you learn much?

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

If it is true?

Why not reported on Thai TV?

Is that a serious question?

Really serious things are normally NOT reported on Thai TV, and then only if it is impossible to withold.

Or maybe the spin doctors were not finished, yet?

:o

Rumours spread Samak will announce resignation Thursday morning

BANGKOK: -- Rumours had it throughout the day that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej was granted an audience with His Majesty the King to inform His Majesty of his intention to resign.

The rumours said Samak had booked time slot of Radio Thailand at 7:30 am to announce his resignation.

-- The Nation 2008-09-03

Oh well PPP is out PAD is in!!!

Burma and Laos are run by dictatorships, why not Thailand??? The place is probably getting to progressive for its own good anyway, wind back the clock 30 years, bring on the good old days.

The paper is getting worse these days having laid off the majority of its foreign editors and pared down the local staff to a skeleton crew.

Just look at the lousy english on the website (obviously the locals think they know enough english and don;t need a native speaker editor). My m6's could pick up those errors!

And whats with the Sunday nations? its down to about 6 pages long! I'll be cancelling my membership at the end of this cycle.

I hope so.

The only thing he has is a big mouth.

He cant control his party, he cant control the people, he can't control the country.

Just a bungling incompetent with a big mouth and f all leadership skills.

What a pathetic excuse for a prime minister.

Truly amazing millions voted for him. I hope they all learned their lesson.

But he was democratically elected and by a sizeable majority. Who is going to want to be PM now, other than an even worse big mouth who can't... etc. The main loser out of this farce will be democracy in Thailand because even with more than half the electorate behind his government Samak can't stay in power, as Thaksin couldn't before him.

That is just not true he was really NOT democratically elected as it is not democracy with vote buying (yes I have first hand knowledge this IS true through my wife's family and friends) and I am sure other vote rigging. So how can any western country or person say they are democratically elected, that is rubbish and really what the whole problem here is !! Most folk including myself will recognise any PROPERLY Elected governemetn even if it is completely politically opposed to ones own view as the TRUE will of the people should always prevail.

As I keep saying the only way I can see that you will have honest and true democracy is if the next election is properly monitored by an external (i.e. non Thai) independent large group of observers recognised by the UN or similar outfit, and then any vote buying or rigging is punishable by long jail sentences for the guilty parties and a life time ban from politics. No true democratic person ir group can argue against that, it is just the practicality of actually doing it that needs seriously addressing.

Perhaps we should also see some true party of the people with ordinary working Thai folk, who are capable of doing the job, standing for election too. Until then the circle will just continue with one lot of corruption after another with dubiously elected Governments quite rightly not being recognised by the majority of the general public and IMHO there will never then be a break from the elite ruling class continuing to suppress the ordinary working Thai folk in this country. Only my personal suggestion as I am a guest here and live happily just keeping my head down, so up to the Thai people to recognise some sense in this and do something about it. I just hope they do for the future prosperity of Thailand and its people.

Hopefully its just a rumour - Thailand doesn't need Samak, but it needs the govt to stand up and squash the PAD for this political blackmail. If he resigns this definitely isn't good for Thailand and then we will repeat the same rubbish again and again.

Britmaverick, I am afraid your iron Lady had to much influence on your thoughts and verbal diarrhoe.

In a normal democracy the government of the day does not squash things.

The government of the day listens to the minority.

The government of the day makes compromises.

The government of the day should be there for all the people, not only the majority.

The government of the day should not condone, organise or instignate violence to its opponents (Udon Thani, Krung Thep).

However, you are aware of the fact that the number of votes for the PAD was higher, albeit slightly, as the number of votes for the PPP?

So maybe, oh maybe, the PPP had to be squashed, seeing that they had less votes?

Whatever one can say, I think Mr Samak was and probably is rather restrained in his way of handling the situation, bar the few violent explosions of his proponents. and I must honour him for that.

Of course the whole situation is bad for Thailand, of course it will be very difficult going.

But, I guess, and hope, that eventually the people of Thailand will have a working democracy.

With honest politicians!

JOKE!

Hopefully its just a rumour - Thailand doesn't need Samak, but it needs the govt to stand up and squash the PAD for this political blackmail. If he resigns this definitely isn't good for Thailand and then we will repeat the same rubbish again and again.

Too True.

Not good to have a power vacuum, with PAD or anybody else just walking in to power.

A Controlled, Legitimate, Accountable government must be the aim.

I still cannot see an easy way to attain this.

But he was democratically elected and by a sizeable majority. Who is going to want to be PM now, other than an even worse big mouth who can't... etc. The main loser out of this farce will be democracy in Thailand because even with more than half the electorate behind his government Samak can't stay in power, as Thaksin couldn't before him.

Getting elected means you get a seat in Parliament, it doesn't mean you get to be Prime Minister - that's up to your party and coalition buddies to decide. PAD wants him to stand down as Prime Minister, they didn't say 'booted out of parliament' (though any sane person would welcome it).

My pick is that Samak will resign in the morning, I have a very reliable source.

I was talking to the person that will be taking his place and he is more than ready for the task.

Samak will announce that he is stepping down tomorrow morning and Kermit the Frog will be taking his place as the PM of Thailand!

Thailands Muppet show will be run by Kermit the Frog, Fozzy Bear and friends as of 9am tomorrow morning.

Yippie!!!

1- Why would he announce his resignation on radio only?

2- Is he going abroad?

3- Address the nation at 7: 30 am?

4- Tej resigns in a hurry.

Something definitely going on.

Are they planning on removing the PAD tonight and arresting all 9 leaders?

Edited by Tony Clifton

People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.

The Thai populace is fairly well educated. Both the folks in the rural villages and the folks in the urban slums tend to be literate and follow the news both in the newspapers and other media. Now I am not one to argue that the Thai education system is not in need of improvement. But just because the rural folks and the urban poor have different priorities than do those higher up the economic scale, including yourself, they are not dumb. And one must ask why those who you incorrectly infer to be superior to the "uneducated masses" (a most slippery slope indeed) would want to support Sondhi, who is no different than Thaksin, and by my perspective, being socially much closer to the rural poor than to the Bangkok middle class, far more frightening than Thaksin in the long run.

"it's true" "it's not true"

let's see....

I'm gonna start a poll/vote to see whether he resigns in the morning or not.

Deadline for votes; 7am

General topics?

There is nothing in reuters about this or anywhere else for that fact.

It appears to be just rumour and out and out speculation.

Take it with a pinch of salt.

CY

People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.

Isn't this the point however - in the absence of any party developing these kind of policies it is quite right that the party that wins should be the party that supports the most benefit for the large majority of Thai's. This is exactly the point in that financially they are probably serveed best by the corrupt who will at least pay them to vote! The only government that will be acceptable and elected democratically is one that truely gives respect to a fisherman as they would to a business tycoon in Bangkok!

That is just not true he was really NOT democratically elected as it is not democracy with vote buying (yes I have first hand knowledge this IS true through my wife's family and friends) and I am sure other vote rigging. So how can any western country or person say they are democratically elected, that is rubbish and really what the whole problem here is !! Most folk including myself will recognise any PROPERLY Elected governemetn even if it is completely politically opposed to ones own view as the TRUE will of the people should always prevail.

There was vote buying from all sides. There was an editorial in the bangkok post or nation (or somewhere similar) this week about it. The system works too well for the PAD's liking. People get money from all sides, so then they decide to just vote for whoever they like anyway. I personally know of a few places where it goes down like this.