You Not Only Need To Be Rich, You Need To Be Stupid Too !

skippybangkok

Personally, I prefer the watches those Indian looking fellas push on me when I am having a beer outdoors somewhere.

At least with these fake timepieces, I know if I buy one I am stupid. For the poofy hairs that go to these watch shows at Chidlom and the like and spend millions of baht on the latest greatest timeless timepiece, I wonder if they know that time is one thing not on their side.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread.

I buy my sunglasses from gas stations, my cloths from discount stores and never considered anything flashy...like Tyler Durden says... "The things you own end up owing you"

BUT, I prefer function over form, and when this watch came out I recognized the value...it could save my life some day...how much is your life worth...?

BreitlingEmergency.jpg

The Breitling Emergency version contains a radio transmitter for civil aviation use which broadcasts on the 121.5 MHz distress frequency and serves as a back-up for ELT-type airborne beacons. (For military users, Breitling has equipped the Emergency with a miniaturized transmitter operating on the 243 MHz military frequency.) Under normal conditions—flat terrain or calm seas—the signal can be picked up at a range of up to 90 nautical miles (167 km) by search aircraft flying at 20,000 feet (6,000 m). As of 1 February 2009, the Cospas-Sarsat Satellite System will no longer monitor the 121.5/243 MHz frequency; however, the signal transmitted by the Emergency was never strong enough to be picked up by satellite, and Breitling has announced that, as these frequencies will still be monitored by aviation, particularly during the localization phase of a rescue attempt, there are no plans to modify the signal's frequency.[3]

In an incident that demonstrates how the Emergency can be used to save lives, Reuters reports that two British pilots, Squadron Leader Steve Brooks and Flight Lieutenant Hugh Quentin-Smith, crashed their helicopter in Antarctica and were rescued after activating their Breitling Emergency transmitter watches. The two pilots were in their lifeboat when a Chilean Otter aircraft found them after homing in on signals from their watches. [4]

The Emergency is available for customers who do not hold a pilot's licence, but they must sign an agreement stating that they will bear the full costs of a rescue intervention should they trigger the distress beacon. The model was heavily advertised by the Breitling Orbiter 3—both Brian Jones and Bertrand PiccardEmergency. Also, Bear Grylls wears an Emergency with yellow face and rubber strap in many episodes of Man vs. Wild.

http://' target="_blank">

Interesting thread.

I buy my sunglasses from gas stations, my cloths from discount stores and never considered anything flashy...like Tyler Durden says... "The things you own end up owing you"

BUT, I prefer function over form, and when this watch came out I recognized the value...it could save my life some day...how much is your life worth...?

BreitlingEmergency.jpg

The Breitling Emergency version contains a radio transmitter for civil aviation use which broadcasts on the 121.5 MHz distress frequency and serves as a back-up for ELT-type airborne beacons. (For military users, Breitling has equipped the Emergency with a miniaturized transmitter operating on the 243 MHz military frequency.) Under normal conditions—flat terrain or calm seas—the signal can be picked up at a range of up to 90 nautical miles (167 km) by search aircraft flying at 20,000 feet (6,000 m). As of 1 February 2009, the Cospas-Sarsat Satellite System will no longer monitor the 121.5/243 MHz frequency; however, the signal transmitted by the Emergency was never strong enough to be picked up by satellite, and Breitling has announced that, as these frequencies will still be monitored by aviation, particularly during the localization phase of a rescue attempt, there are no plans to modify the signal's frequency.[3]

In an incident that demonstrates how the Emergency can be used to save lives, Reuters reports that two British pilots, Squadron Leader Steve Brooks and Flight Lieutenant Hugh Quentin-Smith, crashed their helicopter in Antarctica and were rescued after activating their Breitling Emergency transmitter watches. The two pilots were in their lifeboat when a Chilean Otter aircraft found them after homing in on signals from their watches. [4]

The Emergency is available for customers who do not hold a pilot's licence, but they must sign an agreement stating that they will bear the full costs of a rescue intervention should they trigger the distress beacon. The model was heavily advertised by the Breitling Orbiter 3—both Brian Jones and Bertrand PiccardEmergency. Also, Bear Grylls wears an Emergency with yellow face and rubber strap in many episodes of Man vs. Wild.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

I will pick one up the next time I am flying a helicopter. Failing that I will just use my blackberry to send out emergency sms.

I will pick one up the next time I am flying a helicopter. Failing that I will just use my blackberry to send out emergency sms.

Ah but what if you are allergic to fruit? :-)

Reality is yes, a 150b watch does the same function as a IWC.

A zegna suit does the same job as a Marks and Sparks one.

A pick up does the same job as a BMW X5.

And foie gras is much the same as dub bpet.

But at the end of the day, at a certain point in life, you earn enough that you can choose how you wish to spend it, and if someone wants to have a nice suit, watch, car, dinner etc - who are you to call them stupid?

After all, some people subscribe to the idea that the more money you make, the better you are.

That is why say gangster rap star Dr Dre is probably a better person than Gandhi.

And why many value the significant contribution to humanity by Mel Gibson as being simply better than Saint Francis of Assisi.

Plus why Paris Hilton is so much more relevant and important and stuff vs. Einstein, who had f&*k all cash innit.

At another certain point of wealth, where you already have the best watch, best dinner, best car, best houses, there ceases to be more utility from spending additional cash. You cannot spend another 1 million USD on a wine and get a better bottle. It is at this point, that not only do you end up being the best person ever, but that you must make a new decision on what to do with your wealth.

It is at this point, that you basically start using your wealth to F&*k everything up for everyone else.

I call it the Thaksin approach. :-)

Some of these watches look very nice...and i say to each his own, 100 baht or 500,000 baht whatever does it for you.

What i think is stupid.......are the silly millions of baht that they pay here for cars that you can get for a third of the price back home in blighty.

What i find funny here, people here dont seem to mind driving a car that cost more than what they call a home.

Why buy a watch? The sun comes up it's daytime, then it goes down 'n' it's nighttime again. Who needs a watch! :D

Totally agree

You guys work?

How you know when to get up and get to work?

Unless you are locals (ohhhhh, sorry I am late, very bad traffic).

:o:D

Why buy a watch? The sun comes up it's daytime, then it goes down 'n' it's nighttime again. Who needs a watch! :D

Totally agree

You guys work?

Mate, when you get as old as me you don't need a watch to wake up in the morning, it's automatic, as sad as that is, especially tomorrow morning after what I plan on consuming tonight.

Totally agree

You guys work?

Mate, when you get as old as me you don't need a watch to wake up in the morning, it's automatic, as sad as that is, especially tomorrow morning after what I plan on consuming tonight.

Hmmm, in that case. I kind of envy you there.

I guess the good thing is that there are always good stuff as well to look forward to later in life.

:D

Totally agree

You guys work?

Hmmm, in that case. I kind of envy you there.

I guess the good thing is that there are always good stuff as well to look forward to later in life.

:D

Speaking of the time, my casio (John Candy version, planes trains and automobiles) tells me it is almost time to go look at some heini and drink a few beers with a kin.

Thought the dearest watch in this exhibition is Piaget at 54,000,000 Baht.

When poor people eat a 10 Baht meal, it's sad to hear hi-so on tv say: "This bag costs only 200,000 Baht". Husband gets very itchy at the word only here.

Husband's workers might think he's stupid when he uses a Seiko 22,xxx Baht but he thinks it's reasonable. He says those buying these a-few-million-Baht watches are stupid. :o

Up to them to spend their own money.

Spending anything over US$ 200 on a watch is only for it jewelry (any precious stones or metals used) and huge marketing budgers. The timekeeping mechanisms (either quartz or mechanical) cost only a few dollars each for even such "prestige" watches like Rolex, Omega, Patek-Philippe.

Actually, the ultimate status symbol is NOT HAVING TO WEAR A WATCH (or not having a fancy multi-media phones) because one is already the "boss" or rich and is not at the beck and call of anyone and has no need to know the time in order to rush off to some meeting :o

Thought the dearest watch in this exhibition is Piaget at 54,000,000 Baht.

When poor people eat a 10 Baht meal, it's sad to hear hi-so on tv say: "This bag costs only 200,000 Baht". Husband gets very itchy at the word only here.

Husband's workers might think he's stupid when he uses a Seiko 22,xxx Baht but he thinks it's reasonable. He says those buying these a-few-million-Baht watches are stupid. :o

Up to them to spend their own money.

Know a guy who has a factory making plenty of $$, we had a drink one night, and we did a shuffle between his and my watch (same - except mine was from Mae Sai ) and the only way he could tell was turning them over and looking at the serial number. .......... since then he is a Mae Sai ( or where ever gets them from ) convert.

As for the nut case woman with her "the op cant afford a watch" - you must be a psychic. Hat off to you, and pls send me your 2nd hand cloths. You can locate me at the gutter on Suk Soi 17.

I've found, after wasting much time in shops and departure louges, that the more expensive watchs are the least attractive. When in Asia I like buying cheap copies and always check out the market stalls but, for example, have never seen a Rolex (copy) I would want to wear.

I have 3 watches, A 55 Year Old Omega Seamaster that was left to me over 20 years ago when my Grandfather died.

An Omega Speedmaster that I bought second hand yet immaculate in Tokyo for about 20,000 Baht, new was about 50,000 Baht and 60-70,000 Baht in SUV duty free.

Tissot Pro 100 that I bought at a 50% off sale in Zurich about 8 years ago for about 5,000 Baht.

All work fine but it's the Tissot I wear most of the time, my old Omega I don't like to wear too much in case It gets lost, as it's irreplacable. The Omega Speedmaster is not the sapphire crystal model hence it scratches very easily, hence I don't wear it too much.

The Tissot is very robust and being quartz it only needs opening every 4 - 5 years to replace a battery. it's the one I use 90% of the time.

Would I like to be in a financial position to pay 7,500,000 Baht for a watch, he-ll yea! :o

Would I like to be in a financial position to pay 7,500,000 Baht for a watch, he-ll yea! :D

But surely you wouldn't want to be that "stupid?" It takes a lot of stupidity to put yourself in that kind of financial situation if you're a self made person. Slightly less so if we're talking mostly inheritance and investments made by previous generations of your family (which believe me, takes some true stupidity to build and expand upon)... in which case we're talking about your stupid parents, grandparents, etc.

:o

Edited by Heng

Would I like to be in a financial position to pay 7,500,000 Baht for a watch, he-ll yea! :D

But surely you wouldn't want to be that "stupid?" It takes a lot of stupidity to put yourself in that kind of financial situation if you're a self made person. Slightly less so if we're talking mostly inheritance and investments made by previous generations of your family (which believe me, takes some true stupidity to build and expand upon)... in which case we're talking about your stupid parents, grandparents, etc.

:o

Yep, I bet the stupid guy that can afford to buy that watch and drive a 20'000'000 Baht car and live in a 100 Milliion Baht property wished he was as smart as the Farang English Teacher sweating his nuts off waiting for the Bus to go to his 30,000 Baht a month Job.

The same type of stupid people that think nothing of spending 40,000 Baht on a good meal with nice wine really envy's the smart Farang Teacher who survives on Boiled egg sandwiches, and splashes out for cheese slices on payday!

I wish I was so stupid, I'm mean I am stupid, but I ain't rich, so I'm not quite stupid enough.

Got to go, my Boiled eggs are ready. :D

Edited by Maigo6

I've found, after wasting much time in shops and departure louges, that the more expensive watchs are the least attractive.

Agree. They don't look nice to me either except some which look like jewelry. Too many functions. Too many tiny sub-watches. For the rest of my life, I can't be able to know what they are for and where the main thing to tell time is. :o

Well my Mr. teacup is a smart man, coz he bought me this $35 watch that can be WET for up to 30 mins. :D:o

I see so manny things wrong with this post. :D

Aren't U suppose to be taking a nap by now?

Yawn!!! Coff coff~~whats the time? anyone got a watch??? :D

Yes, it's TIME for you....to move along :D

Well my Mr. teacup is a smart man, coz he bought me this $35 watch that can be WET for up to 30 mins. :D:o

Yawn!!! Coff coff~~whats the time? anyone got a watch??? :(

Still lurking in the shadows I see. we should catch up on old times. But for now I have to go out and BOOST a Porsche Watch. :D

Yawn!!! Coff coff~~whats the time? anyone got a watch??? :P

Still lurking in the shadows I see. we should catch up on old times. But for now I have to go out and BOOST a Porsche Watch. :D

Errrrr......ummm.........Do I know you? :D

Don't tell me U r one of my ex BF? :( How do U know I'm over here?....hmm

Edited by teacup