An Ordinary Pack Of Playing Cards

Greenside

Sounds easy but people keep offering me packs of learning cards with the alphabet and pictures for teaching English. I just want a couple of normal packs as used in Vegas...

7-11's and many convenience stores have them but they are kept behind the counter.

Ahh.. that's the secret. Out of sight, out of mind :o

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Yes, it seems like I see them in every 7-11 I go into. I think they're relatively expensive, though. They have what looks like a tax seal on each pack, so I assume they're taxed pretty heavily. I think the justification for the high tax is because it's assumed that people will use them to gamble, so they must pay a "sin tax".

Edited by Beacher

That is exactly right. It is also worth noting that it is not legal to bring Playing Cards into Thailand.

Yes, it seems like I see them in every 7-11 I go into. I think they're relatively expensive, though. They have what looks like a tax seal on each pack, so I assume they're taxed pretty heavily. I think the justification for the high tax is because it's assumed that people will use them to gamble, so they must pay a "sin tax".

Chiang Mai Plastics - 120 B
Crisis over. Bought a pack from the guy who sells magic tricks at the weekend second hand market. It's cost me 350 baht.

I only paid 50 baht for the cards but my stepson seems to have an unnatural amount of luck at pontoon for a seven year old. Still, it's improving his mental arithmetic no end :o .

Crisis over. Bought a pack from the guy who sells magic tricks at the weekend second hand market. It's cost me 350 baht.

I only paid 50 baht for the cards but my stepson seems to have an unnatural amount of luck at pontoon for a seven year old. Still, it's improving his mental arithmetic no end :o .

Yes, It's too bad that Thais don't seem to realize that there are loads of cards games that do not involve gambling and are quite good at helping young learners to get good at doing quick mental math calulations. I grew up playing games like Cribbage, and I really believe it was helpful for "maths thinking". Not only that, but playing cards is also good for developing social skills through creating conversation opportunities, dealing with disappointment and learning sportsmanship (when one loses) as well as how to be a gracious winner (when one wins).

Card playing was an important part of my family activities when I was growing up, and no one in my family has any type of gambling addiction problems. I really feel it was a much healthier passtime than a non-stop diet of watching mindless TV shows or playing computer games, as is so common these days.

Are you under the impression that there was a nationwide vote on this?. Seems to be it was decided without the input of the common man.

Yes, It's too bad that Thais don't seem to realize that there are loads of cards games that do not involve gambling and are quite good at helping young learners to get good at doing quick mental math calulations. I grew up playing games like Cribbage, and I really believe it was helpful for "maths thinking". Not only that, but playing cards is also good for developing social skills through creating conversation opportunities, dealing with disappointment and learning sportsmanship (when one loses) as well as how to be a gracious winner (when one wins).

Card playing was an important part of my family activities when I was growing up, and no one in my family has any type of gambling addiction problems. I really feel it was a much healthier passtime than a non-stop diet of watching mindless TV shows or playing computer games, as is so common these days.

Are you under the impression that there was a nationwide vote on this?. Seems to be it was decided without the input of the common man.

Sorry lordfoul, I don't understand your reply at all!

Could you perhaps elaborate? Maybe it would help you if I explained why I said that bit that you highlighted. Whenever I've been holidaying in Thailand (with Western friends) and we've asked the front desk of a hotel or resort if they have any playing cards, the Thais behind the desk usually looked shocked and shake their heads vigorously while saying something like, "cannot -- cannot -- police come." I've tried to explain that we don't want them for gambling -- just to play a game, and they can't quite seem to understand that concept.

So, what the heck were you trying to say, anyway? Perhaps you've replied to the wrong thread. That's the only thing that makes sense to me because your reply sure doesn't.

Edited by Beacher

Because your statement "It's too bad that Thais don't seem to realize that there are loads of cards games that do not involve gambling" is incorrect. Thais in general do not feel that way. In fact it is very comon here to play cards with out gambling as it is probably common top play with gambling.

The hotels reaction to your request is not because that Thai Felt that you have to be gambling. They just do not want to take any chance with a government that is over reactive in regards to gambling or even potential gambling.

Could you perhaps elaborate? Maybe it would help you if I explained why I said that bit that you highlighted. Whenever I've been holidaying in Thailand (with Western friends) and we've asked the front desk of a hotel or resort if they have any playing cards, the Thais behind the desk usually looked shocked and shake their heads vigorously while saying something like, "cannot -- cannot -- police come." I've tried to explain that we don't want them for gambling -- just to play a game, and they can't quite seem to understand that concept.

So, what the heck were you trying to say, anyway? Perhaps you've replied to the wrong thread. That's the only thing that makes sense to me because you reply sure doesn't.

Because your statement "It's too bad that Thais don't seem to realize that there are loads of cards games that do not involve gambling" is incorrect. Thais in general do not feel that way. In fact it is very comon here to play cards with out gambling as it is probably common top play with gambling.

The hotels reaction to your request is not because that Thai Felt that you have to be gambling. They just do not want to take any chance with a government that is over reactive in regards to gambling or even potential gambling.

So, what the heck were you trying to say, anyway? Perhaps you've replied to the wrong thread. That's the only thing that makes sense to me because you reply sure doesn't.

That's news to me. I really have never seen Thais playing card games. Since you apparently know so much about this, could you please give me some examples of non-gambling card games Thais regularly play?

Could you give me a list of every Thai that feels you can not play cards without gambling?.

That's news to me. I really have never seen Thais playing card games. Since you apparently know so much about this, could you please give me some examples of non-gambling card games Thais regularly play?

Could you give me a list of every Thai that feels you can not play cards without gambling?.

lordfoul, it appears that your simply looking for an argument today. My request is obviously a lot more practical than yours. Sorry, but I refuse to play your little game.

OK, you win.

lordfoul, it appears that your simply looking for an argument today. My request is obviously a lot more practical than yours. Sorry, but I refuse to play your little game.