Thai/american Dual Citizenship

My wife is a Thai citizen and will soon be a U.S. citizen. I understand that she always uses her U.S. passport when entering and leaving the United States. I also understand that she uses her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. She is concerned because every time she leaves Thailand, the Thai immigration officers ask to see her visa to wherever she's going. Our question is, what does she say to the immigration officer when asked for the visa next time? Does she show her U.S. passport? What has your experience been?

My wife is a Thai citizen and will soon be a U.S. citizen. I understand that she always uses her U.S. passport when entering and leaving the United States. I also understand that she uses her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. She is concerned because every time she leaves Thailand, the Thai immigration officers ask to see her visa to wherever she's going. Our question is, what does she say to the immigration officer when asked for the visa next time? Does she show her U.S. passport? What has your experience been?

The airline should ask the same Q, the A to which is, just show her U.S. passport. Both the airlines and Thai immigration are quite familiar with this perceived non-problem.

Oh, yes, and congrats on the new dual citizenship!

Mac

I believe it is the check-in staff at the airport, not Thai immigration, who ask her that question every time and she should always present also her US passport to explain why she needs no visa for the USA.

--

Maestro

I believe it is the check-in staff at the airport, not Thai immigration, who ask her that question every time and she should always present also her US passport to explain why she needs no visa for the USA.

--

Maestro

My wife has always been asked for her visa by Thai immigration when traveling to the USA. Just this past August they did it again and it had her worried because she will soon be a US citizen and have 2 passports. She's a little scared to show Thai immigration her US passport when leaving, thinking they will confiscate it or do something to make her Thai citizenship difficult.

Immigration IS asking for visa proof before departure, as well as the airlines.

Regards,

Martian

Martian, I have a little difficulty following what you are saying. Your wife left Thailand with her Thai passport, which is the only passport she has at the moment and which had a visa for the USA in it. Why would the immigration officer have to ask for her visa when he has her passport on his desk and can see it right there?

In future, once your wife has dual nationality, she need not worry. Even if she needs to show her US passport to the immigration officer for confirmation that she needs no visa for the USA there is no risk whatsoever that her US passport will be confiscated. She should verify, however, that the officer put the exit stamp in the correct, ie Thai, passport when she gets the two passports back from the officer.

--

Maestro

--

Maestro

My wife said that the last 3 times she's left Thailand, she had to show her ticket and visa to the Thai immigration officer after already checking in with the airline. I figured it wouldn't be a problem as you said, but I wanted to hear from those that have experience so she isn't worried about it. Thanks for the post!

Thai immigration don't have the right to confiscate her passport (unless she's a criminal, I guess). Otherwise, when they ask for her visa all she has to do is show them her U.S. passport and they will understand that she doesn't need a visa and all should be fine. She should just show Thai passport when leaving and entering Thailand and if they ask for other passport then show them. One person did report on this forum that their wife had some problem and the Thai staff at the immigration checkpoint evidently said dual citizenship is not allowed but that's because the Thai lady was showing her U.S. passport to get into Thailand instead of showing her Thai passport first. That was probably the reason for the problems and all in the know said that the immigration officer was incorrect as dual nationality is not prohibited. Not encouraged, but tolerated.

... One person did report on this forum that their wife had some problem and the Thai staff at the immigration checkpoint evidently said dual citizenship is not allowed ...

Does anyone know for sure if Dual US / Thai citizenship is legal or not? -- Tex

...Does anyone know for sure if Dual US / Thai citizenship is legal or not? -- Tex

There is no law that says it is not allowed. Does that make it legal enough for you? Otherwise, you need a lawyer.

--

Maestro

...Does anyone know for sure if Dual US / Thai citizenship is legal or not? -- Tex

There is no law that says it is not allowed. Does that make it legal enough for you? Otherwise, you need a lawyer.

--

Maestro

I contacted 16 Thai immigration lawyers and got about 16 different answers but most agree with what you just said. I also found this, but I don't know if it is still law. Section 13 seems pretty clear.

I contacted 16 Thai immigration lawyers and got about 16 different answers but most agree with what you just said. I also found this, but I don't know if it is still law. Section 13 seems pretty clear.

Important words in bold:-

Section 13.

A woman of Thai nationality who marries an alien and may acquire the nationality of her husband according to the nationality law of her husband, shall, if she desires to renounce Thai nationality, make a declaration of her intention before the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

Edited by Crossy

Hi Group,

A lawyer who works with another lawyer who runs the Thai Consulatehere in Houston gave me this link:

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/worldsummary.html (Scroll down and select Thailand)

which says:

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED.

Exceptions: Child born abroad to Thai parents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, person must choose which citizenship to retain.

A Thai woman who marries a foreign national and acquires her husband's citizenship has technically lost her Thai citizenship. Should the marriage end in death or divorce, the Thai national woman could regain her Thai citizenship. This is an unofficial dual citizenship designed to protect female Thai nationals.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:

VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is permitted by Thai law. Contact the Embassy for details and proper paperwork. If a person of Thai nationality who was born of an alien father and has acquired the nationality of their father desires to retain the other nationality, they must renounce Thai nationality within one year after attaining the age of twenty years.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Thai citizenship: Person voluntarily acquires foreign citizenship. When there exist circumstances suitable for maintaining the security or interests of the State, the government is empowered to revoke Thai nationality of a person who had acquired Thai nationality through naturalization.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

Embassy of Thailand Consular Section 1024 Wisconsin Ave., NW Washington, DC 20007

Embassy/Consular Telephone: 202-944-3600 Fax: 202-944-3611

=====================

I don't know if this is true or not. Can anyone refute this information? -- Tex

Martian, I have a little difficulty following what you are saying. Your wife left Thailand with her Thai passport, which is the only passport she has at the moment and which had a visa for the USA in it. Why would the immigration officer have to ask for her visa when he has her passport on his desk and can see it right there?

In future, once your wife has dual nationality, she need not worry. Even if she needs to show her US passport to the immigration officer for confirmation that she needs no visa for the USA there is no risk whatsoever that her US passport will be confiscated. She should verify, however, that the officer put the exit stamp in the correct, ie Thai, passport when she gets the two passports back from the officer.

--

Maestro

Hi Maestro,

She didn't have a visa (that's just what the officer asked for), she was traveling on a green card and therefore nothing in the Thai passport. It is still odd though that immigration would ask to see such a thing when comments on the board say it really doesn't seem to be their business anyways. I was just supporting the statement that immigration is asking for proof of US entry eligibility when leaving Thailand just as the airlines do.

You and I are satisfied there will be no problem with the US passport but this is new and a big step for my wife and she is a little nervous about dealing with the Thai officials while holding two passports. Good point on the stamp location matter and thanks for your reply and various postings with great information.

Regards,

Martian

...A lawyer who works with another lawyer who runs the Thai Consulatehere in Houston gave me this link:

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/worldsummary.html (Scroll down and select Thailand)

which says:

A Thai woman who marries a foreign national and acquires her husband's citizenship has technically lost her Thai citizenship. Should the marriage end in death or divorce, the Thai national woman could regain her Thai citizenship. This is an unofficial dual citizenship designed to protect female Thai nationals.

The information on the web page to which you linked is wrong. The only thing that counts is the Nationality Act, and the text of it is crystal clear. Even if a hundred lawyers tell you something different, they are still wrong.

--

Maestro

...A lawyer who works with another lawyer who runs the Thai Consulatehere in Houston gave me this link:

which says:

The information on the web page to which you linked is wrong. The only thing that counts is the Nationality Act, and the text of it is crystal clear. Even if a hundred lawyers tell you something different, they are still wrong.

--

Maestro

On the site it says, "Citizenship laws are based on the Nationality Act of 1965 with Amendment No.2 AD 1992 and Amendment No.3 AD 1993."

Do you know if there is a more recent update on the web? -- Tex

Edited by TXMitch

Chapter 2. Loss of Thai Nationality.

Section 13. A woman of Thai nationality who marries an alien and may acquire the nationality of her husband according to the nationality law of her husband, shall, if she desires to renounce Thai nationality, make a declaration of her intention before the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The key words here-if she desires

Chapter 2. Loss of Thai Nationality.

Section 13. A woman of Thai nationality who marries an alien and may acquire the nationality of her husband according to the nationality law of her husband, shall, if she desires to renounce Thai nationality, make a declaration of her intention before the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The key words here-if she desires

Spot on. :o

Do you know if there is a more recent update on the web? -- Tex

Amendments No. 2 and No. 3 were both made in the year B.E. 2535 (1992). I am unaware of any subsequent amendments and a web search gives no result for an amendment No. 4

For the amended Nationality Act, see here:

http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs3/THAILAND...onality_Act.htm

--

Maestro