Ice Cream.......i Need It!

Blinky Bill

The title says it all.

I just love ice-cream.

So where is the best place for a smooth and creamy ice-cream in Chiang Mai?

I hope this hasn't been covered before.

Buy your self an icecream maker like I have :o

But can your Ice-cream maker make the wonderful flavours that Ben and Jerry or Baskin Robbins produce?

The title says it all.

I just love ice-cream.

So where is the best place for a smooth and creamy ice-cream in Chiang Mai?

I hope this hasn't been covered before.

Buy your self an icecream maker like I have :o

But can your Ice-cream maker make the wonderful flavours that Ben and Jerry or Baskin Robbins produce?

well I guess similar you just have to practice for a while to get it right

I've always been a fan of Gaytime's with the crumbly coating outside the vanilla and caramel coating.

Also love the Cornetto's. Any flavour will do. Nuts on top and a chocolate bottom once you get through the cone.

Remember the Splices? Tingling outer coating over the delicious vanilla ice-cream centre.

Can we get these icey delights here in Chiang Mai?

Baskin Robbins

Thread closed? :o

Who are you? Any right to close this thread?

I come from a long like of Irish Chinese immigrants who make toy tops out of West Virginian coal. This gives me the authority to arrest j walkers in Mexico, but sadly I can not close threads.

I meant to say, you answered your own question, does that mean you still need suggestions? ie Thread closed "unsure" was the smiley I used.

Edited by BlackArtemis

I come from a long like of Irish Chinese immigrants who make toy tops out of West Virginian coal. This gives me the authority to arrest j walkers in Mexico, but sadly I can not close threads.

I meant to say, you answered your own question, does that mean you still need suggestions? ie Thread closed "unsure" was the smiley I used.

What's a like like?

There was a guy ringing a bell and pushing a dustbin on wheels outside my office today. I first thought he was a lepar but upon closer inspectation of his bin I found it contained what I assumed to be ice cream.

I parted with my hard earned 10 Bt and in return his gruppy little hands passed me 2 slices of bread filled with said ice cream, sticky rice and some very artificial unatural looking red stuff.

Tasted great but alas I was to see it again later this afternoon.

I can send him up your way if I see / hear him again.

I assume that by now he has refrozen his ice cream and possibly washed his hands.

This response send from computer not to far away from a lavatory.

Personally I really like Dairy Queen, especially the plain ole vanilla. Bonus is that its not expensive too. I think Swenson's is Yuk :o There is a small ice cream stall at the basement of Kad Suan Kaew that sells some exotic looking flavours but havent tried the ice cream, only the lemon sorbet, which was yummmmmy. (they also have the same franchise dotted around CM indoor market areas and at Central Plaza)

Havent seen Ben & Jerry's anywhere, but haagan daas (however you spell it) can be bought at Tops.

I just had a brainwave as I await my next dash. The BEST ice cream I have ever had in Thailand, in fact in all of Asia is sold by a guy in the Walking Street on Sunday.

He is in the area that used to be a gas station I think just 100 meters down from Tha Pae gate on your right.

Please dont eat all the white chocolate and cookie and cream as each week I have to go earlier and earlier to get some because some idiot blabbed about this guy everywhere.

What shop is he from, does anyone know. He told me that he makes the stuff himself but then every frog seller will tell you the same thing.

Baskin Robbins

Thread closed? :o

Who are you? Any right to close this thread?

He has as much right as you have in making the original post in requesting that the thread be closed! Gee! I wonder why he had such an idea!!

To further encourage that it be closed, why, BB --- since you are a generous fellow --- don't you instead just invite folks to a "pissup" at your place inviting those who crave milkshakes and hamburgers like "back home," and enjoy each other. Why don't you provide free beer, free hamburgers, and --- for those who do not drink --- free ice cream from all of the ice cream parlors and grocery store freezers you personally visit!

What's next?! Where's the best biltong?!

C'mon, Mapguy, give old BB a break. Nobody has yet mentioned that semi-famous place off of NiemenHaimen, or taught us how to spell Neema's Hymen in Magyar yet. Surely there must be an exotic non-Thai food sold here that has not been done to death. And speaking of flavors or flavours of ice cream, where can I get licorice or egg nog? Or even egg nog by itself?

What's a like like?

It's sorta like a line, but it goes in four different directions like so: K

Mapguy, thanks for the defense, but don't worry there isn't any bad blood here :o

btw it's not creamy and mostly sorbet, but I LOVE iBerry.

I was sitting down at seaside with my friend's band from BKK and Pii Udom invited us to come try his icecream. I had no idea who it was and I just thought he was a really funny guy as we walked to and from iBerry.

Great ice cream/sorbet and a real down to earth guy, it gets my backing 100%

A couple of times a year we have a party at the office (dahm hua celebration) and they bring in a large long stainless steel cylinder of ice cream with ice packed around it. I wasn't planning on eating any of it but someone put a cone in my hand. When I took a bite of it I was surprised how good it was, probably the best I've ever had in Thailand, including the imports. Went back for 2nds, 3rds, and .... <lost count>

They said it was made locally near the uni I believe and will try and find out more about it. If not for BB then for myself. :D

BTW, what's with ice cream on white bread? We had a choice of that or a cone. :o

What's a like like?

It's sorta like a line, but it goes in four different directions like so: K

Mapguy, thanks for the defense, but don't worry there isn't any bad blood here :o

btw it's not creamy and mostly sorbet, but I LOVE iBerry.

I was sitting down at seaside with my friend's band from BKK and Pii Udom invited us to come try his icecream. I had no idea who it was and I just thought he was a really funny guy as we walked to and from iBerry.

Great ice cream/sorbet and a real down to earth guy, it gets my backing 100%

Still think he ought to put some ice cream where his mouth is!

A couple of times a year we have a party at the office (dahm hua celebration) and they bring in a large long stainless steel cylinder of ice cream with ice packed around it. I wasn't planning on eating any of it but someone put a cone in my hand. When I took a bite of it I was surprised how good it was, probably the best I've ever had in Thailand, including the imports. Went back for 2nds, 3rds, and .... <lost count>

They said it was made locally near the uni I believe and will try and find out more about it. If not for BB then for myself. :D

BTW, what's with ice cream on white bread? We had a choice of that or a cone. :D

Ice cream sandwiches :o

where can I get licorice or egg nog? Or even egg nog by itself?

I'm not sure that I've ever seen either of these in Thailand, but there is a place that sells FANTASTIC Egg Nog with some kind alchohol in it around Christmas and New Years in Villa Supermarket. It might be the best I have ever had! :o

Buenissimo makes the very best chocolate ice cream on the planet. Remember Haagen Dazs Belgian Chocolate Chocolate (downgraded to plain old Belgian Chocolate due to the difficulty of packing it since it was so full of chocolate)? Well theirs is even better. It may be that their other flavours are great too but I never get beyond the chocolate. :o

Eat there, take out or just opt for a catering pack...

Edited by Greenside

Maybe I'm just a Cheap Charlie or a total non-gourmand, but I am a total slave to Cornetto's Black Forest Raspberry ice cream cone found at just about every little mom 'n' pop store. The little dollop of raspberry goo at the bottom nearly gives me an orgasm.... :o (which is why I always partake in private).

Edited by toptuan

Maybe I'm just a Cheap Charlie or a total non-gourmand, but I am a total slave to Cornetto's Black Forest Raspberry ice cream cone found at just about every little mom 'n' pop store. The little dollop of raspberry goo at the bottom nearly gives me an orgasm.... :o (which is why I always partake in private).

Strewth! You'll need the Crash Cart if you ever summon up the nerve to try the chocolate :D

The best I have had in Thailand was just inside the door of the Rimping out off the superhiway enroute to Mae Jo. A little cart with some of the most outrageous flavors! I reluctantly tried a taste of one, not being a big ice cream fan, and we spent an hour having bits of everything they had.

Had we been going straight home, I would have packed a few Kgs out of there..

BTW, what's with ice cream on white bread? We had a choice of that or a cone. :o

An ice cream sandwich, made with bread, is what's offered by the street venors. No bread at your bash means no 'common folks' :D

The icream used at the Faculty of Humanities is made locally by a small ice cream store just across from the university on Huey Kaew road

Edited by Ajarn

The best I have had in Thailand was just inside the door of the Rimping out off the superhiway enroute to Mae Jo. A little cart with some of the most outrageous flavors! I reluctantly tried a taste of one, not being a big ice cream fan, and we spent an hour having bits of everything they had.

Had we been going straight home, I would have packed a few Kgs out of there..

I agree, That ice cream, packaged in a very strange way, is delicious! :o

I've been making real 50 year old style made on american farms when I was young. Truly brings tears to some peoples' eyes. My old oak bucket type maker is stored in the Philippines. Where do you get them here? All i can find are the modern..."Throw it in the washing machine or freezer" kind. Oh the tears went away after I stopped standing on those folks' feet

please come on get a live.....

Ah, but I have a live (life), and a very interesting one at that.

can it get any more boring?

It could very easily get a lot more boring but I need a little more time to think of something. Might have to start a thread about socks. What do you think?