Applicants Living In Other Provinces Are Not Able To Apply Through The Immigration In Bangkok (they Must Apply Locally)?

04/Sep/2008

immigration officer in Bkk reject my APPLICATION FOR 1 YEAR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM BASED ON NON - O MARRIAGE VISA.

Officer's explanation:

Applicants living in other provinces are NOT able to apply through the immigration in Bangkok (since 04/Sep/2008 they must apply locally).

Anyone whit the same experience, or just unluck???? :o

I'd read this somewhere on this forum recently. I'm glad you have pointed out this fact as it will save me trying to get 7.17(5) extention in Bkk. The reason I wanted to go to Bkk and get it is because they are more willing to give this extention than Korat is.

I don't think it was bad luck. Seems to be a rule that is enforced, but I have no idea if it is new or old. I applied for extension of stay based on marriage last month. I started the process of getting the paperwork together with Sunbelt in Bangkok, but they told me to apply in Chonburi, where I live. I don't know if it is just Bangkok that will turn you away if you live elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
I don't think it was bad luck. Seems to be a rule that is enforced, but I have no idea if it is new or old. I applied for extension of stay based on marriage last month. I started the process of getting the paperwork together with Sunbelt in Bangkok, but they told me to apply in Chonburi, where I live. I don't know if it is just Bangkok that will turn you away if you live elsewhere.

It's the same here in Nongkai they made a list where you have to apply for a visa.

It's the same here in Nongkai they made a list where you have to apply for a visa.

You have to apply in the closest immigrationoffice of you hometown.

I have found that the outlaying immg. offices are much faster and never a problem with parking.

Faster? Try Mukdahan :o With a staff of six, it took them three hours to process me and one other person in their office this month. (Nong Khai, Bangkok, Korat, Udon--when it was open-- all took 20 min. or less).

I have found that the outlaying immg. offices are much faster and never a problem with parking.
Faster? Try Mukdahan :o With a staff of six, it took them three hours to process me and one other person in their office this month. (Nong Khai, Bangkok, Korat, Udon--when it was open-- all took 20 min. or less).

Three hours doesn't sound so bad for two appications dependent on what kind of extension you applied for. If compared to reports on Bangkok its sounds reasonable in comparison (take a number and wait).

When I went to Phibun for my marriage extension it took well over an hour because of the interview process and etc. I give them a three thumbs up for the job they did (they even made copies for us).

For any of you that are wondering where to go here is some info on office locations.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a65460-...mmigration-offi List of NE offices. This from Nong Kai office that they are handing out when telling people to go their local offices. When going through this list check to see if there is an office closer to you than the one suggested.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=service# Click on checkpoints and then your region some have websites if you click on checkpoint name. If you ae on the edge of a region might be good to check a nearby region. Also click on Contact Us and then telephone it has some that are not on checkpoint list.

Edited by ubonjoe

I went to Bangkok last week, as I have made many years before with no problems to extend my retirement visa one year (based on more than 800 000 Baht in a bankaccount) .

I was directed to Mukdahan.

So I had to make a new letter in the bank, as the certificate has to be fresh.

I Mukdahan yesterday the staff was very serious and ambitious but not impolite. The kind of documents I used before in Bangkok were not enough.

- Health certificate was necessary. I took a tuk-tuk to a private hospital i Mukdahan.

- I had to make a map of the townpart where I am living in Mahasarakham province.

- The letter from Kasikorn bank missed a detail about an accountnumber. I had to get help from a local office to get a new letter (The third).

- I had only copied the bankbooks for one year backwards. All years were necessary to copy for the staff to study.

Five persons worked with my application from 0830 to lunchtime. I was the only client in office most of the time. No farang turned up.

They were very interested of my bankbooks. I had more than three times the sum which is demanded, but still they were crosschecking the money in every thinkable way.

All communications were in thai with my wife. I had an account since more than a year with almost two million baht. But the other, the one I am using every month, had passed 800 000 Baht as late as last month. That was a problem, I was informed. Next year I should have over 800 000 at least three months before I apply for extension also on that account.

The 90-days report should be sent by post to Mukdahan Immigration Office, not to Bangkok, from now on.

At last the young policeofficer in charge held a speech to my wife. It was very important to keep the money in the accounts and not spend the farangmoney on her relatives. Next year it will be carefully checked by the staff. The money should increase until next year, the young man told my wife.

Indeed, I was told I would need a new original letter of income (I use the 65k rule) from my embassy, which requires me to travel to Bangkok.

I do have useless copies then (gave the original to Bangkok immigration)

Double hassle thus. It's too late to comply to the 800k rule anyway.

Next question: will the require a new income statement each year?

What will they invent next to piss me of?

I went to Bangkok last week, as I have made many years before with no problems to extend my retirement visa one year (based on more than 800 000 Baht in a bankaccount) .

I was directed to Mukdahan.

Thanks for your detailed report it will help others. I expect that there will more reports lile this. This is an example of an inexperienced and poorly trained staff requesting items that are clearly not required.

I just can't imagine where they got the health certificate requirement from.

The bank book reading sounds like a bored staff. To avoid the bank book thing you miight talk to your bank about getting a new book that only shows the previous year. That could be done now by requesting a new book that way it would only show the past year when you go the next time.

It might be helpfull to have a copy of the police order in Thai with your type of extension highlighted. So that if they request something thats clearly not required at least you have something to show them. Links to Thai and english translation of police orders follow.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606.pdf Thai

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf English

The immigration officers comments to your wife are incorrect and basicly none of his business .

Next question: will the require a new income statement each year?

What will they invent next to piss me of?

A new income statement is required every year and probably no more than a month old.

Ask for something that is absolutely not required.

04/Sep/2008

immigration officer in Bkk reject my APPLICATION FOR 1 YEAR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM BASED ON NON - O MARRIAGE VISA.

Officer's explanation:

Applicants living in other provinces are NOT able to apply through the immigration in Bangkok (since 04/Sep/2008 they must apply locally).

Anyone whit the same experience, or just unluck???? :o

I lived in Pattaya for 3 years, then moved to Bangkok. I renewed my 1 year visa in Pattaya just to do it with my friends down there. Pattaya did it but questioned me if I had two address--one in Bangkok and one in Pattaya. I said no I only lived in Bangkok but was here on holiday. They renewed it but when I went to Bangkok to do my 90 day the lady at the window was very irritated at me and said why I renewed my visa in Pattaya when I lived in Bangkok and next time I better come here. She gave me my 90 day paper but was very rude. I'm dreading my next visit to do my 90 day because it looks like I might get the 3rd degree everytime until I renew my 1 year extension in Bangkok.

"It might be helpfull to have a copy of the police order in Thai with your type of extension highlighted. So that if they request something thats clearly not required at least you have something to show them. Links to Thai and english translation of police orders follow."

Ubonjoe!

To try to educate in my poor english a young policeofficer in front of his staff is not easy. He may feel he is losing his face and can easily answer, that the policeorder from 2004 has been changed. Who knows? I do not.

I think the new Immigration general in Bangkok, who has given more power to the local offices by delegation, must follow up the work in the provinces more now than before. Because the general is still responsible, I suppose.

Maybe should an Inspection Group consisting of experienced officers be appointed, which travel around in the Kingdom and check, if orders are implemented in a correct way at each office.

Especially, as I do not know of any possibilities to appeal. Does anybody know how to appeal a decision made at a local office?

Some years ago I remember there were some efforts made by a representative of Thaivisa staff to establish contact with Immigration Department of Thailand. The point must have been information from both sides.

Anybody who knows, if we have any sort of contact today?

I had an account since more than a year with almost two million baht. But the other, the one I am using every month, had passed 800 000 Baht as late as last month. That was a problem, I was informed. Next year I should have over 800 000 at least three months before I apply for extension also on that account.

This doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the requirement at least 800K in ONE account? Why didn't you tell them just to use the 2M baht account to fulfill the requirement?

"It might be helpfull to have a copy of the police order in Thai with your type of extension highlighted. So that if they request something thats clearly not required at least you have something to show them.

They can require absolutely anything they want from you, official/written regulations be damned. I have tried that suggestion when a processing officer wanted a copy of a class schedule at a college where I was teaching. Had never been required before, or since. I protested and showed them the official list of required documents. All it did was raise the ire of the processing officer who told me to get out of the office, sans visa extension. As usual, these folks hold your life and future in their hands, so standing up to them (even if you're right and they're wrong) is a bad route to take! Kow-tow and jump through their hoops! Wai and smile, like they rule your world--which they do.

"This doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the requirement at least 800K in ONE account? Why didn't you tell them just to use the 2M baht account to fulfill the requirement?"

Toptuan!

They are kings. It is not useful to protest. You yourself express it very good:

"They can require absolutely anything they want from you, official/written regulations be damned. I have tried that suggestion when a processing officer wanted a copy of a class schedule at a college where I was teaching. Had never been required before, or since. I protested and showed them the official list of required documents. All it did was raise the ire of the processing officer who told me to get out of the office, sans visa extension. As usual, these folks hold your life and future in their hands, so standing up to them (even if you're right and they're wrong) is a bad route to take! Kow-tow and jump through their hoops! Wai and smile, like they rule your world--which they do".

But it would be a good thing to know how to appeal a decision. As long as we cannot appeal, they make what they want.

To try to educate in my poor english a young policeofficer in front of his staff is not easy. He may feel he is losing his face and can easily answer, that the policeorder from 2004 has been changed. Who knows? I do not.

I agree the language barrier is a significant problem. Its alway good to have a Thai speaking person along.

It is actually the Sept. 2006 order but immigration apparently didn't change the file name when they updated the link on their website.

It would be difficult to say what the reaction might be. It would a require a tactful presentation of the copy but in a difficult situation it might at least help to show that you are aware of the rules.

In most cases it would be a last resort tactic to avoid a long trip home to aquire some document that was not normally required. Or in the worse case ending up with an expired extension.

So my point is that it could be useful to have along just in case.

I don't know that the local offices have been given any more power. But Bangkok along with other offices are trying to shed some of their workload and are enforcing a rule that you need to use your local office.

But the consequence of that move means you now have offices doing a job that they may not be familiar with.

Joe

Phusing Immigration Office south of Sisaket in Isaan has also asked for a medical certificate for a 1 year retirement extension

This makes 2 recent ones with Mukadhan

I think they are dredging up an old requirement. Or using an out of date police order. I seem to recall that at one time it was a requirement to get a medical certificate for a retirement extension. Not sure though.

I have looked for a copy of an old police order but had no luck.

Can somebody answer this question.

Phusing Immigration Office south of Sisaket in Isaan has also asked for a medical certificate for a 1 year retirement extension

This makes 2 recent ones with Mukadhan

I think they are dredging up an old requirement. Or using an out of date police order. I seem to recall that at one time it was a requirement to get a medical certificate for a retirement extension. Not sure though.

I have looked for a copy of an old police order but had no luck.

Can somebody answer this question.

Yes it was a requirement for retirement extension until 2 or 3 years ago.

Phusing asks for it (still or again) but Kap Cheong does not

The form I used in the not so far ago old days is

medcert1.doc

I am sure this post will generate a variety of comments. But it is an option.

If you use the following link and have a complaint/question about immigration issues this is a way it can be done. Just use the pull down menu and select your subject.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=comment

Edited by ubonjoe

Phusing Immigration Office south of Sisaket in Isaan has also asked for a medical certificate for a 1 year retirement extensionThis makes 2 recent ones with Mukadhan
I think they are dredging up an old requirement. Or using an out of date police order. I seem to recall that at one time it was a requirement to get a medical certificate for a retirement extension. Not sure though.I have looked for a copy of an old police order but had no luck. Can somebody answer this question.

Yes it was a requirement for retirement extension until 2 or 3 years ago.

Phusing asks for it (still or again) but Kap Cheong does not

The form I used in the not so far ago old days is

medcert1.doc

Sounds like they are using the pre Sept. 2006 police order. Or maybe older.

Thanks

Edited by ubonjoe

They can require absolutely anything they want from you, official/written regulations be damned.
Absolutely true. I phoned Korat Immigration prior to going only to be told "just bring all your documents". I think they make it up as they go along.

...AFTER they size you up! :o

"This doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the requirement at least 800K in ONE account? Why didn't you tell them just to use the 2M baht account to fulfill the requirement?"

Toptuan!

They are kings. It is not useful to protest. You yourself express it very good:

I didn't say to protest (that word implies "attitude.").

I would just simply say, "Oh! I made a mistake! Let's just use this form only (indicating the 2M baht account), as you pull the the 800K-account paperwork back to your lap. Give that idiotic <<mai bpen rai>> smile, and see if that doesn't work. Never imply that THEY are wrong. You're the dunce in their eyes, so act like it. :o

I recently applied for my extension in Suan Plu using a "friend" to process the paper work - everything has to be in order and above board and I am told before hand exactly what paper work etc to present - it "saves time" without any unpleasent surprises. This year I had to sign a form to justify why i didn't a[pply at my nearest Immigration office - it also stipulates that in future I should apply at xxxx office.