Naughty Cheats At Siam Paragon

chivo

If I was earning 5,000 Baht per month and had the opportunity to sell a sample for 850 Baht, would I do it, would you do it ?

I know I would. :o

The lengths you will go to defend anything Thai has now crossed the line. Claiming theft is OK (and let’s face it, it is theft) because someone makes a low income is a ridiculous argument. Where do you draw the line?

It is, however, nice to know where your moral center is. Theft is OK for poor people.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought a krups espresso maker at siam paragon. i figured a mall of that stature would be on the up and up.

Thanks for the reminder that we do fool ourselves into thinking that just because places like Siam Paragon appear fairly well kept that we should trust the merchants there more than at the village market. But let's face it, Siam Paragon doesn't investigate the honesty of its tennents -- they're only intested if they pay their rent. It's the old story of "Don't judge a book by its cover".

I recently bought a krups espresso maker at siam paragon. i figured a mall of that stature would be on the up and up.

The scam occurred when after the sale was made, the employee then asks if I want to buy the water filter which is not included. He explained the benefits and it seemed a worthwhile device. I offered my credit card for the 875 thai baht purchase. He says no, that it can only be paid in cash. I found this strange, but was in a hurry so offered him a 1000 thai baht cash note.

Feeling strange I followed him silently over to where the cash register is. But he produces my change 125 baht from his own personal wallet. I ask for a reciept. He makes some excuse about can't do it now. I am in a hurry so I leave. At home, it all becomes obvious: the label on the filter says FREE SAMPLE.

So basically they got a free promotional sample that I believe is normally given to consumers but decided to make some pocket money. I guess they couldn't read the english FREE SAMPLE on the pack or hoped I wouldn't notice it.

and of course, i try to use siam paragon website to look for a contact email or complaints address and it's down.

i'm not gonna lose sleep over 875 baht, and i can't be bothered to go thru traffic to go there and make a fuss, so thought i'd pass on the reminder to you all, keep yer eyes open!

if you were stupid enough to fall for that i see big problems in the future for you...

If I was earning 5,000 Baht per month and had the opportunity to sell a sample for 850 Baht, would I do it, would you do it ?

The lengths you will go to defend anything Thai has now crossed the line. Claiming theft is OK (and let's face it, it is theft) because someone makes a low income is a ridiculous argument. Where do you draw the line?

It is, however, nice to know where your moral center is. Theft is OK for poor people.

Thanks for making your comment, Furbie. I also find that there seems to be a group of TV members who will go to riduclous lengths to defend everything and anything Thai. It's appears that in their eyes no Thai person could possibly do anything wrong. They seem to forget that Thais are human and "to err is human".

also their food court always charges double what it should be, and if you forget to keep your receipts when you go to get the refund on your card, you obviously can't prove it. this has happened to me 3 times now, because i am stupid and throw away my receipts. only about 30-40 baht worth each time, but it's still a scam.

doubtful, you are probably just an idiot.

The lengths you will go to defend anything Thai has now crossed the line. Claiming theft is OK (and let’s face it, it is theft) because someone makes a low income is a ridiculous argument. Where do you draw the line?

It's the way of the world mate, no different in many other places, people will try to make a bit on the side by whatever means.

It's just that when it happens in Thailand, Farangs think it's happening to them just because they're Farangs, when it happens to Thai people in Thailand is it just because they're Thai ?

Stop behaving like a victim, stop whining and start living, take the thing back, go to the manager and complain, I'm sure if you try hard enough you can get the guy fired.

Also, Im happy for you knowing where my moral centre is.

The lengths you will go to defend anything Thai has now crossed the line. Claiming theft is OK (and let's face it, it is theft) because someone makes a low income is a ridiculous argument. Where do you draw the line?

Its not OK but you have to ask yourself how can farang be so stupid to see a guy take money from his wallet and not issue a receipt and then not connect the dots until he gets home? How does a man like this become "wealthy" while the poor Thai fellow is working for 5k a month? Oh, yes, its called the birth lottery.

So with your morals and correctness when a low paid Policeman in Thailand stops you for speeding and gives you the opportunity to slip him 200 Baht and drive away or go to the Police Station and pay 500 Baht and suffer inconvenience, where would YOU draw the line ?

After all, it's theft, but I'm sure as you would benefit from such theft, you would happily go along with it pay over the 200 Baht.

Morals....lol, don't make me laugh. :o

Here, here!

It's the way of the world mate, no different in many other places, people will try to make a bit on the side by whatever means.

It's just that when it happens in Thailand, Farangs think it's happening to them just because they're Farangs, when it happens to Thai people in Thailand is it just because they're Thai ?

Stop behaving like a victim, stop whining and start living, take the thing back, go to the manager and complain, I'm sure if you try hard enough you can get the guy fired.

It should not be up to the customer to pay the sales staff - that is the responsibility of the management. If that means, as with tipping, that prices have to rise or a 10% service charge is added then so be it. But it should be clear to the customer exactly where his money is going - that's good business. The problem with many Thai companies is that the staff often come first, and that's why Thai industry will suffer in the long run.

Thanks for the reminder that we do fool ourselves into thinking that just because places like Siam Paragon appear fairly well kept that we should trust the merchants there more than at the village market. But let's face it, Siam Paragon doesn't investigate the honesty of its tennents -- they're only intested if they pay their rent. It's the old story of "Don't judge a book by its cover".

The OP didn't buy his coffee maker from a "tennant". He bought it from the Mall's owner - The Mall Group. I am kee neow & I would have gone back to shove the filter up someones a$$. Namely the store manager.

Always check the cash register is giving the correct price as displayed , that is why there is a screen for your perusal , always check the contents of the box that it contains all that is listed on the outside , always check your change before you leave the cash-out and ensure you get a reciept for your purchases , and ALWAYS complain if there is a problem or discrepancy because NOTHING will ever change if you do not .

When i purchase any electrical goods , i get the staff to plug them in to ensure they actualy work , always keep the original packaging with the reciept , gives me ammunition if i need to return faulty goods .

100% correct. I always accompany the sales assistant to the cashier. These new fangled cash registers don't even have a display for the customer to see. I just walk behing them to see what's going on.

Really annoying is how the cashier at Central NEVER ask "ONE Card?" & sometimes I forget to hand it over. Pi$$es me off no end.

I have never witnessed criminal activity like this but sometimes mistakes happen & usually the sales people are only too happy to fix it. In other words - No bad intent.

From the movie Scarface, another definition of Capitalism is F__k you. If it's immoral for someone to try to make a living by using their wits, then so be it. Let the buyer beware. I'm not sure where you draw the line, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Not when you look at what goes on in this world. We're talking about human beings here, right?

I wouldn't call this theft. In this case, the buyer was happy with everything until he saw the free sample sticker. If he'd never seen it, there wouldn't be a problem. I think in most cases, it's more embarrasement on the part of the victim than damage to his well being.

From the movie Scarface, another definition of Capitalism is F__k you. If it's immoral for someone to try to make a living by using their wits, then so be it. Let the buyer beware. I'm not sure where you draw the line, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Not when you look at what goes on in this world. We're talking about human beings here, right?

I wouldn't call this theft. In this case, the buyer was happy with everything until he saw the free sample sticker. If he'd never seen it, there wouldn't be a problem. I think in most cases, it's more embarrasement on the part of the victim than damage to his well being.

Well I guess he would have been even happier if he had been charged less. The fact is he was left with a bad taste in his mouth, whether that happened at the time of purchase or after is irrelevant. Using one's wits does not been turning to crime - if it was then we end up with politics and a police force like Thailand's. Sometimes farangs living in thailand go native and start using fuzzy logic. It was theft, clear and simple.

See my next post

So with your morals and correctness when a low paid Policeman in Thailand stops you for speeding and gives you the opportunity to slip him 200 Baht and drive away or go to the Police Station and pay 500 Baht and suffer inconvenience, where would YOU draw the line ?

After all, it's theft, but I'm sure as you would benefit from such theft, you would happily go along with it pay over the 200 Baht.

Your argument is completely flawed. When those means become illegal, that’s a problem. The case you site is illegal, but a generally accepted practice. That falls short of what has occurred here (by the way, I don’t drive so its not an issue for me, though frankly even if I was in the wrong, I admit I would pay the bribe just so I did not have to go to the station - however, I would not steal from someone else to pay it). The case here is one of theft. No one would be happy if this happened to them. You even contradict yourself by suggesting that the OP complain to the manager. Why should he complain if it’s not a problem?

The second flaw in your argument is that we need to distinguish the fact that this could have happened to a Thai person as well. I agree, but the reality is it is more likely to happen to a foreigner. Same with being ripped off by an NYC taxi driver or a Bangkok taxi driver - it is more likely to happen to a foreigner – less time in town, language barriers, etc. Of course, if you called a cop in NYC you would get helped. In Bangkok he might accuse you or robbing the taxi driver.

Again, your desire to protect all things Thai has crossed to the ridiculous. As a native New Yorker, I don’t get upset when people tell me what is clearly problematic there. Cabbies rip people off, people get pick pocketed on the subway, etc. But I don’t run around saying it is all part of the culture. Its a crime and no amount of your perverted logic will every change that. Wake up. Thailand has a lot to offer and can be a very comfortable place for a Westerner to live. That does not mean it’s perfect and that certainly does not mean I or anyone else forfeits our right to complain about problems – especially when someone steals from us.

Edited by Furbie

You're right, and I felt like it was fuzzy after I wrote it, but that's what happens when I get into (what I think anyway) are grey areas.

"if it was then we end up with politics and a police force like Thailand's" That's the point. That's exactly what we wind up with, but are these really comparable on a moral scale. Terms like crime and theft have varying degrees of harm. Is the salesperson who did this going to the same place as the leaders of Thailand? I hope not.

I'm shutting down cause I'm confusing myself already.

you go out every day and see these farangs and its just a good laugh to read posts like this

i can picture him looking on the mirror and cursing out the salesman and then posting about it on thaivisa as i am sure he is too big of a pussy to go back there and do anything about it

Edited by lifeisrandom

I am sure these sort of scams ( or good business as the Thais would call it ) go on everywhere farang are. I was in a Villa Supermarket last year when I noticed that Campbells Soup were giving away at the point of sale a soup bowl for every 4 cans of soup purchased. I took 8 cans, expecting to get 2 bowls. I went to the check out, paid, and asked where the bowls were. The girl said they did not have any.

I pointed under the till to where there was a stack of them. She said, "Thai people only". I went and got the manager who was most apologetic. I got the bowls and the girl got suitable 'words of advice'.

The girl lost a great deal of face in front of her colleagues. :o

How is bribing a policeman the same crime as stealing from a shop customer?

How is it even "theft", (from who, the tax payers? government?). By this logic if the policeman let you off with a warning he just stole the amount of the would be fine too.

you go out every day and see these farangs and its just a good laugh to read posts like this

i can picture him looking on the mirror and cursing out the salesman and then posting about it on thaivisa as i am sure he is too big of a pussy to go back there and do anything about it

Sometimes I feel like vomiting :o

Campbells Soup -- I pointed under the till to where there was a stack of them. She said, "Thai people only". I went and got the manager who was most apologetic. I got the bowls and the girl got suitable 'words of advice'.

I wonder how many Thai people buy 200 baht cans of middle quality canned soup.

I agree with the poster who defends people who question incidents of unfair pricing, discrimination/scam targeting based on race, and outright thievery as these are parts of "Thai culture" and we must treasure all aspects of it. No, no, we don't.

I do think we need to be diplomatic and pick our fights with care (it often just isn't worth the bother) but there really is no obligation to check our dignity, brains, balls or lady part equivalent at the passport stamping desk.

Edited by Jingthing

No big deal

I posted 6 months ago when buying 7 original American cotton Polo's from emporium. Gave me a special promotion discount and put them in a bag and handed them to me. when I pulled the money out he lifted a shirt from a pile and said put here and he squatted and counted it. That was that. No receipt and big smile and thank you sir very much see next time...

The second flaw in your argument is that we need to distinguish the fact that this could have happened to a Thai person as well. I agree, but the reality is it is more likely to happen to a foreigner.

Yes so it's thievery but not "racist thievery" Clapping hands :o

I feel so much better knowing that.

The second flaw in your argument is that we need to distinguish the fact that this could have happened to a Thai person as well. I agree, but the reality is it is more likely to happen to a foreigner.

Yes so it's thievery but not "racist thievery" Clapping hands :o

I feel so much better knowing that.

Its politically incorrect here to imply that these things do tend to happen more to foreigners. Inconvenient truth? As another poster pointed out, foreigners are scammed in most cultures, they are easier marks. In that way Thailand is not special at all, but that doesn't mean we should excuse it here, or there, but this board is about here.

Edited by Jingthing

How is it theft, unless the sample was removed from a product that the person had already bought, nothing has been stolen from them.

You seem a bit slow so I'll use small words.

When you sell something that doesn't belong to you ---------- That is Thievery.