3 Killed, 25 Injured In Korat Bus Crash

george

3 killed, 25 injured in bus crash

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Three people were killed and 25 others were injured when a Yasothon-Bangkok air-conditioned bus overturned in this northeastern province late Monday night.

Police said the accident happened on the Mittraparb Road in None Soong district at about five minutes after midnight.

Police said the drive might doze off and lose control of the speeding bus, causing it to overturn and fall into the roadside.

One passenger died at the scene and two on their way to a hospital while 25 others were rushed to the None Soong and Phimai hospitals. Those, who were severely injured, were later transferred to the provincial hospital and the private-run Bangkok Ratchasima Hospital.

-- The Nation 2008-09-09

The sooner the law mandates tachometers on all public transport the better. You can see how many hours a driver has worked and tell if they were speeding or working beyond the allowed hours.

Making taxi and bus drivers pass a test for a special passenger vehicle license would be another sensible step.

All the investment in 1st class roads means nothing if you have 3rd class drivers.....

Please stop making the all too frequent silly and insensitive comments that I often see on TV. One person was killed, two serious injured another twenty-five taken to hospital. If anything, our immediate comments should be to expressive sympathy with those who are suffering as a result of the accident as one of us has already done.

Leave conjecture about the cause of the crash to an investigation and, if you want to anything helpful, advocate for this investigation. If you were not on the bus or didn't witness the accident, I don't see that you have anything useful to contribute to any investigation at this stage.

I am extremely tired of English-speaking people making apparently off-the-cuff negative remarks about events in the Kingdom. If you really are that fed up with Thailand and can only contribute infantile, immature and angry stupid comments. go away.

There are still, I believe, a few of us who read and contribute to TV and who are prepared for the time being to tolerate the ridiculous and damaging contributions of others, but I think our association with TV is dwindling - my motivation to continue with TV certainly is.

To the people still alive and the relatives of the one who lost a life, I offer my sincere sympathy.

Edited by DNPBC0

Neither whiny, liberal platitudes nor callous remarks will make one bit of difference to anything.

If your normal mode of operation is to sit around wringing your hands, feeling bad because somewhere in the world, right now, someone died...feel free.

If your normal mode is to make what some might consider callous comments, go right ahead.

I guess after years of hearing about speeding buses "fall into the roadside" (Nation's words), people being killed and the driver fleeing the scene would you expect anything less than a few callous remarks about the stupidity of it all.

Most of us are caring people and are appalled by the senseless road deaths here in Thailand - but when will the authorities start to care and do something constructive to remedy the situation.

Edited by Artisi

Neither whiny, liberal platitudes nor callous remarks will make one bit of difference to anything.

If your normal mode of operation is to sit around wringing your hands, feeling bad because somewhere in the world, right now, someone died...feel free.

If your normal mode is to make what some might consider callous comments, go right ahead.

I was actually talking about compassion. This is not something that can be lightly dismissed by stereotyping it as "liberalism", although I can understand the tendency to do this by those who lack it.

Edited by DNPBC0

Please stop making the all too frequent silly and insensitive comments that I often see on TV. One person was killed, two serious injured another twenty-five taken to hospital. If anything, our immediate comments should be to expressive sympathy with those who are suffering as a result of the accident as one of us has already done.

Leave conjecture about the cause of the crash to an investigation and, if you want to anything helpful, advocate for this investigation. If you were not on the bus or didn't witness the accident, I don't see that you have anything useful to contribute to any investigation at this stage.

I am extremely tired of English-speaking people making apparently off-the-cuff negative remarks about events in the Kingdom. If you really are that fed up with Thailand and can only contribute infantile, immature and angry stupid comments. go away.

There are still, I believe, a few of us who read and contribute to TV and who are prepared for the time being to tolerate the ridiculous and damaging contributions of others, but I think our association with TV is dwindling - my motivation to continue with TV certainly is.

To the people still alive and the relatives of the one who lost a life, I offer my sincere sympathy.

Indeed, I understand your sentiments.

However, I wonder if a bus accident should be classified as an event in this wonderful Kingdom.

Some of us come from countries where bus-traffic is very much regulated.

And mostly resulting in less accidents, less deaths, less wounded.

The speed of most buses in Thailand is so high that there is no room for mistakes or faults.

And that also means mistakes and faults from other road users.

And I guess most people making comments, have that on their mind when making comments.

Because bus drivers, being professional drivers, should take into account what other drivers MIGHT do in certain situations.

And driving a big, tall 3-axle bus from Bangkok to Khon Kaen with a speed going downhill of nearly 130 km/h, or hurling a bus on the same roads with speeds of nearly 120 km/h is not very handy if something ontowards might happen.

Most of us have to use buses for going from point A to point B, and most of us do not have a very safe feeling.

Let is face it, the training for driving in Thailand is still in it's infant woes.

Drink-driving is rampant, if I may believe Thai language newspapers.

So, knowing that, and coupled to the rather high speeds of buses, may result in all kinds of comments when an accident with a bus happens.

Most of the people commenting on Thailand are NOT, like me, fed up with Thailand.

But sometimes, comments on what goes on in Thailand, come from the knowledge that things can be done different.

Sometimes comments have a deeper, underlying reason.

Despair and sorrow for all those deaths that should not have happened.

And fear that it will happen one day while one of us is on board.

Of course, sometimes a lot of readers can become irritated with it all.

And yes, sometimes we state the obvious, sometimes we repeat, sometimes we talk before we switch on our brains.

We are, one time or another, all guilty as charged.

But, we express ourselves, express our concerns, share our feelings, joke, laugh and cry.

And most of us love this country.

I understand the sentiment of people who find some of the remarks to be a bit crude, but one of the problems in Thailand is that accidents are seldom really investigated. We are left with a lot of conjecture about what happens.

I expressed my condolences, but I do wonder what happened. Mechanical failure? Driver nodding off? Wet road? Poorly designed road?

I once got off a bus in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere because the driver was just driving too crazily. As I stood there watching people get on, I belately noticed that a new driver was at the wheel!

I've been on enough buses in the 5 years I have spent in this country to stand by the comments that I made.

Are there too many deaths on the road? Yes - 15 times the rate of a similarly sized UK.

Can something be done to prevent them? Sure - dozens ofthings that other countries do.

Is anything being done? Not a dam_n thing.

Bus crashes such as these are a weekly thing and hardly merit a mention in the Thai press.

If there is a bus crash in, say, Austria and people are killed, is it in the UK press? You bet your arse it is.

your words offering "sincere sympathy for the relatives of the dead and the injured" on a forum that none of those that you are offering sympathy to will ever read , or will be able to receive are just cheap and meaningless platitudes to satisfy yourself more than anybody else.

what exactly are you offering to the victims ? people whom you dont know and in all probability will never read those words. are you tearing your hair out with anguish ? are you donning orange robes ? are you picketing the bus company offices , attending the funerals and visiting the injured ? no of course you are not.

it is a given that we all feel sorry for people caught up in these common tragedies , there is no need for people to repeatedy offer keyboard commiserations .. what the victims need is for road manners to be improved and driver training and vehicle maintenance , if any , to be tightened up.

your sympathy , whilst well meaning , is meaningless , unnecessary and probably a lot less than sincere in the true meaning of the word.

expressions of outrage , if shouted for long enough and loud enough and by enough people , can bring about the changes needed , but this is a country where nobody really cares about anything other than their own little comfort zone and where life is very cheap , especially on the roads.

Edited by taxexile

3 killed, 25 injured in bus crash

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Three people were killed and 25 others were injured when a Yasothon-Bangkok air-conditioned bus overturned in this northeastern province late Monday night.

Police said the accident happened on the Mittraparb Road in None Soong district at about five minutes after midnight.

I have a horrible feeling that someone I know and care about (Thai nationality) might have been on that bus. The date and journey details match with her intended plans - I think! I have been calling and sending SMS messages to the person since I saw this article, but had no response.

I have no contacts in that part of Thailand and I am in the UK.

Does anybody have any idea how one could find out details of who was involved?