Where Is The Mean Coolest Climate In Thailand?

Svenn

I'm defining coolest weather as the lowest average 'apparent temperature' throughout the year; apparent temperature taking into account the heat index (humidity) and wind chill. So even though we all know Isaan can get cold during dry season nights, it also gets extra hot in the hot season, so places like that are excluded from my definition of 'mean' apparent temp (Chiang Mai/Rai as well).

My guess is that a place far south and with strong steady breezes would 'feel' the most cool on average, maybe a high elevation in that mountain chain north of Phuket... though I was on Doi Inthanon (tallest mountain in Thailand) a month ago on a motorcycle with shorts and t-shirt and it was really windy, wet, and cold and could have passed for late winter weather in Vancouver or London.... but my assumption is that the northern areas like that bake up really hot in the dry season?

I'm defining coolest weather as the lowest average 'apparent temperature' throughout the year; apparent temperature taking into account the heat index (humidity) and wind chill. So even though we all know Isaan can get cold during dry season nights, it also gets extra hot in the hot season, so places like that are excluded from my definition of 'mean' apparent temp (Chiang Mai/Rai as well).

My guess is that a place far south and with strong steady breezes would 'feel' the most cool on average, maybe a high elevation in that mountain chain north of Phuket... though I was on Doi Inthanon (tallest mountain in Thailand) a month ago on a motorcycle with shorts and t-shirt and it was really windy, wet, and cold and could have passed for late winter weather in Vancouver or London.... but my assumption is that the northern areas like that bake up really hot in the dry season?

Doi Inthanon or more likely Doi Chang Dao(CM) sumits would be close. Phu Chi Far(Chiangrai) might have a sligtly lower average given it's latitude being slightly futher north, however I would guess not as it's altitude is somewhat lower. Height = cool. As for areas that are inhabited and farmed all year around, Chai Prakarn just south of Farng is likely to be the coolest in the country. The altitude of normal farming land is 600 meters. This is higher in altitude than the flat areas around Pai.

JJ

Unless you go really high - like over 1,400 meters - further south will be hotter. Remember, it takes a year or so to acclimatize your body to different temps. And if you look at a wind chill chart, it basically stops at around 25 degrees. In this climate, except on high mountains, humidity means more apparent heat. Regardless, even northernmost Chiang Rai is still well within the tropics. Not at all like Nord Kaap, Norway.

Unless you go really high - like over 1,400 meters - further south will be hotter. Remember, it takes a year or so to acclimatize your body to different temps. And if you look at a wind chill chart, it basically stops at around 25 degrees. In this climate, except on high mountains, humidity means more apparent heat. Regardless, even northernmost Chiang Rai is still well within the tropics. Not at all like Nord Kaap, Norway.

Correct, there is no temperate climate located in Thailand. Only about 1 square kilometre on the top of Doi Inthanon has weather data that could be classified as temperate, no where else has humidity low enough. Dalat in Vietnam is another story though. This has quite a significant plateau, somewhere around 1500m above sea level on a latitude south of Bangkok!!!!!

Loei is certainly colder than Chiang Mai

From someone living in CM--my vote ....goes....to....Loei--really, truly beautiful area, by far the most lovely part of Thailand, and wonderfully cooooool. Yeahhh! I have some friends married to Loei girls and, forchrissaake, they make them live in places like Phuket--crazy.

It's unfortunate that a person cannot ask a simple question and get an answer without smart ass remarks. The best climate in Thailand would probably be ChiangMai. On hot days you can also go up in the mountains where it will be a bit cooler.

Barry

And look down on the Smog

Loei is certainly colder than Chiang Mai

From someone living in CM--my vote ....goes....to....Loei--really, truly beautiful area, by far the most lovely part of Thailand, and wonderfully cooooool. Yeahhh! I have some friends married to Loei girls and, forchrissaake, they make them live in places like Phuket--crazy.

I've been reading that Loei gets really hot in addition to really cold, is that right?