Living On A Foreign Passport In Thailand

My wife (Thai from origin), got a Dutch pasport on her first visit to Holland, when she went back to Thailand, she actually entered on her Dutch passport, that means she stays on a 1 year non-immigrant visa in Thailand, her first Thai passport is expired and she got a new 1 in BKK , I discussed this matter with an immigration officer, who told us, that she should leave Thailand on her Dutch - and enter Thailand again on her Thai passport, it sounds very easy, but I assume she will get problems when she returns with a sober passport (no stamps of departure from Thailand).

Does anyone have any experience with this matter ?

My wife (Thai from origin), got a Dutch pasport on her first visit to Holland, when she went back to Thailand, she actually entered on her Dutch passport, that means she stays on a 1 year non-immigrant visa in Thailand, her first Thai passport is expired and she got a new 1 in BKK , I discussed this matter with an immigration officer, who told us, that she should leave Thailand on her Dutch - and enter Thailand again on her Thai passport, it sounds very easy, but I assume she will get problems when she returns with a sober passport (no stamps of departure from Thailand).

Does anyone have any experience with this matter ?

:o WHEN was that ? That must have been ages ago since NOBODY from any non-western country gets a Dutch passport on his/her first visit/entry, married or not.

That must have been before 1658 ? :D

LaoPo

This is not a problem. Immigration and airlines are familiar with dual nationality and when she shows both passports they will understand she doesn't need a visa or anything for travel between Netherlands and Thailand.

Yeap, agree. My wife has dual citizenship/passports...and uses the Thai passport to enter/exit Thailand....and uses her USA passport to enter/exit the USA and most other countries. When exiting Thailand on a Thai passport the "airlines" will want see the foreign passport/visa during airline check-in to confirm the traveler can enter the foriegn country; Thai immigration will only want to see the passport she originally entered on...and even if she uses the Thai passport on the next exit they may not even catch the fact she entered on the Dutch passport...however, but, since she is in the system as entering on the Dutch passport the 90 reporting requirement would probably catchup with her sooner or later. So, it would probably be best to leave on the Dutch passport on her next trip. Then when she comes back and enters on the Thai passport she won't need to worry about a yearly visa, 90 day reporting, etc., as she is just another Thai citizen living in Thailand.

Summary: after she exits Thailand on the next trip using the Dutch passport "then" always use the Thai passport when entering/exiting Thailand and only show the foreign passport when asked by the airlines or immigration....and then tuck the Thai passport away in her purse for the remaining portion of the trip and just use the foreign passport except when she reenters Thailand...then pull out the Thai passport again.

Edited by Pib