'chinese' Thai Vs 'thai' Thai

ryanb741

I don't mean to offend anyone here but I have been married to a Chinese Thai girl for 5 years (I am 27, she is 25) and she is the best wife ever. She comes from a good family (Mum works for Thai Government, Dad is Architect) and she's definitely not in it for the money as she earns twice as much as me and even bought us a superb house in Bangkok.

Having Chinese genes, she is very focused on business and self-improvement and works very hard (we both live in London).

However, when we go back to Thailand every year is astounds me the difference in work ethic between the Chinese Thai population and the original thais or Issan people. These people are almost exclusively the ones you find in the bar trade etc. When in thailand my wife and her family deliberately avoid these areas, and I can see the shame on the face of my Wife and her family. Indeed, in the UK when asked her nationality she will often refer to herself as 'Singaporean' instead of Thai because of the tw*ts who will make silly remarks, and in any case even in Thailand most people think she is foreign.

The thing I want to know is in reality is there this massive gap between the Chinese Thais and the original Thais, and if so why is this the case?

Any thoughtful replies welcomed, no flaming please

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize the most expensive hookers in Bangkok are Chinese-Thai? Not to burst your bubble, but there's thousands if not more of them as well. They're just not in the regular bars where tourists go but in the high class "entertainment" complexes. My girlfriend is Isaan (from Ubon) however she could easily go for a darker skinned Chinese-Thai. Personally, i don't mind the skin color of my partner, as long as we match together.

Picture attached to show what i mean. :D:o

Photo0338.jpg

And what cute girls Ubon are producing Rainman. She got a sister? :D

I don't think there is a great difference between the Thais and Chinese Thais, but there is thought to be, I often find farangs out here that refer to their gf as Chinese Thai as soon as you meet them like a fashion accesory. I introduce myself as Dagenham English to these people to show my good breeding. :o

It's true that almost exclusively the bar jobs are filled with issarn girls, simply because it's a poor region and the farang bars are full of the poor country girls, that and the farangs like the dark skinned look, or at least don't not like it as the Thais tend to do. This does not mean that all people from Issarn or all other Thais apart from Thais do not work in other high paid jobs though.

The Chinese Thais are from the richest families in general though and since Thai society like many others are built up from scratch my back and I'll scratch yours and nepotism contacts you will find that a lot of the Chinese Thai people are brought into well paid jobs and well educated to get the higher paying jobs, and have the initial capital to start businesses.

Not flaming your girlfriend here but she really doesn't need to feel any shame when she sees bar girls at work, she needs to understand that not everybody is born into such a privelaged position in this country where they can have education and money from the start. If she was in a similar position to many of these girls that work in bars she would face the decision as to whether to work like that herself and go out and find that rich husband.

So in the end I would say, not much difference, just perceived that way by snobbish people.

And Rainmans dead right, lot of Chinese Thais working as prostitutes as well, but being Chinese Thai, its a higher class prostitute! :D

I don't mean to offend anyone here but I have been married to a Chinese Thai girl for 5 years (I am 27, she is 25) and she is the best wife ever. She comes from a good family (Mum works for Thai Government, Dad is Architect) and she's definitely not in it for the money as she earns twice as much as me and even bought us a superb house in Bangkok.

Having Chinese genes, she is very focused on business and self-improvement and works very hard (we both live in London).

However, when we go back to Thailand every year is astounds me the difference in work ethic between the Chinese Thai population and the original thais or Issan people. These people are almost exclusively the ones you find in the bar trade etc. When in thailand my wife and her family deliberately avoid these areas, and I can see the shame on the face of my Wife and her family. Indeed, in the UK when asked her nationality she will often refer to herself as 'Singaporean' instead of Thai because of the tw*ts who will make silly remarks, and in any case even in Thailand most people think she is foreign.

The thing I want to know is in reality is there this massive gap between the Chinese Thais and the original Thais, and if so why is this the case?

1. You are a lucky guy. My lady is from China, so Chinese/Chinese and she is the

love-of-my-life, but we also love TH very much and come there with joy.

2. Your wife shouldn't be ashamed to call herself Thai, or Thai/Chinese; Why?

because of the barscene or seeing 'farangs' walking around with thai girls?

If I show people the 'red-light' district in Amsterdam, why would I be ashamed?

The majority of the Thai are hard working people although there is indeed a

difference between Thai and Thai/Chinese as far as 'drive-for-money' is

concerned, or 'work ethic' like you call it.

3. There is a Dutch Professor, specialized in 'genes', Prof. Galjaard.

He is by far one of the worlds' leading experts in genes and his book is amazing.

I am not able to explain the details but allow me to tell a short story which is

a true story:

Fidel Castro asked Prof. Galjaard why the South Americans or Africans were more

'slower' than the Chinese.

The answer is complicated (and in Dutch) but the basic answer was:

"it's in the genes, and it will take many generations, change to better nutrition (read: poorness), education and a lot more, to change the behaviour of a certain ethnic group of people or country

I don't think it's so easy to put it simply: 'work ethic' like you mention, but I think there is a lot more than that.

The genes of people like the Chinese or Japanese is also boosted by the drive for making money, a lot of money; AND they have the willpower to do so.

But, don't forget that there is, also in China, a vast majority of poor people.

There are more poor people than rich people, also in China, despite the story of Prof. Galjaard and it will take many more decades to change the 'work ethic' of the Thai.

But yes, there is a difference.

She actually has 4 sisters (5 including her).  Only one isn't taken, fortunately just as good looking.

Pics on a postcard please to the rich farang expat at the super lush penthouse grand president appartment.. and when that guy's finished looking at her, then post a pic on here so a nob end like me can drool over her when my gf is asleep. :D

4 sisters, man, they must produce them at a factory up there. Not calling your gf's Mum a factory of course. :o

I actually had this Ozzie guy who has been here all of one year start explaining to me how Northern girls are the best looking and not Issarn girls, he then indicted to my gf and her friend not knowing she was my gf and I had to explain to him that my gf and her friend was from Chiang Mai and he was a nob end. lol. Small white lie there coz she's from Tak, but it's not so far and he thought he knew it all about Northern girls, Chinese Thai girls and Issarn girls so had to make him look a pratt. :D

I have heard from many expats that Issarn girls are a dangerous species of prsostiute and Chinese Thai girls are excellent student girls that all come from a good family and would never even think about what you could buy them because they are so rich themselves. :D

It's what I call the second stage of expat stupidness in Thailand. :D

BTW this is off topic, no way related to the first poster.

Generally speaking many Chinese are very industrious and pressure their children to perform well in school, this is true where ever they are domiciled,Thailand, Australia, America etc.

My wife has Chinese on both sides of her family. One side, the maternal grandparents, are exclusively Chinese and run very successful food businesses in Pitsanuloke and Bangkok. The paternal grandfather was a full Chinese who was addicted to fin(opium) and ran a whorehouse in Bangpakong.

My wife's father is the son of the addict and a fairly useless husband and parent, my wife's Mother, a Thai, is the illegitimate child of the better off Chinese connection and his Mia noi, she then made the mistake of choosing her partner on looks rather than other qualities.

What I'm saying is there are good and bad Chinese, just the same as any other ethnic group. The embarrassment felt about being a Thai woman is often due to the media coverage of the seamy side of Thailand and the fact that so many of the ladies who live in other countries are sourced from that environment. My wife gets angry about what the media portrays and sometimes about the behaviour of Thai women here in Aus. However we have learnt to tolerate both and not be ashamed of things which are nothing to do with us as individuals.

Ryan.....the Chinese race, regardless of which country they are in now have always been considered the "hard working" lot. Employers in a lot of Asian countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore would prefer to hire a Chinese compared to the other races. Why? It is a known fact that most Chinese are hardworking and reliable. :D

I am not flaming your wife but she should be PROUD of her origins/roots and say she is Thai Chinese instead of "pretending to be Singaporean". People would think worse of her if they find out the truth and come to the assumption that she was a bargirl trying to hide her real identity, ever think about that? The truth always surfaces......whether one likes it or not. :D

Terdsak........there are ugly and beautiful people everywhere..look around you. There are even fat ugly farangs in Thailand :o !!!! It is not the nationality or race/origin...... Anyway, inner beauty is always better that external beauty........especially when the external beauty has "claws/fangs" ready to stick into you!! I do agree it would be ideal to have both.......inner and external beauty :D

Read 'Letters from Thailand' by Botan.

This covers a 30 year period of a Chinese immigrant's life from his post WW2 arrival in Bangkok to the 1960s. Its part social commentry, part insight into the life of a Chinese immigrant and part insight into Thai Chinese culture.

Also worth reading if you can find it is William G Skinner's 'Chinese Society in Thailand' which goes from the early immigrants in the Ayutthya days to the 1950s.

Both of the above clearly show how the Chinese bought their work ethic into Thailand and also shows the clear divisions between the Thais and the Chinese.

Chinese merchants raise little Chinese merchants that go out and run businesses. They do this all over asia. They really know how to run business well and they have good connections. They often become more prosperous than the native business people and this causes resentment. It is not unusual for local peole to riot against their Chinese minority. THis happened in Indonesia only a few years ago and has happened in Vietnam in the past too...I'm not sure of where else this has happened. In a certain sense the CHinese merchants in ASia are like the Jewish merchants in Europe throughout history. But I'm not a historian so if anyone can inform me that this is wrong I'd be glad to know.

One reason the Chinese are so sucessful is because if they need to buy something, they only buy from Chinese. This keeps all their money circulating within the Chinese community only.

Allow me tell you a story which happened about 20 years ago in BKK.

A very dear friend of mine was invited for dinner by a Chinese family(member) as the only 'outsider-farang' because they liked him very much. There were about 25-30 people attending dinner.

What he didn't know was that this special dinner in a private restaurant-room was a kind of fundraising dinner for a familymember who wanted to start a factory.

A large sum was needed for the setup.

On the head of the table was the Matriarch 'Grandma' of the family.

When the dinner was finished, eveyone was handed 2 pieces of papers, and a silver bowl was put on the table.

Paper 1 was to write the amount a single member willing to join into the venture

Paper 2 was the interestpercentage he/she wanted to have.

Everyone put their little papers in the bowl so it was secret.

Grandma took out all the papers........

The result for nr. 1 was that there was more money in total than needed.

The result for nr. 2 was that the Matriarch finally decided what kind of interest-% would be fair for everybody. No further discussion. Everybody had to accept the decision of Grandma

Obviously a wealthy family, but nevertheless, it's about the system that they care and help each other if needed...and indeed build up their (financial) power

I suppose that's one of strenghts of the Chinese community in the upper class, but maybe also in the lesser classes (forgive my English) I don't know.

But, let me tell you that my lady-friend, who doesn't come from a wealthy family, ALSO care for each other in an almost unbelievable way. It is very touching to notice such a kind care and real love for each other.

In Europe, where I'm from, we have long forgotten to take care for our parents or other familymembers.

I know quite a number of wealthy people, with brothers and/or sisters, who don't care about their lesser fortunate family-members.

The attitude in the West is a lot more selfish than people in the Far East in general.

Maybe that's why we all love the East (and TH) so much.....it's about THE PEOPLE, since there is also sunshine and beaches in the Mediterranean areas, or elsewhere, or am I wrong?

Of course there's a difference between Chinese Thai's and Isaan Thai's. Same with BKK Thai's and Chiang Mai (Lanna) Thai's. Same with southern thai's.

Personally, I find the CM Thai's the friendliest. Chinese Thai's can be very 'elitist'...as your wife seems to be. That's just stupid calling herself 'Singaporean' and avoiding area's with 'other' Thai's.

My wife is extremely well educated from Chiang Mai...and she'd have to be tortured to call herself a Singaporean!!!

She'd also never be ashamed of other Thai's.

Your wife sounds like a snob mate! Sorry, but that's just elitist BS.

To the Chinese, family is first, individual is second and the Chinese

as a people are third.

Not in this century it's not mkudu.......the more westernised and educated Chinese do not go according to that order anymore. Then again, it all depends on their upbringing and external influences :o

"In popular view they were divided into two kinds: bad Chinese and good Chinese. The bad ones were those in the lugubrious restaurants along the waterfront, where one was as likely to eat like a king as to die a sudden death at the table, sitting before a plate of rat meat with sunflowers, and which were thought to be nothing more than fronts for white slavery and many other kinds of traffic. The good ones were the Chinese in the laundries, heirs of a sacred knowledge, who returned one's shirts cleaner than new, with collars and cuffs like recently ironed Communion wafers."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

There are Good Chinese, and there are Bad Chinese. The good ones run laundromats! haha.

LaoPo, what an incredibly charming story! Being of Chinese descent myself, i have heard of such accounts of family 'fundraising' although i have never witnessed it. I have however witnessed Chinese ladies gathering for tea sessions during which funds are raised in a lottery like fashion, in aid of a member's financial needs as they arise from time to time. I always thought it was a very clannish thing to do and likely derived from generations of living in an adopted land as a separate and self sufficient people. I believe the practice is now deemed illegal as its tantamount to running an underground lottery. Despite strong familial and clan-like bonds, I don't believe Chinese people are generally nice to other Chinese people, much less outsiders of a different race. Chinese people are generally inward looking, materialistic, self-centered and given to deviousness when confronted with competition. Just my 2 cents worth.

"In popular view they were divided into two kinds: bad Chinese and good Chinese. The bad ones were those in the lugubrious restaurants along the waterfront, where one was as likely to eat like a king as to die a sudden death at the table, sitting before a plate of rat meat with sunflowers, and which were thought to be nothing more than fronts for white slavery and many other kinds of traffic. The good ones were the Chinese in the laundries, heirs of a sacred knowledge, who returned one's shirts cleaner than new, with collars and cuffs like recently ironed Communion wafers."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

There are Good Chinese, and there are Bad Chinese.  The good ones run laundromats!  haha.

LaoPo, what an incredibly charming story! Being of Chinese descent myself, i have heard of such accounts of family 'fundraising' although i have never witnessed it.  I have however witnessed Chinese ladies gathering for tea sessions during which funds are raised in a lottery like fashion, in aid of a member's financial needs as they arise from time to time.  I always thought it was a very clannish thing to do and likely derived from generations of living in an adopted land as a separate and self sufficient people.  I believe the practice is now deemed illegal as its tantamount to running an underground lottery.  Despite strong familial and clan-like bonds, I don't believe Chinese people are generally nice to other Chinese people, much less outsiders of a different race.  Chinese people are generally inward looking, materialistic, self-centered and given to deviousness when confronted with competition.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Dear thedude,

In the past I have done a lot of business with the Chinese and I could tell you a lot of funny and interesting stories. I have always enjoyed that but maybe it's because they call the Dutch the 'Chinese' of the West...I don't know.

Well, I suppose we can't generalize our opinion about any group of people in the world, do you agree?

The topic was just about the work ethics between Chinese-Thai and Thai-Thai.

In TH I once did business with a company which was run by the Lady-owner of Chinese/Thai descent and her French husband.......in my case I experienced a disaster but that doesn't say anything of course about the general business attitude of the Thai and/or Chinese/Thai. I was unlucky I suppose in that case.

1 funny story though:

In HK I had some extremely difficult negotations going on for a European contract with a Chinese group of companies, owned by a wealthy HK Chinese.

The guy doing the negotations underestimated 'our' group and the talks dragged on during the whole day.

I must say that the West-group of about 4 people were starving to death at around 2.00PM so hungry they were.....but so was the Chinese guy.

At 4.30PM the contracts were signed.

His comment to me was:

"Congratulations Mr. L but please NEVER touch my lunch again" hahaha :o

In the end everybody was happy.

Ryan.....the Chinese race, regardless of which country they are in now have always been considered the "hard working" lot. Employers in a lot of Asian countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore would prefer to hire a Chinese compared to the other races. Why? It is a known fact that most Chinese are hardworking and reliable. :o

Yes, I agree with these comments, but I hope you will forgive me if I inject a little unsentimental realism here. It is undeniable that Chinese people in general as a race are extremely industrious and business savy. There are a variety of reasons and strategies behind this success that have been discussed in previous posts (and no I don't buy into the simplistic "genes" theory; it is more a matter of culture and environment). However, when we start discussing how they are hired over others in places like Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and eventually Tibet, we also need to look at the racial preferences given to Chinese by other Chinese; and in many cases, outright racism. I don't think I am going out on a limb here, as this is well documented. So, it's really not fair to mention preferences in hiring without mentioning this other dimension. Also, in the case of Thailand, there are historical roots in which the first Chinese merchants enjoyed an advantage over ordinary Thais by working as tax collectors for the monarchy.

Chinese merchants raise little Chinese merchants that go out and run businesses. They do this all over asia. They really know how to run business well and they have good connections. They often become more prosperous than the native business people and this causes resentment. It is not unusual for local peole to riot against their Chinese minority. THis happened in Indonesia only a few years ago and has happened in Vietnam in the past too...I'm not sure of where else this has happened. In a certain sense the CHinese merchants in ASia are like the Jewish merchants in Europe throughout history. But I'm not a historian so if anyone can inform me that this is wrong I'd be glad to know.

Many people have made comparisons between Jews and Chinese. You are not the first.

LaoPo, what an incredibly charming story! Being of Chinese descent myself, i have heard of such accounts of family 'fundraising' although i have never witnessed it. I have however witnessed Chinese ladies gathering for tea sessions during which funds are raised in a lottery like fashion, in aid of a member's financial needs as they arise from time to time. I always thought it was a very clannish thing to do and likely derived from generations of living in an adopted land as a separate and self sufficient people. I believe the practice is now deemed illegal as its tantamount to running an underground lottery. Despite strong familial and clan-like bonds, I don't believe Chinese people are generally nice to other Chinese people, much less outsiders of a different race. Chinese people are generally inward looking, materialistic, self-centered and given to deviousness when confronted with competition. Just my 2 cents worth.

There is a good and bad side to everything and everyone, including cultures.

Quote:

"(and no I don't buy into the simplistic "genes" theory; it is more a matter of culture and environment)."

Professor Dr. Hans Galjaard (1935) is not just 'a' Professor; he is one of the, very respected, leading scientists in the world regarding the research into genes.

He is a giant in his field.

It would be too simple to call his work or the theory: "simplistic "genes" theory.

That's much too easy.

Let me ask you: where does culture and environment come from?

How did these develop, starting in ancient times?

Indeed, the development of 'genes' in human beiings.

Quote:

"There is a good and bad side to everything and everyone, including cultures."

I couldn't agree more.

Bad sides: Professor Galjaard discovered that criminals who repeatedly committed crimes have a disorder in their genes....

He even suggested that judges eventually 'could' take this knowledge into consideration....but that's another story; a very complicated issue I would say.

In Holland they say: "slippery ice" (skating)

There are Good Chinese, and there are Bad Chinese. The good ones run laundromats! haha.

Must tell the wife that one. :wub:

One of her little setups is precisely that ...a laundry in The-Par-Raak,but can I get a clean shirt when I want one :o

On the other hand suggest that she might be Chinese and its always ....."Am THAI" so when I ask about where her dads dad hailed from?...thats different :D :D

Lots of the other traits are there though...Not much time for non Bangkockians (with exception of Chiang Mai and Trat) and on the subject of "lady nights".....they do not exist...that simple.

She will also not let her nieces "be free" until they finish university (staff dont matter) and when I suggest that we gotta think about getting them fixed up...arrrggg...NOT Yet-Not Polite ..and Dont Speak :D

Recon the wildest night they have ever had is when I got them (all-same time)onto the stage boogie-ing one night to the band in the Londoner Pub.

(thats OK -thats Respectable) :D

Regarding business:

Thai: Much dilly dallying, beating around the bush, talking in circles, fluctuating

$$ amounts to pay or be paid and much smiling.

Chinese-Thai: Direct, straight forward, $$ amounts are known and stuck to

and not much smiling.

Speaking as someone who is Chinese/Chinese, but grew up in the U.K. There is far too much categorisation in the u.k: British/Chinese, British/Asian, Afro/Caribean, northerners/southerners etc, and having to put your race on some forms. one of the reasons i came to Thailand was to get away from all that - here i'm totally anonymous (as i look Thai). Personally, i think Chinese/thais who introduce/refer to themselves as Chinese/Thai are SNOBS !!!! Just like the upper class <deleted> in the U.K !!!

Speaking as someone who is Chinese/Chinese, but grew up in the U.K. There is far too much categorisation in the u.k: British/Chinese, British/Asian, Afro/Caribean
I agree totally. Either you are British or you aren't and every Briton should be looked upon as exactly the same.

This rascist device was established by the looney left wing politically correct sector so they could give preferential treatment to their fluffy minorities. It should be abolished at once.

I've never had to tick any box saying if I'm a Northerner or a Southerner though even though I'm a Northerner and not a poofy Southerner!

Personally, i think Chinese/thais who introduce/refer to themselves as Chinese/Thai are SNOBS !!!! Just like the upper class <deleted> in the U.K !!!

I think its been established that having it known that you are Chinese Thai can have big benefits.

Personally, i think Chinese/thais who introduce/refer to themselves as Chinese/Thai are SNOBS !!!! Just like the upper class <deleted> in the U.K !

Hahahaha.....that's funny. I do agree that if they introduce themselves as that, it does seem as if they are too ashamed to be just Thais.

What about the fact that a Thai Chinese introduces herself as a "Singaporean"?? :o

One reason the Chinese are so sucessful is because if they need to buy something, they only buy from Chinese. This keeps all their money circulating within the Chinese community only.

Allow me tell you a story which happened about 20 years ago in BKK.

A very dear friend of mine was invited for dinner by a Chinese family(member) as the only 'outsider-farang' because they liked him very much. There were about 25-30 people attending dinner.

What he didn't know was that this special dinner in a private restaurant-room was a kind of fundraising dinner for a familymember who wanted to start a factory.

A large sum was needed for the setup.

On the head of the table was the Matriarch 'Grandma' of the family.

When the dinner was finished, eveyone was handed 2 pieces of papers, and a silver bowl was put on the table.

Paper 1 was to write the amount a single member willing to join into the venture

Paper 2 was the interestpercentage he/she wanted to have.

Everyone put their little papers in the bowl so it was secret.

Grandma took out all the papers........

The result for nr. 1 was that there was more money in total than needed.

The result for nr. 2 was that the Matriarch finally decided what kind of interest-% would be fair for everybody. No further discussion. Everybody had to accept the decision of Grandma

Obviously a wealthy family, but nevertheless, it's about the system that they care and help each other if needed...and indeed build up their (financial) power

I suppose that's one of strenghts of the Chinese community in the upper class, but maybe also in the lesser classes (forgive my English) I don't know.

But, let me tell you that my lady-friend, who doesn't come from a wealthy family, ALSO care for each other in an almost unbelievable way. It is very touching to notice such a kind care and real love for each other.

In Europe, where I'm from, we have long forgotten to take care for our parents or other familymembers.

I know quite a number of wealthy people, with brothers and/or sisters, who don't care about their lesser fortunate family-members.

The attitude in the West is a lot more selfish than people in the Far East in general.

Maybe that's why we all love the East (and TH) so much.....it's about THE PEOPLE, since there is also sunshine and beaches in the Mediterranean areas, or elsewhere, or am I wrong?

Right on, LaoPo!

I live in the US and can't wait until I get the opportunity to retire in Thailand with my wife's family. They are wonderful, and the attitude of helping one another within the family is incredible. It even extented to me once years ago when her family loaned us money to tide me over when I lost my job and it took a year or so to find another. Times have become much, much better since then, but I could never repay that kindness -- they did not want to hear of that.

A couple years ago, we took my son to Thailand as a graduation present, and he was amazed at the family he had there. The sense of family is incredibly strong in Thailand, somthing we in the US lost long ago, regrettably.

Another 7 years and here I come!

Also, I should add, my wife (of 34 years) is not Chinese-Thai. In fact there is some minor royal blood there from years back. Point is -- proper raising of kids to instill the right moral values is not restricted to Chinese or Thai or any other nationality -- that concept is completely within the family patriarchs/matriarchs and their lineage.

I will say that the chance of proper moral values, valueing an education and a good work ethic are apparently found more often in Asians -- but then, that is just an old American white guy talking.