Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

WALDO'S BEEN FOUND !! :D :D :P:o

but it's at a crematorium :(:D :D :D

Samak chairs cremation of Government House official

Disqualified prime minister Samak Sundaravej chaired the cremation of a late Government House official at a Bangkok temple Wednesday evening.

He chaired the cremation of Somsak Boonkrob at Wat Bueng Thonglang at 5 pm.

He declined to reply when reporters asked him whether he would accept the post of prime minister again.

- The Nation

You have made it pretty clear in hundreds of posts that you dislike Samak.

But, to post a kind of cheering message that you have 'found' him, attending the cremation of a person who just died is absolutely tasteless.

It's 'not done'..... No class, no style, no dignity and no respect for someone who's attending a funeral/cremation, WHATEVER he has done or not.

It's a golden rule, all over the world: show respect for/to people attending a funeral/cremation.

LaoPo

Why don't you folks take your dick measuring contest off the thread and into a PM. The rest of us don't give a Sh@t.

Edited by jbowman1993

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Army chief urges cancellation of state of emergency

By The Nation

The situation remains under control and police could keep peace, hence a state of emergency in Bangkok should be revoked, Army chief General Anupong Paochinda said on Thursday.

Anupong said caretaker Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat should take prompt action to lift the emergency measures.

He said the enforcement of emergency decree is unnecessary because social order could be maintained by existing laws and soldiers could be deployed as back-up forces in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Anupong also expressed his support for the formation of a national government in order to overcome the political turmoil.

Anupong conceded that the idea might be difficult to materialise unless parties concerned abandoned their partisan interests.

The trouble will persist if political parties don't make sacrifices, he said.

He said he anticipates that the naming of the next prime minister would be crucial on whether the country could achieve a conflict resolution.

The Nation

Army chief urges cancellation of state of emergency

By The Nation

The situation remains under control and police could keep peace, hence a state of emergency in Bangkok should be revoked, Army chief General Anupong Paochinda said on Thursday.

Anupong said caretaker Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat should take prompt action to lift the emergency measures.

He said the enforcement of emergency decree is unnecessary because social order could be maintained by existing laws and soldiers could be deployed as back-up forces in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Anupong also expressed his support for the formation of a national government in order to overcome the political turmoil.

Anupong conceded that the idea might be difficult to materialise unless parties concerned abandoned their partisan interests.

The trouble will persist if political parties don't make sacrifices, he said.

He said he anticipates that the naming of the next prime minister would be crucial on whether the country could achieve a conflict resolution.

The Nation

The shame is that he's the only person to have said anything that makes any real sense.

Anupong for PM anyone?

379096.jpg

Thaksin to be consulted on new Thai PM

BANGKOK (AFP / 39 minutes ago) — Deposed Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra will be consulted on who should become prime minister, after a court removed Samak Sundaravej over a cooking show scandal, the ruling party said Thursday.

"Thaksin's support will be taken into consideration, but will not be decisive in determining the candidate," Deputy Party Spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said.

"We have to listen to him, because Thaksin is still a Thai national," Suthin said.

Suthin said that in addition to Samak, the party was considering nominating Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, who is now acting Prime Minister.

Another possible candidate is justice minister Sompong Amornviwat, who is also seen as close to Thaksin. The party was set to meet early Thursday to decide on the candidate, ahead of a parliamentary vote on Friday.

"I admit that this time, the candidate will not get 100 percent support from all members because there are factions within the party," Suthin said.

"Thaksin's support will be taken into consideration, but will not be decisive in determining the candidate," Deputy Party Spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said.

"We have to listen to him, because Thaksin is still a Thai national," Suthin said. [And because he gives us a lot of money, which is a far more important consideration than the well-being of the Thai people].

Maybe its time to abandon the state of emergency in favour of a 'State of Stupidity'?

379096.jpg

Thaksin to be consulted on new Thai PM

BANGKOK (AFP / 39 minutes ago) — Deposed Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra will be consulted on who should become prime minister, after a court removed Samak Sundaravej over a cooking show scandal, the ruling party said Thursday.

"We have to listen to him, because Thaksin is still a Thai national," Suthin said.

Suthin said that in addition to Samak, the party was considering nominating Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, who is now acting Prime Minister.

Another possible candidate is justice minister Sompong Amornviwat, who is also seen as close to Thaksin. The party was set to meet early Thursday to decide on the candidate, ahead of a parliamentary vote on Friday.

"I admit that this time, the candidate will not get 100 percent support from all members because there are factions within the party," Suthin said.

For gods sake the people of Thailand wake up - enough is enough !! Do you

want Thailand to be the laughing stock of the world Let go of this person ! :o

PPP begins crucial meeting to nominate PM

More than 200 MPs from the People Power Party on Thursday turned out in full force to pick their sole candidate for the position of prime minister ahead of tomorrow's House vote to name the government leader.

The meeting began at 9.30 am and expected to last several hours. Party leader Samak Sundaravej was absent.

Party deputy spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said his party might not be able to reach an unanimous decision on the nomination. Top contenders for the job are Samak, Somchai Wongsawat and Sompong Amornwiwat.

The Nation

Edited by ubonjoe

"We have to listen to him, because Thaksin is still a Thai national," Suthin said. [And because he gives us a lot of money, which is a far more important consideration than the well-being of the Thai people].

Maybe its time to abandon the state of emergency in favour of a 'State of Stupidity'?

It is certainly approaching the time when the one who wields the big-stick steps in and puts a stop to the stupity currently being displayed by those who are supposed to be running the country for the good of the people and not for themselves and their inflated ego's.

Edited by Artisi

People like you really PI$$ ME OFF!

We are guests, but high paying ones! I run a business here that costs a fortune in time and money to operate FAIRLY and LEGALLY (soon to be 2x businesses) and this whole "guest" thing really fcuks me off. Especially when one Khun Squarehead is a "guest" in my home country.

<deleted>...both of you!

but he was right, no?

You can pay as high as you want and run as many businesses as you want - Khun Squarehead has British citizenship before YOU are allowed to own the piece of land your house stands on, that is a fact. And even if you pump millions of Euros/Dollars into the Thai economy, if they (government) don't like us foreigners anymore, you're on a plane "home" tomorrow, and NO chance to fight against it.

Still this place is a web forum with the purpose of having discussions around topics, so everyone is free (within the rules of the forum) to state their opinion. If that "pisses you off" then go to some other website, i recommend "www.google.co.th/en" where you can look for topics you like to read about.

No need for name calling ok? And i'm no moderator, just stating MY opinion.

Best regards......

Thanh

Thaksin is not a British Citizen.

He is a foreign national, at most applying for political asylum.

He can be kicked out as an undesirable guest from the UK,

same as us farangs here. But I think a bit less EASY to eject.

I wonder; how is this is playing out in regards to teachers and their students?

Is there much impetus for teachers (and parents) to encourage youngsters to buck the trends of their seniors? In other words, are teachers and parents encouraging youngsters be aspire to do the right things when they (the kids) grow up? ....or simply follow in the footsteps of their elders?

Do the teachers and parents even know what ethical behavior is? After all, they too have had poor examples to emulate in their formative years.

Some of the current flock of youngsters will be getting in to positions of authority and power in later years. Most will slide in via privilege - while others will have to claw their way to top positions. Either way, will they embrace the tarnished ethics of their predecessors, or will they somehow buck the trend and embrace decent ways of doing things. Perhaps those questions are altogether too naïve.

Unfortunately Thai culture is extremely corrupt compared to most developed countries and kids learn to adopt this culture from their parents, peers and mentors in their developing years. When the kids see the most corrupt people in their community and within their country prospering at the expense of honest folk, is it any wonder what set of values they will adopt in life.

Thailand doesn't only need political change but also cultural change re corruption at all levels of society. And the only way to start the ball rolling in that direction is through the justice system in a democratic society. Its so sad to see those kids being sent off by their parents to protest with PAD when in fact, for most, they are supporting a political agenda for a much diminished quality of life for their own future.

The last thing the Thais school system inculcates is independent thought.

Alternative thought is labeled 'counter to the good of the country' in many cases.

It is one of the most rote systems I have EVER encountered.

Follow the prescribed course and NO alternate options, or get a caning.

I so greatly admire the Thais I meet who are their OWN unique creative souls,

because it is clearly incredibly hard to have develop those thought process

DURING the schooling years.

People like you really PI$$ ME OFF!

We are guests, but high paying ones! I run a business here that costs a fortune in time and money to operate FAIRLY and LEGALLY (soon to be 2x businesses) and this whole "guest" thing really fcuks me off. Especially when one Khun Squarehead is a "guest" in my home country.

<deleted>...both of you!

but he was right, no?

You can pay as high as you want and run as many businesses as you want - Khun Squarehead has British citizenship before YOU are allowed to own the piece of land your house stands on, that is a fact. And even if you pump millions of Euros/Dollars into the Thai economy, if they (government) don't like us foreigners anymore, you're on a plane "home" tomorrow, and NO chance to fight against it.

Still this place is a web forum with the purpose of having discussions around topics, so everyone is free (within the rules of the forum) to state their opinion. If that "pisses you off" then go to some other website, i recommend "www.google.co.th/en" where you can look for topics you like to read about.

No need for name calling ok? And i'm no moderator, just stating MY opinion.

Best regards......

Thanh

Thaksin is not a British Citizen.

He is a foreign national, at most applying for political asylum.

He can be kicked out as an undesirable guest from the UK,

same as us farangs here. But I think a bit less EASY to eject.

I think what Thanh was trying to say was - Thaksin will have / might have / could have British Citizenship before YOU are ever allowed .....

Wouldn't that pi$ you off as well?

Or are you just a sycophant like all the other losers that keep crapping on about being "guests" in this "beautiful country".

Hi.

It sure would, however i wouldn't take it as a reason to call someone else names. I myself am fully aware that my only right in this country is to leave my money here, still i like being here for a number of reasons and, compared to my home country (which is Germany) Thailand is certainly beautiful.

If you follow my posts you will see that i DO engage in this political spectacle thread as well, as i, too, am certainly not happy with the way things go - still i also know that i personally have no chance of doing anything about it so posting my opinion is all i can do.

And please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is a "sycophant"?

Regards.....

Thanh

Modern usage of sycophant.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source -

n. A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

Sycophant

1. An informer; a talebearer. [Obs.] "Accusing sycophants, of all men, did best sort to his nature." --Sir P. Sidney.

2. A base parasite; a mean or servile flatterer; especially, a flatterer of princes and great men.

A sycophant will everything admire: Each verse, each sentence, sets his soul on fire. --Dryden.

Historical derivation

Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source

sycophant

1537 (in L. form sycophanta), "informer, talebearer, slanderer," from L. sycophanta, from Gk. sykophantes, originally "one who shows the fig," from sykon "fig" + phanein "to show." "Showing the fig" was a vulgar gesture made by sticking the thumb between two fingers, a display which vaguely resembles a fig, itself symbolic of a vulva. The story goes that prominent politicians in ancient Greece held aloof from such inflammatory gestures, but privately urged their followers to taunt their opponents. The sense of "mean, servile flatterer" is first recorded in Eng. 1575.

A modern variation s the school boy 'brown noser'.

Edited by animatic

It is certainly approaching the time when the one who wields the big-stick steps in and puts a stop to the stupity currently being displayed by those who are supposed to be running the country for the good of the people and not for themselves and their inflated ego's.

He who has the biggest pile always gets the cream off the top in a kow towing society.

The State of Stupidity is controled by the state of the bank balance.

Very well siad Animatic (above) re the poor schooling = indoctrination

Unfortunately, this is not a problem unique to Thailand.

When are people going to figure out that the purpose of pre-university schools is to educate not to indoctrinate. As far as I am concerned, brainwashing of children is child abuse.

Wouldn't that pi$ you off as well?

Or are you just a sycophant like all the other losers that keep crapping on about being "guests" in this "beautiful country".

Hi.

It sure would, however i wouldn't take it as a reason to call someone else names. I myself am fully aware that my only right in this country is to leave my money here, still i like being here for a number of reasons and, compared to my home country (which is Germany) Thailand is certainly beautiful.

If you follow my posts you will see that i DO engage in this political spectacle thread as well, as i, too, am certainly not happy with the way things go - still i also know that i personally have no chance of doing anything about it so posting my opinion is all i can do.

And please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is a "sycophant"?

Regards.....

Thanh

Apologies for name calling.

I am just so fed up of the ridiculous situation this country is in now.

After 5.5 years here, and the aforementioned business(s) that I have invested my heart and soul into, this is the first time I have actually stopped to question the merits of what I am doing here.

And the "guest" comment really got me going.

No personal offense meant or intended.

When are people going to figure out that the purpose of pre-university schools is to educate not to indoctrinate. As far as I am concerned, brainwashing of children is child abuse.

It is an excercise in 'Nation Building'.

Remove all differences in people here in your chosen geographic area,

as arbitrarily and forcefully as possible. Uniforms, haircuts, dogma.

Then give them texts, not written by teachers,

but by political philosophers trying to make their points.

Then give them repetitiously someone to dislike for being different.

Like the hilltribes, Khemers and Burmese.

Then harp on that for generations.

One recent comment I saw was that :

Many teachers are not teaching much in class,

but save that for the PAID after school tutoring sessions.

And that the kids can't understand the school books,

unless the teachers write a translation for them, at a fee.

Teachers get too little to live on, a given,

so make sure there is something to be paid to teach a second time.

And the books are so hide bound and out of date that they mean nothing to any child,

if they EVER were clear to any generation, unless redone in an intelligible way by teachers.

This sounds of books written by sycophant academics, working for

an arbitrary leader and 'molder of minds', in tough political times.

Of course EXISTING translations are not disseminated for free, it's for a tutorial fee.

They have been building a nation of followers,

and this goes a long way to explain TRT and PPP and wanting to bring back Samak too.

Followers follow someone with enough power and personal charisma to LEAD,

and blindly following leads to stupid decisions when suddenly cut loose.

Possible some of these folks can not easily formulate new OTHER ideas,

than bring back Samak, because their training in life prevents this independent thought.

Edited by animatic

Direct line from London gives advice on new PM

The People Power Party (PPP) will ask for opinion from an influential figure in London on who should become a new prime minister after the Constitution Court disqualified Samak Sundaravej over a cooking show scandal, Deputy PPP Spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said Thursday. "A direct line from London" has voiced opinion, he admitted. "His support will be taken into consideration, but will not be decisive in determining the candidate," he said. "We have to listen to him, because Thaksin is still a Thai national." He did not state clearly who that person is, but it is rather obvious that he was talking about ousted premier and former Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who is

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130582

Coalition government parties to hold press conference this afternoon

Deputy Leader of the Chart Thai Party Somsak Prisananuntakul revealed that this afternoon the 6 parties of the coalition government will hold a joint press conference to reveal their stances on the establishment of a new government.

He said that the candidates to be proposed for the new Prime Minister's vote would be decided amongst the parties themselves but admitted that he expected each party to conclude the matter before the press conference.

Somsak commented that the creation of a national government would be impractical despite a lot of discussion on the concept.

He said that if such a government were erected it would make the Parliament system obsolete.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-11

The People Power Party (PPP) will ask for opinion from an influential figure in London on who should become a new prime minister after the Constitution Court disqualified Samak Sundaravej over a cooking show scandal, Deputy PPP Spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said Thursday. "A direct line from London" has voiced opinion, he admitted. "His support will be taken into consideration, but will not be decisive in determining the candidate," he said. "We have to listen to him, because Thaksin is still a Thai national." He did not state clearly who that person is, but it is rather obvious that he was talking about ousted premier and former Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who is

Continued here:

The Nation are more clear on the subject:

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is living in exile, made a call from London to make his preference known on who should be prime minister, People Power Party deputy spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said on Thursday.

Thaksin's call happened ahead of today's party meeting to nominate a sole candidate for the job, Suthin said.

The Nation

Continued here:

Going by that statement they also have to ask my Thai wife as she is a Thai national.

What a pathetic statement.

Continued here:

:o

Continued here:

:D

and this coming from the people that are choosing the next Leader of the Nation... :o

Continued here:

:D

and this coming from the people that are choosing the next Leader of the Nation... :o

First the report quotes Suthin as naming the individual who phoned- and then immediately goes on to state that Suthin didn't clearly name the caller.

...and this coming from the people at ... the Nation...:D

Continued here:

Just when you think it cannot get any more puerile and pathetic...

for FCUKS SAKE...sort yourselves out!!!!!

And the books are so hide bound and out of date that they mean nothing to any child,

if they EVER were clear to any generation, unless redone in an intelligible way by teachers.

Of course EXISTING translations are not disseminated for free, it's for a tutorial fee.

and this goes a long way to explain TRT and PPP and wanting to bring back Samak too.

than bring back Samak, because their training in life prevents this independent thought.

There is just a problem with your reasoning, teachers and academics are on PAD side, they never supported Thaksin, Samak or any member of the present majority.

Beside this point, I agree with your opinion of teachers and academics in Thailand, "Many teachers are not teaching much in class .... sycophant academics, working for an arbitrary leader"; which explains their unconditional and pathetic support to the PAD and the "democrats".

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is living in exile, made a call from London to make his preference known on who should be prime minister, People Power Party deputy spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng said on Thursday.

So they are taking advice on the next leader of the country from a bail-jumper hiding from an outstanding arrest warrant and several corruption cases, whose lawyer has been done for trying to bribe court officials and whose wife has already been convicted.

Integrity? :o

Edited by Crushdepth

There is just a problem with your reasoning, teachers and academics are on PAD side, they never supported Thaksin, Samak or any member of the present majority.

Beside this point, I agree with your opinion of teachers and academics in Thailand, "Many teachers are not teaching much in class .... sycophant academics, working for an arbitrary leader"; which explains their unconditional and pathetic support to the PAD and the "democrats".

This goes WAY before any of the current players.

You ignored this line

Those book writers are from previous generations not the current crop.

By all accounts these books haven't been upgraded in decades except

for some things like space travel, computers and robotics.

When you get to the university level there is more academic freedom and wider reading possibilities.

But I was talking about grade school and Jr. High levels.

Rote learning no deviation nor imagination, but lots of indoctrination.

Builds young minds ONE WAY.

Start thinking the Pridi's and people who put in place the system,

not the current leadership milking it.

One must wonder why so many teachers are on the PAD side then, shouldn't one?

Edited by animatic

So they are taking advice on the next leader of the country from a bail-jumper hiding from an outstanding arrest warrant and several corruption cases, whose lawyer has been done for trying to bribe court officials and whose wife has already been convicted.

Integrity? :o

It's a Brave New World, for sure.