Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

It sounds as though Samak will be renominated and instated back to the top job by PPP.

If so, it will be a slap in the face for the Thai judicial system, and thumbing their noses at their Constitution.

The same judicial system that got roundly dissed by the Shinawatre family a couple weeks ago.

I agree with an earlier post that this scenario must bring private glee to the puppetmaster in London. For him, discord in Thailand is advantageous, just as long as none of his opponents get in to top political positions (that might cause the wheels of justice to continue turning). If the discord and animosity within Bangkok increase, it will make it easier for Thaksin to slip back in to the driver's seat.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaoPo and other PPP-appologists that try to paint that PAD is worse and a bigger threat, please realize one thing. The PAD isn't in power. The PPP are.

By continuously attacking PAD and, with your logic saying that people are stupid to support them and should have such a strong dislike for PPP, you ARE supporting PPP.

You're mistaken.

If I warn for Sondhi and what he stands for -PAD- which ''baby'' he created, it doesn't automatically mean that I support the PPP.

I don't.

LaoPo

But you are NOT decrying PPP,

you are one sided even as you protest that labling.

If you were being even handed as you claim,

it would be obvious, and it is not even slightly appearant.

Thanks to LaoPo, I now understand what a laughing stock is. :D

:D

So you finally had a look in the mirror today ?

Thanks for the laugh ! :o

LaoPo

Wow, I'm impressed by the level of maturity and intelligence of someone who's supposedly first came to Thailand even before I was born.

:D:D:(

Thanks, and yes, when I was twenty, or even thirty, I thought I knew it ALL, but my wise (passed away) parent always repeatedly told me: "YOU are never too old to learn"

and so are you, never too old to learn. :D

I'm proud and happy to say that I'm still learning, every single day unlike some SUPER WISE posters here who know it all... :P

LaoPo

Listening to the PAD on stage, doesn't anyone find it condescending and inciteful without intelligence nor reason?

However much you hate the present government surely it's not enough to drag one down to those depths.

What they are saying and the way they say it just doesn't have the hallmarks of a peaceful and committed protest.

You really can't compare this bunch to the Dalai Llama or Gandhi, you would be doing a great injustice to previous peaceful protesters.

If you want to support that kind of verbal assault which is often hinged on hatred and ridicule, then that is fine, each to their own, but for me I don't feel comfortable with it. It is my belief that movements based on these principles have shaky ethics and are unpredictable in their motives at best.

If there really was a movement fighting for democracy and against corruption in a peaceful and intelligent way, that would be good, but I can't see this one as coming anywhere near.

Yes to demonstrate is one thing and right that all people should have. But to take over TV stations, kill in the name of defence and not to mention take over governement house (all against the law) Is completly another thing... Does that happen in US politics??? I dont think so... In the west these protesters would of been moved or locked up a long time ago. This kind of leniency would not of been tolerated but it is a sensative issue in Thailand so we come to present problems. So defending them just goes against your comparison with USA.

Putting protesters in jail for civil disobedience leads to fear and then apathy amongst the public who would protest. I don't think this practice serves the people in any country. If enough people are pissed to cause some shit, the people in power should allow them to continue to rally, even if they're breaking a couple laws. This is civil disobedience and it has been used for ages and is one of the only ways for the public to create change. Sometimes you need to stir shit up a little to cause change. Check out Rosa Parks, that bitch totally should have got tossed in the slammer for what she did.

In the USA if you protest and your views do not coincide with the current administration (or at least this one) you are not treated very well. Your rights to protest in the US of A are slowly being eroded and apathy has long taken over your nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Republic...rotest_activity

Will you use your 2nd amendment right to get back your right to protest and other civil liberties? I think not, apathy has set in.

In Vancouver where I'm from more and more of our local protests are being treated very aggressively by police. This is because the Olympics are coming and they are practicing enforcing "the law". Not too many people in Vancouver want the Olympics and there will be shit if the police can't control it. Do I think they should? <deleted> No. Let the hippies cause their shit...they won't hurt anyone (unless you try and stop them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayoquot_Sou...ogging_protests

They still go on to this day.

Edited by j0rd

LaoPo and other PPP-appologists that try to paint that PAD is worse and a bigger threat, please realize one thing. The PAD isn't in power. The PPP are.

By continuously attacking PAD and, with your logic saying that people are stupid to support them and should have such a strong dislike for PPP, you ARE supporting PPP. (No we just dont fall for the PAD media propaganda machine)

The government can and always SHOULD be attacked when they are doing something wrong???. (For being linked to Thaksin?) That is the obligation of the people. This is why the second amendment is so important in the US. Why the right to free speech and the right to have big demonstrations so important. (So taking over the White house in USA, and a tv station to broadcast your views and kill in the name of defence for your side, is a right????) hmm I think you logic confuses me so in any democracy would we allow such a disregard for the law in the name of protest.... Nonsense.

I consider PAD a tool amongst many to remove a corrupt regime. (PAD Elite backers and some members are currupt also you dont know that?)

If PAD got into power and worked against my belief I would support whatever faction that was out there that worked to overthrow them. (Really so your a anarchist?) You dont respect the rules of the land. Democracy has laws I am sorry to say!

This is how a proper freedom loving person should reason. You don't support an oppressive (HOW?) and corrupt regime due to others might exist or might, possibly, in the future be bad. You fight them all. (Since I last check Thailand was very free apart from not upholding the law for some people)

But again you fail to grasp that when you claim that people that are so against PPP are supporting PAD and an 'undemocratic system'. Fight the power.

(So actually you are a anarchist that dosent believe in democracy) says alot...

Yes to demonstrate is one thing and right that all people should have. But to take over TV stations, kill in the name of defence and not to mention take over governement house (all against the law) Is completly another thing... Does that happen in US politics??? I dont think so... In the west these protesters would of been moved or locked up a long time ago. This kind of leniency would not of been tolerated but it is a sensative issue in Thailand so we come to present problems. So defending them just goes against your comparison with USA. The elite backers of PAD and some members are all currupted in the same way as all parties in Thailand are to some degree, unfortunetly its a cultural thing in Asia. It just happens if your support is a step back to Dictatorship (PAD) New politics or continue with a democratic system. This current system isnt the best as with even US system isnt the best, but its far better then what the PAD are proposing. Come on everyone has the right to vote wether they are poor or rich. Thats democracy. No one should be appointed. Thats almost how the Nazi's or Communsits got back into power. PAD are doing the same kind of things as to what happened with all major new political systems and thats the scary part. If you are taken away by the PAD propaganda rants then you would be taken away by the likes of Hitler sad to say.... The current events are not just about politics, as it is also a bitter hatred that Sondhi has against Taksin, but thats another story...

If you quote my post please make sure your reply addresses anything I wrote. Anything else would be a straw-man attack or a rant.

And younghusband, I'm just not gonna waste my time with you. All right?

You will no doubt do as you think fit.However do not presume that you speak for the Thai people.You don't.

So, who do you think does?

Youself? Are you Thai? At least ThNiner IS!

Maybe you think Laopo does, he speaks enough for them.

Samak? I know NO Thai's who want ANYTHING to do with him.

Sondhi? Many accept his past as similar to many with businesses at that time.

At least he appears to try and fight corruption today, if not in the past.

Thaksin? He talked down to the people more than most anybody.

Too many corruption lawsuits coming to be take seriously,

except as a threat to true democratic governance.

Abhisit? To mellow and reasonable... why would ANYONE agree with him?

Maybe not grown into a leader yet, but will be soon enough

Anupong? He's a general can't have a mind too, to reasonable too, Right?

The only voice of reason on the greater scene these last few days

ThNiner seems as qualified as any to speak for Thais.

Edited by animatic

Thanks to LaoPo, I now understand what a laughing stock is. :(

LaoPo

Wow, I'm impressed by the level of maturity and intelligence of someone who's supposedly first came to Thailand even before I was born.

:D:D:D

There is an old Austrian speech which means "Stupid people have it easier in life".....

Actually that here should be about the latest news, but some intelligent discussion like about what the news are meaning is also nice.

But unfortunately people like LaoPo is abusing is for his infantile jokes.

sorry for that, Pointless to discuss with such people.

Thanks to LaoPo, I now understand what a laughing stock is. :D

LaoPo

:D:D:(

There is an old Austrian speech which means "Stupid people have it easier in life".....

Actually that here should be about the latest news, but some intelligent discussion like about what the news are meaning is also nice.

But unfortunately people like LaoPo is abusing is for his infantile jokes.

sorry for that, Pointless to discuss with such people.

If you can't win a debate you call someone he's posting infantile jokes ?

I didn't start with jokes...read again if you wish.

You know h90, what the difference is between you and me ?

Respect; I always have respect for others as well as their opinions, and I don't flame upon others....because it's so easy and cheap.

It's the same with people who fight with each other, and I mean REAL fights like the PRO and CONTRA government 'peaceful' demonstrators.

If they can't win with words they start beating each other.

It's the same here, with words.

Speaking about infantile. :D

LaoPo

That, of course, is why the PAD (and I would say the Democrats too) do not favour resolution of the crisis through a referendum or one-person-one-vote general election.

They, and many others, don't favor it as a resolution because it's an illegal and inappropriate misuse of the referendum process. ..... hmm... illegal and inappropriate... it's no wonder Samak proposed it.

Happily in this democratic country, a convicted criminal in London can direct that Samak is again nominated and elected PM, despite his previous conflict of interests or lying to the court.

Now what would the PAD, or even a fair-minded & reasonable farang, see as wrong with that ? :D

Stinging as always, eh Ricardo? :o

That, of course, is why the PAD (and I would say the Democrats too) do not favour resolution of the crisis through a referendum or one-person-one-vote general election.

They, and many others, don't favor it as a resolution because it's an illegal and inappropriate misuse of the referendum process. ..... hmm... illegal and inappropriate... it's no wonder Samak proposed it.

:o Is that written in Thai law ? If so, can you supply us with a link ?

Referenda are held in many countries but as an example, not on a federal level in the US.

That does not mean that other countries don't hold referenda; In Switzerland even multiple choice referenda have been done.

A referendum (plural referendums or referenda), ballot question, or plebiscite (from Latin plebiscita, originally a decree of the Concilium Plebis) is a direct vote in which an entire electorate is asked to either accept or reject a particular proposal. This may result in the adoption of a new constitution, a constitutional amendment, a law, the recall of an elected official or simply a specific government policy. The referendum or plebiscite is a form of direct democracy ideally favoring the majority.

--Wikipedia

That PAD, and many others (who are those SRJ ?) don't favor a referendum does not mean it's not democratic; on the contrary.

But, I think PAD and "many others" will fear the results of a Referendum; the majority would wipe PAD away and that's not what Sondhi is aiming for, is he ?

But, to be fair, I think that a Referendum -at this stage in Thai history- wouldn't lift Thailand out of the present impasse.

LaoPo

Whether you are for or against the PAD, whether you hate or love Samak, and whether you feel the "democratic process" should be allowed to continue unhindered, the plain facts of the matter are:

Just about every newspaper and most media outlets have urged that Samak not to be reappointed for the sake of calming down the extremely tense and dangerous political state of the country.

Many leading and influential academics have also signed a written plea to this effect

Unions have also stated that it would be better that a PM other than Samak is appointed.

The army chief also requested that Samak step aside for the sake of the country.

Many of the minor parties in the coalition expressed strong doubts about the advisability of Samak being reappointed.

The Issan faction of the PPP publicly stated they didn't want Samak back.

Even some of the major players in the PPP were starting to express doubts whether Samak should become PM again.

AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED??

The execs in PPP made a call to Thaksin. And almost immediately the reappointment of Samak was back on again, with virtually no dissenting voices within the coalition. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Thaksin is playing his Machiavellian games.

The whole country knows it will be disaster if Samak makes a comeback. But Thaksin doesn't care -he wants a disaster - he prays for it every day.

The more anarchy, chaos and violence the better. It's the only way he will ever stand a chance of returning to Thailand and regaining power.

Divide and create hatred and mayhem - and hope that his faction gets the upper hand in the expected maelstrom.

Why not? He has nothing to lose.

Very good post, mobi, always helpful to bring the thread back to the here and now...

The transformation of the very dwindling PPP support for Samak to a unanimous vote as exemplified below is astounding and occurred after the call from London and a follow-up monitoring of the PPP meeting by the Bangkok contingent of the

Banned From Politics 111 Home Boys Crew.

<childish level of sniggers snipped>
The discussion in this forum seems to have degenerated to a childish level of late with sniggers and sneers making up the bulk of some posters content.

==========================================================

Moving on now to...

Samak selected as PM candidate by PPP

A meeting between the People Power Party (PPP) today (September, 11th) unanimously resolved to renominate Samak Sundaravej as prime minister despite being disqualified by the Constitution Court.

Samak was not present at the meeting which was attended by PPP members as well as former excutives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-11

:o Is that written in Thai law ? If so, can you supply us with a link ?

Referenda are held in many countries but as an example, not on a federal level in the US.

That does not mean that other countries don't hold referenda; In Switzerland even multiple choice referenda have been done.

That PAD, and many others (who are those SRJ ?) don't favor a referendum does not mean it's not democratic; on the contrary.

But, I think PAD and "many others" will fear the results of a Referendum; the majority would wipe PAD away and that's not what Sondhi is aiming for, is he ?

But, to be fair, I think that a Referendum -at this stage in Thai history- wouldn't lift Thailand out of the present impasse.

LaoPo[/color]

even a cursory examination of the thread back to the time when Samak first proposed this nonsense will cite the specific article (I believe it was 165, but not sure). Unfortunately, the thread search engine software is crapping out now and I'm not able to provide a specific post to its particular reference, but nonetheless, it shouldn't be difficult to find as its illegality was pointed out several times)... the many others are those familiar with the law, such as academicians, lawyers, journalists, etc. Those panning the notion are also quoted in that series of postings then. The referendum process is not to be used if one wants to test the confidence in government. That's what a House dissolution is for. Same as many other countries with similar systems. The article specifically refers to the do's and don'ts for referendum, again same as other countries laws.

*as a side note to the any mods, is there a snafu with the search function? perhaps I should take this to forum support tho'.

Edited by sriracha john

379096.jpg

Thaksin to be consulted on new Thai PM

BANGKOK (AFP / 39 minutes ago) — Deposed Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra will be consulted on who should become prime minister, after a court removed Samak Sundaravej over a cooking show scandal, the ruling party said Thursday.

Suthin said that in addition to Samak, the party was considering nominating Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, who is now acting Prime Minister. Another possible candidate is justice minister Sompong Amornviwat, who is also seen as close to Thaksin.

They publicly admit they take Thaksin's advice, and then tell everyone they represent the "majority".

And amazingly, they do so openly and brazenly.

And yet...unbelievably, the endless chorus of "Thaksin's out of here." "Get over it, he's finished." "Why focus on Thaksin? He's through" never stops.

It's the same as the Square-Head. He never stops.

and the chorus sings on....

Oh big bad Taksin.... Get over him and get some sleep....

By continuously attacking PAD and, with your logic saying that people are stupid to support them and should have such a strong dislike for PPP, you ARE supporting PPP.

The government can and always SHOULD be attacked when they are doing something wrong. That is the obligation of the people. This is why the second amendment is so important in the US. Why the right to free speech and the right to have big demonstrations so important.

I consider PAD a tool amongst many to remove a corrupt regime.

If PAD got into power and worked against my belief I would support whatever faction that was out there that worked to overthrow them.

This is how a proper freedom loving person should reason. You don't support an oppressive and corrupt regime due to others might exist or might, possibly, in the future be bad. You fight them all.

But again you fail to grasp that when you claim that people that are so against PPP are supporting PAD and an 'undemocratic system'. Fight the power.

I disagree with your notion that ridiculing the PAD or being against the PAD, means supporting the current government. That's just not true. I don't give a rat's ass about PPP or Samak or Thaksin or whoever. What I do know is that the PAD doesn't seem to me as being entirely honest. Sondhi is not worthy of my trust, and I can only hope that many Thais feel the same.

At the end of the day, let the PPP make a mess of the country, in due time there are new elections, and the people can then dispose of this party and it's coalition partners using the ballot box, in a real democracy, that is the way it is usually done.

I don't think PAD has ever suggested that they should be involved in government. What they are saying is that *this one sucks* :-)

No. That is not right at all. What PAD is saying is that they will create chaos in the country until their minority gets its way of destroying the democratically elected government. While PAD doesn't have the balls to front up a political party to contest democratic elections (simply because they have relatively little support on a national scale), they are certainly getting involved in government by their attempts to overthrow this elected government and install a virtual dictatorial style ruling party.

Chaos?

Been here for 5 years and every single act of violence related to politics was triggered by or directly involved TRT-PPP themselves or the pro-TRT/PPP zombies attacking others.

I also have always, still do and always will blame the unsolved Bangkok bombing on that camp, fits them too well.

And you are worried about PAD creating chaos? :o

Yes PAD have created enough chaos and are the only people who have beaten a man to death.... All your speculation about the past is just more propagandha that you have been fed like your fellow PAD sheep. Oh big bad Taksin.... Get over him and get some sleep.... There is more to life then Sondhi vs Taksin (PPP). PAD are just a Mob of programed robots who most of the time dont relise what the real issues are. If the rule of law worked properly in Thailand Sondhi would of been in jail a long time ago but he is just as currupted as the rest of the PAD leadership... Do a google of your PAD leadership and find out.

Intentional violent acts to shut people up under TRT-PPP is propaganda? :D

Udon mob attack on PAD.

That Karun twit kicking another MP.

World Plaza hired ex-cons and thugs attacking old men under police supervision

Somchai the missing lawyer.

Democrat rally stage destroyed and participants attacked by mob.

DAAD setting up camp within walking distance of PAD and police offering no resistance to them.

DAAD publicly mentioning their intention to attack Democrat headquarters

Conveniently unsolved Bangkok bombings after Thaksin got the boot (people died)

Environmental activists never see again.

I`m leaving out much more others can add to the list.

By trying to dismantle PAD [and others] protests and fight to bring down the government you are helping the PPP and therefor in reality, with your actions, supporting them. No-matter what your heart supposedly feels.

It's they way it works.

I disagree with your logic. Each of these competing factions are rife with their own faults and negative aspects.

Stating that one is opposed to one manipulative group that while claiming to represent the poor, has never done anything for these people, does not mean that one supports the opposing group that is also tainted.

There is a process to get rid of an elected prime minister and that is through a vote of no confidence in parliament, or a general election, or a request from the governing party members that the PM step aside. This is how a parliamentary democracy works. To do otherwise results in chaos and economic loss as is now happening.

The governing party was elected. It formed a coalition with other elected parties to put forward that government. It's not just about PPP. If the other groups are not supportive of the PPP nomination for PM, they can withdraw their support and the nomination will fail.

To attempt to impose the selection of a PM by certain interest groups protesting or by some other vested interests fomenting discord circumvents the electoral process and undermines the concept of an elected government. People are not necessarily supporting Samak, but are supporting the fledgling democratic process. It is that process that must take precedence.

My hunch is that Samak will get his nomination, but will indicate his plan to resign within the year if not sooner. That way everyone "wins".

Edited by geriatrickid

Party debates issue long and hard

People Power Party MPs had an extensive discussion yesterday on whether Samak Sundaravej should be renominated as the party's candidate for the prime minister's post.

Those supporting Samak come from the Northeast factions that are close to the banned but influential politician, Newin Chidchob. Those against the reinstatement were MPs loyal to ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, such as Wasit Payakkabutr and Suchat Lainam-ngoen.

People opposing Samak's return expressed concerns over possibly worsening the political conflict and opposition from anti-government groups like the People's Alliance for Democracy, which has occupied Government House for two weeks.

Jatuporn Promphan, a PPP MP, said Samak was "the best choice" for the PM's seat and that re-nominating him was "in line with democratic rule".

According to a source, the party MPs concluded the meeting by deciding to unanimously support Samak's return.

A number of PPP figures, including former House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat *yet another banned from politics*, were given the job of asking Samak to accept the nomination. Apart from Yongyuth, who reportedly did not fully agree with Samak's reinstatement, most of those on the mission are the ex-PM's supporters.

- The Nation / 2008-09-12

Violent mobs of protesters on the streets armed with clubs and knives is never a pretty sight. Pad proclaim to be a peaceful protest movement yet they took over a TV station and government house by force. Their "guards" are armed with clubs and other weapons and have already beaten one man to death.

So PAD took over government house by force, ousting the police who were trying to protect public property. Then DAAD tried to oust PAD from government house and return it to the governments possession and control. A violent clash occurred which should never have been allowed to occur.

Just who is right or wrong here? I say neither group is right. Both violent mobs on the street are in the wrong and should be moved on. However we have the threat of a military coup if the government moves to use force to restore law and order. And the Army by its refusal to act under the declared state of emergency is covertly backing the PAD protesters.

The core of the problem goes back to the army and those who control it. On one hand we have the army refusing to act to restore law and order while on the other hand we have the threat of another military coup to remove the government if the government uses the police to get the violent mobs off the streets.

Two years ago the army put tanks and armed soldiers on the streets to seize political power. Make no mistake that the intent of this show of deadly force was to ensure no resistance. People were well aware that lives would be lost if they resisted.

Now the army refuses to budge under the pretense that removing the violent mobs off the streets and out of government house could cause people to get hurt. But at the same time would be prepared to use deadly force and put tanks and armed soldiers on the streets to seize political power if the government tries to restore law and order using the police. A real catch 22 situation. A coup by stealth, threat and inaction.

Of course the army generals favour the PADs proposal to abolish democracy and install a 70% appointed government with the army having legal authority to intervene anytime they felt things wernt going their way.

As I have said before democracy will never be allowed to flourish in Thailand until the army (generals) are brought to heel.

The discussion in this forum seems to have degenerated to a childish level of late with sniggers and sneers making up the bulk of some posters content.

Moving on now to...

A meeting between the People Power Party (PPP) today (September, 11th) unanimously resolved to renominate Samak Sundaravej as prime minister despite being disqualified by the Constitution Court.

Samak was not present at the meeting which was attended by PPP members as well as former executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-11

Were these executives part of those banned from politics for 5 years?

As I recall it was only the party executives that were banned from politics for 5 years. The non-executives weren't.

It'll be interesting to hear specifically who was breaking their banishment....unless selecting the next Prime Minister is not considered as political involvement.

and now we know....

The tension grows

A coalition revolt that includes members of the PPP is threatening to sink the chances of Samak returning as PM. The dissidents fear that if Samak returned to lead the government, the political crisis that has shaken Thailand for the past several months and led to numerous violent incidents could deepen. Despite being nominated by the PPP to be PM on Thursday, there is no guarantee Samak will resume the post when lawmakers in the House vote for a new premier. A highly-placed source at Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana party said the Party thought it was not wise to nominate Samak as PM again as public opposition to him has not waned. Other coalition parties also disagreed with efforts to have him re-elected. Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader and Agriculture Minister Somsak Prissananantakul confirmed the party disagreed with Samak's return. A source at Puea Pandin Party said key party executives, including Phinij Jarusombat and Preecha Laohapongchana, would not vote for him. Core leaders of the PPP on Thursday held a meeting at the Party's headquarters to choose a candidate for the post of PM. Key figures at the meeting included Yongyuth Tiyapairat (Individually Banned), Transport Minister Santi Promphat, Yaowapa Wongsawat (TRT Banned #13), a younger sister of Thaksin, and former Thai Rak Thai executives Chaturon Chaisaeng (TRT Banned #2) and Newin Chidchob (TRT Banned #6).

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130601

People Power Party MPs had an extensive discussion yesterday on whether Samak Sundaravej should be renominated as the party's candidate for the prime minister's post.

Those supporting Samak come from the Northeast factions that are close to the banned but influential politician, Newin Chidchob. Those against the reinstatement were MPs loyal to ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, such as Wasit Payakkabutr and Suchat Lainam-ngoen.

Oh my. The Pro-Pad Nation says that Thaksin loyalists are opposed to Samak?

Are those pigs flying by? This may cause seizures and foaming at the mouth to occur in the people saying that Samak is Thaksin's man.

Does this mean that Samak is a threat to Thaksin and that people in TV that have been claiming Samak is a Thaksin clone are wrong? If so, will they acknowledge this or continue to repeat the mantra?

Environmental activists never see again.

I remember the case a few years back of a village headman who was organising protests against the CP group which planned to destroy mangrove near his villagers' fishing areas to create shrimp farms for CP. The shrimp farms would/have destroyed his villagers fishing areas. Mysteriously, a SUV full of men dressed in black arrived in his village one day and the village headman was shot dead. This was CP - the owner of 7/11s and supplier of many foods you buy in supermarkets. After the bird flu 'crisis' small chicken farmers had their farms closed and were replaced by the monopolistic CP. Owner Charoen Popokhand is a close friend of Thaksin.

I read a comment from Heng that sums up Thailand perfectly, paraphrases something like this - the country is run by an organised crime syndicate which wears the clothes of politicians.

Oh my. The Pro-Pad Nation says that Thaksin loyalists are opposed to Samak?

Are those pigs flying by? This may cause seizures and foaming at the mouth to occur in the people saying that Samak is Thaksin's man.

Does this mean that Samak is a threat to Thaksin and that people in TV that have been claiming Samak is a Thaksin clone are wrong? If so, will they acknowledge this or continue to repeat the mantra?

At the end of the meeting, the voting was unanimous... Wasit and Suchart could have been against it only because they'd prefer Thaksin return to assume the premiership. Do you think Samak would have had the unanimous vote if he wasn't backed by Thaksin?

Moving on now to...

Samak was not present at the meeting which was attended by PPP members as well as former executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-11

Were these executives part of those banned from politics for 5 years?

As I recall it was only the party executives that were banned from politics for 5 years. The non-executives weren't.

It'll be interesting to hear specifically who was breaking their banishment....unless selecting the next Prime Minister is not considered as political involvement.

and now we know....

The tension grows

A coalition revolt that includes members of the PPP is threatening to sink the chances of Samak returning as PM. The dissidents fear that if Samak returned to lead the government, the political crisis that has shaken Thailand for the past several months and led to numerous violent incidents could deepen. Despite being nominated by the PPP to be PM on Thursday, there is no guarantee Samak will resume the post when lawmakers in the House vote for a new premier. A highly-placed source at Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana party said the Party thought it was not wise to nominate Samak as PM again as public opposition to him has not waned. Other coalition parties also disagreed with efforts to have him re-elected. Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader and Agriculture Minister Somsak Prissananantakul confirmed the party disagreed with Samak's return. A source at Puea Pandin Party said key party executives, including Phinij Jarusombat and Preecha Laohapongchana, would not vote for him. Core leaders of the PPP on Thursday held a meeting at the Party's headquarters to choose a candidate for the post of PM. Key figures at the meeting included Yongyuth Tiyapairat (Individually Banned), Transport Minister Santi Promphat, Yaowapa Wongsawat (TRT Banned #13), a younger sister of Thaksin, and former Thai Rak Thai executives Chaturon Chaisaeng (TRT Banned #2) and Newin Chidchob (TRT Banned #6).

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130601

Its what you call democracy at work. Elected representatives of the people vote on who will lead the government.

No doubt, whoever gets elected to lead as PM, it wont please PAD as they have made their agenda of destroying democracy and installing an appointed government clear.

I'm curious about the lovely and vivacious, but banned, Yaowapa's position at the meeting to select PM... and where her loyalties laid.

Does she support her husband, current PM Somchai, to retain the PM title... or...

Does she support her older brother, former PM Thaksin, to go with Samak....

It must have been tough...

but then at the end of the meeting, at least Somchai knows where he stands with her...

Edited by sriracha john

I'm curious about the lovely and vivacious, but banned, Yaowapa's position at the meeting to select PM... and where her loyalties laid.

Does she support her husband, current PM Somchai, to retain the PM title... or...

Thankyou for sharing your curiosity John. Does it really matter?

Thankyou for sharing your curiosity John. Does it really matter?

As a major player in the thick of all this, despite her banishment from involvement, I think it does.

Its what you call democracy at work. Elected representatives of the people vote on who will lead the government.

The last time major TRT attendees at the PPP meeting to select the PM were "elected representatives of the people" was a long time ago.

Edited by sriracha john

At the end of the day, let the PPP make a mess of the country, in due time there are new elections, and the people can then dispose of this party and it's coalition partners using the ballot box, in a real democracy, that is the way it is usually done.

Agree with you. Maybe from time to time bad people will be elected but they won’t stay for ever. Democracy will stay, and that's what really matters.

From a discussion with a Thai friend of mine a few days ago :

Thai friend : And what do you do in France when someone you don’t like is elected ?

Me : We wait for the next election

Thai friend : Really ?????

The problem is not about democracy, it’s about education, teaching people what democracy is about. And here I’m definitively not talking about the “poor uneducated PPP supporter”.