Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

I'm curious about the lovely and vivacious, but banned, Yaowapa's position at the meeting to select PM... and where her loyalties laid.

Does she support her husband, current PM Somchai, to retain the PM title... or...

Does she support her older brother, former PM Thaksin, to go with Samak....

It must have been tough...

Thankyou for sharing your curiosity John. Does it really matter?

As a major player in the thick of all this, despite her banishment from involvement, I think it does.

Its what you call democracy at work. Elected representatives of the people vote on who will lead the government.

The last time major TRT attendees at the PPP meeting to select the PM were "elected representatives of the people" was a long time ago.

Just what are you trying to say here John?

Are you trying to infer that the next PM will be elected by banned TRT members rather than the current elected peoples representatives?

PPP members have every right to consult with whoever they like before making a decision to vote. You are trying to confuse party politics by slur and innuendo with the actual democratic voting process here.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes PAD have created enough chaos and are the only people who have beaten a man to death.... All your speculation about the past is just more propagandha that you have been fed like your fellow PAD sheep. Oh big bad Taksin.... Get over him and get some sleep.... There is more to life then Sondhi vs Taksin (PPP). PAD are just a Mob of programed robots who most of the time dont relise what the real issues are. If the rule of law worked properly in Thailand Sondhi would of been in jail a long time ago but he is just as currupted as the rest of the PAD leadership... Do a google of your PAD leadership and find out.

Intentional violent acts to shut people up under TRT-PPP is propaganda? :o

If your source is The Nation, the answer is probably "yes"

I`m leaving out much more others can add to the list.

You're right, you're leaving out much more ... When you highlight someone else post, please highlight what really matters :

Yes PAD are the only people who have beaten a man to death

I'm curious about the lovely and vivacious, but banned, Yaowapa's position at the meeting to select PM... and where her loyalties laid.

Does she support her husband, current PM Somchai, to retain the PM title... or...

As a major player in the thick of all this, despite her banishment from involvement, I think it does.

Its what you call democracy at work. Elected representatives of the people vote on who will lead the government.

The last time major TRT attendees at the PPP meeting to select the PM were "elected representatives of the people" was a long time ago.

Are you trying to infer that the next PM will be elected by banned TRT members rather than the current elected peoples representatives?

Perhaps we could begin by asking the "current elected people's representatives" like the fathers of Sudarat (TRT Banned #2) and Newin (TRT Banned #6) or the wife of Somsak (TRT Banned #18)... then go on to ask all the other nepotistic proxies... if the TRT has any role in the selection of the Prime Minister.

We'll should know the outcome relatively soon...

The Nation:

Two hours ahead of the 9.30 am vote on Friday, People Power Party spokesman Kudep Saikrajang said his party would back Samak's reinstatement.

MP Preecha Rengsomboon of Isaan Pattana faction countered that his faction would not vote the party line. He did not explain whether the faction would reject Samak, abstain or vote for an alternate candidate.

Meanwhile, Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa on Friday called an urgent meeting at 7.30 am before finalising his decision whether to go along with the People Power Party's nomination to reinstate Samak as prime minister.

Yes.

A man stupid enough to storm towards an armed group of people, ready to start a fight. Sadly, he lost the fight that he started. Had that man not attacked, he would not have gotten hurt.

Ever heard of "self defense"?

Thanh

I hear you.

If I understand you well you will support a violent crackdown by the police against PAD supporters who have invaded the government house. And if people die "Sadly, they lost the fight that they started. Had they not attacked, they would not have gotten hurt." Makes sense to me. PAD crowd is lucky Samak is in charge and not you.

Perhaps we could begin by asking the "current elected people's representatives" like the fathers of Sudarat (TRT Banned #2) and Newin (TRT Banned #6) or the wife of Somsak (TRT Banned #18)... then go on to ask all the other nepotistic proxies... if the TRT has any role in the selection of the Prime Minister.

As stated previously, elected representatives of the people have the democratic right to consult with whomever they wish. And party politics very often involves individuals outside the party. Ultimately it is the elected peoples representatives who vote on who the PM will be. And contrary to your idealistic view that MPs should act in isolation outside the influence of internal party politics, -- this is not the case in Thailand or in fact in any other democracy throughout the world.

but then at the end of the meeting, at least Somchai knows where he stands with her...

SJ...it's not raining today. Go outside, breathe some fresh air, smell some flowers, meet some humans and GET AWAY FROM YOUR KEYBOARD!

LaoPo and other PPP-appologists that try to paint that PAD is worse and a bigger threat, please realize one thing. The PAD isn't in power. The PPP are.

By continuously attacking PAD and, with your logic saying that people are stupid to support them and should have such a strong dislike for PPP, you ARE supporting PPP.

The government can and always SHOULD be attacked when they are doing something wrong. That is the obligation of the people. This is why the second amendment is so important in the US. Why the right to free speech and the right to have big demonstrations so important.

I consider PAD a tool amongst many to remove a corrupt regime.

If PAD got into power and worked against my belief I would support whatever faction that was out there that worked to overthrow them.

This is how a proper freedom loving person should reason. You don't support an oppressive and corrupt regime due to others might exist or might, possibly, in the future be bad. You fight them all.

But again you fail to grasp that when you claim that people that are so against PPP are supporting PAD and an 'undemocratic system'. Fight the power.

I disagree with your notion that ridiculing the PAD or being against the PAD, means supporting the current government. That's just not true. I don't give a rat's ass about PPP or Samak or Thaksin or whoever. What I do know is that the PAD doesn't seem to me as being entirely honest. Sondhi is not worthy of my trust, and I can only hope that many Thais feel the same.

At the end of the day, let the PPP make a mess of the country, in due time there are new elections, and the people can then dispose of this party and it's coalition partners using the ballot box, in a real democracy, that is the way it is usually done.

So PPP and crew get a free pass to make a mess of the country,

even if democracy is NOT working as usual here.

In a real democracy most of the laws are set up and adjusted to PREVENT

corruption at the ballot box, no government can go in and change those to

their own advantage for long and survive, such as gerrymandering congressional distircts.

'In due time', great phrase, but it means you support PPP

making a hash of the country under direction of Dr. T.

That is the EFFECT of your position.

How many "entirely honest" adults have you met here?

Basically no exterior watchdogs of ANY level of honesty allowed,

because there was an "election" no matter if it was rigged for a specific outcome,

and the winners are running rough shod over the constitution, and listen to

Dr. T. before the clear spoken voices of all others.

Your words say you don't support PPP,

but the effect of those words is to give them free reign,

hence full support in their goals.

Classic passive aggressive

Edited by animatic

As stated previously, elected representatives of the people have the democratic right to consult with whomever they wish. And party politics very often involves individuals outside the party. Ultimately it is the elected peoples representatives who vote on who the PM will be. And contrary to your idealistic view that MPs should act in isolation outside the influence of internal party politics, -- this is not the case in Thailand or in fact in any other democracy throughout the world.

It's not so much the "internal party politics" as it the internal family politics that I have difficulty with. Does any other "democracy throughout the world" compare with the sheer numbers involved with in the current government?

As for "party politics very often involves individuals outside the party", does that extend to those who's involvement in politics is prohibited?

People Power Party MPs had an extensive discussion yesterday on whether Samak Sundaravej should be renominated as the party's candidate for the prime minister's post.

Those supporting Samak come from the Northeast factions that are close to the banned but influential politician, Newin Chidchob. Those against the reinstatement were MPs loyal to ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, such as Wasit Payakkabutr and Suchat Lainam-ngoen.

- The Nation / 2008-09-12

Oh my. The Pro-Pad Nation says that Thaksin loyalists are opposed to Samak?

Are those pigs flying by? This may cause seizures and foaming at the mouth to occur in the people saying that Samak is Thaksin's man.

Does this mean that Samak is a threat to Thaksin and that people in TV that have been claiming Samak is a Thaksin clone are wrong? If so, will they acknowledge this or continue to repeat the mantra?

Well he may have finally reach the end of his usefulness.

Since he got the country in a shambles and having manuvered

Thaksin's more controlable brother in law next to the top slot.

He was good for what he did, but was never likely to fulfill a full term

at ANYBODY's estimate, not to mention with the 25th looming.

Job done, cut their losses, after making L0UD rumblings against

the courts to save some face. OK courts!

We CAN put him back if we want to, but we changed our minds.

<childish level of sniggers snipped>
The discussion in this forum seems to have degenerated to a childish level of late with sniggers and sneers making up the bulk of some posters content.

==========================================================

Moving on now to...

Samak selected as PM candidate by PPP

A meeting between the People Power Party (PPP) today (September, 11th) unanimously resolved to renominate Samak Sundaravej as prime minister despite being disqualified by the Constitution Court.

Samak was not present at the meeting which was attended by PPP members as well as former executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-11

Were these executives part of those banned from politics for 5 years?

As I recall it was only the party executives that were banned from politics for 5 years. The non-executives weren't.

It'll be interesting to hear specifically who was breaking their banishment....unless selecting the next Prime Minister is not considered as political involvement.

and now we know....

The tension grows

A coalition revolt that includes members of the PPP is threatening to sink the chances of Samak returning as PM. The dissidents fear that if Samak returned to lead the government, the political crisis that has shaken Thailand for the past several months and led to numerous violent incidents could deepen. Despite being nominated by the PPP to be PM on Thursday, there is no guarantee Samak will resume the post when lawmakers in the House vote for a new premier. A highly-placed source at Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana party said the Party thought it was not wise to nominate Samak as PM again as public opposition to him has not waned. Other coalition parties also disagreed with efforts to have him re-elected. Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader and Agriculture Minister Somsak Prissananantakul confirmed the party disagreed with Samak's return. A source at Puea Pandin Party said key party executives, including Phinij Jarusombat and Preecha Laohapongchana, would not vote for him. Core leaders of the PPP on Thursday held a meeting at the Party's headquarters to choose a candidate for the post of PM. Key figures at the meeting included Yongyuth Tiyapairat (Individually Banned), Transport Minister Santi Promphat, Yaowapa Wongsawat (TRT Banned #13), a younger sister of Thaksin, and former Thai Rak Thai executives Chaturon Chaisaeng (TRT Banned #2) and Newin Chidchob (TRT Banned #6).

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130601

No doubt, whoever gets elected to lead as PM, it wont please PAD as they have made their agenda of destroying democracy and installing an appointed government clear.

No they want to destroy the THAKSIN APPOINTED GOVERNMENT.

Chart Thai, Democrat and Pracharaj parties boycot House session

Chart Thai, Democrat and Pracharaj parties have announced that their MPs will boycott the House session to choose new prime minister.

The decisions may cause the session to be postponed.

People Power Party is scheduled to nominate Samak Sundaravej to be prime minister again despite the fact that he was disqualified for the positon by the Constitution Court for violating the charter earlier this week.

So the man from London orders all his employees to vote for Samak as he thinks he's the best person to help him regarding his court cases. Perhaps he's hoping Samak's abrasive personality will lead to further strife, violence, and to another coup- very useful when claiming political asylum.

Never mind Thailand, he doesn't care.

During the reign of Rama 4 and 5 Thailand felt threatened by England's colonial ambitions, and here we are once again threatened by a man from London!

May this upcoming winter be bitter in England.

but then at the end of the meeting, at least Somchai knows where he stands with her...

LOL good point

Let's see.

Hubby married close to the fire.

Big Bro has the biggest pile and owns the forest

the keeps the fire burning.

She went with big bro!

So the man from London orders all his employees to vote for Samak as he thinks he's the best person to help him regarding his court cases. Perhaps he's hoping Samak's abrasive personality will lead to further strife, violence, and to another coup- very useful when claiming political asylum.

During the reign of Rama 4 and 5 Thailand felt threatened by England's colonial ambitions, and here we are once again threatened by a man from London!

Certainly this would bolster his case.

PM nomination adjurned after House fails to make quorum again

The nomination of candidates for the post of prime minister was postponed to next Wednesday after the House failed to make a quorum at 9:52 am Friday.

After the Democrat nominated party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to the post, the People Power Party called for a quorum checking.

The checking found that the House failed to make quorum as coalition MPs would not identify their presence.

House speaker Chai Chidchob then ordered the meeting to be postponed to Wednesday.

He closed the meeting at 9:56 am.

The Nation

Samak accepts Thai PM nomination

Thailand's Samak Sundaravej has accepted his party's nomination as prime minister - two days after he was forced to quit the post.

The People's Power Party said there was nothing in the constitution to stop them from choosing him again.

The move is likely to be opposed by the PPP's coalition partners, as well as thousands of protesters who have sought Mr Samak's resignation.

Mr Samak was forced out after he was found to have flouted the constitution.

He was deemed by a court on Tuesday to have broken constitutional rules by accepting payments for his appearances on a TV cookery show.

"I thank the party for nominating me," Mr Samak, 73, told reporters.

"I am accepting the nomination in order to protect democracy in the country."

The decision to re-nominate him came after a two-hour meeting of the PPP.

Spokesman Kuthep Saikrajang was quoted by the Bangkok Post website as saying Mr Samak had not done anything to damage the country.

His appearances on the show were as a result of misinterpreting the law, rather than from corruption or ill-intent, Mr Kuthep added.

Despite PPP support, Mr Samak will have to overcome some formidable obstacles to become prime minister again, the BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok says.

Thousands of protesters who have been holding a sit-in outside Government House calling for Mr Samak's resignation are expected to be enraged by the latest move.

They accuse him of being a proxy for Mr Thaksin, who was ousted in an army coup in 2006 amid accusations of corruption and abuse of power.

They have said they will continue their protest until a suitable replacement for Mr Samak is found. Mr Samak also faces opposition within parliament, which is due to elect the new prime minister on Friday.

Although the PPP is the largest party in parliament, it does not have an outright majority and four of its five coalition partners have already said they want an alternative candidate.

It was not clear on Thursday whether they would join the opposition Democrats in a vote to reject the nomination.

On top of that, Mr Samak also faces disqualification again later this month if the verdict in a defamation case goes against him.

It raises the question, why does the PPP insist on re-nominating him, our correspondent says. One theory is that they simply could not agree on another candidate. Another possibility is that the plausible alternatives lack the bravado Mr Samak has shown in taking on his opponents.

This will be seen as a provocative decision that does nothing to ease the political crisis in the country, our correspondent adds.

BBC News - Samak accepts Thai PM nomination - Thursday, 11 September 2008 10:29 UK

Edited by Kerryd

I hear you.

If I understand you well you will support a violent crackdown by the police against PAD supporters who have invaded the government house. And if people die "Sadly, they lost the fight that they started. Had they not attacked, they would not have gotten hurt." Makes sense to me. PAD crowd is lucky Samak is in charge and not you.

if you don't mind, can you please tell me WHERE i stated that i support any form of crackdown? In fact it's exactly the opposite - i support PROTESTS ind form of sit-ins (like PAD) or street parades (as common in Europe). However i am STRICTLY AGAINST any form of "crackdown" on such protests, be it from police, army or an opposing protest group.

However IF a confrontation happens (as it did with DAAD vs. PAD) and someone from the ATTACKING crowd gets hurt or killed, i do NOT agree to lay blame on the group that WAS ATTACKED. They only defend themselves. I guess if that DAAD guy hadn't gotten killed, it would have been the PAD guy that he attacked who would have gotten killed.

And all of that mayhem could have been prevented if DAAD would have stayed at their protest site instead of marching to the PAD with the only objective being "battle".

Go to a battle, expect getting hurt.

best regards....

Thanh

A poor analogy - please don't refer to Dr. T as 'a man from London'. Hopefully he's not a permanent fixture but be assured that 'bitter Winter' or not, he personally will not be suffering too much as he sits in his Surrey mansion, living the good life! :o

There is another possibility (the most likely one actually) why they nominated Samak again - their offshore advisor (some Thai citizen somewhere in a large island nation in Europe) said "It's gonna be him or i won't send any more money".

Could be, no?

Thanh

From TOC Channel:

BREAKING NEWS: PM Voting Postponed to Next Wednesday

UPDATE : 12 September 2008

There was not enough MPs present at Parliament for it to convene to vote for a new prime minister. Parliament President Chai Chidchob has postponed the voting to take place next Wednesday at 9.30 a.m.

Only 161 MPs were present, while at least 235 MPs must be present for Parliament to convene. Democrats MP Suthep Thaugsuban tried to petition Parliament President Chai to recount the number of MPs, Chai denied the request.

He then decided to postpone the voting to next Wednesday at 9.30 a.m.

From TOC Channel:

BREAKING NEWS: Chart Thai Will Be Absent from PM Voting

It's been reported that the Chart Thai party will not attend the voting for MPs to nominate and elect a new premier to replace former PM Samak Sundaravej.

In a surprising turn of event the Chart Thai party, thought to be a staunch supporter of the government coalition and the People power party, will not attend the PM voting scheduled to take place today.

Is Banharn steps back from PPP?

And where in the world is Samak?

SNAP UPDATE: Former PM Samak No Where to Be Found

As MPs gradually arrive at Parliament,former PM Samak Sundaravej tricked reporters into believing he has arrived with a decoy car. He's no where to be found.

Reporters are keeping a close eye on the whereabouts of former PM Samak Sundaravej. He's believed to be voted back to resume the post of premier after having been disqualified by the Constitution Court on Tuesday.

There is another possibility (the most likely one actually) why they nominated Samak again - their offshore advisor (some Thai citizen somewhere in a large island nation in Europe) said "It's gonna be him or i won't send any more money".

Could be, no?

Thanh

Thaksin could be possibly bankrolling the PPP, but I don't know what the rules re disclosure of political donations are in Thailand.

I am sure someone will dig it up if its available.

Yes.

A man stupid enough to storm towards an armed group of people, ready to start a fight. Sadly, he lost the fight that he started. Had that man not attacked, he would not have gotten hurt.

Ever heard of "self defense"?

Thanh

His ill considered decision to attack was his downfall.

And much blame attaches to the fools who instigated him to such foolhardiness.

When attacked by a force with superior or more deadly weapons,

one must use more defenders in response,

and escalate the force used with your inferior weapons, if necessary.

These basic principles, coupled with the fog of battle is the reason this poor man died.

LIVE UPDATE

House adjourns urgent session

By The Nation

A coalition government boycott has forced the House of Representatives to postpone selecting the new prime minister to next Wednesday. Please follow our minute by minute report here by keeping refreshing the page.

10.20 am: The quorum check showed 161 MPs inside the assembly hall. In the morning, 248 MPs signed their names for the meeting, which made the quorum. Obviously many of those who signed their names decided or were told not to join the urgent session.

10.15 am: The Democrats, who unsuccessfully nominated their leader Abhisit Vejjajiva during the quorum check, described the postponement as a time-buying tactic to settle differences among PPP MPs and coalition allies.

It is believed that the PPP's "resolution" to reinstate Samak has caused serious conflicts within the coalition government.

10 am: Chai adjourns House meeting. The House will have to meet again next Wednesday. This confirms serious conflicts within the ruling People Power Party over possible nomination of Samak Sundaravej.

Many PPP MPs were absent from the House session today and so were MPs from coalition parties.

9.55 am: The first quorum check reveals not enough MPs are in the assembly hall. Chai announced the House session will be adjourned to next Wednesday, despite some protests.

9.45 am: House Speaker Chai Chidchob is asking for a quorum check. There has been some confusion as to whether he can proceed with calling for a nomination without checking the quorum.

9.15 : PPP MP Areepen Uttarasingh calls for the House to delay meeting to choose new prime minister to be after September 25 when an Appeal Court will consider libel suit appeal against Samak.

9 : 10 am : Chart Thai party's deputy leader Somsak Prissananantakul says after an urgent meeting this morning that his party MPs will not attend the parliament to choose Samak as premier.

8.30 am : Democrat Party MP Thavorn Senniem said his party's MPs will not attend the parliament session in which PPP will nominate Samak as prime minister.

The session will have to be delayed if the number of MPs attending the session are less than half of the quorum or 235.

8.30 am : Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej arrives at the Parliament.

8.05 am : MP Preecha Rengsomboon of Isaan Pattana faction countered that his faction would not vote the party line. He did not explain whether the faction would reject Samak, abstain or vote for an alternate candidate.

8 am : People Power Party spokesman Kudep Saikrajang reiterates his party would back the reinstatement of its leader Samak Sundaravej as prime minister.

7.50 am : PPP MP Preecha Rengsomboonsuk says in an interview with a news television programme that his faction which comprise more than 70 MPs will not change position and vote for Samak.

He criticised Samak of being arrogant and not listening to any criticism. He is the main reasons of political problems at the moment.

7.45 am : Pracharat Party leader Snoh Thienthong has already indicated that he might abstain from House vote at 9.30 am if the PPP insists on nominating Samak.

7.30 am : Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa called an urgent meeting at 7.30 am to finalise his party's position whether to go along with the People Power Party's nomination to reinstate Samak Sundaravej as prime minister.

Party's senior members Sanan Kajornprasart, Warawuth Silapa-archa were seen arriving at the party's headquarter.

PM nomination adjurned after House fails to make quorum again

The nomination of candidates for the post of prime minister was postponed to next Wednesday after the House failed to make a quorum at 9:52 am Friday.

After the Democrat nominated party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to the post, the People Power Party called for a quorum checking.

The checking found that the House failed to make quorum as coalition MPs would not identify their presence.

House speaker Chai Chidchob then ordered the meeting to be postponed to Wednesday.

He closed the meeting at 9:56 am.

The Nation

Insurrection in the ranks,

and maybe they are holding out for a bigger pay out

for the inevitable election to come.

A week for the coffers to be refilled.

In any case 'quorum denial' is a classic and perfectly valid parliementary tactic.

Edited by animatic