Non-immigrant O-a Retirement Visa

Ok I will set the stage here.

I am an American that applied for and received a 1 year Non-Imm O-A multiple entry retirement visa. The issue date was Feb 2008 and the expiry date is Feb 2009.

I have been to Thailand using this O-A visa twice already for short stays. Each time I entered I got a stamp showing a 1 year stay allowed. I just arrived last Saturday and my current stamp shows permission to stay until September 6, 2009. I will be leaving for Kuwait next Sunday and will return to Thailand on or about 1 Oct.2008. I would expect I will have a new entry stamp with permission to stay until Oct. 2009. I will remain here in LOS until about 30 Oct. 2008 and then return stateside.

I intend to retire sometime in Jan or Feb of 2009 but I’m not sure yet if I will return to LOS before the Feb expiry date of the O-A visa.

So the question here is what should I do?

I have been advised at Maptaput Immigration that before I leave the last time in late October I should get a re-entry permit. When I return to LOS in March or April after the expiry of the O-A visa the re-entry permit will allow me back in country on the O-A visa and they will stamp me in for another year.

All experts advice is much appreciated.

The information you received from the Maptaput immigration office is partially correct.

1. Your non-O-A visa has an issue date of ?? FEB 2008 and a “must be utilized before” date of ?? FEB 2009. On every entry you make into Thailand not later than the ?? FEB 2009 date you receive permission to stay for one year. When you will enter Thailand again on ?? OCT 2008 you will receive permission to stay until ?? OCT 2009.

2. Because when you leave Thailand at the end of October 2008 you are not sure whether your next arrival in Thailand will be before ?? FEB 2009, the expiration date of your visa, you should get a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand at the end of October 2008. This will keep your permission to stay until ?? OCT 2009 alive.

3. When you next arrive in Thailand, which you think may be in March or April 2009, you enter the re-entry permit details on the arrival card in the space provided for visa details and you will receive permission to stay until ?? OCT 2009. During the last 30 days of this permission to stay, ie within 30 days before ?? OCT 2009, you apply at the immigration office for your retirement extension.

--

Maestro

Maestro,

You gave me some good advice a couple of months ago in respect to my O-A Ret Visa (multi entry). I'm now good until Sept 2009. Now if what you just said is true, I'll put it to the test shortly. I'm leaving next week and will return sometime Feb 2009. We'll see what Immigration stamps on my return date to BKK. According to you and several others here I should then be good until Feb 2010. And if I leave again before that, it'll get stamped for another year. The way it sounds to me is I can keep this going on for ever. So when do I have to pay the fee's? I'm still skeptical but I'll try to the carry the faith.

By the way, great job you, litebeer and Lop are doing. Thanks. :o

If it’s the re-entry permit you’re taking about you have to get it before you leave Thailand and the fee is 1,000 Baht for a single-entry re-entry permit, 3,800 Baht for multiple entries .

--

Maestro

My understanding of Mrjlh's position is as follows:-

• On the basis (as he has stated) that his multi-entry O-A visa is valid until Sept 09, he won't need a re-entry permit if he leaves Thailand next week PROVIDED THAT he returns to Thailand the day before the Sept 09 expiry date of his visa (which he clearly intends to).
  • If he returns to Thailand on, say, 21 Feb 09, he will then be stamped in until 20 Feb 10.
  • If he then leaves Thailand again on, say, 21 Jun 09, he will need to obtain a re-entry permit UNLESS he returns to Thailand by the day before the Sept 09 expiry date of his O-A visa.
  • If he returns to Thailand the day before the Sept 09 expiry date of his O-A visa, he will then be stamped in until the corresponding date in Sept 10 minus 1 day.

I am, however, not sure of the date which will be stamped into Mrjlh's passport if he returns to Thailand after the day before the Sept 09 expiry date of his O-A visa. Will it be 1 year minus 1 day from the date of his return? If so, then it would, indeed, appear that Mrjlh could, in theory, keep his O-A visa alive for ever and a day without the need for annual extensions through subsequent timely trips abroad!

However, I am by no means an expert in Thai visa matters (unlike Maestro, Lopburi & Lite Beer), and my understanding of the position, based on advice which I have received, is that Mrjlh will need to start seeking annual extensions (with proof of available finances, etc) from some time in Sept 10 at the very latest (on the basis of a trip abroad involving re-entry into Thailand the day before the Sept 09 expiry date of his O-A visa), regardless.

I stand to be corrected by the experts!

Edited by OJAS

On the basis (as he has stated) that his multi-entry O-A visa is valid until Sept 09, he won't need a re-entry permit if he leaves Thailand next week PROVIDED THAT he returns to Thailand the day before the Sept 09 expiry date of his visa (which he clearly intends to).
This is NOT correct!

There are two different dates involved, one is the validity of the visa itself (imprinted on the multi O-A visa sticker received at the embassy), and the second is the stamp you receive when entering the country telling you till when you are allowed to remain in Thailand.

His visa is valid till Feb 2009 as per:

received a 1 year Non-Imm O-A multiple entry retirement visa. The issue date was Feb 2008 and the expiry date is Feb 2009
This means he is free to enter and exit Thailand as many times as he wishes during the validity of the visa. This privilege ends with the expiry of the visa.

And he is allowed to remain in Thailand (after he re-enters Thailand as planned in Oct 2008) till Oct 2009 :

I will be leaving for Kuwait next Sunday and will return to Thailand on or about 1 Oct.2008

In short this means that if he plans to exit and re-enter Thailand between Feb 2009 (the expiry of his visa) and Oct 2009 (the expiry of his allowed to stay in Thailand stamp) he WILL need a re-entry permit.

If he applies for a multiple re-entry permit (3,800 Baht) he then gets to leave and re-enter as many times as he pleases until his allowed to stamp expires in Oct 2009.

As per his plan, 30 days before this happens he can then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Maestro,

You gave me some good advice a couple of months ago in respect to my O-A Ret Visa (multi entry). I'm now good until Sept 2009. Now if what you just said is true, I'll put it to the test shortly. I'm leaving next week and will return sometime Feb 2009.

True IF your return date is before the exact expiry date of your visa, which you stated is Feb 2009. The expiry date to check is the one imprinted on your actual non O-A visa sticker.

If you return after the expiry date, and did not apply for a re-entry permit before leaving then you'll only get 30 day on arrival. If you did apply for a re-entry stamp, you will get stamped in again till your previous allowed to stay stamp, Oct 2009!

We'll see what Immigration stamps on my return date to BKK. According to you and several others here I should then be good until Feb 2010.

True again IF you enter before the expiry date of your visa.

And if I leave again before that, it'll get stamped for another year. The way it sounds to me is I can keep this going on for ever. So when do I have to pay the fee's? I'm still skeptical but I'll try to the carry the faith.

Not true. At that point your visa has expired (on Feb 2009, although you are allowed to remain in Thailand for 1 year counting from your last entry, so you can stay till Feb 2010).

This means that if you want to leave and re-enter you'll need to apply for a re-entry stamp, a stamp which re-mains valid until the same day you are allowed in Thailand.

Each time you leave and re-enter, they will stamp the same date in your allowed to remain stamp as the date you got when last entering with a valid visa. So you will not be getting a year from entering anymore, but every time it will say you can remain till Feb 2010.

When you reach that date it will all end and you have to leave.

Options are to apply within Thailand for an extension of stay based on retirement. This can be done 30 days before the final expiry of your stay.

OK, I'm going to attempt to summarize the forgoing superb instruction in terms of my similar conditions. I have a fresh new 1-year non-imm O-A long-stay multi-entry visa in my passport, expiring Sept. 1, 2009. Warning: all mistakes of interpretation are mine.

1. Visa dates determine everything.

2. On arrival, the immigration stamp sets the first permission to stay until date, yes?. On arrival, for me, Sept. 29, 2008, immigration gives me a permission to stay for one year, correct? So that's Sept. 28, 2009.

3. Permissions to stay: I will be in and out of Thailand several times, so each time I acquire a new permission to stay until stamp, correct? Each one a year long? Which takes me further and further into the calendar.

4. Once the visa expires, you cannot acquire a new permission to stay stamp. Your last re-entry under the 1-year visa period sets your last permission to stay until date. Now my days are numbered, correct? My last departure/re-entry planned is early April 2009.

4. Visa expiry and re-entry permits: Before the visa expires, you must buy a re-entry permit (single or multi) in Thailand so you can re-enter on the basis of your last permission to stay until date. In other words, your visa has expired so all you have left is the last permission to stay date, which in my case should be early April 2010.

5. In the last 30 days before your final permission to stay until date is reached, you can opt for a visa based on retirement. Otherwise you're out and must start the process all over, yes?

OK, I'm ready to duck now LOL. Please make any corrections -- gently, OK?

------------

Visa advisors, thanks so much for all your time and efforts.

All correct apart from the second point number 4.

You do not have to apply for a re-entry permit during the validity of your visa.

You can apply for this anytime during your permission of stay, as long as you apply before leaving the country!

It is possible for example that you do not plan to leave Thailand, and hence never applied for a re-entry, but suddenly unforeseen circumstances force a quick trip back home.

As long as your permission of stay has not expired (which it won't or you would be on overstay!) you can apply for a re-entry stamp...

Maestro,

You gave me some good advice a couple of months ago in respect to my O-A Ret Visa (multi entry). I'm now good until Sept 2009. Now if what you just said is true, I'll put it to the test shortly. I'm leaving next week and will return sometime Feb 2009.

True IF your return date is before the exact expiry date of your visa, which you stated is Feb 2009. The expiry date to check is the one imprinted on your actual non O-A visa sticker.

If you return after the expiry date, and did not apply for a re-entry permit before leaving then you'll only get 30 day on arrival. If you did apply for a re-entry stamp, you will get stamped in again till your previous allowed to stay stamp, Oct 2009!

We'll see what Immigration stamps on my return date to BKK. According to you and several others here I should then be good until Feb 2010.

True again IF you enter before the expiry date of your visa.

And if I leave again before that, it'll get stamped for another year. The way it sounds to me is I can keep this going on for ever. So when do I have to pay the fee's? I'm still skeptical but I'll try to the carry the faith.

Not true. At that point your visa has expired (on Feb 2009, although you are allowed to remain in Thailand for 1 year counting from your last entry, so you can stay till Feb 2010).

This means that if you want to leave and re-enter you'll need to apply for a re-entry stamp, a stamp which re-mains valid until the same day you are allowed in Thailand.

Each time you leave and re-enter, they will stamp the same date in your allowed to remain stamp as the date you got when last entering with a valid visa. So you will not be getting a year from entering anymore, but every time it will say you can remain till Feb 2010.

When you reach that date it will all end and you have to leave.

Options are to apply within Thailand for an extension of stay based on retirement. This can be done 30 days before the final expiry of your stay.

Clarification: My new visa extension will now expire Sep 19th 2009. It has a "Mulitiple Entry Permit". I can come and go as many times as I wish between now and Sep 19 2009. And according to Immigration there is "no time limit" staying out of country as long as I return prior to the expiration date.

I leave next week planing on returning some time in Feb 2009 and maybe making another shorter trip later in the year. And a few short jogs in between, who knows. So when I come back in Feb, is my "Visa approval to stay in the Kingdom," going to be extended until Feb 2010? or "longer" if I was to go, say, in Aug '09 and return just prior to it's expiration date of Sep 19 which then puts me into Sep 19, 2011??? Doesn't sound right to me.

See that's where I'm a little confused. I think others are too. Now that I've gotten my second extension, it gets easier at Immigration. So I'm not worried about getting it renewed again next time but this sounds just too easy. Go out and come back in and get another year and it's basically free.

OK...what this old man's brain not understanding??? :D

All correct apart from the second point number 4.

You do not have to apply for a re-entry permit during the validity of your visa.

You can apply for this anytime during your permission of stay, as long as you apply before leaving the country!

It is possible for example that you do not plan to leave Thailand, and hence never applied for a re-entry, but suddenly unforeseen circumstances force a quick trip back home.

As long as your permission of stay has not expired (which it won't or you would be on overstay!) you can apply for a re-entry stamp...

Argh. Sloppy numbering there, sorry. And I didn't explain "second point 4" well enough either. (Could be because I hit Submit instead of Preview and lost it to the grabby little server. :o )

Come April 2009, I will leave and return to Thailand briefly to acquire a final permission to stay until date. Then I have to immediately return home and won't be back in LOS till after my visa expires. So then I think that means I would have to buy the re-entry permit, probably multi, before leaving the Kingdom. Can you confirm then that once I have the re-entry permit, I can come and go until the final permission to stay until date, which should be about mid-April 2010?

Thanks Monty.

very helpful thread for 0-A M long stay holders

thanks much

1- you don't need a reentry permit as long as you reenter before the visa expiration date (VED) correct?

2-if you leave after the VED you do need a reentry permit, and a single entry will do each time, which will only allow you to stay up to your last allowed to stay stamp date, but no later, correct?

3- as long as the VED is good you can enter at any border any time and get almost a full year, correct?????????

this last question is tres (very) important for me as i am planning on doing a border run around week or so, maybe less, before my A-OM expires

is there any case where 3 is not true????

Maestro,

After re-reading your response several times I think I finally get what your saying. I think! I've here too long not having to think, my brain must be really slow now. I'm a visual guy. I'll just come and go a few times and check my passport. It'll probable sink in more by that time too. I'll post my results if I think it will help later.

Thanks again.

I think it is Important to appreciate that Permission to Stay stamps EXPIRE

when you leave the Kingdom.

When you return - you do so on either the original O-A - if it has not expired.

OR - if it has expired you need to have obtained a Re-Entry Permit prior to leaving

and this will be valid until the date of your last Permission to Stay stamp.

I will again repeat here my Warning that to Prize a very long stay without applying for

a Proper Retirement Extension - MIGHT place you in a position where the 800K

requirement MAY have increased to Bht 1 million or more - if they chose to increase it

before you apply for your first Retirement Extension.

Clarification: My new visa extension will now expire Sep 19th 2009. It has a "Mulitiple Entry Permit".

I leave next week planing on returning some time in Feb 2009 and maybe making another shorter trip later in the year. And a few short jogs in between, who knows. So when I come back in Feb, is my "Visa approval to stay in the Kingdom," going to be extended until Feb 2010? or "longer" if I was to go, say, in Aug '09 and return just prior to it's expiration date of Sep 19 which then puts me into Sep 19, 2011??? Doesn't sound right to me.

JLH, you're getting 'O-A visa' confused with 'extension of stay based on retirement.' And the latter is what you have, based on "visa extension will now expire Sep 19 2009." First, visas can never be extended -- they all expire after no more than a year's validity. So, the 19 Sep 2009 date could only apply to an extension of stay, as you could not possess an O-A visa valid for more than a year. (Out of curiosity, did you ever have a Non Imm O-A -- or did you just extend an O?)

So, no, you won't get another one year stamp when you return in Feb -- since you won't have a valid O-A visa. But with your multiple re-entry permit, your 'permitted to stay until Sep 19, 2009' will remain valid.

as long as the VED is good you can enter at any border any time and get almost a full year, correct?????????

Correct. As long as the O-A's one-year, non-renewable validity has not expired, you'll get stamped in for one year.

(Monty, after scratching my head awhile, I saw where you got Longball (Feb expire, trip to Kuwait) confused with MrJLH. No matter, as the latter was even more confused.)

... my O-A Ret Visa (multi entry). I'm now good until Sept 2009. Now if what you just said is true, I'll put it to the test shortly...

I have no idea what you mean with “Im now good until Sept 2009”

Clarification: My new visa extension will now expire Sep 19th 2009. It has a "Mulitiple Entry Permit"...

“Visa extension” means nothing to me. The website of the Immigration Bureau uses this term incorrectly to mean extension of stay. With what meaning are you using it? For me there are only these two things:

1. Permission to stay received when entering Thailand, ie the “until” date on the entry stamp.

2. Extension of stay received from an immigration office.

--

Maestro

“Visa extension” means nothing to me. The website of the Immigration Bureau uses this term incorrectly to mean extension of stay. With what meaning are you using it?

Has to be "extension of stay," as he could not be stamped in here with a permitted to stay stamp of 19 Sep 2009 -- meaning the earliest his O-A visa could have been issued is 20 Sept 2008. And, I believe, we're not yet in the Twilight Zone with all of this.

But he's certainly well within the time zone (30 days) of extending his last permitted to stay date of 19 sep 2008 for one more year. And if this 19 Sep 2008 date was by virtue of a valid O-A visa, it's easy to see the confusion, especially if folks like Immigration confuse the issue with terms like 'visa extension.' In fairness to Mrjlh, he's been told by Immigration that he's just had a 'visa extension' of his O-A visa, which sure sounds like 'visa is still valid' -- thus eligible for one-year permitted to stay stamps upon each re-entry.

But, as previously said, all visas expire no more than one year after issue date. And they can't be extended. Trying to rectify that statement, with all its implications, with misnomers from many different sources, including official, will keep this forum in business forever.

... my O-A Ret Visa (multi entry). I'm now good until Sept 2009. Now if what you just said is true, I'll put it to the test shortly...

I have no idea what you mean with “Im now good until Sept 2009”

Clarification: My new visa extension will now expire Sep 19th 2009. It has a "Mulitiple Entry Permit"...

“Visa extension” means nothing to me. The website of the Immigration Bureau uses this term incorrectly to mean extension of stay. With what meaning are you using it? For me there are only these two things:

1. Permission to stay received when entering Thailand, ie the “until” date on the entry stamp.

--

Maestro

How can I make this easy to follow. As you just defined it, item 2, Extension of stay received from an immigration office. That is what I have.

I never had a "plain" O-A as someone had asked. I came to Thailand with a "O-A Retirement Visa" which expired in one year after entry and have had "extensions to stay" from Immigration ever since.

Using the Thai words on the passport, I now am "permitted" to stay until Sept 19th, 2009. I have separate "re-entry" permit stamp for "multiple" entries.

As I understand the law, I can come and go as often and as long as I want within the time period of one year without penalty up until Sept 19, 2009. Agreed?

At the end of "one year", I again will apply for another "extension to stay" from Immigration, for another year. In my case on or before Sept 19th, 2009. Agreed?

Now....how can a person under these clear restrictions or rules, exit the country, and re-enter and have your "extension to stay", extended for one more year? That just does not compute for me. If this is true great. Are we not confusing a "different" set of circumstances that I do not fall under?

I think this is the confusion I see from others about this. Like I said earlier I will see what Immigration stamps on my passport when I come back. It sounds too good to be true.

I have no idea what you mean with "Im now good until Sept 2009"

"Visa extension" means nothing to me. The website of the Immigration Bureau uses this term incorrectly to mean extension of stay. With what meaning are you using it? For me there are only these two things:

1. Permission to stay received when entering Thailand, ie the "until" date on the entry stamp.

--

Maestro

How can I make this easy to follow. As you just defined it, item 2, Extension of stay received from an immigration office. That is what I have.

I never had a "plain" O-A as someone had asked. I came to Thailand with a "O-A Retirement Visa" which expired in one year after entry and have had "extensions to stay" from Immigration ever since.

Using the Thai words on the passport, I now am "permitted" to stay until Sept 19th, 2009. I have separate "re-entry" permit stamp for "multiple" entries.

As I understand the law, I can come and go as often and as long as I want within the time period of one year without penalty up until Sept 19, 2009. Agreed?

At the end of "one year", I again will apply for another "extension to stay" from Immigration, for another year. In my case on or before Sept 19th, 2009. Agreed?

Now....how can a person under these clear restrictions or rules, exit the country, and re-enter and have your "extension to stay", extended for one more year? That just does not compute for me. If this is true great. Are we not confusing a "different" set of circumstances that I do not fall under?

I think this is the confusion I see from others about this. Like I said earlier I will see what Immigration stamps on my passport when I come back. It sounds too good to be true.

Mrjlh

They get another one year of Permission to Stay - because their Multiple Entry O-A Visa has not yet expired.

They are not on Extensions of Stay as you are.

And this confusion arises because YOU chose to join a Topic that was started by an OP with

different circumstances to you and the Comments you dont understand apply to him and not you.

I would politely suggest that it would be more helpful if you started your own Topic with your own situation next time.

When you leave the Kingdom your Extension of Stay EXPIRES.

If you have obtained a Re-Entry Permit before leaving then when you re-enter Thailand you will be given a

Permission to stay Stamp valid to the same date as the Expiry date of your Re-Entry Permit.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Quote:  I never had a "plain" O-A as someone had asked. I came to Thailand with a "O-A Retirement Visa" which expired in one year after entry 

They are the same thing

The Visa commonly called retirement visa is a Non Immigrant Type O with the -A added.  This probably means approved. Because you have supplied additional information to get this type of Visa rather than the simple Type O, you recieve a 12 month stamp on entry.  If a multiple entry Visa as most will apply for, you get a 12 month stamp each time you reenter Thailand, but can only do this during the 12 month validity period of the O-A visa, as many have stated.

I went through this process, I have not left Thailand since entering 1st November 2007, so my stamp is 31st October 2008, my O-A Visa, obtained from Royal Thai Embassy London expires on 20th October 2008. I have done my address reporting every 90 days

I now have two choices, one is to go to an immigration office and apply for an extension of stay for retirement or marriage. (I am over 50 and married),  or I do a border run on before 20th October 2008 and will recieve a stamp until, 19th October 2009, (if reenter on 20th October) 

As the reason for taking the trouble to get the O-A in the first place was to allow me nearly two years stay, without moving funds from my offshore bank earning very good rates compared to Thailand,  I  will do the border run, maybe going for a trip to Singapore.

I have no intention of leaving Thailand again in the next 12 months, but if I do I will have to get and exit permit before I leave,  I think of that as keeping my present allowed stay date alive.

Before October 2009 comes I will decide wether retirement or marriage visa is the best way to go and make the proper arrangements in due time, probably the embassy letter on income and the balance in the bank with retirement is the simplest course.

So I will have had nearly 2 years use from my O-A, even though the actual Visa was only valid 12 months from issue.

Edited by johngooding

Hi All

If you're reading this topic thread, may I suggest you simply read the excellent post here by John Gooding Post #21

Quote: I never had a "plain" O-A as someone had asked. I came to Thailand with a "O-A Retirement Visa" which expired in one year after entry

They are the same thing

...I will have had nearly 2 years use from my O-A, even though the actual Visa was only valid 12 months from issue.

I'd have to say Mr. Gooding nailed it all down in simple, clear language. He is dead-on accurate from my experience and with all the past advice I've received from the forum experts... Lopburi, LiteBeer, and Maestro.

I've been all through this same topic of coming-and-going on the O-A visa to get the "free Year" on ThaiVisa forum when getting my O-A visa in USA before arriving.

What always seems to confuse new people is the confusion over Vocabulary. Those dates and Terms Mr. Gooding nailed down so well... are key to understanding this issue.

Your O-A has a date stamped in by the Thai Embassy/Consulate that was done outside of Thailand. Call that the "O-A Date" The "Entry Date" is another matter entirely.

We first time O-A people have 2 Time Tracks running simultaneously and then only one remains. That "free year" everyone asks about is not what you first think. As the experts point out... it means that you get an automatic one-year extension to stay IF your original "O-A" date has not passed over on the Calendar.

In my opinion it is best not to think of this as a "free year". Think of this as it is properly called "Extension to Stay". And you can only get that automatically if your original stamped "O-A date" has not expired on the Calendar.

And this is where confusion sets in... if you re-enter properly before expiration of original O-A visa date, then you have a 1 year Extension to Stay. You now have 2 different time-tracks to keep track of... the original 1 year O-A Visa date, and now you have the second time-track which begins on the day you re-entered.

As soon as your original "O-A date" is expired, you are longer on a valid Visa... you are being allowed to stay with the valid Extension to Stay. And if you intend to get another extension, then you will have to prepare a Thai Bank account to have at least 800K Baht balance at least 90 days before you apply for the 90 Day Extension to Stay for retirement at that time.

If you finally get that there are 2 different time-tracks going on... then it all comes clear.

IMHO - Both johngooding and JGregory verbose posts have used terms that will only create more Confusion.

First JGregoery

In my opinion it is best not to think of this as a "free year". Think of this as it is properly called "Extension to Stay". And you can only get that automatically if your original stamped "O-A date" has not expired on the Calendar.

The "Extra" year that can be obtained from a Multi Entry O-A is NOT an Extension of Stay (They are obtained at Immigration Offices - not at Points of Entry.)

If a holder of a Multi Entry O-A Re-enters the Kingdom just prior to the Expiry date of the O-A visa he will be given a new "Permission to Stay" stamp at the point of Entry which will take him almost one year past the Visa Expiry date.

Second johngooding

I have no intention of leaving Thailand again in the next 12 months, but if I do I will have to get and exit permit before I leave, I think of that as keeping my present allowed stay date alive.

There is no such thing as an Exit Permit.

A Re-Entry Permit is required in those circumstances - and no matter how you think of it, it is that Re-Entry Permit that gives the right of re-entry and not any exhisting Permission to Stay or Extension to Stay stamps.

Permission to Stay and Extension to Stay stamps both Expire and are no longer valid upon leaving the Kingdom.

As the reason for taking the trouble to get the O-A in the first place was to allow me nearly two years stay, without moving funds from my offshore bank earning very good rates compared to Thailand, I will do the border run, maybe going for a trip to Singapore.

As I have said before this might not be the Blessing it seems to be -if the Required deposit is increased from Bht 800k - before you process your first extension of stay.

Edited by WilliamIV

does anyone have experience getting another year on entry at aranypatet (spelling) or ban laem (spelling) recently?

i plan on doing a border run before my OA-M expires around Dec 4

of course i would like to leave as close to the 4th as possible to get the most time but wonder if i should go a week or month early just in case things don't go as planned

thanks all

My O-A visa was stamped - issued in London on 9th Sept 08 with multi entry.

I will arrive in Thailand 8th Oct 08

So if I leave and return just before 9th Sept 2009 will I get a further 12 mth permitted to stay stamp before having to go through the annual extension process??

Edited by Tafia

My O-A visa was stamped - issued in London on 9th Sept 08 with multi entry.

I will arrive in Thailand 8th Oct 08

So if I leave and return just before 9th Sept 2009 will I get a further 12 mth permitted to stay stamp before having to go through the annual extension process??

In my Opinion - you should seriously consider going thru the extension process

at the earliest opportunity.

Bill