Non-immigrant O-a Retirement Visa

Is there no expiration date stamped on your visa? That's the date we need to know to give you a precise answer.

--

Maestro

date of issue 9th sept 08

enter before 8th sept 09

So if you leave and return on or before 7th Sept 2009 you will get a further 12 mth permitted to stay stamp

Hi, there, at the end of this endless item I have 1 question. I will go next November to the Thai Embassy in Holland to get my OA Visa. I'm 61 yrs old. What do I need to produce to get a 1 year O-A from the embassy. I have for 10 million 2 condo's in Jomtien and more than 800k on the bank ??

Hi, there, at the end of this endless item I have 1 question. I will go next November to the Thai Embassy in Holland to get my OA Visa. I'm 61 yrs old. What do I need to produce to get a 1 year O-A from the embassy. I have for 10 million 2 condo's in Jomtien and more than 800k on the bank ??

Application form.

Bank statement.

Police check report.

Medical Certificate.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

Edited by Lite Beer

I would advise you check with the Thai embassy/consulate in the Netherlands to ensure they DO deliver O-A before you prepare all the required documents.

I went through a lot of hassle for nothing because the Thai embassy/consulate in Belgium refused to issue an O-A, the lady at the visa window would just not want to consider my documents.

I was given a single entry 3 months non Imm O in stead and received the advise to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand whilst in the last month of my non-O.

I had my income statement translated into Thai and legalised by the foreign ministry (to my knowledge documents in Dutch are not acceptable to the Thai consulate, because they can't read it) and went through the hassle to obtain a police report (took one month to get) and a notarised medical certificate, all for nothing.

Please let us know the result.

Wimsikkes,

If you're talking about the non-imm O-A multi-entry long-stay visa, I just got the same one from the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada, no problem, except for all the work, as you noted. Where you are located should not matter since it's Thai law. But who knows!?!?!?

Just to add some details, the Embassy in Ottawa wanted: three copies of visa app, each with photo, and a personal data form (which they supplied and I filled out).

The original poster already fled this chaotic scene, so you might as well stop the confusion :o

hugcnx

Whether the OP has fled or not ... Mrjlh and others took over the Topic …

and others contiue to do so.

We should bear in mind that posts do remain on ThaiVisa and are read by anybody

doing Searches on the Subject.

It is important to correct errors as they occur so that future readers are not misled

Bill

My O-A visa was stamped - issued in London on 9th Sept 08 with multi entry.

I will arrive in Thailand 8th Oct 08

So if I leave and return just before 9th Sept 2009 will I get a further 12 mth permitted to stay stamp before having to go through the annual extension process??

In my Opinion - you should seriously consider going thru the extension process

at the earliest opportunity.

My opinion is a little different. He can forego the cost and hassle of documenting an application for an extension until almost two years from now.

His O-A visa, issued 08 Sept 2008, if maximized can have him avoid application for an extension until Aug or Sept 2010. Why should he apply for an extension "at the earliest opporunity," which I read to mean ASAP?

All he will need is a re-entry permit for any trips he makes departing Thailand on/after 08 Sept 2009, to keep whatever permission to stay period he has at that point alive.

My O-A visa was stamped - issued in London on 9th Sept 08 with multi entry.

I will arrive in Thailand 8th Oct 08

So if I leave and return just before 9th Sept 2009 will I get a further 12 mth permitted to stay stamp before having to go through the annual extension process??

In my Opinion - you should seriously consider going thru the extension process

at the earliest opportunity.

My opinion is a little different. He can forego the cost and hassle of documenting an application for an extension until almost two years from now.

His O-A visa, issued 08 Sept 2008, if maximized can have him avoid application for an extension until Aug or Sept 2010. Why should he apply for an extension "at the earliest opporunity," which I read to mean ASAP?

All he will need is a re-entry permit for any trips he makes departing Thailand on/after 08 Sept 2009, to keep whatever permission to stay period he has at that point alive.

wpcoe

I think you must have missed my Previous Post.

To delay getting your first extension - for some people - might not be the blessing that it first appears to be.

It is now a long time since the Bank Deposit/ Income requirement was increased.

Last 2 times it was doubled - first from 200k to 400k then to 800k.

I am just giving a heads up that MAYBE it is time for a further increase.

Nobody knows - MAYBE it will remain at 800k

But if your resources would be stretched by an increase

Then in my Opinion - you should seriously consider going thru the extension process

at the earliest opportunity - Yes - ASAP

But it depends on personal circumstances and whether you like to gamble.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

I have no "income" to prove and will have to get the 800k in the back soon to start the process. I hope the Thai bank will except a US bank check to start with.

It will be better to instruct your Overseas Bank to make a Transfer to your Account in Thailand.

Do a Search on here - there are many Posts on the Subject.

Bill

wpcoe

I think you must have missed my Previous Post.

To delay getting your first extension - for some people - might not be the blessing that it first appears to be.

It is now a long time since the Bank Deposit/ Income requirement was increased.

Last 2 times it was doubled - first from 200k to 400k then to 800k.

I am just giving a heads up that MAYBE it is time for a further increase.

Nobody knows - MAYBE it will remain at 800k

But if your resources would be stretched by an increase

Then in my Opinion - you should seriously consider going thru the extension process

at the earliest opportunity - Yes - ASAP

But it depends on personal circumstances and whether you like to gamble.

Bill

William you seem to be fixated on the possibility of the bank requirement being increased in the future.

As a matter of interest, when the doubling of the previous requirements occurred, were current visa/extension holders grandfathered until the expiry of that visa/extension? And if so, how would it make a difference if they sought an immediate extension, or waited until their visa was due to run out?

I can't believe I read through the past 2 pages of this topic. Anyhow, it sounds mega confusing to me, and I doubt I'm the only one who's not a whiz kid who should be able to juggle all the hair-splitting fine points of visa scholarship.

I just came thru Mae Sai border from Burma, and had to remind the officer on duty to give credence to the type-O 1 year visa stamp I rec'd two days earlier. She had her 30-day stamp in position, inches away from stamping my passport - and I got her attention just in time. Even during my easiest border crossings, Immigration officers spend several minutes minimum combing through my passport, trying to decipher the mish mash of visa stamps.

The point here is, how can we expect the hundreds of Thai immigration folks - at all the borders checkpoints - to grasp the intricacies of Thailand's visa rules? Such same giordian knot visa rules are debated by 'experts' on Thaivisa, to the tiniest details, and still there are discrepancies.

In the big picture of things, Thailand's Imm dept really needs to simplify their processes. I'd venture to suggest they do so while conferring with Thaivisa experts - but that couldn't happen. Why? Too much pride by Thai authorities, thinking they can find solutions for all their problems themselves. Meanwhile, expect more of the same byzantine rules - with a few new hurdles added from time to time.

William you seem to be fixated on the possibility of the bank requirement being increased in the future.

As a matter of interest, when the doubling of the previous requirements occurred, were current visa/extension holders grandfathered until the expiry of that visa/extension? And if so, how would it make a difference if they sought an immediate extension, or waited until their visa was due to run out?

jackspratt

Existing Extension holders were Grandfathered permanently - at least for the time being!!!

I am still on Bht 200,000 NOW.

So getting an extension EARLY can make ALL the difference.

Bill