• Up through Nakhon Sawan
    • Up through Suphan Buri
    • Up through Kanchan Buri
    • Up through Lop Buri
    • Up through Chaiyaphum
    • Up through Korat
  2. 2. Travel Time

• Bring it on, I can do it in one day!
    • Give my poor butt a break, let's stop for a night.
    • I know of a good hotel along the route that I voted for.
    • The route I voted for passes by my house and I'm offering a place for the riders to stay at.

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi All!

I'm still hoping the Iron Butt is a go, but if Tropical Storm Noul is gonna be over our heads I think I'll go surfing instead and hope for better weather for the Chiang Mai Bike week.

I also remain concerned by the itinerary... Looks like awesome roads, but I'm still not convinced it can be done in 2 days. I'm not interested in spending more than 8 hours a day in the saddle or riding in the dark on unknown mountain roads.

Anyway- if the weather cooperates I'll see you for sure on the 21st, but I reserve the right to stop when the sun goes down.

Happy Trails!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

The weather forecast has downgraded the tropical storm to a depression.

Quote from the weather emergency center for Offshore work. " Please note continued weakening of the Tropical Depression over land. The system is expected to dissipate during today. No further Tropical Cyclone Track updates will be issued but forecast will continue to be updated 6 hourly today and will revert to normal 12 hourly advices from this evening unless significant changes are identified. "

Cheers and have a great trip. Bard

post-60239-1226968507_thumb.png

Cheers Bard,

Well, either way it's all good :D

Surf's UP!!! Here's tomorrow's wave forecast:

Nov19Surf.jpg

I'm still hoping the weather will cooperate and we can do the Chiang Mai ride, but if it looks like there's going to be a lot of rain I may have to wax up the boards and head south instead :o

Any other surfers out there thinking about hittin' it?

0729KataSurfBanner.jpg

Happy Trails!

The route you've plotted for day one looks good. Unfortunately I live on the east side of Bangkok and it will take me a good 2 hours just to reach your starting point on Route 323. So- for me the day would be about 640km and 11 hours of riding... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...617981&z=11 :o

I think that Google Maps is quite conservative in their estimations of time. In fact, I'm going from further south than you; if you would take the Minburi to Lat Krabang (3119) you'd save quite a bit of time. We could meet up on Petchaburi and 3344 (Srinarkarin). Petchaburi over to Thanon Witthayu and out to Hwy 4. I'd have to get exact time that it would take you, but according to Google Maps that would only take you 2 1/4 hours to get out to 323. Your longest run (and this is where I believe they overestimate it) is the last section. They estimate a 50 km/h average on 4+ lane roads for the majority of the route? I'm willing to bet that we're able to actually average 75 over that area and drop that section down to 7 hours. I've been wrong before, but that's essentially the same route that I take when we go up from Bang Pu and I've often cruised at 140+ for 10's of kilometers.

11 hours in the saddle is a bit much for me...

Hiya Dave- meeting around Petchaburi (Phat Thanakarn) and Srinakarin sounds fine. What time? Have an actual spot in mind? There's a 7-11 on the left side of Phat Thanakarn about 1km past the intersection with Srinakarin . Would that work?

I've found the Google Maps travel times to be fairly accurate. Don't forget about gas stops, food stops, piss stops, etc :D

Even if we leave Bangkok at the crack of dawn I don't think there's any way we can make it to Mae Sot before dark on the planned route, but I'm up for trying. We can stop in Kamphaeng Phet if need be. What do you think?

I'm going to go get my bike serviced later today in preparation for the trip. Gonna hound them about the arrival date for the ER-6N too! :D

Hope you are well and look forward to hearing from you!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Well having booked plane tickets for the GF I am on.. hel_l or high water, and even then the high water might still be doable !!

The only reason day 2 is so intense is because I have all those tiny tiny backroads marked.. If we sacrifice some of the latter stage and only do kanchanburi to kamphaeng phet on back roads.. With a scoot down the 1 to Tak before we take the 108 travel time drops dramatically.. Also this is a plus as this happens late in the day so we will see how we are doing timewise, see if we have had our fill of small roads by then.. I mean, if its getting late I know that a few bikes can haul ass along the 1 and shave some serious time off the google estimates.

I will do some routes up later which drop the smallest sections and keep us on the 323 / 333 heading up. We will want an early start and organized departure tho, the BKK Mae Sot day is the most full one.

My return has just got interesting.. 2 other guys want to join in on a Laos Cambo route so looking at one hel_l of a loop.. Chiang Rai, Chain Khong / Huai Xai border crossing, Luam Prabang, Vientiane, Savannakhet, Paxse, Stung Treng, Phnom Phen, Sihnaouk, Pattaya, then back down south !! Now thats taking shape !!

For example.. Taking out the start that we each must do.. And making a point at the 323 / 4 as a 9 am meetup.. Then this route is just 8 hours 45 mins.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=....943848&z=8

Also looking at the distance times google sets.. 60kms in hour and 7 mins.. 129kms in 2h 31m !!! I have a feeling those aint gonna take that long even cruising, stopping, etc..

I would say it would be good to set a primary planned route we all like tho.. Much easier to set everything and route it up on mapsource and the GPS's prior than it is to reroute midpoint.. I am down to 2 days now as I need the extra day to make it up there to the start.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tropical-Sto...rt-t223331.html

Gulp..

Been playing around.. If you have mapsource see what you think of this.. Obviously day 1 and start of day 2 is what I am setting up for myself.. Bit concerned day 2 timescale, maybe mapsource is just really conservative on speeds ? Its giving me 14 hours of ride time tho !!

For some reason the mapsource .gpx file I upped didnt post..

Rename this file from .doc to .gpx then its a mapsource set of routable waypoints.. this is the long route version.. We can cut the end down a lot as I said by doing some major roads if it gets late..

Route_3_days.doc

BTW, I have no preferences for route, length of trip and days away.

I'm 99% sure I'm coming.

Am riding XJR1300 . I'll think if I push it I can maintain the requested 90kmh:)

Also keen for the dyno on 20th but Am a little confused on actual details on this one.

Can I get someones phone number to discuss in more detail?

Trent

081 0905868

OK Guys. I have spoked to this gentleman & he will meet us heading out of town morning of the 21st on Rama 4 at Dusit Thani. This can be modified if necessary. Delighted you can join us Trent.

We'll let ya know about dyno trip too.

Regards

Hi All!

Spoke to Trent (nakedAIR1300) today and I think he'll be a great addition to the ride.

Thanks for sending your phone number LivinLOS. Wishing you a safe and fun ride up to the Big Mango.

Haven't heard back from Dave_Boo about definitive meeting place (or time) in Bangkok, but I could easily meet up with Trent at the Dusit Thani on Rama 4. (I wonder if the Dusit will let a Farang biker hang out in their coffee shop) :D:o:D:D

I'm optimistic that the storm will have passed/died by Friday and praying for good weather. I hear it's quite cold up north now, so remember to pack appropriately.

Got the Baby Ninja serviced today and ready to ride!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanx to everyone who phoned me or provided me with their phone numbers. I got all the information I need now except recommendations on a good map to use for this loupe we are doing. Anyway know the best map to buy to give accurate information about roads ect?

Im sooo excited about this trip, I have never been up north so this is a dream come true. I hope the rain stays away as its not very comfortable riding wet!

Still waiting for updated on dyno information, just let me know where and when and ill do my best to be there.

Well, I shall see you all bright and early Friday.

Grrr. Sorry for the late reply, I spent yesterday on the phone with my mechanic when I had free time from work, trying to push things along. I just called again and now he's adamant that the bike won't be ready till after the weekend. Sorry guys, it looks like I'm out.

It looks like you're going to have better than expected weather for it too. Oh well, the winter is just beginning, hopefully I can tag along the next time. :D:o:D

Ok Just spoke to Dave. He & I are meeting up at 6:45 Onnut & Srinakarin.

Looking at the map - I propose we exit Bangkok via Satorn & thus Somdet Prachao Taksin Bridge.

If that's alright - we meet naked in front of Shell Station Suan Plu. 7:15 7:30.

Please advise if this ok for you guys

regards

Edited by dotcom

Ok Just spoke to Dave. He & I are meeting up at 6:45 Onnut & Srinakarin.

Looking at the map - I propose we exit Bangkok via Satorn & thus Somdet Prachao Taksin Bridge.

If that's alright - we meet naked in front of Shell Station Suan Plu. 7:15 7:30.

Please advise if this ok for you guys

regards

Sounds good to me. Talked to Tony; he wants to meet up on Petchburi just after the the flyover at Srinarkarin. Supposedly there's a 7-11 some 1 kilometer down the road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...e=UTF8&z=13

Getting out of Bangkok I will leave to those with an intimate knowledge of the city. When we get outside it, I'll be more than happy to give directions.

Excellent!

All packed up and ready to go!

Trent and I will meet Dave and Dot at the Sathorn/Suan Plu Shell Station between 0645-0700:

SathonShell.jpg

I'll try to get there early and enjoy a coffee and I'll need to top of the tank as well.

Get a good rest- tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day for a LONG ride :o

You guys have left this morning I presume. Have not read the entire thread.

Have a safe journey.

I have done this trip before. BKK to CM in one day. hel_l of a blast. Took us around 8 hours approx....

Would have joined but just seen this so too late for me. Maybe next time.

Well David GTR - they are on their way up to see you.

7am at the Shell - check. Suphan Taksin Bridge - check. Petchkasim Road - check. Becomes the 4 highway - & then the 323 highway.

Dave & Tony ditched me & Trent & we never saw them again for an hour.

We went through downtown Nakhon Pathom & saw the lovely Chedi they are building.

Met up with the first 2 just West of Ban Pong & waited for Livin LoS. He arrived safely. His bike is old but it runs great. Especially for pulling a man of his size.

So off we went toward Kanchanaburi. The plan was to turn North on the 3086 & head up to Don Chong (or Dan Chong). This would be an incredible ride & I will do it again soon.

But we made a wrong turn We were supposed to take the 333 out of Don Chong to Ban Rai to do some back roads. Had lunch & made it to Ban Rai. Service on my bike (loose chain) & cold drinks. Then we headed out to hit some secondary roads for paved twisties. Dave Boo decided to practice his motorcross skills & left the pavement. The road was absolutely greasy with sand gravel & cow shit. The good bits were amazing. Will be back. Running 120-130 not seeing any traffic. I killed a chicken.

The Ninja 250's really surprised me. They are fast - faster than my bike on top end. Any of the guys could pass me at will & they all did. Tony is an expert rider. The XJS is absolutely killer. It has an exhaust on it from a train.

Back to Ban Rai to repair Dave boo bike & I left back to BKK. 3.5 hours - Don Chang Don Chedi Suphan Buri & the 9 highway (ring road) over Phra Pinkloa bridge to Rachatawei road & Petchburi & home

It was great to meet all you guys. I had fun. In 2 years of owning my bike I had never taken it on a long ride - simply because I had no one to go with me.

post-8282-1227273931_thumb.jpg

post-8282-1227273982_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention. A couple of times we found ourselves lost trying to exit the city. We always found some friendly Thai person to give us directions.

We are indeed blessed. We live in this beautiful country We can ride motorcycle 365. Life is good. Be safe out there boys.

Dave Boo - heed all stop signs.

Sounds like a blast DotCom, to bad the job kept me away. Thanks for sharing the report, great stuff.

Are you joining Tony to Bang Saen for the bike week? In that case see you there, take care and have fun.

Cheers Bard

Dotcom what bike you got is it the cb400 or xjr400 because a lot of these bikes from japan are ex riding school bikes and are restricted, they are easy to unrestrict.

i rode an xyr400 a couple of months ago and was really not impressed would not pull past 140kmh when i got back the garage guy confirmed restricted but he would unrestrict. i just thought typical. if that had been me selling it ,it would have been unrestricted already.

And Dave Boo i'm sorry to hear about your accident but i'm glad you are ok.

Livinlos sorry to hear about the engine problems hopefully not to expensive.

Allan

His motor seems to be fine now.

I guess I'll find out if my CB400 motor is restricted when we dyno them.

I saw 150 on my speedo going down a big hill. Which is 10 k fast according to LivinLoS GPS. I'm ruunin at 37 tooth rear so it does better in 5th. It will cruise 130 (120) but I came back about 110 (100) & it was real comfortable & I got great mileage.

Thanks for your replys & encouragement.