Latest Review Of Mexican Places In Phuket

keemapoot

So far, in the past month, we've eaten at BBQ Hut - Patong, 2nd road, near the turn to Kata - (great fajitas, and very good other Mexican dishes in the American style); Coyote - Patong beach road -(well, we all know the formula for this place, high prices, good portions, good food, but not an authentic Mexican place); Banana Sombrero - Soi Sansabai soi behind Tai Pan (place has 3 Mexican guys from I think Mexico City, and the food is more 'real' Mexico City type Mexican food, not what most people think of American Mexican food type. Good taste, very hot, but again, not what many are expecting).

We haven't tried Viva Mexico in years - beach road soi Watanna I think - Anybody have an update on that?

I know the Kata people recommend Blue Fin. I guess Don's does Mexican too, but never tried it.

Any other updates or hidden gems? What's that Taco place in Phuket Town everybody raves about?

Great Mexican place (only have Mexican food) in Chalong, going towards the pier, near pier end of road, opposite 7-11, on right side of the road. Not expensive, great margaritas.

I had tacos there. Rubbish and over-priced. If you can't do tacos, then there's no hope. Never went back.

If I remember rightly, the margharitas were 160 Baht a go. You don't call that expensive?

Edited by Sir Burr

Great Mexican place (only have Mexican food) in Chalong, going towards the pier, near pier end of road, opposite 7-11, on right side of the road. Not expensive, great margaritas.

I had tacos there. Rubbish and over-priced. If you can't do tacos, then there's no hope. Never went back.

If I remember rightly, the margharitas were 160 Baht a go. You don't call that expensive?

Have to agree, I tried their enchilada's and they were disgusting.

Is Sala Mexicali coming back?  I thoght the food there was good, but service veerrryyy slow.  Best mexican I've had in Phuket, although I can't say I've eaten at any Patong mexi places.  I've had Don's, Margaritas in Karon, Los Amigos in Nai Harn, and none came close to authenticity as Sala Mexicali, but sadly it looks like it is gone.

I thought the food at the Banana Sombrero was awful, but I know of others who speak highly of it. Perhaps, as the OP put it, it was not what I was expecting...

You're right. It was nothing special, except for 3 different types of salsa which were great. The chicken in the enchilada was overcooked and tasted maybe left over from the day before. And, that type of Mexican food will not give those with a terrible craving for familiar fare their fix. They'd be better off changing to recipes more familiar to most people.

The one in Nai Harn has real guacamole. Los Amigos by Nai Harn Lake.

Looks like a nice restaurant, but we took a look at the menu and it seems to be all Tex-Mex food - all bready stuff and no Mexican dishes that we could find. Why don't these places call themselves Tex-Mex instead of Mexican?

that dos gringos joint on the chalong pier road is so f**king awful...they have the worst mexican food i have eaten in my life. and to top it off, they don't even have guacamole. the waitresses are rude and the service is often shit. that being said, they do have nice, strong margaritas.

sala mexicali is apparently only closed for rennovations. los amigos near nai harn lake has pretty decent mexican food, and the ladies who work there are lovely and will cook your food made-to-order.

Great Mexican in a small restaurant in the little loop Soi near Cristins in Patong( I think its called Jimmies) Also in Karon, Los Margaritas on the Soi on the left coming inland from the circle.

P

Well, I've been on a tear recently with Mexican cravings, and today tried that place for lunch. BTW, it's called Mike's, not Jimmie's. It is indeed on that little circle soi, tucked away in the back on the right side before you reach Cristins. No parking for cars, only motorbike access really.

Here is the story. First, great, authentic Mexican food, in the style you would find in Southern Cal, Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado. Prices are reasonable. Real pinto beans used, (though not refried), and liberal with good quality cheese. Service was great, with very cute smiling waitresses who insisted on speaking English.

I got to talking with the owner, a very nice Thai lady. She told me her story. Evidently, she worked and trained for years in Pattaya at the Mike's in Jomtien (which I understand is very highly rated on the Pattaya board). She speaks highly of Mike. In Phuket, they've been open about a year, and had a great first high season, though low season now takes its toll. She is a stickler about ingredients and recipe quality control and mostly has family working with her. It's paid off.

I highly recommend this place as the best Mexican I've tried in Phuket (not counting the South Island places recommended earlier in this thread, which I've not yet tried.).

Cheers.

Sorry everybody,

I'm in California now and macking down great Mexican food everyday. Had a KILLER chile verde burrito yesterday, made our own guacamole last night, mmmmmm........

I'll be back to suffer through mediocre mexican soon, but then again, no really good Thai food here..............

Come to Don's next week and let me fix you a free meal. Please identify yourself. Truly Tex-Mex food. One problem with Mexican food in Thailand is the supply of corn tortillas and nacho chips. They are not like the USA as there is no Masa Corn Meal commercially available.

Normally on our Saturday Night Barbecue we have a taco set up along with charcoal grilled steaks, ribs, sausages with a total of 20 foods items that change each Saturday night of the month. This barbecue on Saturday night has been running for 8 years.

Don

great, authentic Mexican food, in the style you would find in Southern Cal, Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado.
Can anyone please explain to me what is authentic about the southern US Mexican food? You can see and taste the origin, but that food has been adapted a lot to the US taste.

Las Margaritas in Karon: nothing good about the food there IMO.

great, authentic Mexican food, in the style you would find in Southern Cal, Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado.
Can anyone please explain to me what is authentic about the southern US Mexican food? You can see and taste the origin, but that food has been adapted a lot to the US taste.

How about...........that it was Mexico (SW U.S.), and there are a lot of Mexican people there to this day?

I went to a Mexican Restaurant in LAX once.

Being Jewish, I asked the waiter if there were any Mexican Jews.

He replied he did not know.

Off he toddled to reception, came back, told me, sorry senor, no Mexican jews.

Being insistant, I asked him to check with someone else.

Away he went again, came back same result.

I suggested he ask the head chef.

Away he went and came back...

Sorry senor, no Mexican Jews, we have, orange jews, apple jews, pineapple.....

I hope this is not seen as racist.....hahaha.

How about...........that it was Mexico (SW U.S.), and there are a lot of Mexican people there to this day?

Like all ethnic food, once it travels to the US & UK it is adapted to local tastes. In the UK you can get Chop Suey, in Asia not on your Nelly. Tex-Mex is great but not Mexican as in Mexico. Same as Thai food, out of Thailand it is nowhere near as good. But we eat what we can get, I cook my own when I can find the ingredients. How about we get together and open our own place - call it 'Authentic Mex'

They also have a new chef now, are really changing the place around new staff and management!

Loads more food on the menu, have even added Thai food so I can eat the Mexican stuff and girlfriend can eat with me which helps.

Since last week they started opening for breakfast, about 8am I think and do everything from fry ups, bacon sandwiches to omelets, I also noticed they are doing a regular BBQ on Thursdays, I went to the one this week and it was busy, great atmosphere and crowded there.

Still reasonable pricing and the Margaritas are only 70 baht, plus they have shots from 10 baht!

Its a nice place to go and chill out and eat. :o

Seriously when was the last time you ate there - "160 Baht a go" completely wrong by glass they sell em for 70 baht and are strong the pitchers blow your head off! We go there all the time now, great times, good food and they are even doing special events and evenings for ex pats!

About 10 months ago.

If you get chance try them again seriously they have changed! Thursdays are a good night plus they have the free BBQ! :o

Every other Friday seems to be a busy night as well, they seem to have a regular thing going for the teachers or something - anyway all the people I talked to were teachers from around Phuket!

About 10 months ago.

If you get chance try them again seriously they have changed! Thursdays are a good night plus they have the free BBQ! :o

Every other Friday seems to be a busy night as well, they seem to have a regular thing going for the teachers or something - anyway all the people I talked to were teachers from around Phuket!

hmmmmm.........newbie onboard pitching pretty hard, does anyone else smell advert?