Latest Review Of Mexican Places In Phuket

keemapoot

I actually decided it was time to cook my own mexican food, and used a few shortcuts to get cheap taco/burrito materials.

Black Beans/ Pinto Beans - Refried:

http://www.ehow.com/how_10722_make-refried-pinto.html

You can get black or pinto at almost any local market, for low prices. 10 baht will get you enough to have a lot of burritos or tacos. Use canola oil instead of lard if you want.

For corn taco shells and flour tortillas, I got sick of paying import prices. Plus I like corn tortillas way more. A buttered corn tortilla with great beans, salsa, some rice and lettuce is the bomb. Makes that cerveza taste like liquid gold.

Corn tortillas are slightly more involved, but they taste killer, and the basic ingredients are all here in thailand, even the limes.

First you need the "masa", this is the involved part, but you master this, and you are fed for life.

With the world economy crashing, you should learn this stuff anyways. :o

http://www.tortillacocina.com/masa.htm

Then you make the tortillas:

http://www.tortillacocina.com/tortillas.htm

This link has both flour and corn, and a link to the "masa" I noted above.

Salsa: it's a science, not even gonna go there.

Guac: i've heard in california if you don't like guac you can be deported. :D

Blue fin makes some ok spanish rice, but they don't have so much of a mex menu anymore. The happy hour tacos are cool. but 4$ USD for nachos, might as well be in beverly hills.

-karlski

Coyote - Patong beach road -(well, we all know the formula for this place, high prices, good portions, good food, but not an authentic Mexican place)

I found Coyote to be the worst place for food and service. Ambience and view was good though.

How about the 250thb margaritas? PANG !

:D:o:D :D :D

News flash people: There are NO decent Mexican food restaurants in Phuket. Not even close to anything worthwhile. Stop whining.

Yo, SA: Make your own. Avocados are $$$ here but go a long way. Burn 'prik chee fah' pepper skins and make fake jalapenos, mix those with burn-skin-removed red bell peppers and render down to make a fairly good chipotle taste. And hey, "El Charro" home made tortillas aren't bad at all!

There is NO decent salsa here either, again, make your own, lots of lime, cilantro and garlic. Use feta cheese to create a fake chile queso de chihuahua.

At home in Patong, we make fantastic 'Loreto' (Baja Califonia, Mexico) style white-seabass fish tacos, and "Half Way House" Ensenada shrimp burritos, all from stuff we got right here in Phuket. Jose Cuervo Gold is 699 Baht at Foodland, keep it in the freezer: Cointreau (or Controy if anyone here knows what that is, heh) and limes... salt anyone? We take all the stuff down to the beach in the late afternoons sometimes and have a blast. Wow, perfect day for it today too, great idea!

OK sorry, OT, but I just can't figure out why nobody seems to be able to do real Mex (or even white boy gringo Mex) commercially here. (Same for pretty much all of Thailand from my experience.) Oh yeah, forgot, there is ONE place in BKK, down a back alley. Saladaeng BTS, off Silom. Past Patpong, turn right, past BenTen, then left. Then it's on the right in the back= good chile colorado, not cheap. Forget Phuket. ed. :(

Edited by blam

:D:o:D:D:D

News flash people: There are NO decent Mexican food restaurants in Phuket. Not even close to anything worthwhile. Stop whining.

You might be right.... I'm still looking.... :( even hoping... :D

I ate on saterday at mikes in patong which on soi diva near cristin massage and it is excellent ,good food cheap margaritas and nice ,if a litttle bit dumb, waitress.

can reccomend it for sure 2 course meal for 3 with a few drinks 1500baht all in.

Seriously when was the last time you ate there - "160 Baht a go" completely wrong by glass they sell em for 70 baht and are strong the pitchers blow your head off!

Well, I fought my way through Chalong Circle yesterday to check out the new cook, and also new bar tender at Dos Gringos. The 70 Baht Margaritas used to blow my head off, yesterday it just tasted all of lime juice. My wife, an expert Margarita maker at home, offered some advice and the next round tasted all sugar.

I ordered my usual Texas Chile, but the new cook served up a bowl of mostly kidney beans with thin grilled cheese on top. Almost no mince/gravy in the mix, so very dry.

Doubt whether we will back, especially if traffic at Chalong continues to be chaotic.

Edited by LivinginKata