Thai Dictionary

crabstix

I am interested in the Acer A-One microcomputer running linux on the 8GB model. I want to experiment with Linux instead of XP. I have heard it runs really slow running XP but ok on linux lite.

Where can I get an Eng-Thai , Thai-Eng dictionary for it. It can be paid or free. I don't mind.

Also what antivirus program do you recommend for the 8GB model? I don't want to slow it down too much as I know the processor is designed to do pnly basic tasls. Also can U use 4Gb sd card to make it 12GB instead of 8? I want to put some songs on it

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have had that machine for about 2 months now, and can give some insight.

The version of Linpus they provide standard with the system stinks - I dinked with it for weeks, with little improvement, and ended up installing XP. It runs ok with XP, as long as you do some install mods. There is a great user forum: www.aspireoneuser.com They have good instructions for doing almost anything with that machine.

That being said, there is a new version of Mandriva Linux that is made with the AAO and Eee in mind. I plan to try this, and make a dualboot system if it is as good as it looks.

As far as Thai-English dictionaries, I have found no good ones for westerners - they all have the Thai words in Thai character, which does me no good.

i would highly recommend against the 8gb SSD version. it's a very slow drive, and you can't upgrade to a normal notebook drive later. Even if you're interested in linux, start with a version that has a real drive. I've seen 160gb / 1GB versions going for $400 USD, not a lot more than the 8gb ssd + 512 mg memory