Thailand Has Destroyed My Shoes

12DrinkMore

When I arrived in Thailand a decade or so ago I brought with me three pairs of decent shoes. Two pairs succumbed to mould and I binned them. That I understand due to the higher humidity. The last pair I took with me four years ago on a rare visit to Farangland. On arrival at the airport I changed from sandals to this pair. Next day I was walking down a road and noticed that all was not well underfoot. The foam rubber (?) soles were crumbling away and large chunks were falling off.

I rapidly found a shoe shop and invested in a pair of expensive (well, 4,500 Baht) walking shoes, that I thought I could use for hiking as well. Came back to Thailand and stored them away. Today I wanted to go for a longish walk, it being the rainy season and not hot I thought I'd use the "new shoes".

Bu99er me, once again the foam rubber soles have crumbled and cracked, I can dig bits off with just my finger and thumb. The body of the shoes, complete with goretex lining are absolutely pristine.

What has happened here? Is there some nasty Thai shoe virus going around, or are shoes just not manufactured to last in temperatures maybe 10-15 degrees higher than in Farangland?

Edited by 12DrinkMore

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's alcolhol fumes Mr 12 beers!

No, seriously get a couple of large plastic sealable boxes, and put anything liable to mould in there. before I did this I had a problem with video VHS tape - all ruined, low quality CDs and anything leather. Put some chemical to absorb any moisure in the box too (forget the chemical name)

No, seriously get a couple of large plastic sealable boxes, and put anything liable to mould in there. before I did this I had a problem with video VHS tape - all ruined, low quality CDs and anything leather. Put some chemical to absorb any moisure in the box too (forget the chemical name)

You probably mean those silicon packets to absorb moisture.

I had two little packs of those silicon packets in my laptop bag and within 4 months they had broken up. Was it the heat do you think? I am unsure

No - your first guess was correct. It's the humidity. I'm sure I'm not the only other one this happens to - a "good" pair of shoes of trainers/runners/sneakers comes 'unglued' when walking down the street. Not just trainers either - quality dress shoes too.

Think about it for a second - ever wonder why anything 'plastic' white, becomes yellowed after a year or two? Same-same..Think about your computer, microwave, fax machine, etc

EDIT: Especially think about your BOOKS!

Edited by thaigene2

I had two little packs of those silicon packets in my laptop bag and within 4 months they had broken up. Was it the heat do you think? I am unsure

Possibly, but I'm not sure. It may depend on how much heat and for how long it's exposed under those conditions. I'm assuming you're talking about the packet cover breaking up, not the silicon. It might be a good idea to toss and replace the olds ones. I use them for my cameras, and have never had a problem though.

SILICON is the stuff used for computer chips.

SILICONE is the stuff used for sealing, lubrication and to increase the mass of sized-challenged breasts.

SILICA is the stuff used to absorb moisture. Once it is saturated, it is of no use. But by heating it in an oven you can expel the absorbed moisture and reuse.

Yes, snap, same thing happened to me. Blundstone elastic-sided work boots. Fairly heavy duty (with i think oil resistant soles). Can't get them here so bought this pair specially to stay at our house in LOS. Fast forward a year or two and I put them on to do some things in the garden and the soles have fallen to bits by the time i walk 50m!

The moisture absorbing stuff (for storage boxes) comes in a large plastic container with an outer seal (which you tear off) and another lid that allows moisture in. They contain white pellets that eventually become liquid as they absorb heaps of moisture (not re-usable). I think i have seen these here in homepro.

SILICON is the stuff used for computer chips.

SILICONE is the stuff used for sealing, lubrication and to increase the mass of sized-challenged breasts.

SILICA is the stuff used to absorb moisture. Once it is saturated, it is of no use. But by heating it in an oven you can expel the absorbed moisture and reuse.

True, but the outer covering of the packets can and do become worn which can break open leaving silicon chips scattered all over. Probably just easier just to replace them before it gets to that point.

Hi all

We're talking about two quite different things here.

The contraptions that you rip the foil off the top of, which contain white pellets and absorb the moisture out of your closet, and eventually run out of those white pellets and have the bottom half of the container fill with liquid, are one thing. The little packets of stuff which are for absorbing (much smaller) amounts of moisture from the air, like in camera packaging for example, are another.

The first is a chemical called "sodium carbonate" (I think, but I might be wrong - someone correct me please if appropriate) which absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and turns into liquid itself, which is captured in the bottom of the container. ("Closet Camel", these things are known as in certain parts of FarangLand.) You put them into the bottom of the cupboard then replace them when they're full of liquid but no more pellets.

The other is "silica gel" which is very different. It will absorb moisture from the atmosphere but WILL NOT turn into a liquid itself; it is for this reason that it's the stuff which is used to pack cameras, memory chips and anything else that needs dry air but cannot tolerate moisture. One of the advantages of this stuff is you can dry it out in the oven (at a v.low temp) and re-use it... professional photographers have sworn by it for many years.

Hope that helps y'all.

Cheers

P

Yes, snap, same thing happened to me. Blundstone elastic-sided work boots. Fairly heavy duty (with i think oil resistant soles). Can't get them here so bought this pair specially to stay at our house in LOS. Fast forward a year or two and I put them on to do some things in the garden and the soles have fallen to bits by the time i walk 50m!

The moisture absorbing stuff (for storage boxes) comes in a large plastic container with an outer seal (which you tear off) and another lid that allows moisture in. They contain white pellets that eventually become liquid as they absorb heaps of moisture (not re-usable). I think i have seen these here in homepro.

You can get those boxes mentioned in almost every supermarket in thailand.Look between the air refreshers.

These Merrells won't rot or slip :o

wolve231882_99190_jb.jpg

wolve231914_131480_jb.jpgand no need for sox! :D

I have some by Timberline, somewhat like the lower pic. Has both velcro tighteners and snap clips. Great durable tread and feels like walking on a cloud. Bought them on sale about 3 years ago, buy one pair get a second pair free. $30 for both pair ($15 each). They're holding up great. Haven't needed to use the second pair yet.

Hi all

We're talking about two quite different things here.

The contraptions that you rip the foil off the top of, which contain white pellets and absorb the moisture out of your closet, and eventually run out of those white pellets and have the bottom half of the container fill with liquid, are one thing. The little packets of stuff which are for absorbing (much smaller) amounts of moisture from the air, like in camera packaging for example, are another.

The first is a chemical called "sodium carbonate" (I think, but I might be wrong - someone correct me please if appropriate) which absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and turns into liquid itself, which is captured in the bottom of the container. ("Closet Camel", these things are known as in certain parts of FarangLand.) You put them into the bottom of the cupboard then replace them when they're full of liquid but no more pellets.

The other is "silica gel" which is very different. It will absorb moisture from the atmosphere but WILL NOT turn into a liquid itself; it is for this reason that it's the stuff which is used to pack cameras, memory chips and anything else that needs dry air but cannot tolerate moisture. One of the advantages of this stuff is you can dry it out in the oven (at a v.low temp) and re-use it... professional photographers have sworn by it for many years.

Hope that helps y'all.

Cheers

P

I did mean silica gel. In a air-tight box it acts as a safeguard, as there is minimal moisture to absorb.

These Merrells won't rot or slip :o

wolve231882_99190_jb.jpg

wolve231914_131480_jb.jpgand no need for sox! :D

I always buy and pretty well continually wear the Scholl equivalent of these - 850 baht. For teaching with socks, and no school has ever fussed. Over 14 years I've worn little else (on my feet I mean!), and I get 10 to 12 months out of each pair. I have 3 pairs on the go at a time, newest for smart wear, oldest for walking the dogs. originally I had some Merrells which lasted about the same, but double the price. Never buy the much cheaper eqivalent say in BigC, about 2 months and caput!

If interested, this topic has also been discussed ongoing for some weeks in the Ladies forum guys: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Disintegrati...es-t206252.html

Thanks for the link. I did a general search, but didn't find it.

It looks like a common problem. But so far nobody has come up with the real reason, what is actually happening to the rubber?

Worked out that my "new shoes" were worn 15 days, so that they cost me about 300 Baht/day's use. My "Adda" sandals from Tesco cost about 200 Baht and last until my GF can't stand the smell/sight of them, about 18 month to 3 years on average. So less than one Baht/day :o

When I arrived in Thailand a decade or so ago I brought with me three pairs of decent shoes. Two pairs succumbed to mould and I binned them. That I understand due to the higher humidity. The last pair I took with me four years ago on a rare visit to Farangland. On arrival at the airport I changed from sandals to this pair. Next day I was walking down a road and noticed that all was not well underfoot. The foam rubber (?) soles were crumbling away and large chunks were falling off.

I rapidly found a shoe shop and invested in a pair of expensive (well, 4,500 Baht) walking shoes, that I thought I could use for hiking as well. Came back to Thailand and stored them away. Today I wanted to go for a longish walk, it being the rainy season and not hot I thought I'd use the "new shoes".

Bu99er me, once again the foam rubber soles have crumbled and cracked, I can dig bits off with just my finger and thumb. The body of the shoes, complete with goretex lining are absolutely pristine.

I buy top quality shoes and sandals and in LOS they just don't last long. Like yours, they crumble, fall apart, etc.

I think the humidity, and getting wet during rainy season cause this. At the same time, we need quality foot wear, and this means repairing and buying new shoes and sandals more frequently.

Well, now I know why nobody where's shoes and there are no libraries!

May I also suggest that before you seal them up in something that they spend a night in an air conditioned room to get the additional moisture out of them and the air before sealing them away.

Dunno, but I brought a pair of shoes over 6 yrs ago, last year went back for 6 months, wore them, and brought them back. Absolutely no problems.

Not kept in any container of any sort. Part of the time they were outside in a shoe cupboard, part on a shoerack in the kitchen. No, they don't stink. :o

I'm glad someone brought this subject up 'cause it's something that's vexed me for a long time. I had a pair of expensive Nike ACG sandals that I didn't wear for a while and they fell apart in the same way others have described. I've had sports shoes do exactly the same thing. I don't think the quality of the shoe has any bearing on the matter, that humidity just eats through anything.

I like to swim but had a break from it for a while and when I next came to pull out the Speedos and the rash vest (combined value of B2,500!), not only had the elastic gone around all the seams but the lycra content of the material had just disintegrated leaving the material loose, floppy and to all intents useless for its intended purpose. Anything with an elastic waistline, cuff or trimming is the same, sooner or later is succumbs to the damp.

It looks like a common problem. But so far nobody has come up with the real reason, what is actually happening to the rubber?

Worked out that my "new shoes" were worn 15 days, so that they cost me about 300 Baht/day's use. My "Adda" sandals from Tesco cost about 200 Baht and last until my GF can't stand the smell/sight of them, about 18 month to 3 years on average. So less than one Baht/day :D

As for what's happening to the rubber, it may be poor quality and subject to breaking down more quickly. Just a wild guess though.

LOL about the stinky sandals! :o

I think fungus is involved in destroying the foam rubber in humid conditions. This is when you see the soft part turn into crumbly, sticky bits. It also happens to the foam that surrounds the cone on some audio speakers. I also had a messy surprise when I took out an internal-frame backpack from storage and found the lumbar pad had turned to dust inside its nylon mesh cover.

I don't know what causes the glue to come undone, but I've had a pair of training shoes and some Teva sandals come unglued so the sole just fell off, without showing signs of foam crumbling away. We took them to a shoe repair place and got them glued back on good as new for a very low price.

I am glad someone else has this problem.... I thought I had termites or something.

I came to Thailand with a few pairs of shoes 5 years ago, and have worn all of them every now and then. I went to a meeting a few months back and had to wear the good pair. sure enough I walked into the hotel lobby and was leaving a trail of black stuff all over the place. I have big feet and it is very hard to find shoes my size over here that do not look like they belong to Coco....

I went home and checked my other shoes, same thing, they were all cracked and falling apart.

anyway, if you have big feet you can find half decent shoes in Timberland shops. 45+ sizes... they are not cheap though, and start around the 3,500 mark.

I'm glad someone brought this subject up 'cause it's something that's vexed me for a long time. I had a pair of expensive Nike ACG sandals that I didn't wear for a while and they fell apart in the same way others have described. I've had sports shoes do exactly the same thing. I don't think the quality of the shoe has any bearing on the matter, that humidity just eats through anything.

What's disapponting is that even top quality, expensive footwear by major brands don't last long.

If I think it's going to rain, I wear the cheap flip-flops for casual outings.

If I'm on my way to work, I put the nice shoes in a bag, wrapped in a plastic bag, wear cheap sandals, and then put on the nice shoes after I get to work.

I truly believe that when it comes to footwear, we cannot go cheap. Our feet have a lot of weight on them. Joints, movement, etc.