Samak Bows Out

Buckwheat

I will try to make this simple for you. New Mandala (the site that cmsally linked to) is not a forum, and Nick Nostitz who wrote the article, and whom I quoted, is a journalist who contributes to it.

If you really want to be a moderator your borderline posts are not going to help.

Actually nick did used to post here, I cannot recall immediately what his login was but I do know he was banned. NN2K or something like that.

He is staunchly pro TRT and has very direct experience and knowledge of rural Thailand via his work and his family; I would not exactly call him the same type of journalist as some others on this site (i.e. employed by a national/regional organisation, acredited).

His views, while built on a very different platform to my own are valid as are mine, so it is a pity he cannot post here anymore.

I would describe his understanding of economics to be similar to most other TRT/PPP types (including guys like Somkid, probably one of the only TRT/PPP people I can think of other than Thaksin who truly understands business and how it works) as extremely limited. In the case of politicians, this is not helped by complete unwillingness to listen to advisors who actually do know something.

If someone wants to reference him, I guess that's the same as referencing any other opinion piece. it isn't exactly like referencing Journal of Marketing Science or that fine precedent Re. Hong Kong Fir Classification.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More disagreement will likely mean the House will be dissolved and elections held. "If differences can't be settled, and opinions are still split into two sides, it's very likely the party could announce a House dissolution by noon" (0500 GMT) on Tuesday, said Deputy PPP Leader Karn Thiankaew.

Who's running this dog and pony show??? :o

because Mr. No Thought never thought of dissolution....

No election - for now

Acting PM Somchai Wongsawat said on Tuesday he was certain that politicians could haggle a new government - and said he had not even considered dissolution of the House. "We should be able to negotiate and compromise this afternoon," he told reporters ahead of a key meeting of the PPP. "We will work it out. I have never thought about dissolving parliament." House dissolution and yet another election appeared highly likely early on Tuesday, after the PPP split on Monday over who should be the next PM. Parliament is to meet to elect a PM on Wednesday. It appeared that tough political bargaining - including over who will get ministries in the next government - will keep parliament in session. PPP's "Friends of Newin" Chidchob faction has reportedly been awarded 8 cabinet seats in exchange for not splitting the vote for PM on Wednesday. "We will respect the outcome of the party meeting this afternoon," said Boonjong Wongtrairat, on behalf of the 70-plus other "Friends". Coalition partners Chart Thai and Matchima Thippataya also have been assured of certain cabinet posts - assuming Somchai's nomination sails through on Wednesday moring. For the moment, tension has eased but not dissipated. The PPP and coalition partners are to meet the press on Tuesday night, and

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130711

Edited by sriracha john

I guess those 8 Cabinet positions and some Don Meuang airport contracts and several assorted pastry-boxes did the trick...

u_turn.png

Somchai moves step closer to PM job as split in PPP ends

A key faction of People Power Party which initially opposed nomination of Somchai Wongsawat as prime minister changed its mind on Tuesday.

The so-called Friends of Newin faction said it will support Somchai, brother-in-law of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, for prime minister.

The change of position came on Tuesday after the faction, representing about one-third of its lawmakers had refused to endorse Somchai on Monday, saying his family ties to Thaksin would incite protesters who have occupied the main government compound for three weeks.

Boonchong Wongtrairat, a faction's member, said the party's differences had been settled.

"We have resolved to support Somchai after the party executives listened to our concerns. We are ready to comply with the majority" in the party, Boonchong told reporters.

"Somchai must announce in parliament how he will reduce conflicts and tensions in Thailand, how he will achieve national reconciliation and how he will preserve the constitutional democracy with the monarch as head of state," he added.

Boonchong also said Somchai should not attempt to use his ties with Thaksin for political benefits.

Somchai, brother-in-law of Thaksin is now set to be backed by the PPP's five coalition partners at a meeting later Tuesday.

Parliament is set to vote on the prime minister on Wednesday.

- The Nation / 2008-09-16

Looks like a clear case of kid-in-a-candy-store syndrome... "Gosh Gee Willikers, I get THAT many mega-projects?"

kidinacandystore.jpg

Mr. No Thought at today's PPP meeting that will make him the next Prime Minister of Thailand?

==================================================

Thai ruling party claims consensus on PM candidate

Thailand's ruling People's Power Party has reconciled with a renegade faction and agreed to nominate Somchai Wongsawat to become prime minister.

Party spokesman Kuthep Saikrajang said Tuesday a faction of 73 lawmakers dropped their objection to backing Somchai, who became acting prime minister last week after a court forced Samak Sundaravej to step down.

One of the dissidents, Suthin Klangsang, said at a news conference that the breakaway group accepted the party's choice "after a discussion of the party and after listening to Somchai."

The dissidents had claimed picking Somchai would inflame political tensions. Suthin did not explain their change of mind. *which explains a lot*

Parliament is supposed to vote Wednesday on a new prime minister.

- Associated Press / 2008-09-16

Looks like a clear case of kid-in-a-candy-store syndrome... "Gosh Gee Willikers, I get THAT many mega-projects?"

kidinacandystore.jpg

Mr. No Thought at today's PPP meeting that will make him the next Prime Minister of Thailand?

Thailand's ruling People's Power Party has reconciled with a renegade faction and agreed to nominate Somchai Wongsawat to become prime minister.

Party spokesman Kuthep Saikrajang said Tuesday a faction of 73 lawmakers dropped their objection to backing Somchai, who became acting prime minister last week after a court forced Samak Sundaravej to step down.

One of the dissidents, Suthin Klangsang, said at a news conference that the breakaway group accepted the party's choice "after a discussion of the party and after listening to Somchai."

The dissidents had claimed picking Somchai would inflame political tensions. Suthin did not explain their change of mind. *which explains a lot*

Well SJ, you would also look like a child in a kid in a candy store, if you just recognize that soon you'll get xx.000.000.000 Baht for almost nothing, just because you married the right girl....

kidinacandystore.jpg

Well SJ, you would also look like a child in a kid in a candy store, if you just recognize that soon you'll get xx.000.000.000 Baht for almost nothing, just because you married the right girl....

and its easy to guess who would be the real boss in such a relationship....

Edited by sgtpeppers

kidinacandystore.jpg

and its easy to guess who would be the real boss in such a relationship....

I think there is enough to feed everyone well....

Specially now after they agreed that they don't need to feed Samak anymore.

There are some good writings on NM, but this Nick Nostitz poster is not of this caliber, as was previously discussed.

When we get to the point where we are quoting his posts in the replies to his blog on this forum, its carrying it to a different and new level. I have no problem with people linking an interesting item here, even to blogs... but to follow-up it up with posts from the forum follow-up comments is inviting others to take it onboard and begin quoting bearpit as was previously exampled.

the media world is changing, you don't have only the printed papers or the classical news agency, but also 'independent' online only publications, why not have a look at them. of course not every blog. there is valuable stuff online, worth to get considered. i think you know that. the so called critics, the ones start to question things, point out the dark spots.

but you are right here, "some good writings on NM, but this Nick Nostitz" not. it's to much of a mission, a weak attempt of counter propaganda.

for sure the reds deserve a second view and there is more like only the bad side and pictures we saw of them but this home story is OVER.

nothing to applaude frenetic. it includes a part of truth. but you must deconstruct BS, not start to try to selling it.

on the other side we should take "news" from TOC also of the list. TOC "news" are mostly plain silly. and we can see silly "news" also from Reuters and sources a like.

and your mission to collect here only "real news", would be more respected if your selection is not onesided and you would refrain from adding your remarks. some this "news" having zero journalistic quality.

lot of the evolving discussions would better belong to the general topics instead in a news thread, but is hard to control. and with a mission you are not the one to moderate.

There are some good writings on NM, but this Nick Nostitz poster is not of this caliber, as was previously discussed.

When we get to the point where we are quoting his posts in the replies to his blog on this forum, its carrying it to a different and new level. I have no problem with people linking an interesting item here, even to blogs... but to follow-up it up with posts from the forum follow-up comments is inviting others to take it onboard and begin quoting bearpit as was previously exampled.

the media world is changing, you don't have only the printed papers or the classical news agency, but also 'independent' online only publications, why not have a look at them. of course not every blog. there is valuable stuff online, worth to get considered. i think you know that. the so called critics, the ones start to question things, point out the dark spots.

but you are right here, "some good writings on NM, but this Nick Nostitz" not. it's to much of a mission, a weak attempt of counter propaganda.

for sure the reds deserve a second view and there is more like only the bad side and pictures we saw of them but this home story is OVER.

nothing to applaude frenetic. it includes a part of truth. but you must deconstruct BS, not start to try to selling it.

on the other side we should take "news" from TOC also of the list. TOC "news" are mostly plain silly. and we can see silly "news" also from Reuters and sources a like.

and your mission to collect here only "real news", would be more respected if your selection is not onesided and you would refrain from adding your remarks. some this "news" having zero journalistic quality.

lot of the evolving discussions would better belong to the general topics instead in a news thread, but is hard to control. and with a mission you are not the one to moderate.

Oddly enough or maybe not most people acrioss different walks of life tend to read a newspaper, view and internet site or watch a TV program with a viewpoint broadly similar to their own. This is probably even more true for people unlike us who dont obsess on commenting on sites such as this. Most people are not going to read/view a balanced cross section of media even in so called developed countries.

Persoanally I prefer to read things I dont agree with, but I have never really found many people who have the same penchant for such forms of self abuse

I think we just have to live in the majority world that people say and support what they believe rather than try to criticise it. You can find more of that appraoch maybe on academic sites but they dont have the same entertainment value as say TV does and usually because of the acdemic nature of the site have limited readership and of a more edcuated class, not that I have anything aginst the educated classes :o

Oddly enough or maybe not most people acrioss different walks of life tend to read a newspaper, view and internet site or watch a TV program with a viewpoint broadly similar to their own. This is probably even more true for people unlike us who dont obsess on commenting on sites such as this. Most people are not going to read/view a balanced cross section of media even in so called developed countries.

Persoanally I prefer to read things I dont agree with, but I have never really found many people who have the same penchant for such forms of self abuse

I think we just have to live in the majority world that people say and support what they believe rather than try to criticise it. You can find more of that appraoch maybe on academic sites but they dont have the same entertainment value as say TV does and usually because of the acdemic nature of the site have limited readership and of a more edcuated class, not that I have anything aginst the educated classes :o

for the pleasure of quick and fast information - "easy news" are okay and of course a Reuters report is of high value. that is maybe for the majority for the visitors here.

but all the pureness of "real news" you can forget as soon as the threads become messy when we all share our opinions, you know. the minority of people left, posters like us. and i am pessimistic that we will find a agreement of what is good communication style. but before i start with attemps to moderate i should be without flaws.

a few people posting here selected news that favors only their own view. that got excessive quoted in full lenght by the thread flodder mob.

one of them thinks of himself as a modarator and questioning everything what comes from an independent source of a new media world that is not like 10 years ago, but only if he dislike the content. his reason is some idea of the "real media you can trust" that is often ignorant. reports of what i saw yesterday on television are okay if it shares his opinion. that is lame.

but in this particular case he was right, or i told him he is right, IMO. that blog entry was biased. and there is no reason to post here also comments on blog entries on other sides or from other forums, that are hardly news. only opinions and an opinion should one elaborate by himself and not just quote opions of others in the same style the "real news" normally got represented.

and of course read the things you don't agree with. that can be entertaining, OMG, har har but also educating. i learned, got new ideas and also convinced of things i didn't agree with in the first point on web boards. at the moment TV is more a OMG, har ha.... facepalm board.

i agree, i agree things to read can be very boring.

upps, now we are total OT and things have been said that have been said 1000 times already.

ohhh, look at http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/. looks like the PAD cult announced a big nasty fight. that sounds not good.

The accused attempted murderer curiously talks about unity... it's unknown if the interviewer asked questions from behind the relative safety of a refrigerator...

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

A unified nation Somchai's main goal: Yongyuth

Bringing unity will be at the top of the agenda when People Power Party Deputy Leader Somchai Wongsawat takes over as prime minister, former PPP Deputy Leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat said.

"Plugging rifts in the society is most important at the moment. It's time we found ways to reconcile and restore peace," he said, adding that the party's key members had discussed the issue and agreed to put it on the table.

Somchai's lifting of the state of emergency on Sunday is part of the grand plan, he said.

Yongyuth told The Nation that Somchai would set laws aside and send conciliatory signals to the People's Alliance for Democracy.

"The government would show that even though it has the tools to take action against PAD, it would not use them," Yongyuth explained.

The government will then find ways of starting negotiations with "conflicting parties", he said.

"There must be some tools, maybe not laws, to facilitate the talks and make them a reality," he said.

Moreover, he suggested the government and PAD find a common ground and join activities.

"The activities should be constructive, such as rehabilitating Government House," he said.

The government would also encourage the PAD and other parties to take part in politics in a useful manner by doing such things as examining the government.

Yongyuth said the PPP did not expect the Somchai government to stay for long. Once the country is unified, he said, it might dissolve the House.

Though the party does not have an exact time-frame, Yongyuth said he believed the government would not seek to amend the Constitution because it would only cause problems.

In Yongyuth's opinion, people best suited to mend the country through mediation were monks.

"There are many monks who know about public administration and political science. With their mediation, people should be willing to cooperate," he said.

After his voting right was revoked in July following conviction for electoral fraud, Yongyuth, a close aide of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, has kept a low profile.

He only surfaced after the Constitutional Court disqualified Samak Sundaravej as PM on September 9, when he was given the job of pushing for Somchai to replace Samak.

Chulalongkorn University political scientist Trakul Meechai said unity would be impossible to achieve unless Somchai declares that legal action would be taken against Thaksin without any political interference.

Moreover, he said, Somchai must vow to not amend the charter.

"Yongyuth's word would not be enough. It must be Somchai's policy declaration to take legal against Thaksin seriously. We should also not let monks get involved in politics. It is not their affair," he said.

Democrat executive and opposition chief whip, Sathit Wongnongtoey, said this unifying plan should only be taken into account when the prime minister declares it to the Parliament.

- The Nation / 2008-09-17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addtional information on the interviewee is available at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Deputy-Leade...79.html&hl=

Deputy Leader Of The People Power Party To Stand Trial For Attempted Murder, Former Thaksin Cabinet Minister and 7 Police Officers accused

Thailand's future is now secure knowing that it is in good and capable and honest hands.... or is it?

rest_sl109.jpg

From left, Secretary-General of the Matchima Party Anongwan Thepsuthin (proxy wife of Banned TRT executive), Leader of the Pracharaj Party Uraiwan Thienthong (wife of former TRT executive and a criminal litigant in a huge corruption case herself), Leader of the Puea Pandin Party Suwit Khunkitti (former TRT MP), Deputy Leader of the ruling People's Power Party Somchai Wongsawat (husband of one Banned TRT executive and brother-in-law of another Banned TRT executive), Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa-archa ('nuff said), and Leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Party Chetta Thanajaro (the lunatic who had some actors announce that he had brokered the infamously faked Deep South cease-fire), raise arms following their press conference in Bangkok, Thailand Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2008. The ruling party announced Tuesday that it has reconciled with a renegade faction, clearing a hurdle toward the selection of Somchai as a consensus candidate for prime minister.

Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin's brother-in-law to be nominated as new Thai PM

Five coalition partners of Thailand's ruling People Power Party on Tuesday agreed to support Somchai Wongsawat, brother-in-law of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, as the new prime minister, party officials said.

Earlier in the day, Somchai's nomination was officially decided by a consensus among PPP lawmakers, according to PPP spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang.

Leaders and key members from all five coalition partners announced at a press conference they support Somchai's leadership and are ready for the election to be held in the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

Somchai has been serving as acting prime minister since the Constitutional Court terminated the premiership of Samak Sundaravej for breaching conflict of interest rules by appearing on cookery shows while in office.

He was deputy prime minister and education minister in Samak's Cabinet.

At the press conference, Somchai dismissed speculation that he would soon dissolve the lower chamber and call a snap election.

Due to a split between two major factions in the PPP over Somchai's nomination, it was widely reported that Somchai, as a caretaker prime minister, might have to dissolve the house.

When asked about bringing Thaksin back to Thailand to face justice, Somchai said his government would not protect any particular individual. *I guess that means we can expect Thaksin's diplomatic passport and Potjaman's regular passport will both be revoked within the next few days due to their outstanding arrest warrants*

Thaksin, accused of corruption and abuse of power while in office, jumped bail to Britain last month after his wife was sentenced to three years in jail for tax evasion.

The Supreme Court is set to rule Wednesday if Thaksin is guilty of abusing power to enable his wife to buy a land in a prime area at cheap price from a state agency.

- Kyodo / 2008-09-17

Five coalition partners of Thailand's ruling People Power Party on Tuesday agreed to support Somchai Wongsawat, brother-in-law of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, as the new prime minister, party officials said.

Earlier in the day, Somchai's nomination was officially decided by a consensus among PPP lawmakers, according to PPP spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang.

Leaders and key members from all five coalition partners announced at a press conference they support Somchai's leadership and are ready for the election to be held in the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

Somchai has been serving as acting prime minister since the Constitutional Court terminated the premiership of Samak Sundaravej for breaching conflict of interest rules by appearing on cookery shows while in office.

At the press conference, Somchai dismissed speculation that he would soon dissolve the lower chamber and call a snap election.

Due to a split between two major factions in the PPP over Somchai's nomination, it was widely reported that Somchai, as a caretaker prime minister, might have to dissolve the house.

When asked about bringing Thaksin back to Thailand to face justice, Somchai said his government would not protect any particular individual. *I guess that means we can expect Thaksin's diplomatic passport and Potjaman's regular passport will both be revoked within the next few days due to their outstanding arrest warrants*

Thaksin, accused of corruption and abuse of power while in office, jumped bail to Britain last month after his wife was sentenced to three years in jail for tax evasion.

The Supreme Court is set to rule Wednesday if Thaksin is guilty of abusing power to enable his wife to buy a land in a prime area at cheap price from a state agency.

- Kyodo / 2008-09-17

A far more interesting question is will the new government continue to protect Sondhi L. from charges of treason carrying the death penalty?

When asked about bringing Thaksin back to Thailand to face justice, Somchai said his government would not protect any particular individual.

- Kyodo / 2008-09-17

The PAD has shot themselve in the foot. Thaksin rules. TIT. :o:D:D

PPP Deputy Secretary-General assures that internal party conflicts all resolved

Deputy Secretary-General of the People Power Party Sukumpong Ngon-kum affirmed that internal conflicts of the Party concerning its selection for a candidate in the Prime Minister election have ended.

That must have cost a bit :-)

PPP Deputy Secretary-General assures that internal party conflicts all resolved

Deputy Secretary-General of the People Power Party Sukumpong Ngon-kum affirmed that internal conflicts of the Party concerning its selection for a candidate in the Prime Minister election have ended.

That must have cost a bit :-)

Exactly: The Best Party Money Can Buy!

Six coalition parties agree to support Somchai as PM

Leaders of six coalition parties agreed last night (September 16) to support Mr. Somchai Wongsawat, People Power party (PPP) deputy leader, to be new premier.

They held a news conference last night (September 16), announcing their decision to nominate Mr. Somchai to be Thailand’s 26th premier to the Parliament on Wednesday September 17 and to form new coalition government later. The conference was attended by Mr. Somchai, Chart Thai party leader Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa, Pracharaj deputy leader Mrs. Uraiwan Thienthong, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana leader Gen Chetta Thanajaro, Matchimathipataya party leader Mrs. Anongwan Thepsuthin, and Puea Pandin leader Mr. Suvit Khunkitti.

Mr Somchai, caretaker prime minister, said that the new administration would adopt previous government’s works and further improve them. The new government, he added, would be run with transparency and fairness.

The new cabinet line-up will be done after Parliament and the King endorse Mr. Somchai as leader of the new administration. Mr. Somchai said that the coalition parties would review whether to maintain current cabinet line-up.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 September 2008

Atmosphere vibrant as parliament moves to select new PM

A special meeting of the House of Representatives today set to begin at 9:30 AM has set its priority agenda for the selection and approval of an individual to take the position of Prime Minister.

The atmosphere at the meeting today is lively despite a previous meeting last Friday September 12th being cancelled due to not reaching quorum.

Leaders of all 6 Coalition parties have made their way to the Parliament to attend the meeting, including Mr. Somchai Wongsawat who is the Coalition pick for the premier post.

Government supporters have begun to arrive at the Parliament House to cheer on the process.

Hundreds of security officers and authorities are overlooking the situation underneath and around the parliament.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 September 2008

Actually nick did used to post here, I cannot recall immediately what his login was but I do know he was banned. NN2K or something like that.

To be more correct, i actually have spoken and Nick is not so much staunchly TRT/PPP as super anti PAD. Actually, I suspect in his heart, he might formerly have been a Democrat.

He is infact acredited, and works primarily in the pictures bits rather than the words bits.

I stand by my point that those of you referencing an opinion piece are not going to be having the same impact as a legal precedent opinion/judgement or 'facts' if there are such a thing.

House meeting reconvened to elect PM

House Speaker and Parliament President Chai Chidchob reconvened a House meeting at 9:30 am Wednesday to elect the new prime minister.

The meeting was adjourned from Friday.

Source: The Nation - 17 September 2008

Leaders of six coalition parties agreed last night (September 16) to support Mr. Somchai Wongsawat, People Power party (PPP) deputy leader, to be new premier.

They held a news conference last night (September 16), announcing their decision to nominate Mr. Somchai to be Thailand’s 26th premier to the Parliament on Wednesday September 17 and to form new coalition government later. The conference was attended by Mr. Somchai, Chart Thai party leader Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa, Pracharaj deputy leader Mrs. Uraiwan Thienthong, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana leader Gen Chetta Thanajaro, Matchimathipataya party leader Mrs. Anongwan Thepsuthin, and Puea Pandin leader Mr. Suvit Khunkitti.

Mr Somchai, caretaker prime minister, said that the new administration would adopt previous government’s works and further improve them. The new government, he added, would be run with transparency and fairness.

The new cabinet line-up will be done after Parliament and the King endorse Mr. Somchai as leader of the new administration. Mr. Somchai said that the coalition parties would review whether to maintain current cabinet line-up.

That probably cost a bit too!

I wonder who gets to be the new defence minister? That will be an interesting one.

Any bets on longetivity of the government?

Sompong nominates Somchai as PM

Sompong Amornwiwat, a deputy leader of the People Power Party, nominated Somchai Wongsawat as a candidate for the post of prime minister at 9:36 am Wednesday.

The nomination was endorsed by 280 MPs.

House Speaker Chai Chidchob then announced that the race between Sompong and Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva for the post had officially begun.

Chai abstains

Parliament President Chai Chidchob abstained during the roll-call voting of the new prime minister.

Chai drew laughter when he added that he is neutral.

Somchai Wongsawat, the candidate of the People Power Party, was seen smiling to Chai's comment.

The roll-call voting is still going on.

I wonder who gets to be the new defence minister? That will be an interesting one.

The Thai version of As The World Turns is running much longer than the American version which started back in 1956 :o

LaoPo

Parliament meeting to select new PM kicks off

A special meeting of the House of Representatives to select the new Prime Minsiter to take the place of recently dismissed PM Samak Sundaravej today has kicked off as scheduled.

The meeting is being chaired by House Speaker Chai Chidchob and began with Deputy Leader of the People Power Party Sompong Amornwiwat (สมพงษ์ อมรวิวัฒน์) presenting the name of current Interim PM Somchai Wongsawat as a candidate for the vote.

Mr. Sompong had 280 votes in support of his proposal from the present 296 MPs.

Chart Thai party leader says party ready to name ministers within 3 days

Leader of the Chart Thai party Banharn Silapa-archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) revealed to the press that his party has yet considered the matter of ministers within the soon to be established Cabinet, but projected that within 3 days of the instating a new Prime Minister, the party would be able to decide on its choices for Cabinet Ministers. Mr. Banharn commented that the speed at which the Cabinet would be established however is dependant on the People Power Party as it is the lead party in the Coalition Government.

The Chart Thai party leader indicated that he is still content with the previous cabinet quota given to his party of 5 seats. Asked whether or not any adjustments would be made to current serving Chart Thai ministers, Mr. Banharn answered that he did not yet know.

"a couple of months"

Thai Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee...

"Most of the political observers think the new government may not last longer than a couple months," Surapong said. "Political turmoil is a very crucial factor for the economy."

Defense minister = Friends of Newin faction

PPP's "Friends of Newin" Chidchob faction has reportedly been awarded 8 cabinet seats in exchange for not splitting the vote for PM on Wednesday.
Edited by sriracha john

"a couple of months"

Thai Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee...

"Most of the political observers think the new government may not last longer than a couple months," Surapong said. "Political turmoil is a very crucial factor for the economy."

Defense minister = Friends of Newin faction

PPP's "Friends of Newin" Chidchob faction has reportedly been awarded 8 cabinet seats in exchange for not splitting the vote for PM on Wednesday.

Well if that is true it could provide some fun. Either he is getting into bed with the soldiers (and please dont resurrect the rumours on Newin's sexuality) or this has mass instability written all over it

By the way why are there only 296 MPs present out of 480?

UPDATE - Parliament confirms Somchai as PM

Parliament on Wednesday provided a majority vote for Somcahi Wongsawat, the brother-in-law of coup-ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, to become the next prime minister.

More than 240 members of Parliament had already cast their votes for Somchai less than an hour after the special session opened, assuring him the premiership.

Somchai on Tuesday secured the nomination of his People Power Party and its five coalition partners, who together hold 306 of the 480 seats in the Lower House. (dpa)